• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

brandonh83

Oct 25, 2017
I'm loving the hell out of this game but I haven't been able to follow the plot apart from what's GENERALLY happening and it's been that way with most AC games. The characters are pretty well defined regarding personality, the dialogue writing is pretty good and so on, but the actual storytelling is just all over the place and it just throws names and this and that around.

If I didn't have subtitles enabled I wouldn't be able to tell half the stuff they're saying lol. But it is fun, pretty, and like usual I'm into the gameplay loop. I just wish the writers would get better story consultants.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
This is the greatest bargain in gaming history. Will take me at least 800 hours to 100% the game. Slowly chipping away at it. Have 36 hours played and feel like more and more question marks just keep popping up. Never ends.

Ubisoft definitely did not give a fuck about completionists though. So hard to read the map and the spot the icons. No area % completed stats or anything.

Small thing I love and not sure if a bug but you don't have to swim more than a few seconds before a fishermans boat spawns up to you and you can borrow his boat.

I like that Origins are doesn't prey on your OCD like previous AC. No more collectible, chest not marked in map, missions doesn't have optional challenge, you need to be in proximity to pop sidequest/shop/location icon. Unlike Unity, I enjoyed my time going from one ? To another ? if only for the exploration part.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Wait I thought they were always developing "Osiris", so you mean ACO is the BF team building their game on the scraps of another team? That's great.
Nah. Osiris was supposed to be a new IP back when AC1 was in development, it got cancelled and everything was repurposed for AC1. The BF leads were just interested in Egypt by pure coincidence lol

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I like that Origins are doesn't prey on your OCD like previous AC. No more collectible, chest not marked in map, missions doesn't have optional challenge, you need to be in proximity to pop sidequest/shop/location icon. Unlike Unity, I enjoyed my time going from one ? To another ? if only for the exploration part.

The ? symbols are essentially collectibles and camps combined into one and there's heaps of them. The reward has changed from meaningless collectibles to usually meaningless loot. Sidequests and map areas are just OCD completionist nonsense in a slightly different form.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
The ? symbols are essentially collectibles and camps combined into one and there's heaps of them. The reward has changed from meaningless collectibles to usually meaningless loot. Sidequests and map areas are just OCD completionist nonsense in a slightly different form.

Like I said, at least the "collectible" are worth it if only for the exploration aspect (there are neat location and landmarks and some bandit camps are fun to infiltrate). The actual reward is useless I agree.

And personally I like doing the sidequests, they have "meat" this time with cutscenes (it blows my mind that 90% of sq have dedicated cutscenes), tons of dialogues and some are multilayered and some expand on the Egyptian culture. And for me, that's a good enough reward.

Edit : Another example is Destiny 2 Adventures. People dismiss them because they gives useless reward, I like them because they expand on the world and NPC, and some have cool mission design.

Just because an activity doesn't give useful items doesn't mean they are meaningless. Sure if you only cared about "loots" then all the ? in Origins no different than Unity.

Nah. Osiris was supposed to be a new IP back when AC1 was in development, it got cancelled and everything was repurposed for AC1. The BF leads were just interested in Egypt by pure coincidence lol

I posted this a while back, but in Unity's Helix introduction where they showed various "icons" representing different era (Chalice for AC1, Glider for AC2, American Flag for AC3, etc), the very first "icon" is Pharaoh face.

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Loot always has a use, if it's not stronger than what you currently have it can be dismantled for crafting materials, if you've fully maxed out all upgrades, (which does take time as the carbon crystals are essential and you typically only find them in larger & more difficult camps), then you can sell them for money for refills, outfits, upgrades, mounts, etc., never feels superfluous or meaningless imho.

Fate

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say the money felt pretty useless during my playthrough. I never had a need to spend money on anything and once I maxed all the upgrades out I didn't have a need for the endless loot either

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
I can already tell there will be quite a bit in this game left unseen by me. I'm mixing up side missions with story, that's all good.. But don' think it's viable to check every question mark etc. Atm just kinda check a place out if it piques my interest.

Anyhow : are the XP-gain abilities worth getting?

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
I can already tell there will be quite a bit in this game left unseen by me. I'm mixing up side missions with story, that's all good.. But don' think it's viable to check every question mark etc. Atm just kinda check a place out if it piques my interest.

I only have the headshot XP bonus, it gives bonus 5XP per headshot kill lol. So no, not worth it.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I posted this a while back, but in Unity's Helix introduction where they showed various "icons" representing different era (Chalice for AC1, Glider for AC2, American Flag for AC3, etc), the very first "icon" is Pharaoh face.
This one?
5p3pRaR.jpg

They help you level up faster. Even better is that you don't stop getting skill points when you hit the level cap.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Like I said, at least the "collectible" are worth it if only for the exploration aspect (there are neat location and landmarks and some bandit camps are fun to infiltrate). The actual reward is useless I agree.

And personally I like doing the sidequests, they have "meat" this time with cutscenes (it blows my mind that 90% of sq have dedicated cutscenes), tons of dialogues and some are multilayered and some expand on the Egyptian culture. And for me, that's a good enough reward.

Edit : Another example is Destiny 2 Adventures. People dismiss them because they gives useless reward, I like them because they expand on the world and NPC, and some have cool mission design.

Just because an activity doesn't give useful items doesn't mean they are meaningless. Sure if you only cared about "loots" then all the ? in Origins no different than Unity.

Some of them expand on the world. There might be a scroll with information or some context to how/why the area is important to the world. Sometimes it's literally just grab an item or kill some animals though.

I guess for me the world should be strong enough that I don't need a ? as incentive to explore. They're also tied to trophies so the OCD people definitely have to deal with them all anyway lol.

The sidequests are okay. The facial expressions seem really stilted in this entry, kind of takes me out of cutscenes.

Angel DvA

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn Bayek is such a great character, I really like him, I'm definitely in for a Bayek trilogy about him, do it Ubisoft!

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Some of them expand on the world. There might be a scroll with information or some context to how/why the area is important to the world. Sometimes it's literally just grab an item or kill some animals though.

I guess for me the world should be strong enough that I don't need a ? as incentive to explore. They're also tied to trophies so the OCD people definitely have to deal with them all anyway lol.

The sidequests are okay. The facial expressions seem really stilted in this entry, kind of takes me out of cutscenes.

You are right, I kinda dissapointed that the game doesn't have encyclopedia, that's the best part of Unity (lol), and like you said, I wish there are more "notes" lying around (like much much more) and yeah there are some dud location.

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
Actually the first Origins tease was in the AC2 collector's edition

id49dsibhj8udbftqmyr.jpg

Given that assassin is nameless, it might as well be Bayek alongside Senu.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Just finished the main quest. Very obviously rushed but I like the broad strokes of it, and found the conclusion bittersweet.
Though Aya and Bayek surely have a reconciliation of some kind, given that they're buried together? This game is really begging for a sequel that ties everything up.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
I so wish that there was some kind of encyclopedia.. It would immerse me in this game world a lot more.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017

id49dsibhj8udbftqmyr.jpg

At that point you might as well consider the "Eye of Horus" and the "Pyramids of Giza" drawings at the end of the original AC, the first tease.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

Oooooo nice catch. The game was most likely greenlit by that point as Ashraf was talking about taking on Egypt as early as December the year BF released.

id49dsibhj8udbftqmyr.jpg

That's fanart. Lowkey would've loved to get that as an outfit tho. Really cool coincidence tbch. Full image:
2141402-Assassin_by_Gabz.jpg

Last edited:

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they pick another 'exotic' setting for the next title, I think one of the reason people get burned on the series is because the last five main entries before Origins are sets in 18th-19th century europe/american colony, AC2 and Origins feels fresh because they are set in completely different cultures, era and settings.

Finger crossed, Ubi will pick ancient Asia lol.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I hope they pick another 'exotic' setting for the next title, I think one of the reason people get burned on the series is because the last five main entries before Origins are sets in 18th-19th century europe/american colony, AC2 and Origins feels fresh because they are set in completely different cultures, era and settings.

Finger crossed, Ubi will pick ancient Asia lol.
What's exciting is that the new climbing system and changes to the core gameplay and world design opened up a ton of possibilities when it comes to locations.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn Bayek is such a great character, I really like him, I'm definitely in for a Bayek trilogy about him, do it Ubisoft!

Agreed, im invested in his story because i admire him, fantastic Protagonist, easily my favourite of the year. Seeing him play with kids, the way his eyes light up around his wife, Ubi done a great job.

Love his accent too.

Oct 27, 2017
For the final assassination, I was hoping
Aya

would
Say it

when the deed was done, and when it did happen I got a smile on my face.

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
I first equipped a cursed weapon and was like "Nope!" and quickly unequipped it. I later actually tried one out and now it is the only way I roll. They hit like like a fucking freight train plus it adds a bit of challenge to some encounters which I like.
i'm thinking it's the spear i just got from killing one of the Phylakes, which would explain why it's so much stronger than my other weapons. by, like, a lot.

anyone else think the Phylakes are kind of this game's version of the nemesis system? i get a similar vibe whenever i run into one.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Welp, I decided to pull the trigger and order this from Best Buy today for $35. At that price, I probably won't regret the purchase too much of the game turns out disappointing for me. Honestly, I wasn't sure if I'd ever want to give the franchise another chance after Unity. It was just such a buggy, janky, bloated mess of a game, it didn't really feel like a major step forward for the franchise, and it was kinda the last straw for me (the franchise has been losing me slowly ever since it went annualized).

However, I've been watching gameplay for this, and I just want to give it a chance. Maybe it's the low price, maybe it's the drop dead gorgeous graphics, maybe it's the awesome Egyptian setting, or maybe it's just been long enough that I'm hungering for some AC again finally (haven't touched the series since Unity). Whatever the reason, I want to play this game. I'm hoping enough has changed/improved that I'll enjoy it this time.

One thing I'm curious about tho... What do y'all think of the new combat? I was shocked by how different it looked! The previous AC games kinda had combat similar to the Batman games (but way clunkier), while this seems to have Souls esque combat (but way clunkier). Is that an accurate description for it? Is it, like, good?

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
20 hours in, level 23 and only just left Alexandria. Am I going to be vastly overleveled?

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
30 hours in level 30 with 30% completion, loving the game, rarely hitting 60fps if ever at max setting on my 1080ti @ 4K but I'll take the performance hit, its just so beautiful.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, I decided to pull the trigger and order this from Best Buy today for $35. At that price, I probably won't regret the purchase too much of the game turns out disappointing for me. Honestly, I wasn't sure if I'd ever want to give the franchise another chance after Unity. It was just such a buggy, janky, bloated mess of a game, it didn't really feel like a major step forward for the franchise, and it was kinda the last straw for me (the franchise has been losing me slowly ever since it went annualized).

However, I've been watching gameplay for this, and I just want to give it a chance. Maybe it's the low price, maybe it's the drop dead gorgeous graphics, maybe it's the awesome Egyptian setting, or maybe it's just been long enough that I'm hungering for some AC again finally (haven't touched the series since Unity). Whatever the reason, I want to play this game. I'm hoping enough has changed/improved that I'll enjoy it this time.

One thing I'm curious about tho... What do y'all think of the new combat? I was shocked by how different it looked! The previous AC games kinda had combat similar to the Batman games (but way clunkier), while this seems to have Souls esque combat (but way clunkier). Is that an accurate description for it? Is it, like, good?

Souls and Zelda probably the closest comparison with the z-targeting, shield blocking, parry and dodging. The amount of weapon types (regular sword, sickle sword, heavy ax, heavy mace, spear, scepter, dual swords and predator bow, light bow, hunting bow, warrior bow) that plays differently actually reminds me of Dark Souls.

Not as slow as Souls, but not as fast as Nier Automata. It's clunky and animation is weird at first, but it grews on me and feels like it's one of the better open world combat especially after you unlock some of the combat moves.

Edit : I played Origins immediately after Unity, they are totally different. I think the only similarities are the parkour, the stealth (feels like the stealth is simpler than Unity though), the sidequests (but this time with accompanying cutscenes, muchhhhh better story/dialogue, and better objective).

Last edited: