• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see our fellow ERA members are safe. But looking at all of the damage is heartbreaking.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
For comparison Oklahoma City was 2 tons of ammonium nitrate. So this would be like 25 of those trucks going off at the same time.

Or actually, thousands of them.

That's legitimately the scariest thing I've read in a long time. Would easily be the biggest non war time explosion outside of nuclear testing that I can think of.

Edit: Could be Jordan misreading something. I'd hope so because that's unimaginable.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
That's dramatic, watching these scenes is so painful... why wasn't all that sodium nitrate disposed of? It's terrible.. hoping Beirut ERA users are safe..

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
That's what I'm talking about don't think fireworks are capable of such blast.

Oh yes they are

www.youtube.com

Destroyed In Seconds - Fireworks Explosion

Employee in Fireworks factory drops some fireworks, and ignites the whole factory, causing a massive explosion.

Just not this one in particular but there are several massive similar accidental explosions in history around the world you can look up from Gas explosions to fireworks factories etc

People seem to forget what things are capable of producing explosions outside of things deliberately made to make them

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
Why are people still mentioning fireworks? It was Ammonium Nitrate, so a fertilizer. Are people just not reading the thread? Can we get the statement by the government about it marked or put in the title.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

Local reporter, says 50 tons of Nitrate were offloaded 10 years ago from a ship that needed repairs, the ship never came back for the Nitrate.

These materials should've been disposed off, but our country is wracked with corruption and incompetence.

Wow! That's absolute negligence.

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
thats awful and now the port is destroyed which is going to completely ruin their economy

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
That's what I'm talking about don't think fireworks are capable of such blast.
A nearby large stock of confiscated chemical that hadn't been disposed of. Basically sounds like they ended up with a tragic worst case scenario accident because of certain substances being stored in unsafe proximity.

Edited because I see different chemicals listed. I'm poor in my chemistry knowlege, so I don't know which one would be correct.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018

Fire lead to Fireworks explosion then it reached the Ammonium Nitrate barrels, over 50 tons, that caused the big explosion. That's the current official line.

Why are people still mentioning fireworks? It was Ammonium Nitrate, so a fertilizer. Are people just not reading the thread? Can we get the statement by the government about it marked or put in the title.

The Nitrate explosion was the secondary and more powerful one, the primary is the fireworks.

Primary explosion then larger secondary.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
Damage report from home.

One glass window smashed, one glass door smashed, TV has small bits of glass in it but still working, curtains ruined, and my mom has a lacerated finger.

My Uncle also lost several windows, a TV and had to have stitches from window shrapnel.

CNN mentioned the explosion could be felt 150 miles away.

There were reports that it was heard from Cyprus.

Oct 27, 2017
Explosion happen around 400m in front of me, I was in a cab getting back from work, my co worker with me, our road home takes us past Port of Beirut into Downtown and upwards.

When we reached the fire brigade 400m before the port we saw a huge black plume coming out from the port, then a massive shockwave and explosion. Two cars in front of us were smashed by the wave, we got out and ran back.

Less than a minute later, smashed cars, bloodied people, babies. We walked back home through Gemayze which is near the port, it's a freaking war zone.

I lived through two Israeli wars and no airstrike does this amount of damage, the whole of Beirut is ruined.

This is 30 minutes after the explosion, the epicenter at the port.

Thanks for the updates. Glad you are safe and I hope you get through this.

It is really heartbreaking to see all this destruction. Hopefully Beirut will be rebuilt and become even more beautiful than before.

Temperance

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
learning that Lebanon is majorly depended on imports for their goods. That includes the medical supplies that's needed treat people. Then the food. Jesus.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Oct 27, 2017
Damage report from home.

One glass window smashed, one glass door smashed, TV has small bits of glass in it but still working, curtains ruined, and my mom has a lacerated finger.

My Uncle also lost several windows, a TV and had to have stitches from window shrapnel.

There were reports that it was heard from Cyprus.
I wish your mother and uncle a fast recovery.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We had a fireworks manufacturer explosion in a neighboring city 30 km from my old hometown.
We could still hear the explosion and parts of that city were destroyed quite a bit so I can see this being something like that.

This one looks a bit different, might have been more raw materials.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
We had a fireworks manufacturer explosion in a neighboring city 30 km from my old hometown.
We could still hear the explosion and parts of that city were destroyed quite a bit so I can see this being something like that.

This one looks a bit different, might have been more raw materials.

Sounds like it may have started as a fire that ignited fireworks and then later ignited several tons of confiscated sodium nitrate, which caused the bigger explosion.