• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Looks cool and all, but my god just call these games like Animus: Valhalla. Its just an insult considering these to be Assassins Creed games, really bums me out because it used to be my favorite series until they went Witcher Lite.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
I wonder if there will be any large cities that can be explored? Large cities were always more interesting to explore vs open fields to me in these games.

England at this time didn't have a ton of large cities since it's still the Dark Ages. The only one that will approach the scale of cities in the past two games will be Winchester unless they have a large city in the Norway portion.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
even if they make huge historical embellisments this will probably be the most "rural" asscreed ever

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't put my finger on it, but comparer to Origins and Odyssey, this just looks rushed and incomplete.

Or it could just be Ghost of Tsushima ruining my expectations for open world history games can look.

I think we need to really start expressing how extraordinary Sony's patience is...

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Interesting, appreciate the info!

The Last Kingdom on Netflix is a great historical document of the period!

Somewhat /s although it is more accurate than similar shows of its ilk. Valhalla is drawing heavily from it.

What's interesting about this time period is that it's post-apocalypse. The fall of the Roman Empire meant that civilization collapsed so you have all these little kingdoms fighting for survival until Alfred and his descendants unite England under Saxon rule.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Assassin's Creed Valhalla looks really terrible. Especially since it's designed for 30fps on next gen consoles. I didn't expect it to look this bad.
Gameplay looks boring as fuck. What a mess. Hard pass.

ΑGITΩ

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
If they wanted to excite me: tell me what isu tech they they hunting and if we are stuck with Layla again or someone else. Its really the only reason i play these games. And Desmond > Layla. Her story goes on in real time unlike his, so there is no growth, the last 2 games go on a real time skip that leaves several email readings to fill in gaps.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Assassin's Creed Valhalla looks really terrible. Especially since it's designed for 30fps on next gen consoles. I didn't expect it to look this bad.
Gameplay looks boring as fuck. What a mess. Hard pass.
The actual game will look a lot better than a poor quality video. Odyssey is still one of the best looking games on current gen.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Man I watched other video... It is not possible. It looks really good the graphics. Odissey is one of the best graphics from this gen(PC version) and this new one looks incredible.
Thanks God AC doesn't depend of Era to sell well. Greg Miller video about the game is really good too, game is incredible:

youtu.be

We Played Assassin's Creed: Valhalla! - First Impressions

Greg and Barrett talk about everything they loved and not-so-much loved from their hands-on demo with Assassin's Creed: Valhalla!Subscribe! http://www.youtub...

taepoppuri

Oct 29, 2017
That official footage somehow has worse quality than the press one...

I really like main character design, but those design didn't translate well into the game, even compare it to Odyssey early footage.

How they go from this
Man, those character models... Eivor looks really cool in the promo art, less so in the game

To this...
Man, that Eivor model really is trash. What happened?

fireshotcapture027-aszekxe.png

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Enemies properly reacting to every hit makes the combat look a lot more satisfying than origins and odyssey

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Looks cool and all, but my god just call these games like Animus: Valhalla. Its just an insult considering these to be Assassins Creed games, really bums me out because it used to be my favorite series until they went Witcher Lite.
Same here, I really wish they could recapture the intrigue of the first games with the present day timeline, I literally have no clue what the f the current present day timeline is about even though I finished Odyssey like two months ago, yet I know exactly everything that happened with Desmond and what they were trying to prevent. It's wishful thinking that they'll ever go back to that, at least there was a time when AC games had a bunch of unique elements compared to the games released at that time.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Looking good. Some of the previews on YouTube (like ACG's) have some great looking footage. Hope the PC port runs well.

Wahad

Oct 26, 2017
Many people= influencers/youtubers/streamers that wouldn´t say a negative thing to a preview from a big publisher at all because they don´t want to risk not getting any preview build copies anymore and are basically modern advertisers?
Yeah, but then where are those negative feedback then? Cant find it on the internet

Dablado

Jan 1, 2019
Yes, true, but everything else has gone on to betray that promise of a "blade in the crowd." Vikings aren't exactly know for their stealth skills.
While I think it makes sense after what, 12+ games (?), I agree. I think they should split the series into two. One for the "blade in the crowd" and one for these last three games. There are still a lot of locations left that would fit the gameplay of the first few games.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Game is going to sell, especially being a launch title. But boy does it look uninspired and nothing like an Assassin's Creed game. This straight up looks and like RPG-Brawler, something I'd never though I'd say about AC.

Needs a lot of polish as well.

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The raids look goofy. The abilities stuff from Odyssey totally needed a scrap or overhaul and I'm seeing the exact same shit here down to the poison effect...

I watched quite a few previews, and it looks really bad yeah. I have no idea what's going on here. Seems like they didn't improve anything over Odyssey.

Carpathia

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't like the dialogue scenes, the facial animation, the 3d models, the voice sync, everything looks so bad.... otherwise the game looks cool.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
Game looks fun as heck, and I hope the world is as fun to explore as it was in Origins and Odyssey.

However, I do worry about the repetitiveness of the activities, like raiding and assaults and whatnot.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Man I watched other video... It is not possible. It looks really good the graphics. Odissey is one of the best graphics from this gen(PC version) and this new one looks incredible.
Thanks God AC doesn't depend of Era to sell well. Greg Miller video about the game is really good too, game is incredible:

youtu.be

We Played Assassin's Creed: Valhalla! - First Impressions

Greg and Barrett talk about everything they loved and not-so-much loved from their hands-on demo with Assassin's Creed: Valhalla!Subscribe! http://www.youtub...
I watched the same video, and I think it looks good. I was initially on the fence, but the game looks interesting and the graphics are great.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Gameplay looks ok, general graphics are ok too (a bit disappointing for their final effort of this gen though) but man, the character models look like absolute crap. What the hell happened over there? I'm not crazy to think that Odyssey and Origins had way better models right? At least for the main characters.
Another thing I don't like is how enemies barely react to being hit. I guess seeing the numbers float is more important for some reason.

Overall, this game seems too by the numbers even by Ubi's standards. Will get it at a massive discount if at all.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
Are these the worst faces in a Ubisoft game in recent memory? I played Origins not too long ago and I swear the models look overall much better than this crap.

Oswald's face is lol worthy.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
That official footage somehow has worse quality than the press one...

I really like main character design, but those design didn't translate well into the game, even compare it to Odyssey early footage.

How they go from this

To this...

I really hope this this is indeed a work in progress, Kassandra set a high bar and to drop to this would be rough.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
England at this time didn't have a ton of large cities since it's still the Dark Ages. The only one that will approach the scale of cities in the past two games will be Winchester unless they have a large city in the Norway portion.
Lots of potential in Canterbury, York, and London too, being Roman cities. I think that's a good way for them to get around the large stone buildings issue (for parkour fun) and having them in various state of ruin would be fun for climbing too =)

Oct 27, 2017
I'll reserve judgement until release, but at the moment this looks bang average, like a reskin of Origins and Odyssey. Hard pass for now.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Are these the worst faces in a Ubisoft game in recent memory? I played Origins not too long ago and I swear the models look overall much better than this crap.

Oswald's face is lol worthy.
I would say yes, if the faces in Watch Dogs Legion weren't worse, sadly.

A step down from the ones in Watch Dogs 2, for example (but I get it, they're procedurally generated).

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This looks really fun. There's a bit of jank and some uneven asset quality here and there, but it's an enormous open world game made in 3 years, the last of which under a pandemic, and the game is not finished. I'm not worried about the quality at all. It's not quite the mindblowing next-gen experience people are craving for, but it was never gonna look like TLOU2 which was done in about twice the time and in a linear fashion.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Is this footage from pc built? Cuz the characters models looks worse than Odyssey to me unless I have bad memory. Very muddy and low res texture.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
in more ways than one. as the new 'assassin's creed - now 100% assassin free!' games continue to get progressively more tired, & tiresome, looking...
Nah, I enjoy these "new school"-Assassin`s Creed-games. It´s just the technical execution in the trailer that worries me.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

NGL they really need to split the series up. This is clearly trying to reincorporate elements of the old AC games and it's going to result in something that doesn't make you happy or me as a fan of the new series. That's frustrating.