• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
I upgraded from the X to the Xs. Won't be making that mistake again. The differences are so minor that it isn't worth the extra money.

If the next iPhone is the usual camera/spec bumps, then I'm gonna keep waiting.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
I upgrade every year. With apple resell value and cellphone subsidies it's not that expensive.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
It's for the best. A lot of waste is created by making these phones, so people holding onto them longer is better.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would have stayed with my OP5T until the end of the upgrade cycle (maybe longer) if I didn't keep on breaking the screen to a point where it was cheaper just to buy a budget phone. Its still very fast and has a headphone jack, what's not to like.

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of crazy that it's still less than three years. I did three years back in 2014, and four years to my current model, and going at least five probably this go-round.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No reason to buy a phone this year when you got all of next year's phones compatible with 5g

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Im just too lazy to upgrade my phones on an annual basis which I know many people do.
It just seem like such a hassle to deal with...

Zapages

Oct 28, 2017
I am still on Note 4... I don't play as many games now... So I am pretty much set with my phone. If things go bad, I just get a new battery and then I am good to go again. :)

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Seems crazy to me to ever upgrade more often than every four years if you don't have to, but I guess some people do it

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I typically wait a few years. I have an iPhone 6s and have had since 2016 I think? Might be looking at an upgrade in the next few months though.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
It has been a little over 3 years here since my last upgrade. I don't feel like I'm missing much other than better battery life.
I'll definitely be missing my headphone jack whenever I am finally forced to upgrade.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
3 years sounds about right.

The upgrades are so incremental now.

I would rather just keep the same phone instead of wasting money on something barely better than what I bought 2 years ago.

jgwhiteus

Oct 30, 2017
in the "good old days" (a few years ago) Verizon would give you a $200-$300 credit to upgrade every 24 months or so, as a sweetener when your contract was up for renewal. When you combined the contract renewal credit with ridiculous Black Friday sales, you could get a newer model phone (something that had been released in the past 1-2 years) for almost nothing - I bought a Samsung Galaxy S5 from Amazon for $1 total on Black Friday 5 years ago.

Now that phones are pricier and Verizon and other carriers got rid of contracts (and thus contract renewal discounts), shifting instead to monthly payment plans and phone leases, there's no significant incentive to upgrade every 24 months - now it makes more financial sense to use your phone as long as it can hold out until you can find a great sale or promotion for an upgrade.

I've been on a Galaxy S7 for almost 3 years now, and it still works fine for almost everything I use it for (except Google Maps, which has become ridiculously bloated). I'll probably hold out for a couple more months before shopping around for an upgrade.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I have my phone almost 2 years now only because the previous phone broke. I can easily seeing me riding it out for years to come

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I'm on a 2-3 year cycle. By the third year my phone is acting a bit slow. I wouldn't mind hopping on a 1 year cycle and reselling my phone.

EraldoCoil

Oct 28, 2017
Cali
Yearly Note update for me, but I'm also on that galaxy for life plan. And I actually like upgrading yearly.

Getting the Note 10+ soon.

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to end up keeping my 6s for 5 years. It's still plenty fast for my needs, only maintenance I've done to it is a couple battery replacements. So there really isn't much incentive for me to upgrade, especially when Apple wants to charge me $1400 CAD for an iPhone Xs off their website.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
About to buy my second smartphone after a 7 year gap from the last one. Paying less than $100.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I've upgraded every 2 years since my 1st smartphone.
Note 3 to Note 5 to Note 8 to Note 10+.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
My note 3 died 4 years ago, I really wanted the Note 7. Note 7's caught on fire, went the the LG v20 instead. That phone has felt really old for the past 2 years. After my next couple commissions I'll buy the Note 10+ and ride that for 4 years. I want to switch to Apple, but I'm not ready to switch everything to Apple, I know I need to move all of my work devices all at once, I'm not willing to give up being able to hand texting through my laptop/desktop on android until I can buy a mac book and an iPhone.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Upgraded from a Iphone 4c to a new SE 2.5 years ago. Very happy with the SE and see no need to upgrade yet until either the phone is on its way out or it gets left behind in the new firmware.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Four years for me. When I do upgrade, it'll likely still be the previous year's model.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Yeah I used to upgrade like every 9 months but everything feels stagnant right now. The only reason I moved from a Note 8 to S10 was because I destroyed the Note's screen on accident.

I wanted to try a iPhone this year but they take too long to change the designs of their phones. I expected them to be done with the nasty notch by now

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Got an iPhone X (bought at launch) and I strongly suspect it's going to have a three-year lifespan unless something very exciting happens this fall.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at 30 months and I feel like a bit of an outlier at this point. I think a lot of people I know switch every year or two if they can afford it.

I'm waiting for an 11 and going to upgrade from my 7+.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
What even are the most recent features worth upgrading for?

Waterproofing?
Wireless charging?
Pretty much all of the flagships have had those features for the last 2 years. Same with bigger "edge-to-edge" screens.

Now it's all about more expansive camera options (2-3 cameras with zoom and wide angle options), faster wireless charging and reverse wireless charging for your other wireless gadgets (or friends phones). Stabilized 4k@60 video. And then gimmicks out the wazoo.

So besides the things you mentioned, mostly just better camera, better screen, and gimmicks. The usual. Of course after they cram all these cameras and push the screen to the edges, there's not much left for them to improve upon beyond battery life, but that is rarely sexy enough to be a headline feature.

I'm at about 28 months, and my Pixel XL is definitely feeling long in the tooth. I'll probably get a new phone this fall during a Black Friday sale assuming my phone keeps chugging along til then.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Essential phone still getting updates. No need to change.

Do I get jealous of stuff like great OIS ? Wireless charging? Yeah, but the frugal part of me steps on every time.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
I have a Note8 that's paid off.. I'm running this thing into the ground and will not care about upgrading until it's basically no longer functional. Especially with this move to ditch the headphone jack.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll have had my iPhone 7+ for 3 years here soon.

It'll likely be at least another year before I upgrade. I'm broke as fuck out here.

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The only reason I'm looking to upgrade my 8 plus is that I cracked the back glass over a year ago and I question its waterproofness now. I also think it's causing occasional issues with cellular.

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in Japan where we're totally getting scammed...
Unlimited voice, 20 Gb of data and an iPhone 8 Plus 64 Gb got me on a 10 000 yens monthly fee with a two-years leash.

Best part? It actually includes a two-year long rebate that's exactly the price of the phone's monthly fee: once I finish paying for the phone the monthly free won't go down! It stays the same whether you change for a brand new phone or get a new one - you might even get some kind a rebate if you get a new one.
The system here is totally rigged into making you get a new phone every 24 months.

I'd buy my next phone upfront with a low-cost carrier (which are quite a bit better price-wise), but none of them offer unlimited voice, which I need for work.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Been doing two year cycles for phones, oh geez, ten years already? Being one generation behind for a year hurts my tech envy but this is about as reasonable as I get on splurging for phones.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I'm in Japan where we're totally getting scammed...
Unlimited voice, 20 Gb of data and an iPhone 8 Plus 64 Gb got me on a 10 000 yens monthly fee with a two-years leash.

Best part? It actually includes a two-year long rebate that's exactly the price of the phone's monthly fee: once I finish paying for the phone the monthly free won't go down! It stays the same whether you change for a brand new phone or get a new one - you might even get some kind a rebate if you get a new one.
The system here is totally rigged into making you get a new phone every 24 months.

I'd buy my next phone upfront with a low-cost carrier (which are quite a bit better price-wise), but none of them offer unlimited voice, which I need for work.

Are there any plans that don't include a phone that are lower? Like what if you want to just buy a phone outright and get it on a plan?

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
It's great that people are in no rush to upgrade $1000 phones.

My next iphone upgrade will probably be when it's finally a new form factor, with absolutely no notches or holes on the face. So, 2025 then.