• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Well, yes that would suck, but I imagine that's not the case for the majority of people on this forum. Obviously I'm not saying that China is perfect, but I cant imagine what they could and would do with my personal data that the US government couldn't do.

Well let's say you had a job at an company that China wanted data from. They could blackmail you via backdoor to do so.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
you don't understand the chinese experiment. its pure autocracy...it's never been a democracy.. there is but one party. and holding elections in china is purely symbolic. they are taking the autocracy thing as far as they can to prove its a more successful model than complete* freedom we have in the US.

I don't agree with it, but i'm not gonna act like china is something out of 1984.

Explain to me how a Government run program that completely controls people's ability to get loans, get jobs, find housing, get into school, and just generally function-based on their "social credit"—isn't a dystopian nightmare.

The fundamental flaw with that program btw, is that they only way to build social credit is by reporting wrongdoing—such things as turning in Christians and people who disagree with the governments decisions—so people are incentivized to lie and snitch on their neighbors. To build social credit and advance, people will do anything. It's incentivizing people to lie really.

Oct 27, 2017
This probably isn't as good of s point as you think considering the US and its policy of tearing families apart and forcing babies into what are essentially prison camps.
You know it's ok to be against both, right? And the nice thing in the US is if you're against what the current government is doing, you can vote them out. Try that in China. But don't let that stop your "both sides" bullshit argument.

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is good news. Apparently it's totally cool when the PRC blatently steals IP, bans most western technology services and requires "technology transfers," but it's TERRIBLY UNJUST when other countries try to punish them for it. Won't somebody think of the totalitarian police state? I need my cheap phones!

rK0CkQN.png

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This probably isn't as good of s point as you think considering the US and its policy of tearing families apart and forcing babies into what are essentially prison camps.

Imagine living in 2019 and trying to spin literal gulags, colonialism, and ethnic extermination are okay because of the US border crisis.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
And there's the whataboutism, which fails anyway because despite me thinking this piece of immigration policy is vile, they aren't putting their own citizens into reeducation camps.

I don't understand, are you suggesting that makes it better than what China is doing?

And I'd bring up the Homan Square but let's leave that for another time.

And it's not whataboutism, why constantly bring up what China is doing and ignore similar things the US has done and continues to do?

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Its the truth, there many reasons China beats everyone in manufacturing, including companies sharing where they get their supplies to be a le to get better prices.

Xiaomi and Huawei are selling better phones at a fraction of the prices that Apple, yet people are cheering At Huawei stopping being a competitor.

You can buy a stolen game console off a truck in a back alley cheaper than you can buy one at a store. Doesn't mean it's good for the economy overall.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine living in 2019 and trying to spin literal gulags, colonialism, and ethnic extermination are okay because of the US border crisis.

All things the US is guilty of in its own borders as well as abroad.

And was it a border crisis before Trump decided to start tearing families apart? I don't recall much of a crisis during the Obama years.

Feb 3, 2018
Well, if there really are concerns of privacy with Huawei, the US can prevent their equipment from being used in 5G (Already done, it's very protectionistic and unjustified but OK) or even prevent Huawei phones from being sold in the US. (Even more unjustified, but whatever)
What is a frontal attack on market freedom is preventing all American companies from doing any business with Huawei, just like that, overnight, because of a whim of the Trumpturd.

No matter how people spin it, this is war on international trade, and it's hurting American companies as much as it does Chinese ones, and creating huge collateral damage on top of that.

Sure it will for a time but the market will rebound as it does and honestly seeing folks defend Huawei while at the same time criticizing Amazon is hypocrisy at it's finest.

Amazon is also a shit company but unlike Huawei they are not under investigation for industrial espionage in several countries Huawei can't be trusted.

The biggest threat to the free market is giant conglomerates and Huawei is one that has engaged in illegal activities and are supported by a authoritarian regime and no Apple is not supported by an authoritarian regime no matter how much you hate them (and I understand if you do),

The reality is that China has global trade by the balls and the question has come for us to ask if that is really such a good idea.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand, are you suggesting that makes it better than what China is doing?

And I'd bring up the Homan Square but let's leave that for another time.

And it's not whataboutism, why constantly bring up what China is doing and ignore similar things the US has done and continues to do?
I mean they are not really comparable in their scale at all. Also journalists and lawyers have gotten access to some of the US detainment center and have published extensive articles on them. How many journalists and lawyers have been able to visit the Chinese camps?

Edit: I should add that the US did some horrible things and was never held accountable for any of it. But I would hope people would recognize just because some got away with it doesn't mean others should as well.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
It's kind of funny actually. I was at a town hall meeting for work last Thursday, and during the Q&A segment someone asked about if the company would stop doing business with Huawei given their current controversy. Watching our head of operations shuffle around the question was kind of entertaining—basically that he "couldn't comment on geopolitics". Especially when I check my work email Saturday and saw they were announcing we would no longer be doing business with Huawei and HiSilicon.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
You can buy a stolen game console off a truck in a back alley cheaper than you can buy one at a store. Doesn't mean it's good for the economy overall.
Stealing isnt the same here.

Its more of a forntnite scenario where it came last, took the ideas from other games, made a more polished game free and destroyed everyone else.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
All things the US is guilty of in its own borders as well as abroad.

And was it a border crisis before Trump decided to start tearing families apart? I don't recall much of a crisis during the Obama years.

You weren't paying attention if you didn't hear about the migrant children crisis during the Obama years as it was going on.

At this point, just own up to all the whataboutism you've posted here.

Sykdom

Banned
Feb 12, 2019
California
Don't criticize China or its companies guys its sinophobia even though they are taking the steps to commit genocide to their uighur population.

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
Apple really doesn't represent US the way people think it does. It employ tons of people in China, sells mostly to develop counties and has zero market share in India and only 10% in China. It just stash its money in Ireland and waste it on DOA streaming service. Shutting down Apple operations in China doesn't really hurt US that much. Cancelling future Boeing contracts would hurt much more. I can also see tons of regulatory fines on Ford/GM in China.

In case you didn't get the memo, it's not trade war now, it's full on Neo Cold War.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
Trump playing with matches and progressives clapping rhythm. What a travesty. I hope China doesn't feel too cornered, since it could lead to some really bad things. You can shut them out of ISS, but trying to do so with world trade is madness.They're not going to acquiesce to gunboat diplomacy anymore, they're going to shoot the gunboats right out of the water and that's a recipe for disaster.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont

Its more of a forntnite scenario where it came last, took the ideas from other games, made a more polished game free and destroyed everyone else.

It's easy to offer good deals when you don't need to pay for R&D. I don't think you realize how much money is spent developing a lot of the tech that goes into smartphones. As someone who works in semiconductor manufacturing, I can tell you some of these companies spend billions a year to stay on the cutting edge. For Huawei to avoid any real investment costs, it inherently gives them a massive advantage.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
The last 2 days on this board have been interesting. The whataboutism is strong indeed.

However I am not sure I like this move too much. American companies do have a good amount of business in China and that could hurt the economy. On the other have, China has been stealing for years and they are using Huawei's tech for spying purposes. This move could put the hurt on them so badly.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's easy to offer good deals when you don't need to pay for R&D. I don't think you realize how much money is spent developing a lot of the tech that goes into smartphones. As someone who works in semiconductor manufacturing, I can tell you some of these companies spend billions a year to stay on the cutting edge. For Huawei to avoid any real investment costs, it inherently gives them a massive advantage.
I'm telling you it's cool if everybody stealing
Everybody steals
No need to R&D anymore
Nobody R&Ds
???
Profit !

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

This must be a joke. China has stolen technology, IP, and manufacturing processes for years and unfairly enjoyed the protection of the Chinese government to protect themselves from reprocussions.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not defending this, but they could have done something much worse... mass exidus, constant persecution... whatever it takes to make they assimilate for fear of muslim radicalism.

I don't agree with the camps, but china made an executive decision for the long term health of the country. They are trying to make them assimalite and when they make their way out of the camp, china has put in place a lot of structures to make sure their boats also elivate in the rising tide.

Holy shit this is something a character from Black Mirror would say.

Every defense of the PRC I've read in this thread has been a whataboutism at best and fascistic drivel like this at worst.

I mean, does anybody who lives in the West realistically think China can do anything with data from their cell phones? The US government has more incentive to use data from its citizens to manipulate/control them. I dont give a shit if China wants to spend the man hours to translate what I type into search engines. They cant do anything with it anyway.

I don't need to realistically think anything actually, this isn't speculative fiction driven by unsubstantiated "yellow peril" xenophobia. China is actively doing things with data they're collecting from private citizens TODAY that is both incredibly invasive and highly authoritarian. There is a wealth of reporting on this from foreign watchdogs and nothing anyone has said in this thread or the others on Huawei/PRC has refuted these criticisms.

I'm not going to excuse the missteps the US government has taken against its private citizens since 9/11 but I've never once feared that criticizing my own government would get me disappeared or placed into one of China's lovely re-education camps. That is a monumental difference between how privacy is handled between these two countries that many bad faith posters in this thread are consciously choosing to ignore.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Nah, it's fine, you only kill people around the world per remote control.

Newflash, two things can be bad but one can be actively worse. The us killed hundreds of thousands in the Iraq war and the drone program is a horrible mistake.

That wrong doesn't absolve anything china has done.

Is there a reason why the US should accept spying by Chinese companies on behalf of the Chinese government.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017

I really dont have good way of knowing, but I'm pretty ure the price difference between my P20 pro and an Iphone X isnt because of R&D, specially considering the camera in the Huawei phone is better (and the reason most people are buying Huawei) isnt stolen since its better than the competition.

I'm telling you it's cool if everybody stealing
Everybody steals
No need to R&D anymore
Nobody R&Ds
???
Profit !
ook at the crsis with HIV medication to see what happens when you value IP protection over consumers.

In manufacturing you dont need to reinvent the wheel if someone else aready did it, you just make a better product with a better process.
Chinese manufacturers COMPETITORS share info between them so they can improve their production process, suppliers prices, etc... and they al become prome competitive but still earn their customers by offering better support.

R&D will always be done in the tech industry, its jsut that just being the first at something isnt enough, you should also be BETTER to justify your price and product.

There's a reason we keep buying games but we dont buy the chinese copies, its because of quality.

Last edited:

dudefriend

Banned
Apr 27, 2019
Who are these people who can say that they'd rather be spied on by china than the US? I know the US is the great satan to many posters on Era but we we're not actively half of the way toward 1984.
try being black or undocumented in the US. to say nothing of the fact that we're rapidly becoming a one-party state where the GOP can lose the popular vote by 3 million and still control every branch of govt

S I C K O

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
China copies every little thing and sells it a lot cheaper. Vacuums, Drones, Taps, Motorcycle Housing, Scooters, you name it and AliExpress and Taobao will have it.

Great for the consumer, but sucks for the original creator.

Personally I had a product that we designed, prototyped, and finally manufactured in China. In 8 months a cheaper product was duplicated and took over our marketshare. Everything was the same, including the internals.

Nov 9, 2017
I really dont have good way of knowing,

Should have stopped there

China copies every little thing and sells it a lot cheaper. Vacuums, Drones, Taps, Motorcycle Housing, Scooters, you name it and AliExpress and Taobao will have it.

Personally I had a product that we designed, prototyped, and finally manufactured in China. In 8 months a cheaper product was duplicated and took over our marketshare. Everything was the same, including the internals.

But do you have proof? /s

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
try being black or undocumented in the US. to say nothing of the fact that we're rapidly becoming a one-party state where the GOP can lose the popular vote by 3 million and still control every branch of govt

I never said the us spying on its own citizen was cool just said that it's nonsense to use that as a reason that we should accept Chinese spying.

And no, we aren't heading toward a single party govt.

Oct 26, 2017

If you have no need for years of R&D due to corporate theft then of course you can make things cheaper. But if the other party you steal from goes out of business because they can't recoup those costs then you have no more technology or IP to steal.

You can claim it doesn't cost this or that for R&D for a specific project but they've got to invest in many more strands of research in other products over many years, some of which are dead ends.

Unlike Chinese companies they don't have the luxury of just investing everything into backwards engineering other people's products. I don't respect China at all due to copious theft that goes on.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

Sometimes it's even before the product is available. Plenty of stories of Kickstarter products that have been beaten to market after they got funded by a Chinese company.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017

One could frame it as you taking a risk exploiting underpaid manufacturing workers and getting burned. Of course it's often the only choice a small business has these days, but that just means it's a cutthroat world both ways.

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
As someone livin in Vietnam currently, I'm a little closer to China than I wish to be. They could easily make me disappear if they wanted to blow the man hours on it.
I mean, my post specifically was in reference to people living in thr West. Obviously it wasn't a catch all statement for everyone. If I lived in China, my opinion would be the opposite.
If Russia was able to manipulate people using trending Facebook posts based on information gained by monitoring people's social media habits then Obviously China can do much more with cellphone data.

Like we already don't like when our own government does it, why the hell should we allow other countries to do it? Like hell, I'm not even US supporter and I still think that that simply letting China have its way with backdoors is lunacy
While I agree with your Russia point in general, it's not about allowing or excusing one country vs the other. My point was specifically in reference to who I'd rather have spy on me. For me, China has less interest in looking at my personal data. The US has far more interest in spying on its citizens and manipulating them in a Russia-like campaign.
Well let's say you had a job at an company that China wanted data from. They could blackmail you via backdoor to do so.
This is true and they could be targets. I dont think that applies to the vast majority of people on here though. It doesnt apply to me specifically which is why I'd rather they spy on me than the country I live in (which has a vested interest in manipulating me so that certain parties can maintain power).
Holy shit this is something a character from Black Mirror would say.

Every defense of the PRC I've read in this thread has been a whataboutism at best and fascistic drivel like this at worst.

I don't need to realistically think anything actually, this isn't speculative fiction driven by unsubstantiated "yellow peril" xenophobia. China is actively doing things with data they're collecting from private citizens TODAY that is both incredibly invasive and highly authoritarian. There is a wealth of reporting on this from foreign watchdogs and nothing anyone has said in this thread or the others on Huawei/PRC has refuted these criticisms.

I'm not going to excuse the missteps the US government has taken against its private citizens since 9/11 but I've never once feared that criticizing my own government would get me disappeared or placed into one of China's lovely re-education camps. That is a monumental difference between how privacy is handled between these two countries that many bad faith posters in this thread are consciously choosing to ignore.
I have no idea why you're quoting my post with this response. What China does to its citizens is wrong but it has nothing to do with who I'd rather have looking through my personal data. Just because I dont think China can do anything with my data doesnt mean it's a show of support for their actions.

Nov 9, 2017
One could frame it as you taking a risk exploiting underpaid manufacturing workers and getting burned. Of course it's often the only choice a small business has these days, but that just means it's a cutthroat world both ways.

Ok, if this is the case then the US isn't treating China unfairly. Just giving some of China's medicine back to them in this crazy cutthroat world we live in which cuts both ways.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Trump really wants to win that trade war and get reelected.. I know China isn't completely innocent here but if they give in to US demands then trump will be assured reelection, that's all it comes down to. Companies are being pressured by the state department to cut ties with Huawei most likely so trump can force china to sign a trade agreement completely favoring the US in exchange for lifting pressure on Huawei.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
Ok, if this is the case then the US isn't treating China unfairly. Just giving some of China's medicine back to them in this crazy cutthroat world we live in which cuts both ways.

Oh it is. Some of us just want it to be as stable as possible and without brinksmanship. Do you want China to start making moves on Taiwan or restricting access to rare earth metals?

Ahhthe90s

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Will the World be safer with china or the US in charge of 5g?

I mean, whoever is in charge will own US a favor after this.
100% with USA in charge of 5G.

With the USA at least you have a multitude of companies who will bring 5G together, where as with China it's only 1 company (Huawei - aka China).