• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Why did alternate reality Nebula get killed by one shot? She survived a rocket launcher in Guardians 1. Thought it was convenient how many of the Avengers survived the bombardment at the Avengers HQ.

Film was great overall, a few suprises like Fat Thor and clever Hulk :D and Thanos simply getting his head cut off at the beginning. Also was a nice suprise to see Jarvis from the TV series, wasn't expecting so much closure to the Agent Carter TV series.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
"Asgardians of the Galaxy"

-is my favorite line.

And Peter's inferiority complex is pure gold. Thor's fucking around with him is even better.
703137._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. It's so funny that they specifically say this and people can't wrap their heads around it.
It really doesn't work as clearly as you think because the movies main logic is you can't change the past in order to change the present or future. So returning stones to the past doesn't even deter the alternate realities from transpiring when they're removed to begin with.
So what we are back to is, that returning the stones is so that the alternate timelines won't be doomed?

I've seen this thread go back and forth between those two theories like crazy all day lol.

PS: I've never seen any of the mentioned films in the movie. Never seen Die Hard or Back to the Future. I've seen Terminator 1 though.

Oct 27, 2017
People are trying to apply the rules of Time Travel of Back to the Future to Endgame despite them literally saying nearly word for word that it doesn't work like Back to the Future.

People are trying to apply the rules of time travel from various other movies despite them giving a sizeable list of movies and saying it doesn't work like any of them.

There is nothing in this movie that suggests genuine branches to the timeline are created by anything except removing the Infinity Stones.

At most I could buy that substantial differences like Thanos's untimely death create their own branch. (I don't think it's really implied or necessary for there to be a whole separate ongoing universe without Thanos in it, but I could buy it.)

But the idea that every single visit to the past creates an alternate timeline is definitely not stated and goes way beyond the reach of what the movie is implying when the rules are explained.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Why did alternate reality Gamora gets killed by one shot? She survived a rocket launcher in Guardians 1. Thought it was convenient how many of the Avengers survived the bombardment at the Avengers HQ.

Film was great overall, a few suprises like Fat Thor and clever Hulk :D and Thanos simply getting his head cut off at the beginning. Also was a nice suprise to see Jarvis from the TV series, wasn't expecting so much closure to the Agent Carter TV series.

You mean Nebula? I'm assuming future Nebula would know her own weak points and how to kill herself better than anyone.

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
...What?

I'm assuming your talking about Infinity War.

In Ragnarok when he goes to revive Surtur he stops in front of the Tessaract.

IW then reveals that he took it and used his powers to hide it.

Yes, Infinity War, sorry typo.

As for Ragnarok, Hela showed that the Gauntlet in there was fake. Loki could have been doing a double take since he knew he had it. It didn't show him taking it.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok just got out of my second showing.

Still not sure how Cap going back in time didn't at the very least create a new timeline. Also unclear on if he traveled back to the "present" on his own, or if he just lived his life until that point. The latter shouldn't work under the rules established by the movie. If it's the former, that means he either left Peggy before she died, or at one point there were two Caps alive for several years. And definitely in a splintered timeline.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Why did alternate reality Nebula get killed by one shot? She survived a rocket launcher in Guardians 1. Thought it was convenient how many of the Avengers survived the bombardment at the Avengers HQ.

Thats the sort of writing I can't stand. When it's convenient for a character to die they just let it happen regardless of how it happens.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
People are trying to apply the rules of time travel from various other movies despite them giving a sizeable list of movies and saying it doesn't work like any of them.

There is nothing in this movie that suggests genuine branches to the timeline are created by anything except removing the Infinity Stones.

At most I could buy that substantial differences like Thanos's untimely death create their own branch. (I don't think it's really implied or necessary for there to be a whole separate ongoing universe without Thanos in it, but I could buy it.)

But the idea that every single visit to the past creates an alternate timeline is definitely not stated and goes way beyond the reach of what the movie is implying when the rules are explained.

Returning Mjolnir suggested to me that any changes that weren't self-correcting would cause a branch.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

As for Ragnarok, Hela showed that the Gauntlet in there was fake. Loki could have been doing a double take since he knew he had it. It didn't show him taking it.

But he didn't.

That Loki that escaped is another Loki entirely.

Just like how Nebula could kill the 2014 Nebula and she still exists fine.

Cross

Oct 25, 2017

Nah, the Loki that escaped with the Space Stone is from an alternate timeline.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Ok just got out of my second showing.

Still not sure how Cap going back in time didn't at the very least create a new timeline. Also unclear on if he traveled back to the "present" on his own, or if he just lived his life until that point. The latter shouldn't work under the rules established by the movie. If it's the former, that means he either left Peggy before she died, or at one point there were two Caps alive for several years. And definitely in a splintered timeline.

I left the cinema thinking he lived in the present timeline until the present day, because he appears sitting on the bench in civilian clothes. That seems like a simple visual signifier that he didn't appear the same way he just disappeared.

If I think too much about this shit I get irritated though. Hate time travel!!!

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
That hit me harder than the later, bigger moments because their bond in both Ant-man movies is so believable. Which is why I love Ant-man being an integral part of the movie

Yeah-as a dad I was sitting there right next to my daughter watching and it hit me hard. Imagine losing those years and not seeing you child grew up-and she thought you were dead the entire time.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Ant-Man shrunk himself down to absorb that impact, which tracks with the logic of his powers.

Just, you know, follow along
He clearly didn't shrink immediately. It's always funny to me when people like you can't understand when people like me don't enjoy the thing you did and you immediately jump to insults in order to protect your own thought process. We all have different opinions on how particular events play out and if they were written well or not.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Movie was outstanding. Caught it in a theatre that had maybe 40 people in it.

Now I'm watching it again with a full room. Hopefully people go nuts like those Infinity War India screenings.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
It really doesn't work as clearly as you think because the movies main logic is you can't change the past in order to change the present or future. So returning stones to the past doesn't even deter the alternate realities from transpiring when they're removed to begin with.

There is no doubt in my mind something got fucked and they will have to answer for it. I'm not clear what can come of Loki disappearing with the Tesseract or maybe it's something else OR maybe it's an entity that has been alerted to all of this time manipulation and disrupting the natural order. Who the hell knows but I do think something bad will happen because of what they did.

Maybe everything is fine from this film but maybe Ant-Man and his people keep messing around with the quantum realm and something comes of that.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
He clearly didn't shrink immediately. It's always funny to me when people like you can't understand when people like me don't enjoy the thing you did and you immediately jump to insults in order to protect your fragile psyche.

I'm not insulting you. And you're being kind of weirdly aggressive tbh.

I'm just saying that there are pretty easy explanations to what you are saying and you're dismissing them pretty half-heartedly. It's fine if you don't like something, but saying it doesn't make sense when they establish the logic ahead of time for it to make sense is not "not enjoying the thing", it's just misunderstanding it.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still thinking about the " I'm Iron Man " scene. It's just perfect. The Russo are so good at understanding these characters ...

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
He clearly didn't shrink immediately. It's always funny to me when people like you can't understand when people like me don't enjoy the thing you did and you immediately jump to insults in order to protect your own thought process. We all have different opinions on how particular events play out and if they were written well or not.

Speaking of insults.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
They definitely spun some whack timelines out of thier shenanigans, even if they aren't doomed. Like the timeline knocked out Quill is in suddenly no longer has Thanos, his army, Gamorra, or Nebula.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The best is how desperate Scott gets hoping Cassie isn't in the list. One of the best Marvel characters and makes me happy how well integrated him and his characters are in the universe as someone who always liked Ant-Man a lot.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
http:///wdtd.png

This is how the movie explains it.

When they talk about closing off "Branches" they aren't talking about removing that alternate timeline.

They're talking about removing the branch created by the removal of the Stone.

Edit: The Timeline that The Ancient One shows is her own Alt. Timeline. Hence why she shows the 6 Infinity Stones on it and how it would branch off by removing one.
Quoting this so I can easily find it. Going back to this you posted, to try and understand it.

So when the Avengers went back to 2012, that already created a branching timeline, and so they steal the infinity stones off that alternate timeline?

Status
Not open for further replies.