• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
Feels like all of these VR companies think that Beat Saber is the VR Killer App. Can't say I disagree.

VirtualCloud

Aug 3, 2018
i cannot wait to take this thing around to show off to people who haven't tried VR yet. The quest is the best shot vr has ever had at gaining traction easily.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how it will feel with those controllers - Beat Saber is one of the few games the Vive's big beefy handles really work for, really feels like you are holding some weighty light saber handles. Definitely a game that will be helped by being wireless / simple.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I wonder how it will feel with those controllers - Beat Saber is one of the few games the Vive's big beefy handles really work for, really feels like you are holding some weighty light saber handles. Definitely a game that will be helped by being wireless / simple.
As long as they have good vibration / feedback, I'm down.

My friend is a VR dev and has had a Quest in his apartment for months. I never actually put it on, but now I'm tempted enough to buy this thing that I may just need a test drive. I'd love to play Beat Saber without cords, and if performance / IQ is better than PSVR, I'll be sold.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017

The Oculus Touch controllers are already far superior to the Vive for Beat Saber, IMO. The Vive and PS VR controllers are far too heavy and tire you out really quickly in Beat Saber.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I have a Galaxy S8 and Gear VR. How does Quest stack up against it?

Not even in the same league. Quest is full 6 DOF, which means you can move around a room and still have full tracking, whereas phone VR is 3 DOF, which means you can only stand in place. 3 DOF really doesn't work well for anything but video. 6 DOF gives you full presence.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
Not even in the same league. Quest is full 6 DOF, which means you can move around a room and still have full tracking, whereas phone VR is 3 DOF, which means you can only stand in place. 3 DOF really doesn't work well for anything but video. 6 DOF gives you full presence.

I might have to get it then. I had PSVR but didn't really use it much because of all the wires and plugging it up all the time. That and I didn't have any decent games to play.

This looks cheaper and the fact it hasn't got any wires is a real big plus for me. I'll never be able to have a computer to get a Vive or Oculus due to money, but a Quest seems right up my alley.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
First VR console that matters. Can't wait!

Tbh, I'm hoping that another company swoops in to steal this form factor soon.

BlkSquirtle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
This is making me want a Oculus Quest wow.
Is there a Vive version of this kind of concept? $400 isn't that bad.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
As someone who really enjoys PSVR, how is the Quest stacking up spec wise and price wise? The idea of standalone VR sounds great, but I wonder if it's in the realm of attainability for me. It's awesome that it's getting Beat Saber for launch!

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who really enjoys PSVR, how is the Quest stacking up spec wise and price wise? The idea of standalone VR sounds great, but I wonder if it's in the realm of attainability for me. It's awesome that it's getting Beat Saber for launch!
Price is $400 with headset and controllers. Spec-wise it isn't going to beat a PS4, but it's based on a pretty powerful mobile chip (Oculus claims "roughly similar to Xbox 360/PS3"), resolution is higher than PSVR and optics better (larger sweet spot)

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Power wise, the Quest isn't much more powerful than your S8 (and the chipset in it, in terms of raw power is less powerful than the S10) but in terms of visual experience, it's probably going to split the difference between Gear VR and the regular Oculus by being a dedicated device.

PSVR is probably a good benchmark to think in terms of fidelity (I'd expect it to be a bit worse in terms of world detail, but better in terms of performance). In terms of tracking experience, it shouldn't be much behind the Oculus touch controllers (but I'd expect the tracking volume to be a little smaller since you're wearing the device tracking them on your head). For something like beat saber though? That should be about perfect.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
One thing about Oculus Quest is that it is not powered by a phone, so its chip and components are optimized for VR. Quest uses a Snapdragon 835, but its performance is going to be much better than a phone running Snapdragon 835 chip in VR

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
I just knew about the Oculus Quest, excited to hear more about it, specially since is standalone and should be more cheaper. And as a rhythm games junkie I really want to try this out.

Artadius

Avenger
Jan 15, 2018
Will buy as soon someone figures out how to mod custom songs. I absolutely love Beat Saber on my Rift but I can't live without the mods. Gotta get my 80s bands in there.

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017

Since GPU is likely most important when it comes to VR - Technically it has an Adreno 540 GPU, which is estimated at around 567 GFlops . PS4 base has 1840 and PRO has 4200 - I know this isn't everything but it's probably the best way to compare them. While it has a resolution advantage - hard to say it will take advantage of it it complex games. Your phone should have the same chipset if you're in the US as the quest, though the quest doesn't have to worry about background tasks.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Wireless is a game changer. Cross-overs on expert plus are tough because I always catch the wire. I like being in the PS ecosystem for VR since it is so easy to use, but this is tempting.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
This is unsurprising but all sorts of great. Beat Saber is one of the best games I've ever played, and while I have it on PC with mods, I'd be happy to buy a quest to show it to anyone anytime.

I'm not sure that I'm there day one, but I'll definitely get one.

I've played it with the Valve Knuckles, and while the angle of the saber isn't quite right (since it's understandably not calibrated for the design of those controllers) it feels great with the much lighter controllers. I think it'll be great with the quest controllers, and I'm sure some entrepreneurs with 3D printers will have some additions to improve the experience.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018
I might have to get it then. I had PSVR but didn't really use it much because of all the wires and plugging it up all the time. That and I didn't have any decent games to play. .

Re: games - there's always heaps of sale (hell there's a PSVR sale on now with lots of quality titles on sale) - I bought a few more yesterday. There's heaps of VR games for PSVR

Tezu

Oct 25, 2017
This makes me so happy.

While I'd love to buy something better (a new version of oculus or vive for the PC), I really wanted to buy a Quest because of its freedom. Not having cables or another unit to render things is so good.

The only thing that I said to myself was "I'll buy it if they announce beat saber for it".

Yay :D

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
I am seriously considering a Quest purchase... as much as I have enjoyed PSVR the set up drives me crazy. Getting games like this on the Quest makes it VERY appealing.

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
Beat Saber!! Woot! Can't wait to play this on the Quest. Been playing this a lot on the Rift, but being untethered is gonna be something else. I'll be there day one for sure. Glad it's been finally announced.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Price is $400 with headset and controllers. Spec-wise it isn't going to beat a PS4, but it's based on a pretty powerful mobile chip (Oculus claims "roughly similar to Xbox 360/PS3"), resolution is higher than PSVR and optics better (larger sweet spot)

Perfect summary -- thank you.

That's an attainable price for me, but since Beat Saber is the only software I know about that I want for it, I'm gonna wait until a sale, promo, or until I do a bit more research on other software/games. Google Earth VR isn't announced for this thing by chance, is it? Beat Saber + Google Earth VR would be a must buy for me. :p

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017

The tracking, controllers, optics and resolution are much better. The actual hardware performance is much lower and has a lot more in common with mobile VR than console VR.

For something like Beat Saber the better controller tracking and entirely wireless setup, should make for a much better experience than the PSVR version.

This is an incredibly important announcement. There couldn't be a more perfect launch title for a standalone VR device than Beat Saber.