• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is It Worth Getting A Series X If I have a PS5?

• Yes

Votes: 1,387 76.0%
  • No

Votes: 437 24.0%

• Total voters

Stooge

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I have both and my PS5 is basically a sony first party + exclusives box.

The XSX is where I do 80% of my gaming - especially multiplats and with gamepass you'll basically only need to ever purchase games you really, really really want to play as there will be plenty of good games to fill out the rest of your free time.

Stooge

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It never made sense to me to own more than one console, no matter which one. But that's just me I guess.

The problem is if you want to play God of War (I do) and Starfall (I do). Been that way forever. There is certainly enough good games on any one console that it isn't necessary to own more than one, but if you want to pick up the cream of the crop titles you need all of them.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
I own both, and I don't have any regrets. I'd say yes.
Cool. Any issues with the trade-in? I'm considering going back and bringing in my PS4 Pro for another PS5, hard to pass up $450+.
$450 for the pro? Where is this? And how much could I get for my one x?
Wouldn't mind trading it in now, so I can use that money towards a mid gen refresh, or a gpu.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
It never made sense to me to own more than one console, no matter which one. But that's just me I guess.

The opposite is true for me. For me, I just pick which game I want to play and then load up the appropriate console. I'm not limited in the selection of games that I can play and in my experience, just about every system has a handful of exclusives that are worth playing.

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
Star-Lord
Preordered mine. XSX. Gave me a choice of bundling it with either a controller, or a $70+ game, or accessories. But I can decide when it arrives in store. But I think I'll go controller for the sweet coop possibilities.

I'll see you on my friends list in a few weeks!

breakfuss

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have got an Xbox series X! Or At least the pre-order when the next shipment comes in…
I'm pumped!
Nice. I think you'll end up loving it but worst case you can sell it (probably for more than you paid lol) if it's not for you. Impressed you were even able to acquire one that easily. Bookmark the Gamepass OT and Xbox OT. There's also a discord with era xbox folks. And here's a site to help navigate what's currently on GP (metascores, genre, departure dates etc). Coming from PS can be a little overwhelming at first but you quickly adapt. Now I switch between the two platforms with ease.

Last edited:

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Yes if you get Game Pass. No if you don't.

I was mainly a PS1, PS2, PS3, and PS4 gamer, and yet despite owning a PS5 my Series X is my daily driver and my PS5 gets used 2, max 3 times a week. The SX is great, but a lot of the value seriously comes from GP - even when comparing to PS Now's offerings.

edit:

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have got an Xbox series X! Or At least the pre-order when the next shipment comes in…
I'm pumped!

'grats!

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
If it were me I'd get a Xbox One S and just stream the really cool next gen games/gamepass games that have enhancements on them. if my understanding on how all that works is correct

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
I own both, and I don't have any regrets. I'd say yes.
$450 for the pro? Where is this? And how much could I get for my one x?
Wouldn't mind trading it in now, so I can use that money towards a mid gen refresh, or a gpu.
EB Games/Gamestop Canada. Promo is only this weekend and only for trading in PS4 consoles towards a next-gen pre-order.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I'm pumped!
Good for you, OP. I'm playing and loving Archvale via GP, and I wouldn't have played this without it. I've enjoyed many games that I wouldn't have played because of this service so make sure you sign up.
Star-Lord
Preordered mine. XSX. Gave me a choice of bundling it with either a controller, or a $70+ game, or accessories. But I can decide when it arrives in store. But I think I'll go controller for the sweet coop possibilities.

I'll see you on my friends list in a few weeks!
You will enjoy it because it's an amazing system. Quick Resume, auto HDR, good back compat library, and GP will have you hooked for months.

Last edited:

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
I have both, and they're both great consoles. My time with both consoles ebs and flows. I mainly play on Gamepass when I've finished the Sony/Nintendo exclusives I'm interested in. There periods where I don't use Gamepass at all. I don't feel guilty since I have Gamepass 'till 2023. When it lapses, I see myself subbing for periods of 1 or 2 months at a time around other releases.

I looove WRPG's though. Microsoft has so much promise in that field I had to buy a Series X anyway.

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, when you combine it with gamepass its crazy good if you just like to play random weird games you probably wouldn't buy but end up really enjoying. Hades, Dragon Quest XI-S, The Outer Wilds, Sea of Thieves, Ori and the Wisps, and a bunch more are games I may not have played without gamepass.

Plus Forza Horizon 5 + Halo Infinite is really great

I bought both at launch and probably play my xbox about 60% and my PS5 around 40%. I could do 90% xbox but i still prefer platinum trophies for single player games over 1000/1000GS.

Every 2 weeks there are like 4-5 new gamepass games, its honestly overwhelming. For years I've been playing fewer and fewer games as GAAS/MMOs/etc consumed more time but I've mostly abandoned that stuff now and really enjoy the variety of gamepass. I know it won't last forever, probably at some point it'll be a lot of shovelware but for now, its a S-tier buffet of new games every month.
You're telling the thruth. I have a switch, ps5 and xsx. If it weren't for my kids using the living room tv more than myself, I'd play xbox more than switch and ps5 combined because the huge volume of great gamepass games.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I have both and not missing out on great exclusives is the way.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who actually has both consoles since day 1, yes you should absolutely have both if you have the means. The machine's compliment each other easily. I buy most if not all of my 3rd party software on my Xbox for BC reasons, gamesharing, with my wife's series s, vrr compatibility with my tv,etc. The ps5 is reserved for exclusives only and the occasional ps+ title

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Dude!
ur gettn a dell

But seriously game pass is amazing. It's mandatory to have it. Game on.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
If it were me I'd get a Xbox One S and just stream the really cool next gen games/gamepass games that have enhancements on them. if my understanding on how all that works is correct

You'd be mad to get an Xbox One S in 2021. It's the same RRP as the Series S. Get the next gen console instead.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
Last gen I would've said no.

But this gen Xbox is shaping up to have a terrific gen. Great games on the horizon!

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
PS5 is my blockbuster and arthouse game console, I always know ill get some crazy games like Death Stranding, Returnal and little projects like the one with Radiohead. And I always go physical over digital if I have the chance.

Series X is like my nostalgia box, thats where I go play older games with its fantastic BC but also play its new gen versions like the new Halos, Fables, Elder Scrolls, Gears. And I will never go physical except for Halo and Fable... the rest is GamePass.

maxx720

Nov 7, 2017
If the money doesn't matter then 100% go for the X but the libraries have so much cross over that's its kinda pointless.

I had both at launch and legit didn't turn on the Series X for months before deciding it wasn't for me and sold it.

if you don't mind your consoles sitting for months at a time and the money doesn't matter then why not? But I just found myself spending more time on one while the other gathered dust.
That's interesting. I had the opposite experience. I got the series X first and the PS5 a few months later. Truth be told, I have rarely used the PS5 but use the series x almost daily. My son uses the PS5 so there's that. For multiplatform games series x almost always had the edge and then there's Gamepass. I can't argue with getting free exclusives. The current PS5 exclusives just aren't a draw for me but I look forward to some upcoming ones.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
quicker loading (I always shut down games after playing)

What a wierd statement; loading times feel identical on both systems due to how fast they load, and Quick Resume gets you back in the game much faster which ironically gives the edge to Xbox. I'm not sure why you need to include the caveat that you always shut games down after playing as if to exclude that very prominent feature.

I usually have 8+ games in my Quick Resume queue and like many have said in this thread it's always disappointing when playing another system because my mind automatically expects it to be a thing everywhere and sadly it is not.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
OP, I have both and I voted no. Unless you have MP friends on Xbox with no crossplay option. Or you're a massive Halo/Forza fan. Otherwise, nope.

May 14, 2021
The real question is: is it worth keeping your PS5 after you get a Series X?
This was never a doubt for me because there will be PS5 exclusives I'll want to play, but what I didn't expect was for my X to takeover as my main. The fact that it remains silent no matter how intense the game is and my PS5 is audible pretty much any time a game is being played, and even louder during intense games, is what makes me use the X daily and I haven't touched my PS5 since finishing Returnal. Also Quick Resume is a literal and figurative game changer. No amount of quick loading can match what it does.

elproducto

Oct 31, 2017
I have both and they both have their place imho. My XSX gets more use but mainly due to Gamepass and easier cross play with PC buddies.

PS5 is for exclusives and stuff with really good dualsense implementation.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
OP, I have both and I voted no. Unless you have MP friends on Xbox with no crossplay option. Or you're a massive Halo/Forza fan. Otherwise, nope.
Their first part isn't just Forza/Halo anymore. They are set to be the kings of the WRPG. Starfield, Avowed, Fable, Outer Worlds 2, and ESVI. It's why I got an Xbox this year despite having a PS5 since launch.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
This was never a doubt for me because there will be PS5 exclusives I'll want to play, but what I didn't expect was for my X to takeover as my main. The fact that it remains silent no matter how intense the game is and my PS5 is audible pretty much any time a game is being played, and even louder during intense games, is what makes me use the X daily and I haven't touched my PS5 since finishing Returnal. Also Quick Resume is a literal and figurative game changer. No amount of quick loading can match what it does.

Mostly the same for me, but I kind of knew there was a good chance XSX would end up my main. 360 was my main two gens ago before the bad Xbox One reveal and launch had me get a PS4 first and end up with that as my main as the X1 exclusive library never did much for me last gen. But I've always preferred the Xbox controller layout and knew from having a gaming PC last gen that Gamepass was great for my needs as someone who doesn't care about owning media anymore. Add in the features like quick resume, having a bit more storage space, being quieter etc. and it's gotten a ton more usage than my PS5.

Like you, I'd never skip a PlayStation console though as my game of the generation lists are always full of Sony (and Nintendo for that matter) exclusives.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
That's interesting. I had the opposite experience. I got the series X first and the PS5 a few months later. Truth be told, I have rarely used the PS5 but use the series x almost daily. My son uses the PS5 so there's that. For multiplatform games series x almost always had the edge and then there's Gamepass. I can't argue with getting free exclusives. The current PS5 exclusives just aren't a draw for me but I look forward to some upcoming ones.

For me I have a preference for multiplatform games on the PS5 if there are DualSense enhancements. It's rare for me to notice the visual differences that usually require 400% zoom to see. I get what you mean about Gamepass, but you pay for the service like anything else. Games aren't "free".

Klaw

Nov 16, 2017
France
In a year, I have saved a lot more than 500$ of games thanks to GP.
So if you play a lot, and day one indies/MS games are yout thing, it's definitely worth it.

jj70

Oct 27, 2017
My experience: last year I've decided that as Halo was not coming on the shelves, I did not buy the Series X and waited for an Halo version. This year I've changed my mind a little than again and the limited console was almost gone. Except that MS re-stock it and I was able to order one and I'm going to turn it on tomorrow preloading the game. I was able to buy also a Halo Elite 2 joypad that will replace my Elite 1. Hope everything goes fine with both of them...
Menawhile, I've bought a 2TB SSD to increase memory as next year will be a crowded year for PS5 and VR2 exclusive-side ...

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
For me I have a preference for multiplatform games on the PS5 if there are DualSense enhancements. It's rare for me to notice the visual differences that usually require 400% zoom to see. I get what you mean about Gamepass, but you pay for the service like anything else. Games aren't "free".

For me I've yet to be wowed by the Dualsense features. They're neat at best, but I end up not noticing it much after a bit and would rather play most games with my Xbox Elite controller with the paddles.

Gamepass of course isn't free, but it's a great, cheap way to consume games as someone who rarely replays and doesn't care to own/collect games. Way less hassle than buying physical and selling after I'm done. Owning media is just pointless for someone like me, as my few hundred DVDs/BRs that got put in binders and stuck in a closet a few years back can attest. I haven't yet once unzipped those binders. So much money wasted in my younger, dumber days when I didn't realize I was almost never watching anything a second time—meaning a lot of discs of things I saw in theaters have never been played once. SMH.

May 14, 2021
Mostly the same for me, but I kind of knew there was a good chance XSX would end up my main. 360 was my main two gens ago before the bad Xbox One reveal and launch had me get a PS4 first and end up with that as my main as the X1 exclusive library never did much for me last gen. But I've always preferred the Xbox controller layout and knew from having a gaming PC last gen that Gamepass was great for my needs as someone who doesn't care about owning media anymore. Add in the features like quick resume, having a bit more storage space, being quieter etc. and it's gotten a ton more usage than my PS5.

Like you, I'd never skip a PlayStation console though as my game of the generation lists are always full of Sony (and Nintendo for that matter) exclusives.
That's almost exactly my scenario. I left Xbox after the disastrous XB1 launch despite the 360 being a far better console to me than the PS3, and they didn't have the exclusives or incentives to get me to overlook all the flaws in the XB1. Things definitely changed this gen though. They have a boatload of interesting exclusives, the best service in Game Pass, and imo the best feature with Game Pass. I too prefer the XB controller, especially with the rubberized grips.

Bishop76

Oct 30, 2017
Absolutely Yes. Ps5 Day1 owner, and I've bought Series X since two months.
Right now I am playing more on my Xbox than PS, thanks to gamepass and the incredible game that is Forza Horizon 5.

maxx720

Nov 7, 2017
True enough. The games aren't free but with the discounts I use for extending my Gamepass membership to get day one games such as Forza, Halo, etc it just makes a lot of economic sense. I've saved a ton since getting Gamepass and looking forward to the Playstation variant. I also have an OLED with VRR so that also is a boon on the Xbox side of things. Last Gen, prior to the One X release my primary for multiplats was the PS4 and PS4 Pro due to the superiority of the hardware at the time.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
For me I've yet to be wowed by the Dualsense features. They're neat at best, but I end up not noticing it much after a bit and would rather play most games with my Xbox Elite controller with the paddles.

Gamepass of course isn't free, but it's a great, cheap way to consume games as someone who rarely replays and doesn't care to own/collect games. Way less hassle than buying physical and selling after I'm done. Owning media is just pointless for someone like me, as my few hundred DVDs/BRs that got put in binders and stuck in a closet a few years back can attest. I haven't yet once unzipped those binders. So much money wasted in my younger, dumber days when I didn't realize I was almost never watching anything a second time—meaning a lot of discs of things I saw in theaters have never been played once. SMH.

Yeah, if you're goal is consumption above all else I definitely see the value. I have the large movie collection as well, but for me owning those titles give me a larger attachment to them. Don't see the money spent as a waste unless I didn't actually enjoy them. However I do also subscribe to stuff like Netflix so I get my fix both ways. I feel like the way MS is positioning their service kind of makes Xbox the easiest ecosystem to get into, but also the easiest to walk away from because little investment is asked of the player.