• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming there will still be physical media for games, do you want slimmer cases? The cases for all consoles are thicker than they should be, in my mind. That's because they all have space for an instruction manual, which most games don't even include anymore (and when they do, it's often a two to tree page pamphlet). Sure, you'd miss out on the spine artwork (it that's your sort of thing), but I would value the added shelf space. What about you?

Edit- This is the size I'm thinking of:
YxJoNMI.jpg

Last edited:

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
If by slimmer you mean "Made of cardboard". Hell no.

I've noped many "launch editions" because they had "artbook packaging".

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather have cardboard cases no matter the size. All this plastic is unnecessary.

There will definitely still be physical media for games, though, for a number of reasons.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
This size:

Like I said in a post above, The Matrix Collection on Blu-Ray used this size for the box set.

That would be acceptable to me.

I was thinking of one of those typical "collections" from back in the DVD days. Was basically a cardboard sleeve with disc holders. I hated those stupid things so badly..

(EDIT: Just remembered my blu-ray Being Human season 1 set has that kind of case, so they still happen for Blu-rays. lol)

Last edited:

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
super slim cases would be fine as long as they actually hold the disk.
ive felt cases are too big since booklets started getting removed

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
What are the chances of it slightly being cheaper since prodction costs wod be lower with slimmer/smaller cases?

May 24, 2019
I'd rather Euro Mega CD/PS1 type jewelcases for disks. Or digipacs to get rid of brittle plastic of old CD cases.
There's no need for tall boxes.

I think Switch cases should be DS sized too, but I guess the perception is tall=console experience.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I'm happy with non-plastic packaging. You can have really nice glossy sleeves in cardboard with embossed logos and stuff. It's all in how you design it.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nah, i'd rather keep it as they are now. I like to be able to see the titles easily.

also no to cardboard boxes, every one i'd had is terrible and breaks down easily.
videogames aren't meant to be disposable...

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Make them paper or cardboard or whatever. We need less plastic, not more.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I'd rather go back to the cardboard casing of the NES days. Have a paper sleeve inside Help reduce the amount of plastic that is in this world.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
sure. the switch cases are a nice size in terms of height and width, wouldnt mind those being even thinner or smaller
but the more important question is
when will we finally ditch CDs for cartridges?

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
I think switch games should come in cases the same size as famicom cartridges, but thinner. Have two variations. One just thick enough for the game, and one as thick as the current case - with room for a manual.

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, I like cases that encourage room for inserts, manuals and other goodies. I realize that a lot of publishers don't bother, but there are still companies like Xseed and Nicalis that provide stuff like this and it matters. Cases like the ones pictured in the OP would eliminate this stuff.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Since there is no manual inside anyway, I would like to have something of the size of a normal jewel case but with better build quality.

Like a DS/3DS case that fits a disc.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've often had the thought about why we still have such large cases, especially now that there's rarely anything in them except for the game itself. I'd be absolutely down for slimmer (and smaller in general) cases. But please, don't go back to cardboard, looking at the average state of those from back then, that's terrible for long term use.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather go back to the cardboard casing of the NES days. Have a paper sleeve inside Help reduce the amount of plastic that is in this world.

NES carts had quite a bit of plastic in them.
Which is why they didn't need the extra protection a plastic case would provide.

I don't think you thought this through :)

lightchris

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Nope, I like cases that encourage room for inserts, manuals and other goodies. I realize that a lot of publishers don't bother, but there are still companies like Xseed and Nicalis that provide stuff like this and it matters. Cases like the ones pictured in the OP would eliminate this stuff.

I'm having the same thoughts.

While it is unlikely to happen, I'd love some more printed handbooks. The price should be negligible (and even if it wasn't, it'd be worth it for me).

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
PS1 jewel cases are the gold standard. Since games don't use instruction manuals anymore, that would be welcome.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I rather cases become smaller, especially in the case of the Switch. There's a lot of unused space in that console's packaging.

Jakke_Koala

Sep 28, 2018
If by slimmer you mean "Made of cardboard". Hell no.

I've noped many "launch editions" because they had "artbook packaging".
I don't know, i like the cardboard CD-cases a lot of smaller bands use (yeah i still buy cd's).
Wouldn't really mind it for games. Also, a shitload of plastic less in this world.