• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

whassupbun

Oct 28, 2017
I hate archers so much. I was fighting a Phylakes on the main road, mano a mano, easy. Got his health down to the final 1/4th, some soldiers rode past and joined the fight. Being surrounded in a sword fight was still manageable, but then two archers kept circling around us on horseback and kept shooting me on the back, made me miss my block and counter, and died eventually.

This happened twice until I learnt from my mistake and got the Phylakes to follow me up the hill for a fight. Don't fight on the main road.

Vincent4756

Oct 27, 2017
I freaking love this game. Only level 17 and I just wander around, doing whatever I want. It a just so much fun.

Found out that the little jars that float in the water contain oil, you can shot them with a fire arrow and watch the fire spread out on the water, or you can swim through the oil, and make your own oil paths that move with the current. You can even bring them on land and make oil trails that can make temp fire walls.

And I can watch the robes move with the wind for hours. Such a small detail that adds so much to the world.

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Tried the chariot racing yesterday, and I have a hard time playing it.I just cannot catch up even while boosting and drafting.

Am I missing something? I see no way to perform upgrades if that is possible?

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
Man this game is loooong. I've been playing for like, 30 hours? And still just met
Caesar
Still haven't even officially visited Cirene.

Great stuff.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Tried the chariot racing yesterday, and I have a hard time playing it.I just cannot catch up even while boosting and drafting.

Same here. I'm not enjoying it at all.

I didn't know it was available early on, because I never tried going through the door. I finally tried tonight, now that I'm level 32, hoping it'd give me some XP and be fun, but I don't like it.

I beat the first tournament, but was fighting the controls and the surprising AI difficulty the whole time. It also wasn't fun.

Slamming into other racers is a pain in the ass, and it takes a while to get their health down. There's not much time to do that in a quick, 3 lap race.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I hate archers so much. I was fighting a Phylakes on the main road, mano a mano, easy. Got his health down to the final 1/4th, some soldiers rode past and joined the fight. Being surrounded in a sword fight was still manageable, but then two archers kept circling around us on horseback and kept shooting me on the back, made me miss my block and counter, and died eventually.

This happened twice until I learnt from my mistake and got the Phylakes to follow me up the hill for a fight. Don't fight on the main road.
Yeah, I learned that the hard way as well. Whatever you do, don't fight on the roads.

The AI is vastly improved in this, shield-bearers fully utilize their shields and archers tend to stay away from you strafing from afar. Also, if you stealth-headshot an enemy and another one(s) saw it, they'll cower and hide in a safer place. Another example is when someone noticed you when in stealth, he'll sometime ask his comrade to check your area so you'll have a harder time to assassinate him if you're going for full stealth.

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Yeah, the Redbox rental convinced me I need this game. I have some gift card money and I'm gonna put it to good use.

This game is really satisfying.

It's the setting, the character ( I like Bayek so far), the XP system, the gear upgrades, the atmosphere.

Ubi nailed it and was smart to take a year off AC before going back in.

Really surprised and happy with this game.

There's some classic Ubi-jank but it's not enough to piss me off.

The Gentleman

Oct 27, 2017

I'm not a fan either. I really want to like it but the steering just feels off to me. It's like the chariot only moves on rails. I was finding that it would often head off towards the wall. Getting it back on course was a nightmare. I'll give it another go but sadly it's not something I'm looking forward to unlike the rest of the game.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ai in chariot races needs a nerf.
Once they ko'd me before i ended lap 2.
There better be a damn good mount hidden behind all this.
Also regarding chariot races, early side quest (to old times)
what happens to the questline with bayek's asshole friend who changes his name to race?
I did the follow up quest where his friend offers you a spot on the team, then you save his rare horse. After than nothing ever pops up.
Is the asshole the final opponent in the hippodrome by default?

Chaeotic

Oct 25, 2017
Without spoilers....

Part time fan of the series, hopped out after the travesty that was ending Desmond's story in 3. Is this worth getting invested back, from a lore perspective? I'll endure wonky mechanics and subpar technicalities if it means enjoying and reinvesting in a rich narrative. It's been the only thing keeping me away since 3, the step away from the modern day going ons and little forward movement. It's my greatest love of the movie, we finally got a modern day story and plenty of it.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Without spoilers....

Part time fan of the series, hopped out after the travesty that was ending Desmond's story in 3. Is this worth getting invested back, from a lore perspective? I'll endure wonky mechanics and subpar technicalities if it means enjoying and reinvesting in a rich narrative. It's been the only thing keeping me away since 3, the step away from the modern day going ons and little forward movement. It's my greatest love of the movie, we finally got a modern day story and plenty of it.

I expected nothing from the modern day story and I'm still disappointed.

You should play this game because it is a good game with great gameplay set in a beautiful world , not for its story. The modern day aspect is completely throwaway stuff, and allthough the Egyptian narrative is better, it's still not much. A lot of sidemissions have personality, and the main character is great, but the presentation of the main thread is sub-par.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
In light of that new mount... just to confirm, there's no way to earn Helix credits in-game, is there?
Two things to note here:
1) Helix Credits can be found in the Nomad chests sometimes (the "loot boxes" that cost 3000 drachma). Good money dump at end game.
2) Helix store items, including the new mount and armour, can also be found in these Nomad chests, so you don't even need Helix credits anyway.

I'm really happy about this implementation. Not only are real-money purchases for exactly the items you want (rather than for gambling crates), but the gambling crates are only available with in-game gold. You can however buy in-game gold with real world money, so it's not quite perfect and might still end up catching a few people bad with their money in a "just one more" loop, but it's nice to see a loot crate implementation that isn't chasing whales at the expense of regular gamers. No one is missing out on items here if they don't want to pay more for the game than the cost of entry. And those who don't want to support the game with more money get to buy exactly the items they want from the online store (rather than only being able to buy gamble crates).

Here's one of me being rewarded for testing out the systemic elements like fire.

Holy crap that's amazing. I'd never even thought of trying this, but I've regularly thrown torches around to cause distractions and move guards around a bit.

Also, you know how some guards on horseback seem incredibly clumsy when they charge through towns? One of them knocked over an oil pot down a city street yesterday and set fire to a woman's store front. The NPCs on either side of her store freaked out and ran away, while the woman who owned the store started screaming, ran towards the fire, crouched down, and started throwing sand on it with her hands to put it out. THIS GAME.

I'm about to start playing any tips and tricks for ya boi?
One thing to strongly consider is rushing the main quest up to the point you get the hidden blade. It's very early on in the story so won't take you long, but if you're a completionist you won't consider doing that naturally. You'll want to explore every single map marker on route. The reason I highly recommend doing this and then exploring is because without the blade your "assassinations" are non-lethal, which annoyingly means you can't pick up and move the bodies around afterwards without first breaking stealth to kill them with your main weapon. So stealthy playstyles are much harder before getting the blade. The other benefit of focusing on the store until this point is that you meet a key character, learn a lot more about Bayek and what his motivation is, and so everything you do feels a lot more grounded.

Without spoilers....

So I'm in the minority here, but I'm loving the modern day section in Origins. Like you I haven't enjoyed modern sections since 3, and I feel it's essential to tying the series' overarching story together. However, to really enjoy it you HAVE to enjoy sleuthing through emails and exploring nooks and crannies like you did in AC1. There is a whole lot of info to uncover in the modern day section, mostly about who the new modern protag is, and if you're the kind of player who expects to have that info served on a platter rather than scouring for that info yourself and piecing together the clues, then you won't enjoy it. If you enjoyed AC1's modern day sections though, then this will probably be right up your street. It's similar to that, in that it's a small area (so far at least, still playing) and is more about providing info and context than robust gameplay in a modern era. But even AC2 and 3 were still very barebones modern sections when it came to gameplay, so I assume you'll be okay with that. Also, if you enjoyed the modern section of the movie, the modern protag will definitely appeal to you, but I won't go into why ;)

One other thing, without going into specifics, there's info on the modern protag's laptop that concretely confirms that Watch Dogs and AC are the same universe. That's awesome news for this series, demonstrating Ubisoft's commitment to a future that includes both of these IP.

Last edited:

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
Without spoilers....

You get thrown into the story without much introduction.
It sort of starts explaining itself afterwards. This is my only gripe though since it really redeems itself afterwards.

The characters are relatable and motives are relevant to the story. Besides that it's just a blast to see ancient Egypt come to life with its historic figures.

Chaeotic

Oct 25, 2017
I expected nothing from the modern day story and I'm still disappointed.

You should play this game because it is a good game with great gameplay set in a beautiful world , not for its story. The modern day aspect is completely throwaway stuff, and allthough the Egyptian narrative is better, it's still not much. A lot of sidemissions have personality, and the main character is great, but the presentation of the main thread is sub-par.

You get thrown into the story without much introduction.
It sort of starts explaining itself afterwards. This is my only gripe though since it really redeems itself afterwards.

The characters are relatable and motives are relevant to the story. Besides that it's just a blast to see ancient Egypt come to life with its historic figures.

So I'm in the minority here, but I'm loving the modern day section in Origins. Like you I haven't enjoyed modern sections since 3, and I feel it's essential to tying the series' overarching story together. However, to really enjoy it you HAVE to enjoy sleuthing through emails and exploring nooks and crannies like you did in AC1. There is a whole lot of info to uncover in the modern day section, mostly about who the new modern protag is, and if you're the kind of player who expects to have that info served on a platter rather than scouring for that info yourself and piecing together the clues, then you won't enjoy it. If you enjoyed AC1's modern day sections though, then this will probably be right up your street. It's similar to that, in that it's a small area (so far at least, still playing) and is more about providing info and context than robust gameplay in a modern era. But even AC2 and 3 were still very barebones modern sections when it came to gameplay, so I assume you'll be okay with that. Also, if you enjoyed the modern section of the movie, the modern protag will definitely appeal to you, but I won't go into why ;)

One other thing, without going into specifics, there's info on the modern protag's laptop that concretely confirms that Watch Dogs and AC are the same universe. That's awesome news for this series, demonstrating Ubisoft's commitment to a future that includes both of these IP.

Thanks all - you've alleviated a few fears I had with the setup of this title. Looking forward to delving into this in the very near future!

Oct 27, 2017
I have to laugh sometimes, the way some of the characters say "Bayek" makes it sound like "By 'eck!" which is a north of England expression of surprise. Sensible chuckle.

Still loving this. Still only in Yanu.

- Just realised you can set fire to stuff with fire arrows.

- Saw a group of crocodiles attack an Npc boat and kill both people on it.

- Accidentally strayed into a higher level area and attracted the attentions of a super high level vulture. This vulture followed me into town, I couldn't damage it at all, it started taking on all comers and one shotting every who tried to fight it. It wouldn't leave me alone! It would pause briefly to murder anyone who got in its way then implacably return to harassing poor old Bayek. As the body count mounted, I heroically sacrificed myself to prevent the slaughter continuing. That vulture killed 8 people.

Great game.

cevion

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone else having problems with the daily quests not triggering? The loading screen says "A daily quests is available, visit Reba", but I get no teal (!) sign on the map. No option to interact with Reba. I've only had daily quests 2 out of 6 days now. Playing on PC.

edit: Managed to get the daily by backtracking to different locations that I've seen Reba in. Got a daily quest in Alexendria! :) (Even though I am progressing down in Memphis atm). So if anyone else is having the same problem - try the above!

Oh and the Phylakes drop some sick legendary gear. I was so scared of them, so I hadn't fought one until now (level 28). Time to hunt down the rest!

Last edited:

bugulu

Oct 25, 2017
Tip for anyone trying to 100% the game. And this is a spoiler concerning the mid-end game.
Do not, and I mean, DO NOT, do any of the locations when controlling Byek's wife, Aya. The achievement "Old Habits" needs you to complete all locations, and if you do a single one with his wife when you're controlling her, you'll screw it up, forcing you to restart the game. Just do the mission objective, nothing else.

Last edited:

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Clothing vendors are starting to piss me off with their RNG items.

I've visited at least 10 weavers for the Revelations outfit; nothing. Why is this mechanic so obtuse?

Oct 27, 2017
I have to laugh sometimes, the way some of the characters say "Bayek" makes it sound like "By 'eck!" which is a north of England expression of surprise. Sensible chuckle.

Still loving this. Still only in Yanu.

- Just realised you can set fire to stuff with fire arrows.

- Saw a group of crocodiles attack an Npc boat and kill both people on it.

- Accidentally strayed into a higher level area and attracted the attentions of a super high level vulture. This vulture followed me into town, I couldn't damage it at all, it started taking on all comers and one shotting every who tried to fight it. It wouldn't leave me alone! It would pause briefly to murder anyone who got in its way then implacably return to harassing poor old Bayek. As the body count mounted, I heroically sacrificed myself to prevent the slaughter continuing. That vulture killed 8 people.

Great game.

RIP

All hail the Mega-Vulture.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
How do you reach this stuff?

20171101183427_1mts10.jpg

I've flicked through a handful of gameplay videos of the area (Pharos/Lighthouse of Alexandria) to no avail.

Norwegian_Imposter

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whats the frame rate like on a PS4 Pro playing at 1080p? I am considering getting this for my ps4 too.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
Wasn't enjoying this for the first few hours but boy is this sticking for me now. The world ubisoft has put together for this I'd just incredible. An excellent use of space and sparsity after the increasingly crowded city games. It's eating into my Mario play time which is the best compliment I can give it.

DarkOmnios

Oct 27, 2017

The Traveller

Oct 31, 2017
If either of you find the game playable with no HUD or even minimal HUD, care to share what tricks you use to manage playing the game?

In Syndicate theres a little added challenge going hudless but it makes for a better experience. I really don't like it when I play open world games and it feels like I'm spending half my time looking at a minimap for information.

I haven't played Origins yet but the points your bring up are valid. I would remove whatever you're comfortable with. Usually the less clutter on the screen the better for me, unless it negatively impacts my enjoyment.

Norwegian_Imposter

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

And I loved how the made the animus arm in the movie lore by referring to it in the emails etc even

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Whats the frame rate like on a PS4 Pro playing at 1080p? I am considering getting this for my ps4 too.
Gameplay is usually 30fps average , not been to Alexandria yet, cutscenes are a bit rought tho and thats a shame. Visually is quite amazing. theres still LOD pop in and lower framerate for npcs and fabric in the distance to save perfomance . TBH the most surprising thing for me how aliasing free the image looks. Tho wonder how aggressive the smoothing is , and how much detail it removes.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I've finished the Main Quest at level 37 and have about 30 side quests left to do. Still processing what I feel about it story wise. Starts poorly and ends a bit poorly too is my initial thoughts. Little bit of dissonance doing side quests after the main quest is over too. Loved the game overall - game is huge with so much to see. Haven't seen credits yet so maybe I haven't finished finished it?

cevion

Oct 26, 2017
So what's everyone's most used/favorite bow? I regularly use the predator bow, the hunter bow and the light bow (got one of the latter with life on hit applied, which is very nifty in a pinch.)

I haven't used Warrior Bows much. I now possess a legendary one, also with life on hit. Curious if the talent that decreases the spread is worth picking up. Yet to pick up any bow skills actually (except the slow-mo on stealth kill). Would love some input on the shotgun-esque bow, and bow talents in general.

Cheers!

bugulu

Oct 25, 2017
So what's everyone's most used/favorite bow? I regularly use the predator bow, the hunter bow and the light bow (got one of the latter with life on hit applied, which is very nifty in a pinch.)

I haven't used Warrior Bows much. I now possess a legendary one, also with life on hit. Curious if the talent that decreases the spread is worth picking up. Yet to pick up any bow skills actually (except the slow-mo on stealth kill). Would love some input on the shotgun-esque bow, and bow talents in general.

Cheers!

I prefer the predator bow over the others. The skill that lets you use it as a drone makes it even better. I have used all the bows, and I wasn't fond of the light nor the warrior bow as I found them too weak in general, and I prefer headshotting when using long-range weapons.

cevion

Oct 26, 2017
Dumb question: is there anyway to share photos taken on PS4's photo mode?
According to this, photos are stored in - Settings > Storage > System Storage > Capture Gallery > Assassin's Creed: Origins. From there, you should be able to select your photos and share them however you wish. (I don't have the PS4 version so I can't verify this)

Another option is to view the photo ingame and press the share button, but that might impact the photo quality negatively.

I prefer the predator bow over the others. The skill that lets you use it as a drone makes it even better. I have used all the bows, and I wasn't fond of the light nor the warrior bow as I found them too weak in general, and I prefer headshotting when using long-range weapons.

Thanks for your response! The predator bow is awesome indeed. I'll pick up the drone talent per your advice - seems like a lot of fun! Light bows are pretty bad, damage wise, but I find that this legendary one works nice in close quarters / horse riding situations when I just want to spam headshots and get some health back.

Agree on the warrior bow, though I haven't played with it since around 20 levels ago. Wondering if the "reduces recoil" talent would make it decent. If the life on hit proccs on every arrow, it might be helpful for close-quarters situations (though Warrior Bows have a wind-up IIRC, so maybe I should just stick with the Light Bow for my short-range needs)

Guess there's only one way to find out :]

Last edited:

DaeJim

Founder LifeisXbox.eu
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
The Xbox One X can't come soon enough, so I can continue playing this! It is so hard to ignore all these great games right now because I want to play it on X :/

cevion

Oct 26, 2017
I like hunter bows the most. Super satisfying getting headshots with them
Definitly! That's my most used bow too! It's got good damage and a large arrow pool. Recently started using the predator bow. It's really strong - and sniping people is very satisfying - but you gotta make those arrows count.

Did you pick up any bow talents, or have any to recommend? I want to pimp my bows!

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I see why everyone hates the chariot racing now. I actually really enjoyed the standard tournament mode, won them fairly regularly so long as I was really concentrating and working hard at drifting and ramming, and I'm happy to finally have a legendary horse as my reward. But those elite races... hell no. You take around ten times as much damage from enemy ramming and obstacles, but they still take the same damage as before. It's almost impossible to even finish a race let alone place first. That's the worst kind of difficulty scaling. They can keep their roman warhouse mount, nothing is worth that much frustration =P

Anyone else having problems with the daily quests not triggering? The loading screen says "A daily quests is available, visit Reba", but I get no teal (!) sign on the map. No option to interact with Reba. I've only had daily quests 2 out of 6 days now. Playing on PC.

edit: Managed to get the daily by backtracking to different locations that I've seen Reba in. Got a daily quest in Alexendria! :) (Even though I am progressing down in Memphis atm). So if anyone else is having the same problem - try the above!

Oh and the Phylakes drop some sick legendary gear. I was so scared of them, so I hadn't fought one until now (level 28). Time to hunt down the rest!
Nice tip about the Phylakes! I'll stop avoiding them now. And yep, daily quest kid is very messed up at the moment. Lots of bugs. I've got a quest from him today but the marker vanishes when you get within 100m of it, and there's nothing for Senu to scan (mission is to find a missing worker). Even restarting the quest doesn't fix it. Looks like it needs a patch.

Tip for anyone trying to 100% the game. And this is a spoiler concerning the mid-end game.
Do not, and I mean, DO NOT, do any of the locations when controlling Byek's wife, Aya. The achievement "Old Habits" needs you to complete all locations, and if you do a single one with his wife when you're controlling her, you'll screw it up, forcing you to restart the game. Just do the mission objective, nothing else.
Holy crap, thanks for sharing this. That's really important advice. For anyone worried about the spoiler, I haven't reached this part of the game, but I still knew about this "mechanic" being available at some point in the game. It's a mechanic I was very excited about using a lot, but now will avoid it until it's safe. If you want the explore everywhere trophy, it's worth reading. Not massively spoilery.

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, hunter bow, headshots is way OP in the game. No reason to go into close combat unless necessary. I occasionally use light bows as well.

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did a sidequest 2 levels above me. Had to kill a guy who was 3 levels above me. I just followed him around the city and drained his health using fire bombs. It was hilarious and so fun.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Check every open window. There are multiple windows in that lighthouse, go through each one of them, and you will reach that chest.

Oh, I've already collected the three chests in the area. It's just a small assortment of random lootable objects. They seem to be located on the floor directly above the open window near the closed gate, a little further up the path from the nearby chest. Short of the building opening up as part of a mission, there doesn't seem to be any way to get there: all of the windows around the perimeter are closed off and it's not possible to descend from the upper floor that leads to the top of the building.

Last edited: