• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Metacritic Score Predictions:

• 95-99

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 90-94

Votes: 16 2.7%
  • 85-89

Votes: 184 31.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 306 52.1%
  • 70-79

Votes: 68 11.6%
  • <70

Votes: 11 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hitokiri03

Oct 25, 2017
Current gen performance and resolution

Xbox One X uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest native resolution found being approximately 2432x1368. Native resolution pixel counts near 3093x1740 seem to be common on Xbox One X. Xbox One X seems to rarely render at a native resolution of 3840x2160.

PS4 Pro uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest native resolution found being approximately 1824x1026. Native resolution pixel counts near 2304x1296 seem to be common on PS4 Pro. PS4 Pro downsamples from this resolution when outputting at 1080p with forced supersampling disabled.

PS4 uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 1920x1080 and the lowest native resolution found being approximately 1493x840. Native resolution pixel counts near 1728x972 seem to be common on PS4.

Xbox One S uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 1600x900 and the lowest native resolution found being approximately 1194x672. Native resolution pixel counts near 1344x756 seem to be common on Xbox One S. All four consoles use a form of temporal reconstruction that can increase the resolution up to the highest resolution found on each console (e.g. up to a maximum of 2560x1440 on PS4 Pro) when they are rendering natively below this resolution.

Xbox One X has some enhancements over the other consoles such as: improved LOD transition distance (6:25), a longer draw distance (4:45) and improved texture quality in some scenes

GreatBriTom

Host/Producer at GameSpot
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
quick glance at the reviews and it seems its even less like "old" AC

It's something I go into in my review. Despite them promising to return to the franchises' roots, it's decidedly very not traditional, but what it does beat is the stuff that is very in-Assassin's Creed.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Thanks for your impressions and I agree about GoT. After playing it and seeing previews for Valhalla, it just feels like GoT might have ruined Valhalla for me.
For real. I don't really like to compare games in my reviews unless they are from the same series, but GoT just did so much cool stuff with the formula. I think Ubi really needs to step its game up with the next AC.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Opinions on the story seem all over the place. Some hate it and some love it

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
This is higher than I was expecting. I'm happy the game turned out alright. I will play it after Demons/Spiderman/Astro, so hopefully all bugs will be patched by then!

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
I mean, these are the usual AC reviews, nothing surprising. I was expecting low 80s and that's exactly where the game is landing

OC is currently 82 with 55 reviews, the game is going to stay there or dropping 1-2 points maximum

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
quick glance at the reviews and it seems its even less like "old" AC
Definitely. There aren't a lot of big cities with roofs to run over, there aren't huge crowds to disappear into. It's mostly crouching in the grass and whistling to lure guards over until you can reach your target. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing but the series is straying more and more away from the core of what it was years ago.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
can any Reviewer in here tell me if the games lets you complete the main quest without grinding or doing endless side content?

Also if possible, how hard is it to fight an enemy that is some level higher than you? In Odyssey it was nearly impossible or took half a year.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
82 on OpenCritic is very solid, enough for me to order, so this will now be the first game I play on my Series X. Good stuff.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe it is time to make two distinct AC game lines:

Classic AC: Stealth kill focus

NuAC: Odyssey and Valhalla-style

as someone who loves Origin and Odyssey, yes. They should.

That being said, people that REFUSE TO CALL THIS AC or say that AC IS DEAD THIS ISNT AC are still hilarious to me.

GreatBriTom

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
can any Reviewer in here tell me if the games lets you complete the main quest without grinding or doing endless side content?

Also if possible, how hard is it to fight an enemy that is some level higher than you? In Odyssey it was nearly impossible or took half a year.

main campaign stuff is not locked behind levels, but you will need to complete some specific side missions in order to progress at points.

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017
Here's my video review @bingo!

I'm worried about the comments on the PC version.... I'm on old hardware too. Maybe I should have got it on base PS4 instead. It'll be interesting to see it on my sons XB1s compared to my i5 + GTX1060 PC.

Good review that makes me very excited, as long as it'll run :/ and what's with the guy with an axe in his head?... Ah, just a minor flesh wound :)

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

Pretty much. There are no level restrictions anymore like in the old games. It works with a power level system that levels up with each skill point you spend, and they give you a lot of skill points. I had no issue playing level 90 missions with a level ~50 character for example. They just took longer and you have to make sure not to get hit, but it's very doable.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017

I read a review that said there aren't really side quests any more. It's all main quests + collectibles/bonus objectives/ambient activities

GreatBriTom

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'm worried about the comments on the PC version.... I'm on old hardware too. Maybe I should have got it on base PS4 instead. It'll be interesting to see it on my sons XB1s compared to my i5 + GTX1060 PC.

Good review that makes me very excited, as long as it'll run :/ and what's with the guy with an axe in his head?... Ah, just a minor flesh wound :)

dude. It is not worth picking up on PC at launch. It's really fucking bad. A colleague of mine was having issues where NPCs he had to talk with were just dying, and is now soft locked out of progressing.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
As a fan of the stealth-focused AC games I was a little disappointed that sneaking into a fort, killing everyone inside and opening the doors didn't advance the raid I was asked to do... Triggering the raid then respawned everyone and started the battle.

I am hearing a lot of complaining about bugginess.

Ubi, what are U doing? Didn't 500 people work on this?
There have been two patches that resolved a lot of the early bugs. I restarted and haven't had any bosses 'break' and stop fighting, or anything like that.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice, will pick it up for my XSX tomorrow

Heazy

IT Tech
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
I'm predicting high 8's just because the media are going to focus on how PS5/XSX-S can hit 60fps for the first time on consoles.

Oct 26, 2017
The game has insane screen tearing on consoles according to ACG, i thought it was just eurogamers reviewer not having vsync on

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
Nah there's definitely sidequests.

Ah ok, now I'm a bit confused.

Eurogamer said this in their review " Each of its many map regions holds an arc with several main missions and perhaps a secondary objective, but no side-quests whatsoever. Indeed, in what feels like a regression even from Origins, you'll simply run across fleeting world events, which amount to quick interactions with NPCs. "

plow

Oct 28, 2017
main campaign stuff is not locked behind levels, but you will need to complete some specific side missions in order to progress at points.

Thank you that is reassuring. I can get behind doing some side-content, as long as its not bloated.

Pretty much. There are no level restrictions anymore like in the old games. It works with a power level system that levels up with each skill point you spend, and they give you a lot of skill points. I had no issue playing level 90 missions with a level ~50 character for example. They just took longer and you have to make sure not to get hit, but it's very doable.

Thank you! That's what bothered me the mos with Odyssey so that's surely a very pleasing change.

I read a review that said there aren't really side quests any more. It's all main quests + collectibles/bonus objectives/ambient activities

I just thought they didn't call them "Side Quest" but "Stories". Basically roughly the same but with a different name?

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Wait for sale from Karak ? Damn, can't watch his vid atm but his was the opinion (along eurogamer) that I tend to listen to...someone kind enough to point the cons before I watch his video?

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Great scores. I was worried this would be another Legion in terms of reviews...

Can't wait to play it on PS5 on the 19th.

GreatBriTom

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Haven't played one since AC2, how convoluted is the story at this point or can I just jump in?

The modern day stuff is almost nonsensical even if you've played recent games. The odyssey DLC is crucial to understandingit. But I just mainly breeze through that. I think these Games would be better off if they just ditched it tbh. The main stuff set in the past, you don't need any prior knowledge.

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017
dude. It is not worth picking up on PC at launch. It's really fucking bad.A colleague of mine was havingissues where NOCs he had to talk with were just dying, and is now soft locked out of progressing.

Oh well, I'm locked into it now... guess I'll have to wait for patches. Unless Ubi issues refunds?

I've always been lucky with rough games on my PC seemingly not suffering as bad as some... like MS Flight Sim for instance.