• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

Smartphone upgrade cycles have been steadily lengthening for years, which has important implications for smartphone vendors and wireless carriers alike. Slowing unit sales have led companies like Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) to pivot toward subscription services in an effort to better monetize all of the devices that are already out there. Market researcher Strategy Analytics is out with some new estimates on smartphone upgrade cycles.

Strategy Analytics findings show that the average iPhone has been active for 18 months, while the average Samsung smartphone has been active for 16.5 months. Demographics also play an expectedly critical role: Baby boomers ages 55 to 64 years old tend to keep their devices for over three years, while younger users tend to upgrade more often.

I didn't think about this, being in more tech saavy circles would have you think some folks switch out phones more often than their underwear

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
I've had my Pixel 1 for 2.5 years, and I'd love to keep it for another 2, but it's getting so slowwwwww.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Can't see me upgrading from my XS Max for a long time. Before this I had an iPhone 6.

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
I used to upgrade every two years or so (probably averaged like 27 months or something like that). I plan on keeping my current XS Max for at least 3 years as it's a hoss and also cost approximately 1 billion dollars. With flagship phones being so expensive now, there really isn't much point in upgrading more often. Although based on those analytics, maybe I'm just getting old.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
technology is good enough that you dont actually need to upgrade frequently anymore.
most things people use on the daily are lightweight and optimized to work on even low end devices so it kinda kills the point of upgrading.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense, we've hit peak smartphone for at least 2 years now.

There's really no reason the upgrade unless your phone is a slab of cracked glass

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Every 2-3 years for me. Basically mainly driven by the fact the size of apps have gotten bigger or apps are no longer supported by my phone.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was just addressing a security issue with a user who had a iPhone 5, so I believe it.

Me? I'm sticking with the iPhone XS for now. No reason to upgrade.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
My previous phone was just over 4 years old when I upgraded/switched last year. Hoping my new phone makes it at least that long, as it wasn't that cheap.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Performance gains have been pretty unsubstantial in the last few years. I upgraded from a Galaxy S8+ to a S10+ and honestly while it is snappier and the camera is better... it's not completely $1000 worth of upgrade. Still the best phone I have ever used, though.

And with headphone jacks being phased out, thats even less impetus to upgrade.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
This is not normal, people. Ten years ago, you would have been laughed off the face of the planet for suggesting to replace your phone every two and a half years IF IT IS NOT BROKEN.

Wakey wakey, consumers!

-posted from my Iphone (/s)

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
There's no reason to upgrade now unless you're a technophile or your phone is crapping out on you. Most phones are good enough.

BlueGeezer

Oct 28, 2017
Used to upgrade every two years like clockwork. Now I have my pixel 2 XL and I can't see a reason to upgrade yet.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
My S7 runs like shit and I would love to get a new phone if I had the money.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Coming up on 2 years with my X and I have no reason to upgrade as long as I replace the battery in 6 months since that's gotten worse lately.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Sounds about right. I don't see myself looking to upgrade my OP 5T until this time next year which would be close to three years. And that really depends on what's available, could wait longer.

idlewild_

Oct 29, 2017
Have been on a 4 year cycle up until now, my last phone probably had another year in it but we got a deal when switching carriers so went for a new one.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense, we've hit peak smartphone for at least 2 years now.

There's really no reason the upgrade unless your phone is a slab of cracked glass
I know not everybody is able, but you see some folks using a phone that look like it been through hell then dumped in a trash compactor

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I upgrade every 2 years, but I buy Lg phones and they get dirt cheep quick.

I got a G8 for $400CDN at that price why not.

Although I probably would have kept my G6 longer if the finger print reader hadn't stopped working and I hadn't accidentally damaged the headphone jack.

Oct 25, 2017
Had a 6 plus, which I rode into the ground, now on a used 7 plus which I will in turn run into the ground. Though all things being equal I could see it lasting me 3 years plus total.

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
I've had my iPhone 6 for almost 5 years - apart from a worse battery life, it seems to be doing fine.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was upgrading yearly from 2010 through 2016 when I got the iPhone 7 Plus. Still using it and it works great. First iPhone I've owned that hasn't seem to degrade in performance over time and battery life is still good. I probably would have kept on upgrading if I wasn't so put off by the changes they started making with the iPhone X series. Looking forward to seeing what they introduce this year, though, as is it should be a full model change year.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I still have a Galaxy S4 I received in 2014 and my only reason to upgrade is for additional security. The phone functions well for basic browsing/reading/music alongside obvious phone calls and texting.

Oct 25, 2017
Have never felt the need to upgrade any more frequently than 4 years with my iPhones.

From ages 20 to 29:
4s > 6s > X

Holding on to my X (still going strong) until the USB-C iPhone next year.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Despite the weakening battery, my Galaxy S7 is going strong after 2-3 years, and it's more phone than I'lll ever need.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
Early on I was a 2-year jump on iPhone, I went annual for a bit --- and then the iPhone X was such a jump, I haven't felt the need to upgrade since (I also bought a real camera which has lessened the need for the annual camera upgrade).

5G will get me to bite next year tho.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I went from S8 to S10 because I had a cracked screen. Did a lot of research on protectors, my S10 is basically immune to drops now.

For Samsung phones in general S8 is when things got good enough. Specifically for the S8 the battery degrades 25% the rate of previous versions. That along with another CPU bump and for the vast majority of people 3+ years is the best refresh rate.

My s10 is like 25% faster, diminishing returns. Screen slightly bigger and better. Otherwise the biggest thing is low light point and shoot is now serviceable, before it was like iso 6400 snow.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I kept my LG Flex 2 until I tripped on the sidewalk and shattered the screen. Unfortunately replacing the screen would cost so much more than replacing the phone so I moved on to an LG ThinQ because LG never made the Flex 3 like the suggested they would.

I really miss that curved screen it took me 3 months to get used to flat screen phone.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I used to upgrade every two years. After upgrading to the POS S10+, I'm keeping it until it breaks. Which is probably in less than two years.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
I just got a new phone after 3 years so it sounds about right. I stick to the $200 price point though, not sure if this is just talking about flagships.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Coming up on 4 years for me. I really don't feel like I'm missing anything.

I'm 2 years and 3 months, which is the longest I've ever had the one smartphone.

To be fair, the only reason my previous phones were owned for a shorter time is because I broke them.

But yeah, I agree. I don't feel like I'm missing much. My phone still does everything I need it to, and is sufficiently speedy. OnePlus 3T, so it even got Android 9 despite being older.

The good news is though, when we do finally upgrade, it'll feel like a genuine upgrade and not incremental.

Olorin

Oct 27, 2017
My OnePlus 3T is still going strong. I'll be sticking with it as long as I can before necessity dictates an upgrade.

Deleted member 431

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
iPhone 8 since September 2017. Before that I had an iPhone 5C since 2013.

No need to update yet. Crazy how long lasting iPhones are.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
About to end my second year with an iPhone 8 Plus, after spending three years with a 6, and in no hurry to upgrade. My 8 Plus is working at almost the same speed and efficiency as brand new.

If I do upgrade, it will be maybe next year, unless the new ones this year are spectacular or something.

Oct 25, 2017
I change every 2 years, mostly because the battery starts sucking. I also buy whatever is the best Xiamoi Redmi phone these days, at most 200 bucks and they are excellent.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
If I hadn't had such poor luck with hardware issues the last few years, I'd still be happy using my Nexus 5.

Favorite phone I've ever owned.

MechDX

Oct 25, 2017
I bought an S9+ last year and the battery is complete shit. I will regretfully have to upgrade but I refuse to finance phones anymore