• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you?

• Yeah

Votes: 283 35.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 347 43.3%
  • Used to be

Votes: 172 21.4%

• Total voters

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I don't think so.

I have all the systems (except the XO but I have a good PC so I don't need it) and play games on all of them, and constantly try new series.

I have a strong bias of gameplay (whichever gameplay it is) over graphics and story though. Music is also my soft spot, as it's "eternal".

ericsp17

Oct 27, 2017
I remember being one for the Genesis when I was a kid. Then got a paper route and could afford a SNES and that all went away. Ever since me or my household has owned every system besides some of the more obscure ones like 3D0, Jaguar, CD-I, Ouya, etc.

Also for me there's nothing wrong with being a fan of a platform. Fanboy is when you have to tear down the "others".

Deleted member 873

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
ever since I tattooed Samus, Rosalina, Peach and Zelda on my left arm, I kinda did the thing where I can't go back

Console wars suck tho.

capnjazz

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Byrgenwerth
I was lucky enough to have mostly every system growing up and I enjoyed them all up until this gen. The Xbox One just offered nothing and when I look back at how awesome the OG Xbox was, it's a bit disappointing.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
I have a journal entry I made in 2008 when I was 15, when I described myself as a Sony loyalist and said I'd never cross no mans land over to xbox and im still cringing with embarrassment from that.

You had a moment of clarity.

Now just think their are people on here who are over 30 still thinking and behaving that way.

Rikster

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Jun 24, 2018
California
Everyone is a fan of something, but I've matured in a way too not bash what other people are fans of and hear their perspective. I'll never understand the annoying fanboyism and let's just bash things cause it's cool?

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
you should probably specify for what. cause i am a huge kingdoms of amalur fanboy
EKFRqv8WsAAVLz9.gif

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well I'm a fan of all things playstation because I've got super fond memories growing up with Playstation. That doesnt mean I dont think they've made bad games or decisions at one point or another but ultimately I'm a fan of their consoles. Not arsed what that makes me. I also own an Xbox One X, subscribe to their services, same with Nintendo but I'd consider my myself less of fan of those.

Sojiro

Jun 24, 2018
Coming off of the PS1, I was a huge Sony fanboy that wouldn't even consider looking at the Dreamcast (and honestly talked down on it a lot), then Gamecube, and then the OG Xbox because I was all in for the PS2. It was years later that I finally gave Dreamcast a chance, and man did I realize I was a piece of shit constantly dogging on a console I had never played. I think a big part of that was me being in high school at the time, and really I could only afford to get one console, so the ones I got, I defended their honor to the death lol. I think for most people they eventually grow out of it, but there will always be some platform flag waving of some sort.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
My alias on Steam is PlayStation Fanboy. Don't believe me? Look it up!

I'm by no means a fanboy though. If I recall correctly, I chose that name go annoy my friend and simply stuck with it.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I am a PlayStation fan, yes. But with respect for the other brands.

Nintendo more than Xbox but thats just from nostalgia point of view.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Never was a complete fanboy, but always favored Nintendo games just because I enjoy more of the offerings on there and the SNES was the first system I played. I have owned every other console except XB1(PC user) though since I started gaming. I love my God of Wars/Horizon/TLoU/Halo/etc. almost as much as I love my 3D Mario/Smash/TLoZ/etc. though Pokemon will stay in an above tier for me

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Yes I'm a fanboy of certain things. Nothing sad about liking something unless it gets to the point you attack others over it.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
And i do love certain brands over others and i do love certain series but the only things i am a huge fanboy of are Zelda and Pokemon. And Nintendo.

I've got enough Pokemon merch to open a Pokemon Center and a enough Nintendo merch to open a Nintendo store.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I like Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony (Plus I'm a PC gamer too).

I attribute a lot of that to age, and being able to afford all of their hardware if I want it.

I was a MASSIVE Nintendo fan as a kid and teen (I turn 37 in 2 weeks, so that is long behind me).

Between myself and my kids we have nearly every other console released since the 80's. From an Intellivision, Commodore 64, Atari's different iterations, to most of Nintendo, Sega, and Microsoft's hardware. Most handhelds...I have a Vita, GB, DS, etc. As for current systems we have a PS4, XB1, XB1X, Gaming PC, Switch, and on and on.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Guess so. I don't know. I have my preferences, won't deny that, but I think some might faint if they saw some of my personal scores for series I'm fond of :P That and my GotYs have varied over the ten years or so, mostly towards games that would never have a chance of dominating them

Honestly, I get more annoyed by folk trying to knock other things down rather than propping something else up. The former is rather annoying and the latter is whatever and understandable, within reason

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but not about a video game thing.

I used to be. I was a staunch "NIntendo only" person until the Wii happened. It was around that time the other systems had too many good games (and good online multiplayer) (and the Wii had too few games "for me") for me to ignore.

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, but not about a video game thing.

I used to be. I was a staunch "NIntendo only" person until the Wii happened. It was around that time the other systems had too many good games (and good online multiplayer) (and the Wii had too few games "for me") for me to ignore.
That's honestly interesting because I wasn't into any of the home consoles that generation :P

Still regret not putting more time into the DS and not getting a PSP

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I used to be a Nintendo fanboy in my youth, but that was mostly because I only ever have one console at a time. Once I had enough income to afford most any I wanted, fanboyism went out the window in favor of actual game quality. Though I have to say that Nintendo still occupies a very soft spot in my heart due to their incredibly stable output of high quality and fun games.

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty much a Nintendo fanboy. I grew up playing Nintendo consoles, and even after owning a PlayStation 1, 2, and 4, I don't really have any desire to purchase games on other consoles. I only really have the time and money for Nintendo games that I know I'll like. I don't try to put other brands down, but I do admit I want to see Nintendo have the level of success as its competitors do.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If you're a fanboy it means you have some growing up to do.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I'm a huge Sony fanboy and am not ashamed to say it at all. I'm not a toxic fanboy who will console war though, that's a huge point of distinction.

AdrianG4

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I was a huuuuuge Nintendo fanboy in the Gamecube era and then console war'd on the side of PS3 during that generation. By early 2010's I was approaching my mid 20's and other things in life became more important than joining E3 hype train threads or searching all over the internet for gaming news but I would like to say that my appreciation, fascination and admiration of major Nintendo hardware and its games has been relatively consistent in my adult life. I guess I am a Nintendo fanboy.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Nope. I can critically evaluate any thing, service or company.

There are certainly companies I have considerable like for, and trust in their process for creating a great product or one I will love, but that's about it. I'll not blindly accept or trust anything. Not sure what the point would be

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
All I care about is the games, BUT... if all those tasty games could find themselves on Sony's Playstation, "The Best Place to Play," well that would be swell.

So, totally not one of those fan-shill-amabobs.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Mostly for certain franchises, but I grew up only owning so Nintendo systems so I'd be lying if I said I wasn't partial/loyal to them.