• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lyte edge

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I went kinda nuts on this game and bought the digital version from the Japanese eShop, to have it playable today, plus have the CE coming from Amazon UK next week.

But you know what? It was absolutely worth it.

lyte edge

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does this game have a story you want to play through more than once, kinda like Neir? Different endings or such? Or is it just about playing again for harder difficulty?

It's not that in-depth of a story (at least, not so far), but it's also not an RPG like Nier. No idea about different endings or unlockable difficulties yet.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
That's the first way I tried playing it- the framerate seems near rock-solid when docked or handheld and the resolution is high. Absolutely amazing.

I captured a few things from the beginning:

EDKJirjVAAA2MUN

the 90s called and want their police anime back. it is really gorgeous!

Tye

Oct 27, 2017
Please tell me you can put the male player character in shorts like the female player character has by default.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Ok well that was the most nuts opening to a game I've played in a while

Also I wondered if this would have some kind of Bloodborne style frame pacing issues or something like that but it feels surprisingly smooth from the beginning to me.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Is your character the actual main character of the game or is the sibling the main character while your character is a useless sack of flesh like Byleth?

Redline23

Aug 18, 2019
Does this game have a story you want to play through more than once, kinda like Neir? Different endings or such? Or is it just about playing again for harder difficulty?
Thats mostly Yoko Taro thing, he did that with original Drakengard, Drakengard 3 and original NIER. Yoko Taro didn't worked on Astral Chain.

Kureransu

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone here know if the game supports surround sound? The store page doesn't mention if it's in there.
i don't know about pickup, but my walmart already has it. I actually had it in hand to buy, but the register won't allow a sale until the 30th, so i'll be in there at 6 am to get mine (i literally live behind my closest walmart).

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
For those who've played it, I have a question:

I have a 10 hour flight tomorrow. Does this game seem like a remotely decent plane game, or should I play Transistor and then buy AC after I land?

lyte edge

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You have to do police investigations and can use your Legion to help- got asshole local cops who won't talk to you? Listen in!

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Ok, only had a quick look tonight before bed but love it already. Tried it dock and just got past the title card, seeing as I was on a media blackout, that was both surprising and awesome at the same time.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
oh you can change the language after you finish the whole intro, ok ok.

restarted the game with japanese voices and a male character because there were at least two blatant ass shots in the cutscenes with the lady and I gotta know if its the same with the dude lol.

also turned on all the camera options to see what the difference is, the camera is kinda crazy by default (in a weird way not necessarily a bad way) so im assuming those toggles make it more like a normal action game? guess I'll find out.

seems you still need to do the intro on "casual" tho it wouldnt let me change.

edit: dude gets the same ass shots lol

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
what difficulty are you guys playing on? just changed to "standard PT" so...err... hard? >_>

Oct 27, 2017
yeah the default camera is a bit unwieldy in combat, wondering which options are ideal. Seems like fixed camera in combat is helpful...

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
oh you can change the language after you finish the whole intro, ok ok.

restarted the game with japanese voices and a male character because there were at least two blatant ass shots in the cutscenes with the lady and I gotta know if its the same with the dude lol.

also turned on all the camera options to see what the difference is, the camera is kinda crazy by default (in a weird way not necessarily a bad way) so im assuming those toggles make it more like a normal action game? guess I'll find out.

seems you still need to do the intro on "casual" tho it wouldnt let me change.

edit: dude gets the same ass shots lol
Gonna need side by side comparison of the ass shots asap.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
Does anyone have an image of the default control scheme? I'd love to review it just a bit before I start playing tonight.

Kubricks

Oct 31, 2017
The game is so beautiful but I am so confuse during combat.... wtf is going on lol.
How do you even combo with the legion? Do they just attack by themselves all you need to do is re-position them?

I switch the dodge to ZR and attack on attack on Y like what most action game does, I hope it will still work when the combat gets more complex in later stage.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sooo close to getting this on the e-shop. Ah...I'm probably gonna take the plunge.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's the first way I tried playing it- the framerate seems near rock-solid when docked or handheld and the resolution is high. Absolutely amazing.

EDKJirjVAAA2MUN

Also-

I thought I read that Astral Chain had a kind of dual stick control thing going on? This is not really the case, except in one specific instance. Game play is set up like this:

Left stick: Move/Run
Right stick: Camera/lock-on (and switch targets)
D-pad: Switch between baton or gun
B: Dodge (You can do "perfect dodges" which are similar to activating witch time in Bayonetta)
+: Turn on AR-style info system. Gives you enemy health read-outs and NPC bios and such.
ZR: Attack
ZL: Summon your Legion (left stick and ZL will tell the Legion what directions to go in. You can also use it to call it back to you.)
R: Put Legion away (you can only leave it out for a certain amount of time before it "overheats" and needs a recharge)

If you hold ZL down and use the right stick, you can control the Legion's movement directly. This can be used to make it run around an enemy and wrap it up in the chains, freezing it in place and letting you freely beat the shit out of it for a period of time.
You can also use ZL and the left stick to send the Legion shooting out towards enemies who are about to charging at you. If you time this right, you'll knock the enemy of the charge and counter it.

So it really isn't as crazy as some of the videos might make the game play seem- you're controlling your own character 99% of the time and the Legion just helps you beat the shit out of everyone.

The game also offers a babby-mode that will play itself for you, like Bayonetta 2 did, if you just want to see the story. Oh, and you can go to your locker at the station and change up your character's appearance at any time. Speaking of appearances, the character designs really scream "Masakazu Katsura." Many of the characters look like they came right out of Double Decker! Doug & Kirill and your Legion looks like armor from Tiger & Bunny, lol.

Got damn that screenshot fire!!!!

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got the game and just finished chapter 2. This has easily the worst intro of any of Platinum's games since it for some reason doesn't explain any of the core mechanics when it introduces them. Instead they're only explained in the training room at the HQ, meaning that when they were actually introduced I just kinda had to fumble around until the next cutscene happened. Also doesn't help that you only really get a limited set of mechanics in the first chapter, which aren't that fun to use.

The second chapter felt more solid though, since at that point all the core mechanics are introduced and explained, and it becomes more of a Platinum action game. It can still be frustrating at times but at least I know what I'm doing now. Though I wish it didn't spend as much time on investigation as it does since the writing is generally pretty boring. I usually love the characters in Platinum's games but the ones in this are mostly just boring generic anime characters. The one exception being Marie who is good comic relief.

Overall, so far get the feeling that while the game isn't as weak as most of Platinum's licensed games, it's also far from being as good as something like Bayonetta or Metal Gear Rising. I remember having a more fun time with Transformer Devastation than I'm having with this.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like in terms of length I heard it can be anywhere from 15-40 hours depending on how much side content you do?

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
going to have to wait till next week to pick this up the wait will be hard
but im still on my first house in three houses lol

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
I feel like in terms of length I heard it can be anywhere from 15-40 hours depending on how much side content you do?
Yeah, people were saying the main story is like 15-25 hours, but the post-game could go up to 50 or so. Not sure whether post-game just means boss rushes and tough enemy encounters or if there's more to it.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
you can put some tights on the lady at least (locker room in the police station to change various clothing items)

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017

EDKJirjVAAA2MUN

Also-

I thought I read that Astral Chain had a kind of dual stick control thing going on? This is not really the case, except in one specific instance. Game play is set up like this:

Left stick: Move/Run
Right stick: Camera/lock-on (and switch targets)
D-pad: Switch between baton or gun
B: Dodge (You can do "perfect dodges" which are similar to activating witch time in Bayonetta)
+: Turn on AR-style info system. Gives you enemy health read-outs and NPC bios and such.
ZR: Attack
ZL: Summon your Legion (left stick and ZL will tell the Legion what directions to go in. You can also use it to call it back to you.)
R: Put Legion away (you can only leave it out for a certain amount of time before it "overheats" and needs a recharge)

If you hold ZL down and use the right stick, you can control the Legion's movement directly. This can be used to make it run around an enemy and wrap it up in the chains, freezing it in place and letting you freely beat the shit out of it for a period of time.
You can also use ZL and the left stick to send the Legion shooting out towards enemies who are about to charging at you. If you time this right, you'll knock the enemy of the charge and counter it.

So it really isn't as crazy as some of the videos might make the game play seem- you're controlling your own character 99% of the time and the Legion just helps you beat the shit out of everyone.

The game also offers a babby-mode that will play itself for you, like Bayonetta 2 did, if you just want to see the story. Oh, and you can go to your locker at the station and change up your character's appearance at any time. Speaking of appearances, the character designs really scream "Masakazu Katsura." Many of the characters look like they came right out of Double Decker! Doug & Kirill and your Legion looks like armor from Tiger & Bunny, lol.

Thank you for posting the controls, I've been wondering what the attack button was. Interesting its ZR but it makes sense in a game like this.

I hope someone will be working on a guide that shows all the hidden toilet locations that Taura talked about. Apparently it unlocks something really cool/helpful if you find all of them.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
First impressions cant be better. Amazing game visually and sound-wise. Love the cinematographic approach (anime-ish of course). You need to get used to the controls tho.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
this game is kicking my ass in Pt Standard. Dodging is useless if enemies have multi-hit attacks

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Also the visuals are incredible. How come Astral Chain can have so high a resolution with this much detail and other games are getting clowned for delivering much less?

Loving this game so far. The customization rocks

RQ1nNMM.png