• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017
One of the most difficult, but fun games I've played. Joker is actually a giant compared to Batman in the final boss battle lol.

I need to play this again.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
I've always wanted to play this as it seems like a decent 2d paltformer/side scroller.

however I'm not very good at nes games I find them hard and I never owned a nes. Stuff like megaman on nes is not fun if you've never played it is this better? Do you at least get unlimited continues or a password system?

Are there any other games held in high regard from that era like this too? (Not megaman please I really don't like that series due to its difficulty)

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
luv Batman. And i had this game as a kid. But never liked it much. It was too much like Ninja gaiden. and i wasn't a fan of that either

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've always wanted to play this as it seems like a decent 2d paltformer/side scroller.

however I'm not very good at nes games I find them hard and I never owned a nes. Stuff like megaman on nes is not fun if you've never played it is this better? Do you at least get unlimited continues or a password system?

Are there any other games held in high regard from that era like this too? (Not megaman please I really don't like that series due to its difficulty)
8-bit games that are praised but are easier or have a save function? There aren't a ton as most are just as difficult as Batman or the Mega Man games. Bionic Commando has infinite continues, Duck Tales and Chip 'n Dale's Rescue Rangers aren't too hard, Wurm's overlooked and has password save, and there's Sega Master System classics like Wonder Boy III and Alex Kidd in Shinobi World.

Oct 25, 2017
It was a great game to play on my NES and it's still fairly cheap to grab a cart for ten bucks.

The music is so good.

Sharivan

Dec 29, 2018
Belgium
Yeah I had this game as a kid and played it a lot. I remember it being really hard, but I did manage to beat it. It had some of the best music on the NES imho.

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
My second favorite NES game. It's absolutely phenomenal, and for me is still a blast to play today. The level of detail in the cape animation blew my mind back then.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
boy did I love this game. I played the hell out of it as a kid. I think it's better than Batman and Robin on SNES.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Sunsoft was something else back in the NES days----This game, Master Blaster, Mr. Gimmick. They were just incredible at squeezing every last drop of processing power out of that system

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love this game, one of my favorites on NES. The soundtrack is amazing.

I will never forget the night my mom surprised me with the game when she came home from work.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Loved this fucking game. Loved the music, the action, the graphics, everything about it. I remember been proud as hell when I finally finished it.

I found the show I went to! Timestamped at the beginning of the Batman run for those interested.

This was absolutely amazing. Coolest thing I've seen in a while. Thank you for finding and posting this 👍😁

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Loved it. My favorite Uncle got this game for me for Christmas when I was like seven, even though he had caught some bad breaks, lost his job, and didn't have much money. Still remember sitting on my bedroom floor playing it with him on Christmas morning while the adults all chatted in the living room. Later that year, my pretentious aunt left him, the family stopped talking to him, and I never saw him again. Still think of him when I fire it up! Think I'm gonna try to look him up now actually and say thanks.
This is super sad!

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
I immediately heard the music in my head when I saw this thread. Awesome game!

That said, I find the controls just a bit sluggish. Like, the animations throw off the timing a bit compared to, say, a Mario game. It could be tighter.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Love this game. I have the soundtrack on vinyl.
s-l400.jpg

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
My good friend, Dan Macarthur was the producer or designer of this game. I use to visit him at Sunsoft often. I lost touch of Dan about 10 years ago but he was a designer and producer of many 8 bit games back in the day.

Vorpal

Nov 4, 2017
I think you're under selling the game's difficulty. Maybe average difficulty for a Sunsoft game (Batman, Blaster Master and Fester's Quest formed a Trinity of hard games with unlimited continues), but Batman had a reputation of being pretty nasty, especially in the final levels.

That said, God I loved it. Great action, and a top tier 8 bit soundtrack. I never quite beat it. The final boss before the Joker, (I think his name was Firebug?) always got the better of me and even Nintendo Power couldn't guide me through it.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I love the game OP and it trumps the SNES games too(I love those too)..... However it can't hold a candle to the adventures of Batman and Robin for the Sega Genesis. I have a softer spot for TAS and that game just oozes style. When you see it in motion on a CRT it's just mind blowing that a Sega Genesis was capable of that. Really nifty programming
BelovedRingedBug-max-1mb.gif
Batman & Robin has perhaps the best graphics of any Genesis game. Just amazing looking.

I think the gameplay and difficulty curve in Batman: The Animated Series on SNES is better, though.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Batman & Robin has perhaps the best graphics of any Genesis game. Just amazing looking.

I think the gameplay and difficulty curve in Batman: The Animated Series on SNES is better, though.
I remember the Genesis game being super unfair (though it has been many years since I played it last) but it gave us this absolute banger of a track

OP
OP
Andromeda

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Best Nintendo soundtrack ever. I also loved how you could skip one particular boss in the game too. Small touches like his cape billowing as he lands is superb detail.

I'd pay for a remaster.
Yes, can you give us details about it ?

I found the show I went to! Timestamped at the beginning of the Batman run for those interested.

That's awesome ! Thanks for this.
Loved it. My favorite Uncle got this game for me for Christmas when I was like seven, even though he had caught some bad breaks, lost his job, and didn't have much money. Still remember sitting on my bedroom floor playing it with him on Christmas morning while the adults all chatted in the living room. Later that year, my pretentious aunt left him, the family stopped talking to him, and I never saw him again. Still think of him when I fire it up! Think I'm gonna try to look him up now actually and say thanks.
Nice story. I think this woud be a great idea !

Batman is more fun and easier (IMO) than Mega man (best and more accessible Mega man is Mega man 2). You have illimited continues for each levels (but not for the sub-levels, which can be a problem with the last level and its 2 bosses). But that last level is so good and satisfying.
I love this game, one of my favorites on NES. The soundtrack is amazing.

I will never forget the night my mom surprised me with the game when she came home from work.
Best mom ever !
Love this game. I have the soundtrack on vinyl.
s-l400.jpg
I kinda want this.
I think you're under selling the game's difficulty. Maybe average difficulty for a Sunsoft game (Batman, Blaster Master and Fester's Quest formed a Trinity of hard games with unlimited continues), but Batman had a reputation of being pretty nasty, especially in the final levels.

That said, God I loved it. Great action, and a top tier 8 bit soundtrack. I never quite beat it. The final boss before the Joker, (I think his name was Firebug?) always got the better of me and even Nintendo Power couldn't guide me through it.
Maybe I am. I'd say the game is not that hard until the last level and bosses. But I don't want to discourage people who want to try this game :P. For the last 2 bosses, I think there are plenty of videos how to do it, but yes, those 2 are quite hard.

Oct 27, 2017
Neat. Never knew you could do that.

I have mixed feelings on the NES Batman game; preferred Return of the Joker instead. But the one thing I'll always remember about that is that the Genesis version has the NES screenshots on its box despite being a completely different game.

1774_back.jpg

Weird, huh?

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
I like the simplicity of this age and 16bit and also 32bit even.

these days there's a lot a game gets bogged down by. Loading, lots of controls, open world bloat, logging into stuff. I miss that raw simplicity of just picking up a game and playing immedately and not having to remember 60 different commands. Older games you get used to controls and feel within 5 minutes.

OP
OP
Andromeda

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017

these days there's a lot a game gets bogged down by. Loading, lots of controls, open world bloat, logging into stuff. I miss that raw simplicity of just picking up a game and playing immedately and not having to remember 60 different commands. Older games you get used to controls and feel within 5 minutes.
Oh yes ! This is very important indeed ! There is also very low input lag that helps with controls and immersion. Which is why those games are usually better on their original hardware combined with a CRT monitor. Usually because some old games are pretty well emulated on recent hardware with minimum input lag, but none of the recent classic boxes have a sufficiently low input lag for me.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

maybe you should look into the indie scene, many titles out there that have that simplicity.