• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so beyond heated right now. I am so sick of this shit and how it continues to happen. Even with everything going on right now, these assholes are all "hey lets just kill this black dude sleeping one off". Fucking fuck.

OP
OP
Armadilo

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everybody needs to see that cops are fucks and just because he's black they have to arrest him while if he was white, there would be a higher chance of giving that person off with a warning and even a ride home, fuck..

also-

bootz

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Concern trolling in a sensitive thread regarding a police killing, junior account
Even so.. just let the man run. Give chase like old fashioned cops do. No need to shoot him cause he bested you in a got damn scuffle.

He grabbed and aimed a taser at the cop as well? Why leave that out?

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
He grabbed and aimed a taser at the cop as well? Why leave that out?
Because it was already a discharged taser! It wasn't a threat and even if it wasnt already discharged wtf could a taser do to a dude that was more than 9 feet away while the asailant was running aiming back? Answer: not a got damn thing!

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Cops can find ways to take Aggressive people with guns and mass shooters in nonlethally, but they can't deal with a guy who's using a less-than-lethal weapon in from beyond the weapon's maximum range?

Well I suppose those people they took in safely were white

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
FWIW, Greg Doucette's opinion on what could happen in the courts (click through for more thought).

tl;dr, law isn't fair

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
I'm white and have a pristine record and I get nervous around cops. Some of you need to imagine what it must be like to be a black man in that situation and how scare you might be. All these critiques, but if you literally thought you'd get roughed up and murdered, you'd probably run too.

I feel like so much of America is just used to cops shooting people being a response to disobedience. We've got to get over that normalcy.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
Rayshard obviously knew he was intoxicated and shouldn't drive... so he didn't. He's repeatedly stated he wanted to walk home.
He wasn't belligerent.

Trying to book him for DUI is cruel and something that would have ruined his life. A better system would have had the cop drop him home, and taken his keys for the station or something.

It's so senseless.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to make sense of this from Australia. This all happened over 24 hours ago and I'm only just learning about it. Seems in stark contrast to the events of the last few weeks where I feel like I was watching everything unfold live.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
The law will be on the cops side since Rayshard grabbed and aimed the taser. The issue is that the law will be on the cops side. They have far too much authority to take life instead and not enough motivation to de-escalate the conflict.

Imur

Jan 4, 2018
It´s horrible to see how this happens again. There is no justification for shooting this guy, even if he pointed a taser at the cops. I hope this guy will go to jail.

Some of the reactions here are hard to understand for me though. To make it more clear let me tell you what would happen in my country in the same situation. It's important to mention, that we have 83 Million citizens and our police did shoot on people 45 times in 2019. 11 People got killed and it was all self defense. Of course I wasn't there and can't tell for sure it was self defense but I have enough trust for the system in my country to believe most of them if not all were necessary.

If someone fall asleep drunk in the drive thorugh in my country you would absolutely call the cops. It would be the only responsbile thing to do. It would not be safe to just wake him up and ask him to leave, even if there would be nearly no chance he`s armed because nearly no one is allowed to have a gun, like it should be in a civilized country. BUT: he could just drive away. Every person he kills with his car now is on you. And why would you not call the cops? They are really here to help in my country. (of course some of them are pigs too...but assholes are everywhere)

The cops would talk to the drunken guy and make an alcohol test. Since he was obviously drunk and most likely drove this car (you could check that later with surveillance cameras) they WOULD arrest him to take a blood test. You need this later in court. Maybe he would go to the "sober up cell" to sleep, that depends on how drunk he is and how he behaves. The next day he would walk home with a complaint.

As you can see: in my world the Wendy's didn't do anything wrong and the police was right do arrest him. The real problem in this situation is the totally unnecessary shooting and like I said, he has to go to jail for that.

If you guys can't even call the cops to solve a small problem like this because you have to expect that something like this happens, the US is even more fucked up than I thought. Sorry, but this stuff is just not normal.

The most obvious problems for me are:

1. Of course racism. I don't have to explain that. It is a problem. Our Police has racist tendencies too, but you can't compare it.

2. The possibilty that everyone could be armed. Your police has to assume that and it will influence the way they will handle every situation. I will never get why normal citizens need weapons.

3. The ridiciolous training for your police officers. In my country there is an apprenticeship to sell bread and other stuff in a bakery. It takes three years. THREE YEARS. How long is your police training? Yeah... of course they are not trained well.

Again: I don't want to excuse what this pig did. I just don't get some comments and want to tell you guys how this situation would be handled in a country with an (obviously) better police.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It´s horrible to see how this happens again. There is no justification for shooting this guy, even if he pointed a taser at the cops. I hope this guy will go to jail.

Some of the reactions here are hard to understand for me though. To make it more clear let me tell you what would happen in my country in the same situation. It's important to mention, that we have 83 Million citizens and our police did shoot on people 45 times in 2019. 11 People got killed and it was all self defense. Of course I wasn't there and can't tell for sure it was self defense but I have enough trust for the system in my country to believe most of them if not all were necessary.

If someone fall asleep drunk in the drive thorugh in my country you would absolutely call the cops. It would be the only responsbile thing to do. It would not be safe to just wake him up and ask him to leave, even if there would be nearly no chance he`s armed because nearly no one is allowed to have a gun, like it should be in a civilized country. BUT: he could just drive away. Every person he kills with his car now is on you. And why would you not call the cops? They are really here to help in my country. (of course some of them are pigs too...but assholes are everywhere)

The cops would talk to the drunken guy and make an alcohol test. Since he was obviously drunk and most likely drove this car (you could check that later with surveillance cameras) they WOULD arrest him to take a blood test. You need this later in court. Maybe he would go to the "sober up cell" to sleep, that depends on how drunk he is and how he behaves. The next day he would walk home with a complaint.

As you can see: in my world the Wendy's didn't do anything wrong and the police was right do arrest him. The real problem in this situation is the totally unnecessary shooting and like I said, he has to go to jail for that.

If you guys can't even call the cops to solve a small problem like this because you have to expect that something like this happens, the US is even more fucked up than I thought. Sorry, but this stuff is just not normal.

The most obvious problems for me are:

1. Of course racism. I don't have to explain that. It is a problem. Our Police has racist tendencies too, but you can't compare it.

2. The possibilty that everyone could be armed. Your police has to assume that and it will influence the way they will handle every situation. I will never get why normal citizens need weapons.

3. The ridiciolous training for your police officers. In my country there is an apprenticeship to sell bread and other stuff in a bakery. It takes three years. THREE YEARS. How long is your police training? Yeah... of course they are not trained well.

Again: I don't want to excuse what this pig did. I just don't get some comments and want to tell you guys how this situation would be handled in a country with an (obviously) better police.

The possibility that someone is armed doesn't mean you treat them as they are, because you know, if you're going to point a gun at someone and pull the trigger you better be 100% sure they are armed and about to do the same to you.

The whole thing with due process is the cop isn't supposed to be a fucking executioner because they "think someone might have a gun." That's a fucking bullshit reason to murder someone.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Are American cops trained to also have their handgun at the ready in case their taser failed against someone with a taser?

Imur

Jan 4, 2018
The possibility that someone is armed doesn't mean you treat them as they are, because you know, if you're going to point a gun at someone and pull the trigger you better be 100% sure they are armed and about to do the same to you.

The whole thing with due process is the cop isn't supposed to be a fucking executioner because they "think someone might have a gun." That's a fucking bullshit reason to murder someone.

I never said thats a reason to murder someone. Especially not in this Situation, the last points are more general problems. I can't explain it as good as I could in my language, so maybe it's on me for not choose my words better. It does change your mindset in every situation if you know you could be in (theoretically) danger all the time. You don't have to be as alarmed if that's not the case. It's a realistic scenario in the US that a cop, even if he does his job right, has to use his gun during his career so he already has this possibility in his mind. In my country most cops never use the weapon in their whole life. They think different about it, it's just there but it's not even a possibilty for them to use it. If they do it, it's only if they really desperate and don't know how to help themself without it.

That doesn't excuse anything. But I'm sure it would help to ban guns. It would help to deescalate a lot of situations. Of course the police training should also be done, it's even more important.

OP
OP
Armadilo

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also
The law will be on the cops side since Rayshard grabbed and aimed the taser. The issue is that the law will be on the cops side. They have far too much authority to take life instead and not enough motivation to de-escalate the conflict.
you saw from the bodycam that the cops didn't flinch or anything when they killed him, they knew that they didn't have to but did.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Police farming black people to fill their quotas like they're playing World of Warcraft.
Private prisons are the new plantations.

OP
OP
Armadilo

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope this haunts him for the rest of his days. These men have blood on their hands.
Again a big problem with police, they are all pussies for a lack of a better word.

When they became officers, they understood the dangers of it.

But in reality they always shoot first, always think the worst in situations when such deadly force is unnecessary to fix the problem.

Cops are scared for their life and will always take someone else's life even though those people never would have hurt them, let alone indanger the officers life.

Cops have too much power that they just get away with anything.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Regardless of where the car was parked or if he was drunk or whatever, it shouldn't be a fucking sentence for death.

Even if the guy tried to grab his taser, a non lethal weapon, it's not a reason to use deadly force and fucking shoot someone.

Mest08

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Regardless of where the car was parked or if he was drunk or whatever, it shouldn't be a fucking sentence for death.

Even if the guy tried to grab his taser, a non lethal weapon, it's not a reason to use deadly force and fucking shoot someone.
So this may sound fucked up. And I'm not defending the police at all. I've posted here several times that I'm former law enforcement and quit after 10 years, in my early 30s, because of the bull shit. But do you know why cops get tased and pepper sprayed in training? It's so that in court, they can testify that if a subject steals their oc spray or taser and tries to use them against the cop, the cop can, without a doubt, state that the weapon could incapacitate them and give the subject time to steal their service weapon, which is a deadly weapon. That's the theory behind it, anyway.

I don't think that's the case here as there are two cops and the victim was fleeing so even if he successfully used the taser, it's not like he was actively fighting. He was trying to get away. I'd hope the courts see it as shooting a fleeing person but we all know how this will most likely play out.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Police Bodycam, Damn Rayshard Brooks seemed really nice and was trying to do everything correctly but the Police already wanted to start something

How the fuck did it end the way it did when they had ample time to just take him to his sister's. He knew he had too much to drink and didn't attempt to leave the parking lot.

He complied as far as I could see, they just wanted to arrest him when it was just easier to get him home.

I hope they get to jail and then realise what gang violence is...

ps3ud0 8)

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm glad the Wendys was burned down. They deserved it. And the workers that called the cops deserved it too. I'd've said they should be fired but they're clearly out of a job now anyway. Perfect.
What were the employee's supposed to do in this situation, exactly? Just leave him blocking the drive thru? Potentially put themselves in harms way telling a guy who is parked in the drive thru to move? Clearly if he's parked there something's going on.

I'm not seeing how Wendy's or the employee's are in any way to blame for this.

Deleted member 59

Rayshard obviously knew he was intoxicated and shouldn't drive... so he didn't. He's repeatedly stated he wanted to walk home.
He wasn't belligerent.

Trying to book him for DUI is cruel and something that would have ruined his life. A better system would have had the cop drop him home, and taken his keys for the station or something.

It's so senseless.

Police can't just take his word for it though. If they let him walk there's nothing to say he couldn't walk back, get in his car and drive it home, while still intoxicated and if anything happens it's on them, so they probably felt they were doing what was in public interest to do.

Should never have ended how it did though, real sad watching how it played out because everyone was being calm :(

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
He wasn't belligerent.

It's so senseless.
He clearly drove there while intoxicated. I'm not seeing anything wrong with booking him for a DUI. The courts can decide if he was, and based on the evidence it's hard to come to a conclusion where he wasn't.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Cops are a bunch of trigger happy forwards. Fuck all of them. Like many of you have said--they could've taken him to his sister's, and once it got out of control they could've just let him have that punk ass taser.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just straight up murdered in cold blood. Fucking unreal as always.

I saw the video on twitter and what this description seems to gloss over is that the grabbing of the taser was well before the shooting. He managed to get away and start running and then was shot as he ran away.

Right he shouldnt have did all that (resist, grab taser, run) but obviously he wasnt in the right frame of mind due to alcohol and regardless, that doesnt warrant being murdered for. Like, thats not a situation where you now have the ok to just murder someone. In that situation you chase em, if they get away they get away and u put a warrant out. You dont shoot em in the back over sleeping in car and then resisting.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've always learnt you shouldn't run or resist arrest let alone aim something at them as the police -might- fire shots. But in this case I think the enforcers could outrun and tackle him? Fire a warning shot.

US Law Enforcement seems to be fucked up. Do something they don't like, and they might fucking kill you. Yeah that doesn't sound geat.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've always learnt you shouldn't run or resist arrest let alone aim something at them as the police -might- fire shots. But in this case
But in this case you just chase and if he gets away, he gets away. You put out a warrant for his arrest. Thats it.
No "warning shot" no shot period.

Im sure Rayshard "learnt" he shouldnt run as well but he obviously was drunk and wasnt in his right frame of mind. Drunk folk resist arrest all the time. You see it all the time on cop shows. But they dont deserve to be murdered for it(and im not saying you are stating as such)

Oct 25, 2017
Potentially put themselves in harms way telling a guy who is parked in the drive thru to move?

How is asking someone to move putting themselves in harms way?

I mean, I can see the logic here that anyone in the US might have a gun. But by that logic, asking someone to move their car isn't putting themselves in danger anymore than working in Wendy's in the first place. It isn't putting themselves in danger anymore than leaving their house.

Yes, there's something off about someone sitting in the drive thru not moving. But it could be many thing--he might have had a heart attack, a stroke. In this case he was inebriated.

The fact that Americans think a car not moving in a drive thru is cause to call the cops is one of the problems with America. The fact that cops respond to such a call ready to draw a taser or firearms is one of the problems with America. If the Wendys employees had done minimal investigation, this would have been avoided. If the cops hadn't put themselves in a position where a citizen can get ahold of one of their weapons, this would not have happened.

HenrySwanson

Nov 23, 2017
Wouldn't he have had to give a sample at a police station after being handcuffed and that's why they couldn't just "let him go"?