• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Read Only Memory's book, 500 years later, an oral history of FF VII, is delayed, as production will start soon, shipping will begin on august 20th.

fyl_15.jpg

https://readonlymemory.vg/shop/book/500-years-later/

As usual with gaming books, a 2 months mandatory delay !
I backed for special edition. I'm really, really excited. I read Matt's entire article the day it went up on Polygon and in a world of quick write ups and news stories, it really stood out. The art content looks fantastic as well.

Really looking forward to it (even with the 2 month delay). Never bought anything from ROM before, but they seem like they really care a lot about the quality of what they produce.

synic

Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I was wondering about the Splatoon art book. Specifically, I see there are 3 on amazon:

1. The Art of Splatoon
2. Splatoon Ikasu Art Book (which I believe is the original Japanese release of the first book)
3. Splatoon 2 Ikasu Art Book

Should I get the original Japanese or the English version of the first one? Is there any difference besides the language? Also, is the 2nd book any good?

Deleted member 6436

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering about the Splatoon art book. Specifically, I see there are 3 on amazon:

1. The Art of Splatoon
2. Splatoon Ikasu Art Book (which I believe is the original Japanese release of the first book)
3. Splatoon 2 Ikasu Art Book

Should I get the original Japanese or the English version of the first one? Is there any difference besides the language? Also, is the 2nd book any good?

I have all three. English version of the first book is hardcover and has a few additional pages. Japanese is softcover.

2nd book is absolutely worth it. There's tons of unused concept art in there for maps and characters.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Picked this up while in Japan recently (forgive the image size, not my pic):

shigenori-soejima-pstudio-art-unit-art-works-20102017-556431.7.jpg

I do find it quite odd that some of the images are over 2 pages this way but only a 1/4, 1/5 of the second page is used. Is this a common thing in JP art books? It's not something i've seen in my limited collection.

Other than that oddity, its got some great art for fans of Persona games.
I almost picked this up at a local shop but to be perfectly honest, Futaba being on the cover made me decide against it. It looked like a nice release though.

My most recent gaming art book is the Shadows of Valentia book, which is pretty good, but not as good as the Awakening one.

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017
I almost picked this up at a local shop but to be perfectly honest, Futaba being on the cover made me decide against it. It looked like a nice release though.

My most recent gaming art book is the Shadows of Valentia book, which is pretty good, but not as good as the Awakening one.

The futaba cover is the only piece of original art for this bool so the rest is from the games and promo of the games. Really nice art inside.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Just got shipping confirmation on the the new Zelda Encyclopedia arriving tmrw. Forgot I pre-ordered it last year.

Any impressions or reviews yet? I got the LE gold cart version, but I kind of hate that it won't have consistency with the other two books on the shelf.

hopper7

Oct 27, 2017
Just got shipping confirmation on the the new Zelda Encyclopedia arriving tmrw. Forgot I pre-ordered it last year.

Any impressions or reviews yet? I got the LE gold cart version, but I kind of hate that it won't have consistency with the other two books on the shelf.
I got mine this past Saturday, I was expecting it later this week since I imported, but I'm not complaining.
Anyway not a review since I only had time to skim through it, but at first glance it is huuuuuge in content, basically everything you'll need to know about the series (sans BoTW).

It's divided in three sections:
Historical Records - With lore about the legends and myths, culture, locations, races and languages, etc.
Database - Dungeons and every item and enemy/monster, each with its description and art/sprite or in-game model.
Archives - divided by entry, with plot, character descriptions (and their relation with other characters in game), developer notes and sketches, some locations layout, promo art, etc. they even touch on easter eggs and guests appearances in other games.
And finally an interview with Aounuma.

I'm really not doing it any justice here, but seriously I think this it'll be my favorite one out of the three.

Puck

Oct 25, 2017
I just received the Zelda Encyclopedia to complete the RGB triforce.

Just from skimming through it, my initial impression is that it focuses a lot on individual items, dungeons and characters than the previous books, with lots of in-game sprites/screenshots paired with descriptive text.

In order of More Art -> More Text:

Arts and Artifacts is full of large, full page art pieces, from concept art to finished illustrations, with almost no text at all. This is purely an art book.
Hyrule Historia contains smaller art pieces and lots of descriptive text, with some sections throughout focusing on the concept art. Lots of nice art balanced with lots of Zelda information and lore.
Encyclopedia is even more text and description heavy than Hyrule Historia. It's still full of smaller art pieces, but this book is more focused on the nitty gritty of Zelda information and lore.

Here are some quick photos to give an idea of the contents, sorry about the poor quality.
SOrI9UH.jpg
v9B2hmF.jpg
nm2rAIF.jpg
nAs81Ar.jpg

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for bumping this! Subscribed!

I love Darkhorse for the quality of the artbooks they release. I currently own the one for Rick and Morty (with a cool cover that glows in the dark!), TLOU and finally the best i own is the witcher 3: Gwent, that's incredible. So many pages, so colourful, mostly all the important characters. I love it.

I really wish i could have the original TW3 artbook and the skyrim one, but nobody has them :(

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Got the Zelda Encyclopedia as well. There is very little art in the book - I don't really know why I thought there would be, but that was kind of a bummer. But the book is really fantastic for what it is.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Got my Zelda Encyclopedia today and it's pretty great. I'm a big Zelda fan and there's stull lots of stuff I either didn't know or hadn't figured out yet.

The Zelda books from DH in general have been pretty excellent for me.

syth

Oct 25, 2017
Sweet! I didn't even know there was an Encyclopedia on the way, but thanks to this thread i've just put in an order for it :) it will sit nicely next to the other two.

thanks!

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Guys, thanks, I've just ordered the Zelda book... This is what happens. Collective hype haha.

(also convinced a work mate to buy it too)

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
Got the Deluxe edition of the Zelda Encyclopedia(blue one too) and they are immaculate.

The deluxe version was packed inside its own box within the box. It came with an instruction manual. The sleeve and book have the same texture as the game and it's sleeve. The quality here is really outstanding.

Amazing book to add to the collection. Today the final volume of the Kingdom Adventures for SMO came in too. Cappy is complete.

Last edited:
OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Yo everybody, get on the Zelda hype

Zelda Encyclopedia Delux is down to $47,99 on Amazon (328 pages, 40% off) and standard is $23,99

Villori

Oct 28, 2017
I forgot I pre-ordered the Zelda Encyclopedia last year and now it's on its way, oh well. It will arrive on July 2nd due to it shipping internationally but looking at how everybody is loving it, I am not regretting not cancelling this :D

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
I've only just had the chance to look through the God of War art book, its great, a good amount of effort has been put into making it. I've taken a few photos of it just for you guys, if you've not decided yet. I'll be uploading some of the Zelda one later on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Third Edition's books are up on Amazon if you missed the English Kickstarter :

These are analysis books, not artbooks. I highly recommend them, I have multiples original french versions and these are amazingly insightful

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
What do they go in depth with?

development history, team pedigree and critical analysis of the works : influences, visions, goals, subtexts & themes, metaphors...

These are basically literature book studies but on games. If you are really into a creator's work and/or a series, these books are great to go further into the details and grasp better knowledge or comprehension behind all the details you could have missed or glossed over.

slinch

Jan 20, 2018
Man, I'd love to get that Fumito Ueda book, but the translation for that abstract on the amazon listing is extremely poor. Will wait to see if the actual book translation is any better.

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
(ps, do you guys like me uploading photos like these?)

Your pictures are very good, it's making books I have 0 interest for (never played any Zelda) looks like must have, simply because they are good looking books.

Also, I think good pictures are always welcome here, as they can give a more real look at a book than the pdf preview or publishers packshots

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Your pictures are very good, it's making books I have 0 interest for (never played any Zelda) looks like must have, simply because they are good looking books.

Also, I think good pictures are always welcome here, as they can give a more real look at a book than the pdf preview or publishers packshots

Okay great, I'll keep em coming when I get new books! Yeah the Zelda one surprised me with its quality. Which is the reason I got it, as ive only even played like 2 Zelda's.

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
I know IOI released a short Collector's Edition art book for Hitman 2016 , but I'm surprised they haven't done any digital or hard/paperback art books. There's a massive treasure trove of concept and development art from past titles.

slinch

Jan 20, 2018
I finally picked this up after years of looking for it, importing from US would be insanely expensive just for the shipping alone, the only place in EU that sold it was out of stock for years now, until a week ago that is.

YSWChIx.jpg

u8QvXyL.jpg

vdYLH11.jpg

F4lRZBp.jpg

Also crossed this one off my wishlist while at it, not gaming related, but an incredible piece none the less.

F1is3Es.jpg

OlspByD.jpg

IHexUdq.jpg

ENmLTa9.jpg

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I finally picked this up after years of looking for it, importing from US would be insanely expensive just for the shipping alone, the only place in EU that sold it was out of stock for years now, until a week ago that is.

YSWChIx.jpg

u8QvXyL.jpg

vdYLH11.jpg

F4lRZBp.jpg

Also crossed this one off my wishlist while at it, not gaming related, but an incredible piece none the less.

F1is3Es.jpg

OlspByD.jpg

IHexUdq.jpg

ENmLTa9.jpg

That Tomb Raider book is rather rare. I got it a couple of years ago, must have been the most expensive i ever paid out of my 100+ Video game books collection

slinch

Jan 20, 2018
Slinch from where did you get those?

Forbidden Planet in UK. The TR set was sold out for ages, but I've been talking with the author a few months back and he told me he dropped off something like 40 copies with some other stuff to be shipped overseas to FP, and they finally got them in a week or two back. It's also available on Dreams & Vision if your in the US. Honestly, the current price is a steal for the content you get. It's a bit light on text, but lavish with artwork.

Nov 30, 2017
Thanks for your post Slinch. As soon as I saw the pics of that TR book I googled it and ordered a copy from FP. I'm not the biggest TR fan - adored the original, enjoyed Anniversary and Underworld, can't stand the current rebooted series - but I had to have that book.

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Forbidden Planet in UK. The TR set was sold out for ages, but I've been talking with the author a few months back and he told me he dropped off something like 40 copies with some other stuff to be shipped overseas to FP, and they finally got them in a week or two back. It's also available on Dreams & Vision if your in the US. Honestly, the current price is a steal for the content you get. It's a bit light on text, but lavish with artwork.

Oh wow Forbidden Planet charges 18 pounds for EU shipping. That's just way too much. Thanks though