• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Aer bags are great. I have this exact one and a larger brief/backpack hybrid from them that I take to work.

Love using slings.
Very annoyed at the trend of placing easily-disengaged buckles (especially the super trendy costly fidlock ones) onto the straps that sit on one's back and thereby making them easily-snatchable. Sucks that so many of the nice ones (like Peak Design, Aer) are going this route these days; feels like justification for new product revs rather than practicality. This might be just a personal annoyance, as I'm a front-wearer whereas it seems most wear slings on their backs, putting the buckle in front.

I don't have any experience with the Fidlock but I'm guessing the straps are held together with a magnet rather than just the usual bulky plastic clip?

I plan on wearing it across my back but occasionally my front, so would tightening the straps to fit snugly across my back/chest make disengaging the clip harder?

Thanks!

badatorigami

Dec 5, 2019
Me personally though, I don't even like buckles at all along the length of the strap. I just like when the strap is attached to the bag or the secure buckle mechanism is where the strap and bag come together.
Agreed, nothing wrong with one single motion through the arm to put on/take off a sling. Buckles on sling straps feel like misguided added cost addition for worse products.

I don't have any experience with the Fidlock but I'm guessing the straps are held together with a magnet rather than just the usual bulky plastic clip?

I plan on wearing it across my back but occasionally my front, so would tightening the straps to fit snugly across my back/chest make disengaging the clip harder?

Thanks!
Fidlock is indeed magnetic; two pieces, wherein there's a bit of a pushing them in together motion to separate, so wearing the strap tighter across your body should make it more difficult to disengage.
Watch beginning ~2:50 mark of this review for a quick demonstration; comes apart in a very easy fluid motion, which isn't very appropriate for a sling in my opinion.

View: https://youtu.be/-A2NAn2BaOw
Great sling in the vid for example but wouldn't work well I think if you intend to mainly wear on the back.

Edit: see in earlier comment you're looking at Aer City 2, which would place the fidlock in front when wearing on the back. Shouldn't be too much of a problem!

Last edited:

Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I still have a messenger sling bag (crumpler) from when they were hip in the middle to late 2000s, because that was the last time I was hip (other telltale signs I'm an old: superdry shirts and skinny jeans).

I'm not going to wear those fanny packs in the OP though, I don't care if the alphas like to wear it ironically, that's clearly a fanny pack and I ain't doing it. (Although they definitely look better than those murses you also see every now and then)

Would be nice if they gradually became bigger to carry laptops and stuff, so my messenger bag swung back into fashion though.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Normally nah. The ones I do have I use as a camera bag wrapped around my front because it's smaller/more convenient than a "proper"camera bag and easier to get to when I wanna quickly take a shot or put stuff away.

GoutPatrol

Oct 30, 2017
Uh, which one? How do you like it, just ordered an elements backpack and modular phone sling?
I think it is the "BRAVO X SLING V2"

In my usual day now, I'm carrying with me a extra battery, a Kobo Libra 2, an (not that big) umbrella, and assorted knick knacks. Without the umbrella there is alot more space. I think it could fit a Switch Lite in there, I've been able to put my Vita, umbrella, and Kobo in there but it was pretty packed.

ɣGammaɣ

Oct 26, 2017
the middle of the woods
I think it is the "BRAVO X SLING V2"

In my usual day now, I'm carrying with me a extra battery, a Kobo Libra 2, an (not that big) umbrella, and assorted knick knacks. Without the umbrella there is alot more space. I think it could fit a Switch Lite in there, I've been able to put my Vita, umbrella, and Kobo in there but it was pretty packed.

Looks good, think the whole brand looks premium. Crazy how much you fit in there.

Oct 25, 2017
I have a Bellroy sling (used to have an Aer and Topo Designs ones before this).
bellroy.com

Venture Sling 9L | Large crossbody bag for all-day adventure | Bellroy

An extra capacity sling built for all-day adventure, with plenty of pocket organization, and a focus on easy access.

I love it. Holds all my everyday stuff, I just grab it and my water bottle when I leave the house and toss it in my car. I don't like things in my pockets, in general.

And guys, you wear them in the front when you are in crowds, public transport, or tight areas. So it's harder to steal your shit and the bag is not swinging around on your back, into people.

If lived in a city with public transport and I had no car, my everyday carry bag with be my timbuk2 messenger bag, so I can carry around water and purchases. Or might get like an Evergoods Civic backpack, though I don't really like backpacks.

tried a bellroy and just didnt like how it fit and felt, a little too stiff. ive been super happy with my code of bell x pod

www.codeofbell.com

X-POD II - Sling Pack (S)

Do you carry your laptop wherever you go? Other than going to work, school or to a coffee shop, for all other occasions the answer may be no. All you really need on a daily basis may just be your smartphone, keys, perhaps a water bottle and your wallet. So why haul a backpack wherever and...

coolasj19

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, Texas

I did feel like I'm someone that's "Too cool" to wear a sling bag when I'm carrying my giant ass backpack just to move my Switch around on the off chance I decide to play it. It felt kinda dumb for a decently long time but at some point being able to carry my Switch, AirPods, card and phone on my bag instead of in my pockets weighing me down, the convenience eclipsed the look. And now I like the look. It's absurdly useful riding a bike too. I get to actually wear workout pants and carry my chunky boy of a Max iPhone.

Y'all judge, I'm carrying around my breakfast and all my daily tech in my bag on my back (or front, cause of sitting in a bus) and it's pure bliss.

Using a Belroy Mini atm

Also, the banter in this thread is amazing, keep it up

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
sling backpacks are useful for when i don't feel like lugging around my giant travel backpack. if i'm going across town on a train id rather take something small that can carry my keys, a manga to read, coins, and my headphones.

sling bag - small travel
big backpack - traveling across country
laptop bag - for work only

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
50714534_006_b
A couple years ago I got this bag from a game of White Elephant.

It's a woman's bag, but I've actually worn it as a fanny pack on several occasions. It's just really convenient. I suffer from chronic migraines so I really need my medicine everywhere I go, and this just works for me. It doesn't fit in my pocket unless I bring only one pill, and if I do that I'll inevitably forget about it and wash it with my clothes or something.

Aside from that, I never knew about wearing it across the body like that.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I like canvas messenger bags for work. Leather bags look nice but are too heavy to lug around. My current bag is a Collins Brenthaven that is probably 5+ years old.

And when I fly or go on a long trip I rock the same LL Bean backpack that I have been using for the past 25+ years.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
(used to have an Aer and Topo Designs ones before this).

What model did you have from Topo Designs, and would you still recommend it?

I live in the city where Topo Designs started so I have bought a few of their products as kind of a local pride thing, and I've been eyeballing their Quick Pack as a fan of their stuff, but I feel like with the "smaller" form factor, the typical Topo Designs look of "straps hanging off everywhere" looks a bit excessive for that bag...

That said, local pride angle keeps kind of overriding my criticisms and I keep gravitating toward buying one. I love my Rover Pack and my Heritage Canvas Commuter Briefcase (just got this one for my birthday a couple of months ago -- best bag I've ever owned personally) from them, too.

Oct 27, 2017
I find the "bag ensemble" bit funny in the title. I mean seriously, that's like asking me about my car ensemble, refrigerator ensemble or vacuum ensemble. I got a single backpack, mainly used for hiking. Why I'd ever need an ensemble of them is beyond me.

Hud Hastings

Jul 1, 2018
I impulse-bought a no-brand canvas cross-body bag about 8 years ago and it gets daily use in the summer months. Too hot to wear anything but shorts, so everything but my phone goes into the bag. I'm going to lose my mind finding a replacement when it finally gives up the ghost on me, lol.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
If all I needed to carry was a water bottle and a phone charger, I'd go for one. But even the modest amount of stuff I do carry -- usbc cable, lightning cable, smartwatch cable, two bricks, lotion, controller for when I'm bored and want to play games, writing instruments, lotion, hand sanitizer -- would be too much for one of those bags. Not to mention that sometimes I'll either have a spare outfit/my work uniform in it depending on the day.

I have this Nike bag.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
What model did you have from Topo Designs, and would you still recommend it?

I live in the city where Topo Designs started so I have bought a few of their products as kind of a local pride thing, and I've been eyeballing their Quick Pack as a fan of their stuff, but I feel like with the "smaller" form factor, the typical Topo Designs look of "straps hanging off everywhere" looks a bit excessive for that bag...

That said, local pride angle keeps kind of overriding my criticisms and I keep gravitating toward buying one. I love my Rover Pack and my Heritage Canvas Commuter Briefcase (just got this one for my birthday a couple of months ago -- best bag I've ever owned personally) from them, too.

I got the block bag, which I guess they don't sell anymore. I have an all black one.
youtu.be

Topo Designs Block Bag

Exploring new cities (or running errands in town) requires a good place to hold your must-haves. Enter the Block Bag. This dimensional bag boasts slip pocket...

I would recommend it, but depends what you want to carry around. It has external mesh pockets and the compression straps at the bottom, which was great for me, to put temporarily wet things, like micro fiber towels.

I will say, the strap width is kinda thin and there is no strap stay on the dangling excess (minor issue). The zipper pulls are huge and bright though, which is a topo thing I guess, lol. I usually don't like topo design atheistic though. This one ain't too 'straps everywhere" imo.

I liked it though. It's a tad boxy/square but everyone has different tastes. I moved to the Bellroy sling cause I wanted more room and a more rectangular shape. I do wish the bellroy had external mesh pockets and bottom straps though, which is a bummer.

Last edited:

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I saw someone in person wearing something like this yesterday, they looked super cool. I wouldn't mind getting something like this myself.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
got my first one a couple of weeks ago. It's been great, I'm always on the go, hitting up comedy shows and I go out dancing all the time. Very handy

Will be using one for a boat party I'm hitting up tonight

bbg_g

Jun 21, 2020
Yep these are extremely useful and great for carrying stuff. It's pretty common to see people with these outside of america.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
even as a teen (20+ years ago) I never understood the hate for fanny packs. Only the name just sounds silly. anyway, by the time I reached the age where I needed stuff to bring with me all the time is the time I stopped travelling outdoors and no longer had the need for these. maybe someday.

So probably one of the best things about Aer being based out of SF is that I too live in the Bay Area. Ordered my City Sling 2 X-PAC yesterday around 10am and it shipped out less than 2 hours later via UPS. Just received my bag today which is really cool and the bag is the perfect size for me.

Also to allay my fears about the Fidlock, which I can see why there are concerns about it being easy to release, the lock is just right at the base of my neck when I wear the bag in front. Obviously if I wear the bag on my back, the lock is just below my collarbone.

Really excited about the bag as it's just the size I was truly looking for.

2lnh3Yz.jpg

dPCSzTt.jpg

Last edited:

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
I think im going to go with the peak design field pouch v2 in black since its just big enough for my x100v and has support for the PD capture clip

construct

Jun 5, 2020
東京
I checked out the peak design field sling v2 and its a lot smaller in real life, I don't love the look of it, and the strap seems uncomfy because of how thin it is

I also tried the bellow sling and sling mini. I love the way it looks and the size of both, but the way the straps connect to the bag and come out of the front instead of the back is questionable. I want to try the venture 9L and the lite sling

I checked out the peak design field sling v2 and its a lot smaller in real life, I don't love the look of it, and the strap seems uncomfy because of how thin it is

I also tried the bellow sling and sling mini. I love the way it looks and the size of both, but the way the straps connect to the bag and come out of the front instead of the back is questionable. I want to try the venture 9L

I did actually consider the Peak Design sling but again, the strap was too thin for my liking and again, it was bigger than I've been wanting. There's also a Topo Design bag that I did like too, but it was difficult to get it to sit in a position that I'd have liked due to the straps actually being too long.

I ended up going with the Aer City Sling 2 because the profile was exactly what I was looking for/needing in a sling. It's not trying to be a messenger bag but it holds a good amount of stuff without being bulky. It even hold my Switch OLED with room to spare.

Aer Sling Bags

construct

Jun 5, 2020
東京
I did actually consider the Peak Design sling but again, the strap was too thin for my liking and again, it was bigger than I've been wanting. There's also a Topo Design bag that I did like too, but it was difficult to get it to sit in a position that I'd have liked due to the straps actually being too long.

I ended up going with the Aer City Sling 2 because the profile was exactly what I was looking for/needing in a sling. It's not trying to be a messenger bag but it holds a good amount of stuff without being bulky. It even hold my Switch OLED with room to spare.

Aer Sling Bags
had I planned my day better I would have gone to the Aer store in SF

Oct 25, 2017
I hate keeping my keys in my pockets with my wallet or phone so a bag like that is nice sometimes when I don't have enough stuff to need a backpack.