• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you believe in God?

• Yes

Votes: 357 12.1%
  • No

Votes: 2,583 87.9%

• Total voters

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Belief in God isn't simply belief in God. It's not all the same thing. I think if you could somehow know the percentage of people who genuinely believe there is a God as an absolute fact and as described in their religion, it would be in single digits. These are people who adhere to all the rules of their religion because they know the consequences of not doing so are very real (to them, obviously).

In my opinion, most passively believe for social or existential reasons (ie. community/family and not having to worry about death and ethics in a real sense), and that it's usually a general, vague belief in a "higher power"; even if expressed within the context of a religion. It's a paper-thin belief that doesn't get in the way of whatever they want to do.

Last edited:

nded

Nov 14, 2017
A lot of Americans are all about denying accountability and self-reflection so they like an inscrutable sky daddy to lay the blame on instead.

Risk Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
I know it has fallen a lot in recent years but that number still shocked me. Way too high and, imo, one of the roots of a lot of problems in the US (and other countries).

The number of posts in here dunking on believers of religion are quite disrespectful tbh. It's completely acceptable to believe or not believe in God, but don't be an ass and ridicule people for it. It makes the whole lot of you seem childish.

Idk man, people dunk on flat earthers all the time and that's fun, is it really that different.

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
The problem of evil and suffering is something that pokes a gaping hole in almost every monotheistic religion and the response "yeah, but free will" collapses in on itself when you realize that an all knowing, all powerful and all good God would realize that free will would lead to evil and suffering which, again, he didn't stop by preventing us from having free will which conflicts with the all knowing, all good, all powerful thing again.

The answer is that God currently exists in a splintered form, with the Godsoul being split into people, squirrels, and aliens and the Godpower being split into stars, gas clouds, Magnetars, pulsars and such.

In this splintered form, God is not all-knowing and all-powerful in the way we humans can conceive of, and that is why bad things happen. There is no one at the proverbial wheel. Now, of course, at the end of all time and the heat-death of the universe, God will be united once again, and the cycle will continue.

There is a good reason why God splintered. Being at the wheel meant nothing ever happened or changed. Infinity and the tiniest fraction of a second are indistinguishable from each other when you are divine, you see. So all the evil, all the pain, hatred and other things we think of as "of the devil" are only lasting a a fraction of a Zeptosecond (which is also an infinity of time).

Now, of course, my puny human brain can only understand so much, so the above description will not be flawless, but I think it's as close to reality as I can make it right now.

ejoshua

Oct 27, 2017
This place makes me feel like an asshole for being in a higher power.

I'm sorry guys, I'll do better.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Belief in God isn't simply belief in God. It's not all the same thing. I think if you could somehow know the percentage of people who genuinely believe there is a God as an absolute fact and as described in their religion, it would be in single digits. These are people who adhere to all the rules of their religion because they know the consequences of not doing so are very real (to them, obviously).

In my opinion, most passively believe for social or existential reasons (ie. community/family and not having to worry about death and ethics in a real sense), and that it's usually a general, vague belief in a "higher power"; even if expressed within the context of a religion. It's a paper-thin belief that doesn't get in the way of whatever they want to do.

Almost half of Americans say their religion is important to them. Tons of folks believing in a god as a fact and as described in their religion.

It can't be a paper-thin belief if half of the people polled say that it's important to them.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017

Yup, none of this should be remotely surprising to anyone remotely familiar with statistics, and systems thinking/dynamics. Many/most people will casually throw out a belief in god; it's not highly consequential to their day-to-day life.

Much/most people here who's even remotely left make the same mistake as the general population of thinking that they are of the majority ethos/worldview. The insults hurled at anyone religious is just low effort "I bet you also like McDonald's" level shit

Last edited:

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
I'd be willing to accept the existence of a higher power, but the Christian God and all similar deities don't cut it. I haven't been a believer since I was a teenager.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
An America with the majority not believing there are eternal consequences for their actions? Woof. Dangerous times ahead for our selfish lot.
Bullshit. I said to myself I wasnt going to post in this thread but this is straight up condescending and demeaning bullshit. First off if you need an outside source to make you ethical your broken, and that has nothing to do with belief or non belief. Some of the most ethical people I know are atheists, cultural religious, spiritual, and casual believers. In America it's hardcore religious (the same type who believe you need god to be ethical) that are involved with and propagate the worst and most unethical shit). As a queer person I know they are the ones trying their hardest to eliminate people like me. They are heavily involved with gun nutter. Etc ad Nauseam.

And I am not bashing all religious people. I am a big proponent of freedom of religion and separation of church and state. Believe whatever you want and worship or don't whatever you want, but keep it out of my face and don't try to legislate how I live my life based on whatever it is you believe. It's the hardcore Christian's in America (the same that believe you need a book to tell you how to be good) that are engaged in the very unethical behavior of trying to legislate their "morality" on to everyone else.

If your against abortion rights, queer rights, womens rights, and in those circles and white spaces the rights of non whites while also trying to defang any kind of sensible gun reform your ethics don't exist so how is that book helping anyone be moral?

Again super bullshit.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Had no idea the U.S was so overwhelmingly religious, explains a lot lol
81% being the lowest is sad

What really matters is the kind of religiosity a majority of people express.

It doesn't matter if someone thinks "sure, there could be a higher power in the universe", if they don't place religiosity over the consequences of their beliefs and actions in the material world.

the drop is likely caused by a multitude of reason but I feel a significant part is deeply entrenched Christianity has become in politics. So many contentious issue have faith and doctrine attached to it, it's not a surprise that a some people would "well geez you're trying to make my/my friends & family's lives worse, why should I invest in your belief structure?"

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
In Latin America this could be even worse. Almost 90% or more.

Personally, I was raised as a catholic. Did believe in god, jesus, did the first communion and went to church when I was a kid. But seeing how corrupt the catholic church was, how the priests raped children and yet nothing happened, how nuns accepted bribes without a second though, made me question that faith. And that's nothing compared to how many religious people claim LGTBQ+ people shouldn't exist because of the bible. As a teenager, I said fuck it. If god did exist, he is a motherfucker. With all that power and yet he allows his cultists do heinous stuff. Or, he approves that, which is even worse.

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
If anyone needs some *NOT* edgelord content from atheists with some very thoughtful, measured, empathetic, and rational discussion, try 'Belief It Or Not' on YT, as well as 'Genetically Modified Skeptic'.

They're ex-christian/mormon (I think) and talk about their lives and why they left, how they were treated when they left, how they found themselves, what they do with their lives, etc. and they never hit below the belt, and try their best to understand and empathize with their critics so they both have a better understanding of eachother etc.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
God doesn't exist but I'm happy for people to worship one, so long as it's not a shield for bigotry.

Worship is actually the part I have the biggest problem with, because that's what permits the level of unreasoning zeal with which bigotry is perpetuated.

Worshipping stuff is creepy. I know there's no such thing as gods, because the only difference between gods and mundane lifeforms is the idea that gods should be worshipped. From my perspective, nothing should be worshipped, ever; so no being that exists is a god. If there is an extrauniversal creator, deifying it would be madness, especially if it encourages worship in exchange for orchestrating good in the universe.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Bullshit. I said to myself I wasnt going to post in this thread but this is straight up condescending and demeaning bullshit. First off if you need an outside source to make you ethical your broken, and that has nothing to do with belief or non belief. Some of the most ethical people I know are atheists, cultural religious, spiritual, and casual believers. In America it's hardcore religious (the same type who believe you need god to be ethical) that are involved with and propagate the worst and most unethical shit). As a queer person I know they are the ones trying their hardest to eliminate people like me. They are heavily involved with gun nutter. Etc ad Nauseam.

And I am not bashing all religious people. I am a big proponent of freedom of religion and separation of church and state. Believe whatever you want and worship or don't whatever you want, but keep it out of my face and don't try to legislate how I live my life based on whatever it is you believe. It's the hardcore Christian's in America (the same that believe you need a book to tell you how to be good) that are engaged in the very unethical behavior of trying to legislate their "morality" on to everyone else.

If your against abortion rights, queer rights, womens rights, and in those circles and white spaces the rights of non whites while also trying to defang any kind of sensible gun reform your ethics don't exist so how is that book helping anyone be moral?

Again super bullshit.

The idea that religious belief is ontologically necessary for good ethical/moral foundations is, and I agree with you here, bullshit.

A more problematic truth here, I think, is the idea that people over a larger population needs to have a very generalized source of simple moral direction. You can kinda make a case that an overwhelming amount of the caustic authoritarian, fascist, right wing (and even some extreme left wing/moderate) thinking is rooted on the human need to seek simple answer to grand, likely unknowable ethical dilemmas.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
I'm gonna echo some of the comments here that mention christian/catholics as some of the most vile, hateful people they know.

They say the most disgusting shit, and do some horrible fucking things, but speak about how loving god is, spread his good word, and all this other fucking nonsense.

Fuck them.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
Had no idea the U.S was so overwhelmingly religious, explains a lot lol
81% being the lowest is sad
Asking someone if they believe in god and them saying "yes" doesn't really make them "religous" anyway. A lot people feel like they have to answer yes because they are bad people if they say no. Organized religion has that effect on society.

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
There's a big difference between being culturally religious and dogmatically religious, which is a nuance that I think is usually lost on the internet. I have multiple degrees in French studies and know that France is very strongly culturally Catholic, but the number of French people I've met that are personally religious is pretty low. I think belief in God is much more firmly rooted in a cultural Christianity as opposed to strong personal religion for a large chunk of those people.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe in God but I'm cool with belief in God. I'm intolerant of intolerance though.

I'm not especially religious either. For a while I was still religious without believing in god. That was an interesting time.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
I'm shocked at the difference between the OP poll and the ERA poll. That's a huge disparity, considering the heavy North America userbase.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
If you're talking the Christian God specifically, then I don't believe in that one. Being an agnostic, though, I won't outright rule out the possibility that a supreme being of some kind does not exist.

That being said, I also don't look down on those who do. I'm not one for judging how you find your place in life. If religion brings you comfort, then I'm fine with that. Where I have the problem is that the same courtesy, for the most part, is not extended.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
My little corner of Scotland is the least religious bit - 66% say they are non-religious. This compliments the number of people who pray every day - 11% which is also the lowest. This is from a 2018 Humanist Society Scotland polling thingy but sounds right to me. The US having 81% as their low is mindboggling to me, as you might expect if you come from somewhere non-religious like I do.

Oct 25, 2017
In the abstract I am as well, but in reality that one, innocent seeming thing has big implications on how people treat each other in this world. And not always for the best.

Also being cool with it definitely doesn't mean I think it's rational of course.

You can have a belief in God and not have it drive your day to day. As has been noted in this thread already there's much more nuance to this discussion.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
I'm shocked at the difference between the OP poll and the ERA poll. That's a huge disparity, considering the heavy North America userbase.

The further left you go, generally, the less religious one is. However, in a place that makes fun of folks' beliefs, it would be less likely for folks to admit to a belief in a god.

There's a big difference between being culturally religious and dogmatically religious, which is a nuance that I think is usually lost on the internet. I have multiple degrees in French studies and know that France is very strongly culturally Catholic, but the number of French people I've met that are personally religious is pretty low. I think belief in God is much more firmly rooted in a cultural Christianity as opposed to strong personal religion for a large chunk of those people.

Likely but many times it functions the same way. I've known folks who don't have a strong personal religious relationship but still hold the same toxic beliefs with the same rationale.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
An America with the majority not believing there are eternal consequences for their actions? Woof. Dangerous times ahead for our selfish lot.
I do not share your thesis that humans require a theistic code of conduct to behave in an ethical and moral manner. If fear of being judged by a higher power is truly what is keeping you from behaving immorally/amorally, that's a you thing, not an us thing.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Lol at 81% after everything our generation has gone through. Like a being with the will or capability to do something to course correct existing would have done something otherwise it's totally inept, which then what is the point of believing in it.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The idea that religious belief is ontologically necessary for good ethical/moral foundations is, and I agree with you here, bullshit.

A more problematic truth here, I think, is the idea that people over a larger population needs to have a very generalized source of simple moral direction. You can kinda make a case that an overwhelming amount of the caustic authoritarian, fascist, right wing (and even some extreme left wing/moderate) thinking is rooted on the human need to seek simple answer to grand, likely unknowable ethical dilemmas.
As much as it pains me to say it I don't think your wrong either, and I think it plays into my point when finding that direction in religion can have just as many horrible and immoral consequences as good ones. And like I said I don't think that's a religious problem (and as with the example of Facism for instance that hole isn't always filled with religious dogma) as much as a human condition issue.

Clear

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
I do not believe In a higher power, in my life experiences it has been used as a crutch or to explain something away and that just never worked for me. Horrible things being "god's plan" just made my blood boil.

Granted I know a lot of individuals who find comfort in god and it brings them peace so who am I to question their beliefs. I am a control freak so part of me knows I don't believe because it empowers me.

Nov 9, 2017
Réunion
81%? That's huge! I thought it would be well below 50%. So I'm surprised but then I remember what I keep seeing on Twitter and I'm not surprised anymore.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
The number of posts in here dunking on believers of religion are quite disrespectful tbh. It's completely acceptable to believe or not believe in God, but don't be an ass and ridicule people for it. It makes the whole lot of you seem childish.
I have condolences for the tiny minority of Americans following beliefs that aren't based on oppression. It's a shame that Christians, and people who choose to associate with oppressive churches, give them such a bad name.

Era users are younger and more left leaning. In the poll, the leftest they polled were 'liberals', which means it denotes everyone from left to center-right.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Considering only around 66% of Millennials believe the earth is round I'm not surprised.

People like dumb digestible ways to explain and cope with reality.

I understand why though. Religion is very appealing to people because it gives them purpose, community and structure.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I always find these figures hard to believe, I don't have a single friend or family member that believes in god

I'm not in the US, no idea what it would be for the UK

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I do not share your thesis that humans require a theistic code of conduct to behave in an ethical and moral manner. If fear of being judged by a higher power is truly what is keeping you from behaving immorally/amorally, that's a you thing, not an us thing.
At no point did I state that humans require a theistic code of conduct, but it has actually has been researched and studied that religion does impact moral behavior (if I recall, the last study I remember reading concluded that it wasn't as much religion, but belief in an angry, punitive higher power and eternal damnation was a better predictor of more moral behavior than solely belief in religion).

Spirituality doesn't make you an asshole, don't let the beliefs of others make you feel bad about yourself.
100% this.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I don't believe in god, but I'm jealous of the support and community structure that churches and other places of worship offer.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's ludicrous in the modern world to still believe in God. 81% is just stupidly high. The 40% of believers who think good intervenes is straight up scary though. No wonder we can't make any progress in this country when they many people don't take responsibility for their actions because they think god is doing shit. Believing in magic in this day and age is just willful ignorance.