• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is It Worth Getting A Series X If I have a PS5?

• Yes

Votes: 1,387 76.0%
  • No

Votes: 437 24.0%

• Total voters

LaytonWright

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Tbh i have both xbox is worth it for games pass, buying a lg c1 later this month.

Honestly Forza Horizon 5 is such a chill game for me now

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
probably easier getting series s and gamepass

I'm similar to OP. Have PS5 but most of my gaming is PC and also have Gamepass Ultimate for PC. Thinking about a Series S based on this article. Since it would be the third used device. Probably makes the most sense.
www.cnn.com

Xbox Series S holds its own vs. PS5 and Xbox Series X | CNN Underscored

The Xbox Series S is the best current value in console gaming, and holds its own against the PS5 and Xbox Series X in some key ways.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
It depends on the size of your TV and your preference for 4K gaming at the highest fidelity.

There's an incredible library of exclusive content on all consoles, so whether you choose a Series S or X depends on how much you value visuals.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
As stated in 10 pages if you have time go for it.
I feel like for my play style and with how much time I have a better strategy is to sub one month or another to GPU and play some games trough xCloud.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
If you have time to play a bunch of games and money for the console and gamepass? Sure.

If you like xbox first party games then sure.

Either one of those is a fair enough reason. Personally the only reason for me to own an xbox and gamepass as it stands is really third party games and indies on gamepass. Microsoft have maybe 2 or 3 first party games that I've actually enjoyed for more than a few hours since I got my one s, one x and then series s over the last 4 years. I have however spent untold amounts of time on indies and third party games I actually think are good and wouldn't have tried without gamepass letting me easily do so.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Yeah, if you're goal is consumption above all else I definitely see the value. I have the large movie collection as well, but for me owning those titles give me a larger attachment to them. Don't see the money spent as a waste unless I didn't actually enjoy them. However I do also subscribe to stuff like Netflix so I get my fix both ways. I feel like the way MS is positioning their service kind of makes Xbox the easiest ecosystem to get into, but also the easiest to walk away from because little investment is asked of the player.

Yeah I'm just one who just rarely enjoys replaying/rewatching/rereading things and any collector vibes I had when I was younger went away when I got older and got tired of packing things to move and didn't want clutter of shelves of movies etc. I was rarely ever going to touch just cluttering up my house since I get no joy from owning media any more. Part of it is also that I just don't watch many movies or shows anymore. My attention span is shit these days so I mostly just game as those hold my attention and watch some sports while playing Switch or messing around online on my iPad.

I do suppose service models are easier ecosystems to walk away from. Though moot for someone like me as I always sold off consoles when I moved on to the next gen, never kept a game collection as I've long just sold/traded games when done with them etc. So I've gone back and forth over generations on which platform was my main anyway.

In any case, services are the future. Physical games, movies etc. aren't going anywhere, but streaming will continue to grow and be the dominant way the average person consumes media while collecting physical media goes back to being more a hobbyist thing like it was before DVDs became huge for a long while (and CDs before the rise of spotify et al.). So content will be king and platform holders will have to find a way to keep enough compelling content coming to their service regularly to keep people subscribed all the time.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Their first part isn't just Forza/Halo anymore. They are set to be the kings of the WRPG. Starfield, Avowed, Fable, Outer Worlds 2, and ESVI. It's why I got an Xbox this year despite having a PS5 since launch.

Fair enough. Maybe when some of those actually launch it would be a no brainer console Buy, assuming the customer is into that genre.

We're a ways away from most of those, right? I'd be happy to be wrong.

Gho5tstar

Jan 16, 2021
VA
I have both..and i regret getting the ps5.. i literally never play it..i havent even bought the hideit mount for it because iknow im going to sell it

Realmatic1

Oct 27, 2017
So the ps5 is my main driver but I recently received a series s and have been using it more because of gamepass. The fact that I can play horizon and halo at launch using gamepass is making the S worth it. Plus, I was able to try GTA San Andreas on it makes it a true value. Gamepass is allowing me to catch up on Xbox games that I haven't played since I've only had PlayStation products.

it's true one console will not be active while using the other but if you're someone who likes variety, having both consoles is great for that as you get to enjoy Sonys and Microsoft's first party offerings.

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
That's interesting. I had the opposite experience. I got the series X first and the PS5 a few months later. Truth be told, I have rarely used the PS5 but use the series x almost daily. My son uses the PS5 so there's that. For multiplatform games series x almost always had the edge and then there's Gamepass. I can't argue with getting free exclusives. The current PS5 exclusives just aren't a draw for me but I look forward to some upcoming ones.
I didn't mean to say that the Series X was bad in any way. I just prefer PlayStation at the end of the day and with limited time to play games as is (which I think is the case for the majority of adults) I just didn't end up having much of a chance to jump into anything on Series X. When I wanted to game I defaulted to the PS5.

I can absolutely see the same thing happening the other way around for different people. Point being in the end, you're going to spend 90% of the time on a single machine.

tmac456

May 27, 2020
The real question is: is it worth keeping your PS5 after you get a Series X?

Don't really think that's even a question either. Seems like people are doubting the use of the PS5 because of the 2nd half of the year drought it has had. Next year is going to be outstanding. OP made the right call of owning both as long as you have the money to do so

May 15, 2019
Really comes down to if you have a PC or not. Even if you do the backwards compatibility stuff on Xbox is dope. Ninja Gaiden Black is better than any game on PS5. (No, Ninja Gaiden Sigma isn't a proper substitute)

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I got one solely for Game Pass. It's a better deal and offering than PS+. Plus, I don't have a PC.

May 31, 2021
Don't really think that's even a question either. Seems like people are doubting the use of the PS5 because of the 2nd half of the year drought it has had. Next year is going to be outstanding. OP made the right call of owning both as long as you have the money to do so
Right. Xbox just got 2 new exclusives worth playing in the past month. It was barren as hell on that side up until this point.

Sony will start picking up steam again in February.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
My gpu started shitting the last week, so I went out and bought another Series S. No regrets. No hassle. Game Pass is great.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Right. Xbox just got 2 new exclusives worth playing in the past month. It was barren as hell on that side up until this point.

Sony will start picking up steam again in February.
People like to limit the context to fit their opinion. Next gen consoles exclusive games for their first year is what it is, and not what some pretend it to be. And 2022 just seems to expand on what happened this year

OP
OP
Star-Lord

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Star-Lord
Preordered mine. XSX. Gave me a choice of bundling it with either a controller, or a $70+ game, or accessories. But I can decide when it arrives in store. But I think I'll go controller for the sweet coop possibilities.

I'll see you on my friends list in a few weeks!
Sweet awesome dude! I'm not surprised the deal ended after one day it was too good to pass up! And they said the same thing! Just the waiting game till I get the call!
I'm guessing you also have a PS5 as well?

ffframe

alt account
Banned
Nov 29, 2021
I use my XSX more than my PS5 but it's mainly because I use Game Pass to try out stuff I'd normally never buy. Been having a blast with Forza Horizon 5 lately, as one example. It really depends on what types of games you like and if you'd become a GP subscriber, in my opinion.

I have all of the PS5 exclusives but still find I'm not really playing it often. I probably would've waited if my entire D2 clan wasn't on PS5.

Gho5tstar

Jan 16, 2021
VA
This is me. And even more stupidly, i paid above RRP to a scalper [sigh]
Man I got a really good deal.. 3 extra controllers, digital version, and two pulse headsets for $600 all brand new.. it was sold by very bitter girlfriend that caught her boyfriend cheating..suppose to been a bday present.. i jumped on that deal head first lol

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have got an Xbox series X! Or At least the pre-order when the next shipment comes in…
I'm pumped!

Congrats. Now do this:

www.resetera.com

Does the 3 year of Xbox Gold upgrade to Game Pass still work? (update: yes but now at 3:2 conversion) Microsoft

UPDATE JULY 2023 I've never had a gamepass subscription. Microsoft allows you to upgrade your Gold Subscription to Game Pass Ultimate for $1. I remember that you used to be able to stack 3 years of Xbox Live gold and then do the $1 upgrade to get 3 years of Game Pass for $180 (or cheaper)...

and ascend

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
I owned most consoles and handhelds since the SNES including all PlayStations. I bought all of them at launch, I even imported the PS2 from Japan when it launched. I honestly can't remember a generation in which I played less on a Sony console in its first year than it's currently the case with PS5.

The thing barely gets playtime - so many annoying things about the console, not even compared to Series X but compared to PS4.

On the other hand the Series X is my favorite console in a long time. I'm subscribed to Game Pass and I just love the hardware and the features.

Mau

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to get a Series X but in my country they're even more elusive than the PS5.

b0uncyfr0

Apr 2, 2018
Gamepass's price shouldn't even be a factor. You can get 3 years of ultimate for 100 bucks. That's $2.7 a month. If you can buy a PS5, you can afford that.

Only debatable cost left is the console itself.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Is it worth getting an Xbox?
PC owner: No
PlayStation/Switch owner: Yes

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I get what you mean about Gamepass, but you pay for the service like anything else. Games aren't "free".

In a way they are, at least for a while, if you pay for multiplayer. You'll have to pay for Gold/Plus anyways to play online, but Gold can be converted to Game Pass one-to-one with the conversion trick.

So if you would pay for multiplayer anyways, on Xbox you'd get access to all the Game Pass games as a bonus for at least three years or even longer, depending on how long the system keeps working that way.

amialion

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I would say it's definitely worth it if you have time to play more than 1 game a month. I have a PS5 and bought an XSX with Gamepass (after skipping Xbox completely last gen) and I'm extremely happy I did. I've been splitting my time pretty equally between PS5 and Xbox, and Gamepass has allowed me to play and enjoy games I probably wouldn't have given a chance at full price (or any price in some cases).

OP
OP
Star-Lord

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Update:
Finally got my xbox seires x! First impression are a bit mixed but I know it's just an adjustment!

Pros:
Gamepass is looking pretty damn good / tried cloud and worked nice as well!
The consoles have a lot of setting and accessibility options
It's pretty smooth

Cons:
Don't love the controller, the analog sticks feel off to me compared to the ps5 controller
The UI is a bit overwhelming and not entirely user friendly, it took me over an hour to start to understand where everything is lol

Once again i'm excited but I still know PS5 will still be my main but for exclusives xbox will be a nice addition!

Rikster

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Jun 24, 2018
California
I have both with a good gaming rig and I enjoy all of them. But I wouldn't recommend it if you don't have very much time and you can't come up with multiple games that you'd like to play right away.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Do you also only use one subscription service for video? Choice is like the easiest concept to grasp.

10€ vs. 300€ is a pretty stark difference.

If all the streaming services had to rely on exclusives, and featured the same 3rd party content, you wouldn't need more than one either.

Personally, I sub to Netflix and Amazon. No need for HBO and Disney due to the lack of interesting content. The same can be said about Xbox. Disclaimer: I haven't bought a Bethesda game since 2015.

EDIT: Actually, 2014. Wolfenstein: TNO was the last, and a disappointment.

Last edited:

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
As a PS5 owner, I just purchased a Series X. My main motivation comes from being a long time Halo fan. Honestly though I did the same thing with Xbox One/Halo 5 and it collected dust for years, but I expect it to be a different story now with gamepass.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
I have both and... Series X is just the better "package"

-Smaller, quieter
-Gamepass
-Game preservation
-Backwards Compatibility
-Microsoft's overall attitude to it's community

Sony is gonna get by with it's legitimately great first party support (Returnal was my GotY and I just finished Ratchet and Clank) and just overall market dominance, but the Xbox truly feels like the "people's console" due to groundwork MS has laid over the past several years.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
What a wierd statement; loading times feel identical on both systems due to how fast they load, and Quick Resume gets you back in the game much faster which ironically gives the edge to Xbox. I'm not sure why you need to include the caveat that you always shut games down after playing as if to exclude that very prominent feature.

I usually have 8+ games in my Quick Resume queue and like many have said in this thread it's always disappointing when playing another system because my mind automatically expects it to be a thing everywhere and sadly it is not.

And I'm not sure why you had to cut the rest of the post away, and concentrate on that one thing.

I'm not familiar with game sharing on either platform, never had the reason to use it, but it sounds like it works better for a household of players.

For a single (gaming) person household it's a different matter. Much smaller file sizes, quicker loading (I always shut down games after playing), haptics, and activity cards to a lesser extent; all of them would persuade me to play everything on PS5, even if I had another option. And well, I can't stand asymmetrical stick position.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Cons:
Don't love the controller, the analog sticks feel off to me compared to the ps5 controller
The UI is a bit overwhelming and not entirely user friendly, it took me over an hour to start to understand where everything is lol

Once again i'm excited but I still know PS5 will still be my main but for exclusives xbox will be a nice addition!

Once you learn the UI it works very well and will make you question the ps5 UI.

Controller feels weird because you're used to the dualsense. If you play Xbox for a while then go back to ps5 it will feel just as weird.

Enjoy your Xbox, there is so much goodness waiting for you.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

The UI is a bit visually cluttered, but once you understand it it's actually pretty quick and easy to do most things. It's just a bit overwhelming at first because there's so much stuff on screen. Honestly, after a while you'll probably spend most of your time in the Quick Guide anyway (the one you bring up with the Xbox button).

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Got a series x last week and I'm glad I got it. It has much better backwards compatibility over the series S. It has an optical drive that the series S doesn't have. It has all of Microsoft's games (I'm tired of dealing with Microsoft ports on PC). It has the controller I like. It has cloud saves.

That last one, as it turns out, was extremely important over the last week as I lost all of my save data on my PS5. I'll be getting all third party games on the series x as a result.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Yes, if you are interested in the exclusive games coming and/or are interested in Gamepass. I saved a lot of money, even when just looking at third party games. I also discovered some new games I've never thought I'd like.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Best combo is PS5, XSS and Switch IMO

Honestly I think PC + Switch is looking like the best combination since the latter is getting both XGS and Sony games now, though PS5/XSS/Switch is a good alternative if you don't feel like dealing with PC gaming.

The real question is: is it worth keeping your PS5 after you get a Series X?

Of course it is. There will be plenty of compelling software for it. Now whether said software appeals to you personally is another matter.

In a way they are, at least for a while, if you pay for multiplayer. You'll have to pay for Gold/Plus anyways to play online, but Gold can be converted to Game Pass one-to-one with the conversion trick.

So if you would pay for multiplayer anyways, on Xbox you'd get access to all the Game Pass games as a bonus for at least three years or even longer, depending on how long the system keeps working that way.

This seems like a really weird round-about (and unnecessary) justification.

Game Pass costs money; only exceptions are if you got it free through some exploit like the Alienware fiasco or a promo. Otherwise, it's okay to admit that you have to pay for it -- it's a good value.

cfer50

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne Australia
I have a One X and PS5 combo and honestly this will tide me over likely into 2023. My intent was get onto PS5 at the start of the year and Series X for Black Friday, but i have such a backlog of games to play i'm not in a rush until im physically unable to play games on the One X

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
I've discovered game pass on Cloud. I was able to play Halo on my shit work PC with no graphics card. As a PS5 user I'll vote no. I'm not seeing a reason yet.