• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
Good to hear about BC. Now they just need to elaborate on PS5 Boost mode a bit more and showcase the UI.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
But do
Dat sweet ass UI

b6c.gif
Yes this where is UI details in backwards compatibility blog post

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
PS4 only games
While the majority of PS4 games are playable on PS5 consoles, below is a list of PS4 games that are playable on PS4 only. On PlayStation™Store, PS4 games that are not playable on the PS5 console will be marked with 'Playable on: PS4 only'.
  • Life of Black Tiger
  • DWVR
  • Afro Samurai 2 Revenge of Kuma Volume One
  • TT Isle of Man - Ride on the Edge 2
  • Just Deal With It!
  • Shadow Complex Remastered
  • Robinson: The Journey
  • We Sing
  • Hitman Go: Definitive Edition
  • Shadwen
  • Joe's Diner
There, I fixed that for you Sony. I expect a thank you from everyone and a check in the mail from Sony.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Come on... you can feel the 'get this into the hands of youtubers for previews' getting closer..

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It seems pretty solid to me! Just a handful of games won't work. I don't see much to complain about at all.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
  • You can transfer digital games and saved data from a PS4 console to a PS5 console using WiFi data transfer.

• what does this mean?

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Selected doesn't refer to the top 100, that was just Cerny talking about the ones they had tested at that point.

Selected just means games with uncapped framerates and resolutions. Not every games has that and hardly any specifically detail that so they call them selected to make things easier.

Any concerns about games being whitelisted is uneeded.
This is not what it says, no :
"Select PS4 games will benefit from the PS5 console's Game Boost, which may make PS4 games run with a higher or smoother frame rate."

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
It's good to hear everything will work, it's a shame to hear that not everything will have Boost mode.
But really I only care about Monster Hunter World getting boost mode anyway and I assume all the games in the PS+ Collection will likely have it.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
  • Before purchasing add-ons to play with your PS4 games on PS5 consoles, please try to boot and play your PS4 games on your PS5 console to see if you are happy with the play experience.
While I'm happy that most games are playable, this line is a bit scary.

Yeah, doesn't inspire confidence.

KvotheStrife

May 29, 2018
Great news hyped for the PS5!!!!! I think the boost mode titles are the ones in the PS+ Collection and maybe more to come later

Oct 25, 2017
For a start boost mode isn't a thing on xbox. it just does it without the need to be implemented. Auto HDR is also a thing for every backwards compatible game with no input. so to me that's a pretty huge difference - it simply means bc games will be better on xbox in general if boost mood isn't implemented and the game has uncapped frame rates or resolution etc. unless i'm reading something wrong here about boost mode.

Boost mode is a toggle that you can disable to make games run as they do on original hardware.

There is no functional difference between PS5 with boost mode enabled and Xbox in this regard. An uncapped game will benefit on Series X and PS5. A capped game will not.

Boost mode is a toggle implemented primarily for instances in which the extra horse power might cause issues. It never did on PS4 Pro, but its better to have the option given that there are 4000+ titles.

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
  • You can transfer digital games and saved data from a PS4 console to a PS5 console using WiFi data transfer.

• what does this mean?

If you don't sub to ps+ and don't have cloud saves, this is how you'd move saves over.

If you don't want to redownload the games over Internet you can also transfer them wirelessly.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
We always knew the list of incompatible games was going to be inconsequential so the biggest news for me is that digital games and saves can be transferred by wifi.

Really happy with all of this to be honest.

I do wonder what those incompatible games have in common. I wonder if there's so tech tool they all use that just doesn't work on PS5 or something?

Oct 30, 2017
I feel like they are implementing this BC only because Xbox made it such a big marketing point over the past few years. If there was no pressure to deliver BC, Sony would prefer to sell you a remaster. So I'm going to stop getting my hopes up for any free enhancements to Sony's own first party PS4 games
Nah. It's clear the PS5 was designed for this and that decision to include BC was probably made in like 2016 or so.

This wasn't a knee jerk response. Especially considering Sony has largely pursued backward compatibility when viable.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So uuh, if i traded my ps4 in already, does that mean i lost my digital library? I foolishly assumed
It would just know what games i had with my
Account

Wyatt+

Jan 15, 2020
Is anyone else that got their copy of Avengers through Verizon concerned we're not going to be able to upgrade? Ever since I redeemed the code, I noticed Avengers only shows up in my download list. But on the store, it still gives me the option to purchase.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
So I can just plug-and-play the external SSD I'm already using. Sweet.
See, I got the opposite impression. Why wouldn't they say ps4 or playstation external drive rather than a ps5 drive? That makes me think the external drive has to be formatted by the ps5. Maybe I'm reading too much into it cause that would mean a ton of downloading for me.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Shit, guess I will need to prioritize playing through Shadow Complex Remastered this month lol

Good news all around. Doesnt specifically say you can seamlessly take your PS4 external filled with games and use it on PSt though... I have a lot of downloading to do if thats the case

Blunt

Oct 26, 2017
So, just to be sure, PS4 games can be played on the PS5 off an external hard drive, just as on PS, right ?

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
This is not what it says, no :
"Select PS4 games will benefit from the PS5 console's Game Boost, which may make PS4 games run with a higher or smoother frame rate."
That's exactly what I'm talking about.

Games that with capped framerates that usually dip should no longer dip and games with uncapped framerates will get a boost.

Same should happen with dynamic resolutions too.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
I want to know for games having PS5 upgrades, if we can play them without PS5 upgrades and play PS4 versions instead if we opt not to upgrade the game or is the update mandatory? I mean some pc games allow that with past versions and newer versions being seperate apps.
Just don't download the update same as you can on ps4.

I do this with no mans sky as I prefer the vanilla version you the updated.

Not sure how updates work on digital games mine you as mine are all physical other than persona 5

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Platform Waring
If only the official twitter account of PlayStation kept shouting about BC every chance they get but I guess that isn't their style ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well... they actually have launch titles to market and don't need to rely so much on BC. But still, it would have been good to have known this sooner.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Lmao come on we've had boost mode since the pro and people still have no idea what it is . This is going to be the new concern that has to be explained every thread now huh?

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
  • You can access PS4 games on a PS5 console directly from a PS5 extended storage drive.

Well, this doesn't clear up things at all.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the questions I'm reading here blow my mind lol

It doesn't matter how detailed the blog post is or how carefully they explain something, there will always be a shocking number of users who simply do not understand.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
If you don't sub to ps+ and don't have cloud saves, this is how you'd move saves over.

If you don't want to redownload the games over Internet you can also transfer them wirelessly.
Ah, I see. I thought we were getting into Nintendo levels of fuckery with transferring data. Phew, glad it's not that.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
Looking forward to seeing the Game Boost in action. Hopefully it works similarly to the Series X, and there are overall load time drops as well.
yeah looking foward to seeing how boost mode works and if it is as robust as XSX

I am sitting on multiple ps4 games that I want to play with better frame rate and load times.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
🤔...This is fine. I never got a PS4 pro (nor did I play GOW or Lost Legacy) so I'll be more than happy to put BC to use.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit!! O_O

This is amazing for PS4 players moving on to PS5. This is why Jim said he expects this to be the fastest/easiest transition ever from one gen to the next.

Smart move considering that 100M player base. Carrying the momentum forward.