• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ReginaldXIV

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
She said they can't commit to on-site events, which reads to me that they didn't try to book a SGDQ location and it'll also be a remote event.

lol the Bulbasaur apology made it to the credits.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
ah3u7sthffk31.jpg

Been a blast everyone.

See ya in a bit yeah? <3

Apr 7, 2018
I think I just tuned in when she said it, but Sumichu said they're still undecided whether they're gonna do SGDQ this year in person right? Or was she talking about something else?
She's talking about SGDQ.
She said GDQ cannot commit to a onsite event just yet but to keep an eye on social media for updates. I suspect SGDQ will be virtual.
Yeah I think so too. With how much planning has to go into live events I highly doubt it will be in person this summer even if we're somehow finally out of this pandemic.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
They usually feature the backup runners on the Monday after a GDQ so there's probably still a little bit more to come.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
latest

Like the last few times: Can't imagine SGDQ 2022 will be in person at this rate, but whenever that next IRL one is, I'll be there. It'll be fucking wild.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
Another awesome AGDQ and likely one for the books. So many good runs and moments this year with the Bulbasaur apology being something I think will go down as an all time moment. Better keep that emote. Insane to see the total be topped.

See everyone in the summer.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
The Blackstastic is over the moon with the host. It's cool to see. He's playing Mega Man on the Genesis. I had no idea he quit his day job to pursue streaming full time. It's getting really late though and I want to go to bed soon. I'll probably give him a follow since he's always been fun.

I'm trying to remember if he was the one who ran Monolith at a GDQ. I was sold on the game watching it. I never finished it but I'm surprised it wasn't ported to other consoles. Maybe this year it'll get a Switch port.

Fun GDQ. I'll have to catch up on some stuff in the future. It's a shame the GDQ enamel pin sold out.

Rixa

Oct 26, 2017
It's a lot less depressing when GDQ ends now because they pretty much stream something every day now then there's Femme Fatales in February or March.

It used to be just AGDQ and nothing else.
Just a reminder.

There will be Esamarathon in one month time, starting Staturday 12.02.2022

esamarathon.com

ESA Schedule

The full schedule archive is available at horaro.org/esa

After two years, ESA Winter is returning to the familiar conference space of the in Malmö (Sweden).
ESA Winter 2022 is a week-long in-person (and potentially partially online) speedrunning marathon, featuring speedrunners and score-attackers from all around the world with the primary goal of raising money for our charity partner Alzheimerfonder.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
I know SGDQ 2022 won't be in-person, but I've always wanted to go to one of these. If and when it goes back to in-person, how do you get there? Do you have to be a runner or a volunteer to attend?

Kumubou

Oct 25, 2017
I know SGDQ 2022 won't be in-person, but I've always wanted to go to one of these. If and when it goes back to in-person, how do you get there? Do you have to be a runner or a volunteer to attend?
They did sell spectator passes in past years (and I think part of the planned move to Florida pre-pandemic was to have more space) but they tend to sell out extremely quickly as they're usually in a fairly small venue and interest in the event has blown up over the last few years.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure the next in person event will have even higher interest than usual with it being the first in ages, so probably be hard to get passes.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
It has been great all week. Was really nice having this one in the background while WFH. Will catch up on the runs I have missed now.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
3.4 million?!

Amazing stuff ❤️

It's always a bit sad when GDQ ends but I'm so glad they sped past 3 million on a pandemic context... seriously lovely stuff. Now, to watch some VODs of things I missed.

It's been a beautiful week!

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
A great event this time, and though I caught a lot of it live, there were so many strong runs that the VODs will be extending the experience for me for at least another week. :)

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Already over huh? Another year.

So many bangers that I'm not even through day 1 yet, so I got a ways to go. Normally every few runs there's some that I can just put on in the background and get through faster in my full watch of the event but every game so far has been something I want to actually watch and pay attention to. Even loaded up the second VoD to see if it started with background noise and nope, first game on it is also one I want to watch.

Well onto next event. Don't forget about ESA winter.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
Sekiro blindfolded was an all-time great.
Portal 2 runner was amazing.
Garshasp in the awful block was pretty entertaining.
Super Monkey Ball from Monday followed the tradition of Monkey Ball being fun to be watch.

DevilPuncher

"This guy are sick" and Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
Probably been asked already but what are some entertaining runs to watch?
Mega Man 2, Pokémon Crystal Randomizer Race, Yu Gi Oh Forbidden Memories Race, Blindfolded Sekiro, and Link to the Past we're my favorites that I caught live. I've still yet to dig into the VODs.

Edit: Oh, and Deltarune, the Hades All Weapon Race, and the Kingdom Hearts II Randomizer Race, which, while I didn't like at first, won me over towards the end (very hype twist at the end).

Last edited:

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
What a fantastic event. Time to go back and watch the stuff I missed.

It sounds like SGDQ will probably be digital as well, which is a shame. The first in-person event back is going to be so hype.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
What a fantastic event. Time to go back and watch the stuff I missed.

It sounds like SGDQ will probably be digital as well, which is a shame. The first in-person event back is going to be so hype.

Honestly, I think online is the better format. It's so much easier for runners from around the world and those with specialized equipment to participate. There are runs we've seen that would have just been impossible in a real-world format. Including that, they keep adding functionality for chat to participate on-screen. I'd be fine if they never returned to in person.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They could always have some runs from people off site, especially if it involves extra equipment and is a big draw like the crazy rhythm showcases. Plus I'm sure there will be people that don't want to travel when they do eventually go back to in person events and it would be cool if they can integrate some kind of streaming broadcast setup in the live location for certain runs. But the in person event absolutely reaches hype levels that the online ones can't attain. Some spinning Velocity emotes is never going to equal something like this:

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Honestly, I think online is the better format. It's so much easier for runners from around the world and those with specialized equipment to participate. There are runs we've seen that would have just been impossible in a real-world format. Including that, they keep adding functionality for chat to participate on-screen. I'd be fine if they never returned to in person.

Well, we already know they are going back to in-person events when it's safe, so you're out of luck there. :P

(As they should -- it's important to the overall experience.)

Also, they can obviously do a few online runs during a week-long in-person event and almost certainly will. Just as the pandemic has pushed many workplaces have adopted hybrid WFH/office models, I'm sure GDQ will keep that in mind as well.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017

I completely agree with you. If anything I want them to cut back on the on screen chat participation. There are definitely things I enjoyed about the live events that I miss but a lot of that has become older things that no longer happen and most of the crowd stuff now is stuff that I just don't care about.

It's an easy thing for me to say though since the event started as something local to me and even when it was like 10 minutes away I still didn't go to it. I also know that even though online only is my preference they will transition back to in person, I just hope they do it mixed. Online and in person segments could work really well and make it so people and games that can't travel still have an opportunity to run at the event. Could even allow for easier/faster transitions if you are switching back and forth between the type reducing the time for setup.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
They are gonna smash that $4mil on their first event to go back to a live audience, count it. It's gonna be so hype.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017

There are online-only speedruns all year long. Games Done Quick itself has a bunch of regular themed shows, Hotfix, Frame Fatales, and other one-off events. Then there are other groups organizing events, like ESA and RPG Limit Break. Then there are events within individual games' speedrunning communities.

The in-person aspects of AGDQ / SGDQ are what make them stand out.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Been watching some runs that i haven't been able to catch and i am not sure if Super Mario 3D Land is the best run or the worst run .... the hype commentary and the conversation between the runner and the comentators are HILARIOUS but absolutely not for everyone xD

www.youtube.com

Super Mario 3D Land by zeldacubed1 in 1:03:14 - AGDQ 2022 Online

Runner introduction starts at 0:24Run starts at 1:05Kungfufruitcup interviews SpootyBiscuit at 1:18:33Commentary is provided by Siver, LoganUS and dksc4lifeB...

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
There are online-only speedruns all year long. Games Done Quick itself has a bunch of regular themed shows, Hotfix, Frame Fatales, and other one-off events. Then there are other groups organizing events, like ESA and RPG Limit Break. Then there are events within individual games' speedrunning communities.

The in-person aspects of AGDQ / SGDQ are what make them stand out.
Not to mention missing in-person events was a pretty common refrain from lots of people that participated in these remote-only GDQ's. But glad they're waiting until it's safe to do so.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking of runs that weren't mentioned yet, the Diddy Kong Racing race and the Eternal Darkness run were among my favorites. Tetris: The Grand Master is always entertaining, too.

EDIT: Add the Spongebob run to the list.

Last edited:

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
I tried the ALTTP glitch they mentioned in the bonus any % run at the end, and it works! So easy. Did it on the Nintendo online version.
All you have to do is go in the palace, jump off the ledge and save in mid-air, load game, go back in Palace and go left, let enemy hit you in upper left corner, then you're in the walls. Walk to the triforce. Done. So fun

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
I watched a lot of it. I usually have it on the background on my iPad to tune in on and off. My one complaint is it seems like there was WAY TOO MANY split screen runs compared to previous years. I have it on my iPad and sometimes my TV again on and off and it was very hard to see with so many games being split run. It was just awful to watch, honestly. Great event but just very hard to see and watch unless you got like a projector or something. I don't recall having this issue in previous years. Oh well, got to mix it up, and I like how they did more split screen this year, hoping they go back to normal next.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales

Snolf 0. It's Sonic 1, but you've got Golf controls. Super cool and technical run that's got some great explanations, and just great energy from the couch all around.

lol I was just coming to this thread to recommend this one - great fun and an interesting mod of the game, would second this if someone is looking for a fairly speedy run to watch.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Currently watching the Super Mario 3D Land run and these guys are fucking a-n-n-o-y-i-n-g. Gives me hard flashbacks to the bad cringe days of GDQ.

Hope they don't come back.