• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017

Arlo discusses the joycon drift issue. He acknowledges that while Nintendo has tried to rectify things by offering to replace joycons free of charge, he still has several problems with how the company has handled the issue.

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
I feel like I am the only one with so many people reporting on it. Still have my launch ones, use them daily, never had an issue.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
Can't watch the video right now, does he mention the situation that we have in Europe right now? I barely use my Joy-Con, but the fact that I can't lend them to my girlfriend while she sends theirs for a second time to customer support because mine don't work either and I got my Switch at launch, which means that NoE won't repair them because they're out of warranty, is pretty fucked up.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully NoE will follow NoA on replacing those for free.
I feel like I am the only one with so many people reporting on it. Still have my launch ones, use them daily, never had an issue.
Same, it's just the nature of hardware lottery.
Still makes me paranoid it's going to happen someday, my Pro Controller did drift several months ago but after blowing inside it, it was fixed so I guess it was just some dust.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
As said in another thread, I have another issue. Randomly my TV becomes Black for half a second when I play docked. I think it has to do with the video output either of the console or of the dock.

It sucks.

OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Can't watch the video right now, does he mention the situation that we have in Europe right now? I barely use my Joy-Con, but the fact that I can't lend them to my girlfriend while she sends theirs for a second time to customer support because mine don't work either and I got my Switch at launch, which means that NoE won't repair them because they're out of warranty, is pretty fucked up.
He does mention how the replacement solution seems to only be for certain countries.

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil

I bought mine in May 2017 and never had any issues either, thankfully. Not saying the problem doesn't exist though, of course.

What does bother me though is the material they chose for the console/controllers, since it gets dirty pretty easily from regular use, and because of it I'm constantly cleaning my Switch so it doesn't look greasy.

Edit: The dock scratching the back of the console also bothers me a lot.

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
I bought mine in May 2017 and never had any issues either, thankfully. Not saying the problem doesn't exist though, of course.

What does bother me though is the material they chose for the console/controllers, since it gets dirty pretty easily from regular use, and because of it I'm constantly cleaning my Switch so it doesn't look greasy.

oh absolutely, a few friends experienced the drifting, definitely aware of the problem.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm at the point where I've had to have so many of these things replaced myself that it's tough to convince me that people who report no issues just haven't noticed or paid much mind to the Bluetooth/drift issues. I know that's not entirely right but my experience has been so bafflingly, consistently poor that the thought of a set of perfectly working launch Joy Con in late 2019 just reads like bullshit to me :(

Last edited:

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Saying it like it's a company wide decline. It's not. My Wii had the artifact GPU issue because of WiiConnect24 and my 3DS came with a friggin TN screen when others got IPS panels. My DS Lite came with an offset touch-screen.

Baircade

Aug 21, 2018
Europe
Y'all just reminded me while I have no issues with Switch so far (knock on wood) I had sooooooooooo many problems with the (3)DS line of systems. One time I had to return 4 or 5 DSlite in a row because the entire batch at that store had screen issues until I just asked my money back and bought one somewhere else. I've had so many dead pixels, touch screen problems, faulty repairs etc with pretty much all of my DS and 3DS units except the "new" and 2DS line of systems.

Prevolition

Oct 27, 2017
Any word on whether they improved it with the base console upgrade? I guess we can't know for sure until enough time has passed.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah switch is kind of shitty built for a nintendo product. They are usually really well built

Weird that Xbox has the best built hardware now from the controller to the console they are just MILES ahead of both sony (shitty controller, bad cooling and loud consoles) and nintendo (mostly the joycons - switch itself is ok imo)

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Why all the names of Arlo's videos sound depressive. Like, he doesn't even sound angry, just like he has given up.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I'm at the point where I've had to have so many of these things replaced myself that it's tough to convince me that people who report no issues just haven't noticed or paid much mind to the Bluetooth/drift issues. I know that's not entirely right but my experience has been so bafflingly, consistently poor that the thought of a set of perfectly working launch Joy Con in late 2019 just reads like bullshit to me :(
Lots of people bought pro controllers and their Joycons have under 10 hours of use. So when they do use them they're still like new.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017

That's how I felt with almost every other console. I've had almost every console and other than one red ring of death, have been extremely lucky. With my switch, been through two sets of joycon. First had the disconnect issue and had to be sent in, then they drifted. Then my custom ones started drifting this year. First my left, then suddenly my right. My son has been through like two pairs too. I finally had to learn how to replace them myself. I baby my electronics too. Bit of a bummer.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
As said in another thread, I have another issue. Randomly my TV becomes Black for half a second when I play docked. I think it has to do with the video output either of the console or of the dock.

Do you route your switch through a HDMI splitter, switch, or receiver by chance? I have this problem sometimes and I use a receiver. I find that if I restart the receiver the problem goes away. None of the other consoles do this.

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
I have logged hundreds of hours on my launch Switch using only the pair of joy cons that came with the system. Docked, undocked, inside and outside. Thankfully mine have not started to drift, yet.

With that said, my right joy con has lost part of the semisphere(?) under the analog stick which makes it uncomfortable to use, and the joy con itself does not lock itself in the rail anymore. Separate issues, I know, but I've handled my switch like a baby and I'm sad to see the durability of Nintendo hardware not being as good as I'm used to.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a thing with Nintendo ever since the DS lite hinge issue. They used to be so reliable too.

Ruck

Oct 25, 2017
Not joycon related persay but my pro controller's R button is starting to drop inputs if I don't press hard enough. The L button is the same as it always was though. It's really noticeable in a game like Monster Hunter where you hold R a lot. Anybody else have this problem? This would not be the first Nintendo device I own to have messed up shoulder buttons :(

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Do you route your switch through a HDMI splitter, switch, or receiver by chance? I have this problem sometimes and I use a receiver. I find that if I restart the receiver the problem goes away. None of the other consoles do this.

I indeed use a splitter, but the issue does not appear when I plug my PC in place of the switch.
I'll try to bypass the splitter and see

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
I was extremely lucky, as my original right joycon started to drift a couple of months before my warranty was up and I was able to get it fixed for free. My OG left joycon has just now started to show signs of drift and I live in the US, so it's good to know Nintendo will rectify the situation for free if I need to send it in. I think my left joycon outlived my right by over a year because I got a second set of joycons and a pro controller around the same time that I sent the right one in for repairs, so wear and tear has been distributed across multiple controllers.

I definitely agree with Arlo here. I'm also a longtime Nintendo fan and I have to say the way they've handled this has been uncharacteristically shady (although the amount of time it took them to acknowledge and address the problem was probably not all that uncharacteristic tbch).

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah. Been sad to observe this issue. It's not very Nintendo like at all. At least, old Nintendo like.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Starting? Nintendo's philosophy has always been cheap hardware. And that has consequences.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Starting? Nintendo's philosophy has always been cheap hardware. And that has consequences.

Cheap when it came to technology, not build quality. Nintendium became a thing for a reason. The original Game Boy was basically a black box which is why one that survived a bombing in the Gulf War is still on display at the Nintendo World Store.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
You had to be turning a blind eye to things like the 3DS's wildly different screen qualities left up to a luck of the draw to not realise Nintendo had been engaging in getting a little too cheap with their shit beginning with the Wii.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It sucks.
Try a different HDMI cable. My htpc did the same thing and when i changed the HDMI cable it stopped doing that.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Cheap when it came to technology, not build quality. Nintendium became a thing for a reason. The original Game Boy was basically a black box which is why one that survived a bombing in the Gulf War is still on display at the Nintendo World Store.
The original GameBoy back then maybe, yes. But I've been through three 3DS's because of the shitty screen. They get these black dots everywhere, not dead pixels; and it gets worse by the day. You end up with the screen covered in these dots.

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
That's too far back, this issue isn't starting with the Switch the DS and 3DS had problems like this too.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
GameCube could literally survive being tossed off the roof of a two story building. Those fuckers were strong.

Tamerlane

Oct 27, 2017
I have such a bizarre problem with mine. The screen has sunken into the bottom left corner so it looks like it's been slightly rotated counter clockwise. Very minor defect but I can't stop thinking about it when playing in portable mode.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo has never been free from hardware issues: blinking NES systems, SNES shoulder buttons cracking, N64 controllers that wear down and feel shitty quickly, 3DS screen scratching. These weren't RROD level bad but still sucked. Hopefully new Switch systems fix the joycon problem.