• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
The MCU was able to turn B-tier characters and frankly unknown characters to the general and make them household names. It honestly shifted my DC fanboyism over to Marvel a bit.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
did you saw it or are you talking about what you read ?

...was it leaked ? where can i find it ? =x

I'm making an educated guess based on the quality of Marvel Television's output under Loeb, which was a completely separate and unrelated division to Feige's Marvel Studios. I love Squirrel Girl, but I did not need to see her done by the people who made Agents of SHIELD or the Netflix shows, all of which I found okay-to-unwatchable. New Warriors will be along eventually, handled by real pros this time.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They didn't want to repeat stuff, it's obvious everything with Uncle Ben still happened and it has been since that scene Peter had with Tony in Civil War

Y'all act like they erased him from existence, he just doesn't need to be focused on rn. It's not like Peter thinks about Uncle Ben in every Spider-Man comic either

It's gotten to the point that Peter mourns Tony Stark more than Uncle Ben. Something is seriously wrong with this picture.

Peter stanning a billionaire is gross af. (And before someone mentions the Osborns, how does that tend to work out for Peter?)

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I love Squirrel Girl, but I did not need to see her done by the people who made Agents of SHIELD or the Netflix shows, all of which I found okay-to-unwatchable.

i don't doubt they would not do Squirrel Girl justice because it is a completely different tone, but saying SHIELD is "ok to unwatchable" is against the law in some countries.... it features some of the best seasons ever made by marvel and i am safe to say this without even finishing Falcon or watching loki

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
i don't doubt they would not do Squirrel Girl justice because it is a completely different tone, but saying SHIELD is "ok to unwatchable" is against the law in some countries.... it features some of the best seasons ever made by marvel and i am safe to say this without even finishing Falcon or watching loki
Yeah that was a dodged bullet. She will eventually show up. Now that everyone's getting a Disney+ show the chances are even greater.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Extremely happy. Though I don't give credit to Disney, I credit the individual writers, actors, directors and Feige for tying everything together while simultaneously ensuring each movie retains it's own identify and feeling- something that was sorely lacking during Phase 1 and some of Phase 2 imo.

The only thing I don't like thus far are the stupid reactionary idiots online, the absolute flood of alt-right trolling, the weird Tobey Maguire army, the dummies that continue to think that "all Marvel will only be G-rated because Disney" despite all evidence to the contrary.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Objectively? Sure, it's a juggernaut. They did an incredible job.

Personally, no, but I've been more of an X-Men and Spider-Man guy when it comes to Marvel and they've yet to do much with the former and I don't think they've done well with the latter.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Extremely happy. Though I don't give credit to Disney, I credit the individual writers, actors, directors and Feige for tying everything together while simultaneously ensuring each movie retains it's own identify and feeling- something that was sorely lacking during Phase 1 and some of Phase 2 imo.

The only thing I don't like thus far are the stupid reactionary idiots online, the absolute flood of alt-right trolling, the weird Tobey Maguire army, the dummies that continue to think that "all Marvel will only be G-rated because Disney" despite all evidence to the contrary.
I give credit to Disney for being smart enough to leave it all to Marvel Studios to make creative decisions. Here's a blank check-go nuts.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
It's gotten to the point that Peter mourns Tony Stark more than Uncle Ben. Something is seriously wrong with this picture.

Peter stanning a billionaire is gross af. (And before someone mentions the Osborns, how does that tend to work out for Peter?)
We've seen Peter mourn Uncle Ben in two films already. If Marvel had done that you would have people complaining that they spent too much time on Uncle Ben. Peter stanning Tony makes perfect sense in the MCU and as Far From Home shows, he now knows Tony was far from perfect. I will never buy this narrative that Peter is Tony Jr or that they've erased Uncle Ben. He is still Peter Parker in all the ways that matter

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
No matter what complaints I may have with the Disney-ification of the MCU, I will forever be grateful that they got Ike Perlmutter out of the driver's seat and put Kevin Feige in charge.

Thanks to that move we get Black Panther, Shang Chi, Kamala Khan, America Chavez, etc. And we get to see a bit more of some of the many social issues that Marvel COMICS have looked at over the decades brought up.

Last edited:

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
We've seen Peter mourn Uncle Ben in two films already. If Marvel had done that you would have people complaining that they spent too much time on Uncle Ben. Peter stanning Tony makes perfect sense in the MCU and as Far From Home shows, he now knows Tony was far from perfect. I will never buy this narrative that Peter is Tony Jr or that they've erased Uncle Ben. He is still Peter Parker in all the ways that matter

Into The Spider-Verse did a better job giving tribute to Uncle Ben than any MCU movie. This Peter also seems to have no money problems. And if you want to go into the supporting cast, we can, because they are unrecognizable.

This is a poor representation of Spider-Man and his world.

This is such a funny sentence.

Tony Stark especially. Peter should be fighting the urge to punch Stark in the face every time they meet.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
You get the impression people just want every Spider-Man movie to be him mourning Uncle Ben every day of his life ad infinitum.

I definitely don't see this happen in the comics so I don't get where this is coming from.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The MCU'a a pretty staggering achievement. Generally really good blockbusters pumped out at an incredible rate and faithful to its characters.
Disney knew they had a good thing going and when shit started getting awkward internally they just gave Feige all the power and moved out of his way. So I'd say they've handled it well.
Not to mention the D+ shows have started really strong. I have issues with parts of Wandavision but the concept and execution of the sitcom episodes was great. Falcon has started brilliantly.

On the Spider-Man topic I get why people don't like the Tony aspect of him. But it makes too much sense. Tony was the godfather of the whole MCU, he's the reason is took off and became what it is and turning Iron Man into a worldwide superstar is one of their crowning achievements. He's the lasting legacy of the Infinity Saga and it makes perfect sense for him to mentor Pete and for Pete to mourn him.
They're playing the long game with this Spider-Man. Locking him to Tony early made him almost irreversibly linked to the MCU and incredibly important to the universe. They've dealt with that relationship and his grief about it in his first two films. That's done. God knows how many films he has left to grow and explore other aspects of himself.
Nobody needed a third Uncle Ben death within 15 years or whatever.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Into The Spider-Verse did a better job giving tribute to Uncle Ben than any MCU movie. This Peter also seems to have no money problems. And if you want to go into the supporting cast, we can, because they are unrecognizable.

This is a poor representation of Spider-Man and his world.
These movies aren't trying to give tribute to Uncle Ben. It should be understood.

We know he was a dumpster diver before Tony showed up. These are updated takes on the characters, calling them unrecognizable seems kinda disingenuous when they have been updated and diversified for a new audience and so that they aren't repeating the same dynamics we've already seen. It's only a poor representation if you think it has to be 1:1 faithful to the comics, which no MCU movie has been. Comic fans are usually more on board with adaptation changes but for some reason the MCU Spider-Man has some of y'all really tight. I hoped you said something when The Amazing Spider-Man films were trying to act like Peter's parents were ever important and implying he was destined to be Spider-Man, or when the Raimi films made his webs organic and yanked him right out of high school after an hour. Much more egregious choices than anything the MCU has done but yet, they are still enjoyable
You get the impression people just want every Spider-Man movie to be him mourning Uncle Ben every day of his life ad infinitum.

I definitely don't see this happen in the comics so I don't get where this is coming from.
It's honestly baffling.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
More than my wildest dreams. When the X-Men come on the scene I might just fall over dead.

Spider-Man playing with other Marvel characters. Never in my life did I think I would see this

I can't even imagine going back in time and telling myself "in 2019 Iron Man will be bigger than Batman," I really can't

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Not repeating Uncle Ben's death for the third time was a fantastic decision. Everyone who watches the MCU movies knows how Peter got his powers and that he lost his uncle, imagine wasting an entire film just to do that whole song and dance again.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Not repeating Uncle Ben's death for the third time was a fantastic decision. Everyone who watches the MCU movies knows how Peter got his powers and that he lost his uncle, imagine wasting an entire film just to do that whole song and dance again.

I'm not sure if Spider-Man in Civil War was the best move for Civil War, but it was definitely the best move for Spider-Man for this reason.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Much prefer Fox Logan & Deadpool to anything that's come out of the MCU.

Also like to see a Marvel movie without the tie ins, these stories are shoehorned with an eventual team or the backdrop of another hero's past event. Would be nice to get a contained trilogy without anyone else.

Last edited:

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
These movies aren't trying to give tribute to Uncle Ben. It should be understood.

We know he was a dumpster diver before Tony showed up. These are updated takes on the characters, calling them unrecognizable seems kinda disingenuous when they have been updated and diversified for a new audience and so that they aren't repeating the same dynamics we've already seen. It's only a poor representation if you think it has to be 1:1 faithful to the comics, which no MCU movie has been. Comic fans are usually more on board with adaptation changes but for some reason the MCU Spider-Man has some of y'all really tight. I hoped you said something when The Amazing Spider-Man films were trying to act like Peter's parents were ever important and implying he was destined to be Spider-Man, or when the Raimi films made his webs organic and yanked him right out of high school after an hour. Much more egregious choices than anything the MCU has done but yet, they are still enjoyable

I did. I have frequently said how bad The Amazing Spider-Man films are. Not just as Spider-Man films, but as films in general.

I don't need a 1:1 comic adaptation, but I want a more accurate adaptation than one that takes Miles Morales' best friend, renames him after the fake Hobgoblin, and makes him Peter's BFF. There are ton of characters and stories that we have never seen in a Spider-Man film despite there being so many of them.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like some of them and will continue watching, but they're like McDonald's: tasty, but empty and ultimately not good for you. They are safe and unchallenging, factory-made. Feige doesn't have an eye for visual storytelling, but he does know how to cast a movie. WandaVision was an insult, an incredibly intriguing premise kneecapped by formula. Let's solve this woman's grief by....shooting laser beams?
That witches also shoot laser beams in the MCU is so funny lol

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I'm making an educated guess based on the quality of Marvel Television's output under Loeb, which was a completely separate and unrelated division to Feige's Marvel Studios. I love Squirrel Girl, but I did not need to see her done by the people who made Agents of SHIELD or the Netflix shows, all of which I found okay-to-unwatchable. New Warriors will be along eventually, handled by real pros this time.

I can see them introducing Squirrel Girl in the Miss Marvel show.

PadWarrior

Oct 25, 2017
I've loved what they did with iron man 1 - Endgame. Not interested in their future stuff like Eternals (even though I'm a big fan of Kirby creations I never could get into them) Ms. Marvel, Shang-Chi, Love and Thunder or young avengers.
I'm currently enjoying falcon and winter solider and enjoyed WandaVision. Looking forward to Dr. Strange and Spider-Man 3. Will probably tap out after that and come back for the F4 and X-men.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I did. I have frequently said how bad The Amazing Spider-Man films are. Not just as Spider-Man films, but as films in general.

I don't need a 1:1 comic adaptation, but I want a more accurate adaptation than one that takes Miles Morales' best friend, renames him after the fake Hobgoblin, and makes him Peter's BFF. There are ton of characters and stories that we have never seen in a Spider-Man film despite there being so many of them.
Vulture, Mysterio, Tinkerer, having him actually Spider-Man in Queens, going to Europe, these movies are very much doing new things with the character that hasn't been done yet. You say you don't want a 1:1 adaptation but that what it sounds like to me. On the subject of Ned being like Ganke, Peter didn't know Ned in high school in the comics so that period in Ned's life is pretty much open to interpretation. Other than being on the heavier side and into LEGOs, that's all the similarities those two share and (that's pretty much all there is to Ganke's character rn anyway) I feel like even then it's overblown. He's also dated Betty in Far From Home, which is something accurate to the comics but people never want to bring up

It's not some poor representation, it's just different

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Like 1 in 5 superhero movies was decent-to-good before Marvel stepped in. You'd go through an X-Men 3, Daredevil, Green Lantern, and Fantastic Four before you got to a Spider-Man 2.

They've brought the batting average way, way up.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I love it, though I would like to see them take some more risks thematically. When it's a big megacorporation focussed on hitting the widest demographics possible, my expectations are pretty low on that front though.

Also the cg is sometimes inexcusably awful considering how big the budget is for these films lol.

Sarobi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, sure. When the announcement came out that they were going to buy Marvel, everyone panicked and swore up and down that they would kill it for good with strict rated G material. I think they've done a good job thus far, but things can always dip and turn sour.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They have done a good job letting Marvel be Marvel. I am also glad they can read the populous and are allowing them to start addressing things like Racism in America and how even a hero they are cheering one minute is still a worthless thug to them the next when the suit is off. I suspect there is still a lot that Disney will block due to the Chinese Box office though

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Vulture, Mysterio, Tinkerer, having him actually Spider-Man in Queens, going to Europe, these movies are very much doing new things with the character that hasn't been done yet. You say you don't want a 1:1 adaptation but that what it sounds like to me. On the subject of Ned being like Ganke, Peter didn't know Ned in high school in the comics so that period in Ned's life is pretty much open to interpretation. Other than being on the heavier side and into LEGOs, that's all the similarities those two share and (that's pretty much all there is to Ganke's character rn anyway) I feel like even then it's overblown. He's also dated Betty in Far From Home, which is something accurate to the comics but people never want to bring up

It's not some poor representation, it's just different

The "Ned" character in the MCU is why the Spider-Verse team massively pulled away from Ganke in their film. The MCU decisions are impacting other, better, Spidey movies. Randy Robertson still has yet to appear in a Spider-Man film if they didn't want to do Harry Osborn again.

Vulture and Mysterio were also massively retooled to the point that their motivations make them Iron Man villains instead of Spider-Man villains.

Also, their MJ reveal was definitely on the weak side of things. Instead of getting "face it, tiger" (which I think Zendaya would have fucking nailed and which has never been in a film), we get a more normal "quirky" love interest for the sake of a pointless surprise.

Despite all this, I don't think these are bad films like the Amazing films are. But I do think they are bad Spider-Man films. Because they don't feel like Spider-Man. They feel like an OC that borrows some of Spider-Man's iconography.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Feige made the Guardians of the Galaxy and Antman matter more than the X-Men.

They are gonna save the F4.

They are gonna give us new heroes like Ironheart and Ms. Marvel break out of the books.

The answer is yes.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Marvel is competently bringing to the big screen characters and storylines I thought would only exist in my imagination. It's incredible and I'm trying not to take it for granted. The MCU is not above criticism, but it says something that I'm still consistently enjoying their output after 22 movies and I'm extremely excited to see how their TV shows improve, evolve over time, and integrate into a movie + TV shared universe. Meanwhile, other studio's superhero output is mixed, in my opinion.

And when it comes to characters like Spider-Man, who is my personal favorite, I'm just enjoying how they're adapting him to this world and shared universe. I've seen the poor, self-isolating Spider-Man who grieves his Uncle Ben over multiple movies. I'm totally fine with seeing a Spider-Man that exists alongside and works with characters like Iron Man, Dr. Strange, etc.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
We've seen Peter mourn Uncle Ben in two films already. If Marvel had done that you would have people complaining that they spent too much time on Uncle Ben.

My favorite thing in the world is the:

"Marvel so formulaic"

into

"Wheres my Uncle Ben formula!"

In any case its just a side effect of the success anyway. It's 'their' formula, and no one else is doing it right. Not even close, despite many copies. Im happy that it seems to have such a long runway ahead of it. Something like Xmen being able to bring in many lesser known mutants is going to benefit tremendously from it.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, no, but I've been more of an X-Men and Spider-Man guy when it comes to Marvel and they've yet to do much with the former and I don't think they've done well with the latter.

Wait do you mean comics?

Because the X-Men are in the best place they've been in since Claremont right now in the comics

And like they just got the movie rights for the X-Men 18 months ago or whatever sooo dunno how can you can say this means Disney hasn't handled Marvel well

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Overall, yes. The movies and shows feel vanilla and samey to some extent. But they're the only ones to pull off a shared cinematic universe successfully despite being the first to try it, so I give them a ton of credit for that.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
I didn't like having Spiderman' story revolve around Iron Man and other paternal figures. He now is "Tony Stark's lil bitch". I think that in 4 movies + Endgame he says "mr. Stark" almost a hundred times.

I always saw him as an indipendent strongwilled kid/man... now he is a petulant appendix.

Pretty sure that's the fault of Sony. I remember hearing they wanted RDJ when the original plan was for Nick Fury.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Yea, definitely. They paid four cool billion in cash for all of those properties, but people called them crazy since they didn't have movie rights to then most popular franchises. So Feige cracked his knuckles and turned the Avengers, then characters only people who routinely stepped into a comics shop really knew about, into household names bringing in nearly-to-a billion dollars a film. All while Disney pretty much left the comics editorials alone and negotiated to get Peter Parker into their sandbox.

Disney done good. Real good.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Yup. More than happy. And since I don't give a crap about R Ratings or the like, I suspect I will continue to be.

Disney+ has really given them room to do whatever needs to be done with these properties.

Need a quirky sitcom reality to deal with Wanda's grief? Check.

Want to tell a six part miniseries about Sam coming to terms that he was the right person to wield the shield? (cut the) Check.

Want to introduce Bruce's cousin who will also be a Hulk? Check.

Introduce the group that makes sure the time lines stay correct while also keeping fan favorite Loki around? Check.

Etc
Etc
Etc

The future for Marvel properties is so bright you gotta wear shades.

Also Disney has the balls to actually make this poster before the movie even came out:

ad_127934252_1556629626.jpg

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
Yup. I would make an argument that Fox and Sony owning more of the recognizable characters helped them immensely as opposed to Star Wars, they could do things creatively without having to deal with the extra bullshit of that property. No one was going to organize an online mob of manbabies with torches over the characterization of Drax ("He was my fav character in my childhood and you ruined him, I hope your daughter dies"), or have high expectations of selling 3 million drax toys.

They have a universe runner with passion for the project, use talented writers/directors from the indie world, and really no built in audience expectation as far as storylines and characterization is concerned.

Agreed. They really had to work hard to make C-tier characters popular. So we got the fairly good lead up to Avengers. That's where Feige really shined.

Ironically, I'm less enthusiastic now that they have almost all of their properties back. I'm dreading whenever they bring in mutants.

I'm also less interested after the end of the Infinity Saga. Cap and Iron Man were two of my faves in the MCU. I'm happy with the way their stories ended and understand why Evans and RDJ left the series.

Early MCU had that underdog appeal that no longer applies after Disney bought them. I really dislike Disney. I still have a ton of respect for Feige, though.

I'm ambivalent about the MCU from here on but I also got 10+ years of good films and characters I love. I'm sad about how things are changing, but it's inevitable that things change.

TL;DR I'm not excited for where the MCU is going and I dislike Disney but I love the Infinity Saga and am just glad I was able to experience that. There really isn't anything else like the MCU in film.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like having Spiderman' story revolve around Iron Man and other paternal figures. He now is "Tony Stark's lil bitch". I think that in 4 movies + Endgame he says "mr. Stark" almost a hundred times.

I always saw him as an indipendent strongwilled kid/man... now he is a petulant appendix.

hard disagree. Gave us a totally unique spider-man story compared to a rehash of the others.

the point its that he is learning to become strong willed/independent. Heck that was what the last one was about

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Would like to see some R-Rated content for the MCU.
I know Deadpool is coming, but I'm hoping will get more than just Deadpool.
Also, MCU still kinda suffers from poorly placed comedic moments from time to time.
I would be curious to see if they could ever make a MCU movie or show that doesn't rely on those type of emotional beats, and still do well.

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
I haven't picked up a Marvel comic since I fell off deadpool sometime in the mid 2010s. I have family who are deep into comics and they haven't raved about anything, so I haven't bothered to pick anything up.

The MCU is ok, I had a good time watching Ragnarok, GOTG, Ant-man 1 and the Infinity films.

I didn't like Wandavision or Falcon. I am yet to try Helstrom, I might watch an episode tonight.

However I assume I'm gonna hate it because everything I've heard makes it sound nothing like the character in the comics and I quite liked the 90s reboot.

Last edited:

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My favorite thing in the world is the:

"Marvel so formulaic"

into

"Wheres my Uncle Ben formula!"

In any case its just a side effect of the success anyway. It's 'their' formula, and no one else is doing it right. Not even close, despite many copies. Im happy that it seems to have such a long runway ahead of it. Something like Xmen being able to bring in many lesser known mutants is going to benefit tremendously from it.

Into the Spider-Verse actually reused Cliff Robertson voice clips for Uncle Ben, and it is a much better film than either of the MCU Spider-Man films.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Into the Spider-Verse actually reused Cliff Robertson voice clips for Uncle Ben, and it is a much better film than either of the MCU Spider-Man films. By a fucking mile.

They co-exist, so if its what you want, you got it. I'm commenting only as far as what the thread is discussing. The MCU. I find the entire competitive nonsense between this comic movie universe and another a waste of time when we are getting served from every angle, from live action, to anime to games even (especially in the case of Spiderman). Even less reason to be upset about one of the many co-existing interpretations IMO.

Would like to see some R-Rated content for the MCU.
I know Deadpool is coming, but I'm hoping will get more than just Deadpool.
Also, MCU still kinda suffers from poorly placed comedic moments from time to time.
I would be curious to see if they could ever make a MCU movie or show that doesn't rely on those type of emotional beats, and still do well.

Yeah this is missing. I wonder if they are capable of doing good Rated R content well. Blade is going to be the first I think after Deadpool? But deadpool is established, it being good is more on Ryan Reynolds than Disney more than likely.

Last edited: