• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Churrific

Oct 27, 2017
I'm literally a lurker here that hasn't participated in any big discussions before, but felt the need to this time b/c I have some friends in my asian american community that speak with a blackcent most of the time due to how we grew up. That they would need to make a statement about how they naturally talk b/c there were times they didn't use their blackcents fully to someone's standards is a little belittling to me. But I also recognize the appropriation some might feel about an asian person having a blackcent. Is there a balance in that? is what i was trying to get at. There's no way in hell i'm making a thread on this lol. And now I go back to lurking.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I tried to add some nuance to this thread by bringing my own personal experience in here, to try and bring it to larger discussion, but all anyone wants to talk about is awkwafina awkwafina awkwafina. So the lesson I'm taking away from this is don't bring personal anecdotes and life experience about a certain issue that's larger than a single celebrity to a thread that's purely about criticizing that someone (who btw I said I agree with should be criticized if she's not genuine).
It's almost like this is a thread about... Awkwafina.
xST3QOZ.jpg

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017
Clown shoes.

Every time a thread about black issues comes up, somehow, people here go out of their way to outdo themselves on the stupidity.

At this point, it's becoming clear it's not just ignorance. Some of you are just bad actors, and do this shit on purpose.

StarStorm

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
She's been using that accent to raise her popularity for years. Sad that its more prevalent for comedic relief. Figured she dropped it when she got bigger roles like Ocean's 8 and Crazy Rich Asians. She doesn't use that accent in some of her interviews so yeah. This comes up every time a movie with her is in it. I'm not gonna cancel her, I quite like her, but damn girl. You need to address it and stop the hypocrisy.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm literally a lurker here that hasn't participated in any big discussions before, but felt the need to this time b/c I have some friends in my asian american community that speak with a blackcent most of the time due to how we grew up. That they would need to make a statement about how they naturally talk b/c there were times they didn't use their blackcents fully to someone's standards is a little belittling to me. But I also recognize the appropriation some might feel about an asian person having a blackcent. Is there a balance in that? is what i was trying to get at. There's no way in hell i'm making a thread on this lol. And now I go back to lurking.

Jesus christ shut up

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

Nobody cares about you and your friends talking at the lunchroom table bro, but the fact you're making this very situation about you and your friends, after ten pages of posters pointing out whats wrong with this celeb, i dunno what to tell you. You seem to have weird reading comprehension problem or something else. "Yeah, I know Nora does shitty stereotypes, I just wanna know if I can rap along to Lil Durk lyrics"

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
To be real I used to love awkwafina, 2013 me loved her NYC Bitche$ and My Vag videos, had the songs in my iTunes lol... but once I learned about cultural appropriation, probably in the wake of Iggy Azealia (lol) I removed awkwafina from my life.

I think she's a good actor and I'm glad she dropped the blackcent and I want that asian representation in hollywood but not like this. She needs to address her past and apologize and try to make it right with the Black community. It's nice to see the boycott call to action is so big this time around. We need to keep the pressure on. The fact that she ignores being called out and gets away with it and keeps getting bigger roles each time the conversation comes up is so embarrassing.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
I'm not familiar with her. Is this dumb stuff she did a few years back and has since stopped doing or she still putting on this act in her music? Not that the former would make it any better but it would at least mean that she became aware of how problematic it is.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I swear we had a version of this thread when her show came out. lol

It's very weird though, Eddie Huang is basically the same too, although he admittedly owns up to the fact that he identifies with Black culture in part because there was no Asian culture when he was growing up.

Its NOT the same. The problem is hers is exaggerated, for comic effect, isn't her normal speaking tone, with a name that looks fucked up when you factor in those other points. Huang and others speak..the way they speak. This is not that post. You guys keep on bringing it up to downplay her shit.

With how this thread went down, I'd be surprised anyone would want to try, good faith or not.

People have actually brought up people who speak with heavy AAVE and seem authentic in this post. Thats not the problem here. There's very specific critiques at Nora that have nothing to do with that. Posters here just want to paint her with that brush in defense of her minstrel show. There's been no "non-black people can't use black slang" ongoing theme here, its why the big point brought up is how she turns it off and doesn't engage in AAVE elsewhere, including talking with other minorities or black people even, its suspect.

Its not a wide critique of everyone who ever said a slang word: motherfuckers brought up Jack Harlow who's as pale as a sheet of paper as an example of someone who engages in the culture and doesn't turn his shit off and doesn't raise any eyebrows like Nora.

I'm not familiar with her. Is this dumb stuff she did a few years back and has since stopped doing or she still putting on this act in her music? Not that the former would make it any better but it would at least mean that she became aware of how problematic it is.

Problem is its how she got popular and she's dodged all responsibility for it in funny ways. Its less about her doing it, but dancing around her past while having no problem saying its fucked up when it comes to bad "asian" accents.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
I swear we had a version of this thread when her show came out. lol

It's very weird though, Eddie Huang is basically the same too, although he admittedly owns up to the fact that he identifies with Black culture in part because there was no Asian culture when he was growing up.
Eddie doesn't talk the way he does as shtick, he talks that way all the time.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I gotta admit this is the first time I've have herd the term "Blackcent". Maybe I'm more sheltered than I thought.
Here's a short video by Tee Noir that should be informative for anyone who doesn't know about a blaccent.
youtu.be

The "Blaccent": Nonblack Creators' Key to Fame

Hey everyone! In this video I'm discussing the use of a "blaccent" and AAVE online for humorous effect, specifically on TikTok. Don't be shy, leave your thou...

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's nice to see the boycott call to action is so big this time around. We need to keep the pressure on.

I'm not so sure a boycott is really the right thing to do, to be honest. Marvel is using the movie like a canary in a coal mine, an experiment in their own words to see if it's safe to release their predominantly white Eternals movie, and they're doing so in the middle of a pandemic that is only getting worse.

Basically Shang-Chi is going to do pretty bad at the cinema anyway, so boycotting it will only make it perform worse and a lot is riding on this movie in terms of representation and respect for Asian actors and cultures.

I think you can focus your attention on Awkwafina and getting her to apologise and reflect on using racist caricatures for laughs without dragging the first and possibly only Asian superhero movie ever made into it, y'know?

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm not so sure a boycott is really the right thing to do, to be honest. Marvel is using the movie like a canary in a coal mine, an experiment in their own words to see if it's safe to release their predominantly white Eternals movie, and they're doing so in the middle of a pandemic that is only getting worse.

Basically Shang-Chi is going to do pretty bad at the cinema anyway, so boycotting it will only make it perform worse and a lot is riding on this movie in terms of representation and respect for Asian actors and cultures.

I think you can focus your attention on Awkwafina and getting her to apologise and reflect on using racist caricatures for laughs without dragging the first and possibly only Asian superhero movie ever made into it, y'know?
If people want to boycott this, they are free to do so. They don't deserve criticism for what she's brought on to herself. If Awkwafina didn't want a boycott, she should have apologised and improved after the many opportunities given to her along the way. She didn't show remorse and here is where we are. If she won't change, no one should treat her with kid gloves. If mocking black people matters less than for the greater good of Asian representation, then that's messed up.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Its NOT the same. The problem is hers is exaggerated, for comic effect, isn't her normal speaking tone, with a name that looks fucked up when you factor in those other points. Huang and others speak..the way they speak. This is not that post. You guys keep on bringing it up to downplay her shit.
Eddie doesn't talk the way he does as shtick, he talks that way all the time.
To be clear, I'm not trying to downplay the stuff with Awkwafina, just thinking about how Huang has made his embracing of the culture his public persona. Although though to be fair to Huang, I only know him through his public facing work so I have no idea what he's off camera, so maybe it is lived experience.

Still, his movie is weird. lol

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
That accent shit is the main reason I can't stand to watch her in anything. I thought it was just something she did for a role but then she was like that everywhere I saw her and it was just grating to watch.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Pretty sure you have soup for brains

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissive and condescending commentary around racism concerns over multiple posts, prior severe bans for dismissing racism and representation concerns.
If people want to boycott this, they are free to do so. They don't deserve criticism for what she's brought on to herself. If Awkwafina didn't want a boycott, she should have apologised and improved after the many opportunities given to her along the way. She didn't show remorse and here is where we are. If she won't change, no one should treat her with kid gloves. If mocking black people matters less than for the greater good of Asian representation, then that's messed up.

Representation in Hollywood is not something you can just throw aside whenever it suits you because you have some arbitrary system of value that you believe determines what matters more. You don't put societal issues on a numbered list. That's not how this shit works and the second you claim one issue is more important than another you just give ammunition to the white people that want to turn minorities against each other. Shit, I'm pretty convinced all this talk of boycotts was started by the newspapers that want to do just that.

You can totally hold Awkwafina accountable for her racism while also promoting, not discouraging, Asian representation in Hollywood. They are not mutually exclusive, so don't waste my time trying to paint one thing as mattering more than the other. You can achieve both really easily and all it requires is that you focus on Awkwafina herself and not the projects she is part of.

Let's be blunt - Marvel is sending Shang-Chi, the first Asian superhero movie ever made in Hollywood, out to die. If it somehow succeeds, they'll pat themselves on the back and congratulate each other on how clever it was to give Asian people a superhero they can relate to. If it fails miserably at the box office there won't be a Shang-Chi 2 and Hollywood will use it as an excuse to claim that Asian actors should stick to stereotypical and frankly offensive roles like kung fu masters and convenience store owners.

That's not something I'm particularly keen on happening, but clearly you don't care that much if you think certain issues are more important than others and that it's okay to sacrifice the progress of one movement for another.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
To be clear, I'm not trying to downplay the stuff with Awkwafina, just thinking about how Huang has made his embracing of the culture his public persona. Although though to be fair to Huang, I only know him through his public facing work so I have no idea what he's off camera, so maybe it is lived experience.

Still, his movie is weird. lol

I think people are conflating the multiculturalism of certain urban centers and the assimilation of various cultures in it vs being a culture vulture.

NYC, particularly the outer boroughs are a melting pot, and hip-hop is literally the soundtrack of the city. So finding someone who's got some blaccent inflection from growing up in NYC where hip-hop slang (which borrows from and feeds to AAVE) is youth culture, that's normal. And it's not just blaccent; I know some fucking yiddish like an 85 year old Jewish grandmother.

You see this reflect in a bunch of dense urban centers like people from Miami who speak with a cuban accent who aint cuban.

Sometimes those kids grow up and keep the accent. Sometimes they get rid of the accent as they go up the corporate ladder and want to seem more 'presentable' (damn that white supremacy). Sometimes they do actually code switch; when they are visiting their family and friends in Queens during holidays it comes out, but they intentionally tamper it down when hanging with their work friends.

But that's not in this case. LOL. Like, nobody is mad at Eminem for being a blond white man speaking the way he is. Like these aren't new phenomenon's. Eddie is someone who speaks in that same accent when he's doing a chef show speaking to someone who can't even speak english, lol. His character on his sitcom had an episode about him being geeked out about Wu-Tang. Not gonna say his record is clean, guaranteed if I dig I am going to find some stupid shit he's said (similar to Eminem). But there's a level of authenticity there which I can't fault them for.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Let's be blunt - Marvel is sending Shang-Chi, the first Asian superhero movie ever made in Hollywood, out to die. If it somehow succeeds, they'll pat themselves on the back and congratulate each other on how clever it was to give Asian people a superhero they can relate to. If it fails miserably at the box office there won't be a Shang-Chi 2 and Hollywood will use it as an excuse to claim that Asian actors should stick to stereotypical and frankly offensive roles like kung fu masters and convenience store owners.

That's not something I'm particularly keen on happening, but clearly you don't care that much if you think certain issues are more important than others and that it's okay to sacrifice the progress of one movement for another.

That's a bit of an exxageration.

deadline.com

‘Free Guy’ To Get Second Life At Box Office During Listless Late August Weekend

Those distributors with new movies this weekend will find they can easily blame any soured performance at the box office on the delta variant and vaxx cards being required at NYC, San Francisco, and New Orleans cinemas. But, let’s not forget one huge thing: It’s late August, and that means it’s...

The true test as to whether pandemic and vaxx cards can derail the box office will be seen in Disney's Labor Day weekend release of Marvel's Shang-Chi and the Legend of Ten Rings. That pic is already poised to rank as the best Labor Day weekend opening of all-time at $45M over four days. The pic is fantastic, played through the roof at its world premiere in Hollywood on Monday, and is bound to overindex and make box office history. Knock on wood.

The Marvel name still holds clout in the general public and the film is getting overwheming critical praise. I do agree though that Shang Chi had the potential to be a landmark film for POC representation much like Black Panther.

Last edited:

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

???

Isn't this what you're doing? LOL.

Like, I can't fault someone for not wanting to see a movie with someone who they think is problematic and offensive. Nor would I be dismissive of 'Well, yeah, those sterotypes suck but we need this to stop these stereotypes'

While it's pretty evident Marvel is sending that movie out to die, I can't fault that individual as opposed to a system that's like 'Well, we made one Asian movie and it flops, no more Asian movies!'

Like, the problem is that we should be able to have shitty mediocre movies and not have it reflect on an entire audience; no one is like when a white movie flops no one is like no more white flicks.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017

no it's just the same old song: "black people are salty and sus and dislike when an Asian who grew up with them even dares to use government designated 'AAVE'."

which, as I pointed out earlier is bullshit. and yet it still moves. some people still keep trying to push it...

maybe this edit will help reader comprehension? i'm not going to hold out hope.

Last edited:

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
no it's just the same old saw, black people are salty and sus and dislike when an Asian who grew up with them even dares to use government designated "AAVE".

which, as I pointed out earlier is bullshit. and yet it still moves. some people still keep trying to push it...

"Black people are salty"

Speak it with your chest.

Again, no one is having this conversation about fucking Hasan Minhaj, so I don't know where the fuck you need to go, but it's not here.
Motherfuckers are racist as shit here, under the umbrella of 'Ally'

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it fails miserably at the box office there won't be a Shang-Chi 2 and Hollywood will use it as an excuse to claim that Asian actors should stick to stereotypical and frankly offensive roles like kung fu masters and convenience store owners.

Damn, now I'm kinda bummed that Shang-Chi's power is pretty much being a kung fu master.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
no it's just the same old saw, black people are salty and sus and dislike when an Asian who grew up with them even dares to use government designated "AAVE".

so you read this and went "this is a good thing to post"

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
so you read this and went "this is a good thing to post"

My man was like, BLACK PEOPLE DONT LIKE ASIANS.

There's a whole Korean rapper pipeline hopping on tracks on the US and visa versa and you throw a rock on the west coast and you're gonna hit an AAVE speaking Asian DJ rocking 'black' parties

The irony is his examples in the post are people defending Akwafina after people specifically laid out their issues (her name, her only using slang for comedy purposes etc) on some 'What about me and my bro's freestyling on the lunchtable?!? If u attack Nora, you're attacking us!' putting up themselves and ancedotes as shitty strawmen to an open and shut case

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
it was your bad

and further, the irony. sus, salty, simp. people use black slang all the time and we don't get upset.

the difference is we know when we're being mocked. copied is one thing. mocked is another.

Last edited:

Username1198

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Space, Man
Some of y'all will defend the stupidest things.
Like, there is literal black people in this thread saying what she is doing is offensive and some of y'all are still like "but but but"

Oct 27, 2017
It's like Thanos swept through the first two pages. I love it. Dust to fucking dust.

I wonder how many times this has to come up before she grows up and addresses her bullshit, because pretending it didn't happen hasn't made it go away.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not gonna boycott the first Asian American led MCU movie for it, but saying you refuse to do minstrely Asian voices (which damn right you shouldn't) but have a history of doing 'minstrely' blaccent is...kinda bad looking. Grow up, acknowledge what you did, and apologize for it.

Also, today I learned blaccent is an actual word, and even has it's own official acronym. Makes sense.

Desparadina

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
when I tell y'all that non-black people have the comprehension of goldfish when it comes to complicated topics like this. Threads like this are examples of why i don't expect any of them to ever understand the nuances of cultural appropriation & racism. What part of non-black people using AAVE to become popular and abandoning it once they get mainstream ('mostly white') attention, while black people using the same language is seen as 'ghetto and uneducated' do some of you not understand?