• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Have you made up your mind?

• Yes, Xbox

Votes: 440 11.7%
  • Yes, PS5

Votes: 1,837 48.8%
  • No, still waiting

Votes: 326 8.7%
  • Not getting either at launch

Votes: 836 22.2%
  • Getting both at launch

Votes: 328 8.7%

• Total voters

Wetalo

Feb 9, 2018
Don't think I'll get a system at launch, but PS5 appeals to me way more.

Maybe I'll just grab it at launch though, might be worth it. I'm moreso interested in PSVR2 then anything else. I imagine that'll launch fall 2021, so maybe I can pick up the console this year and the headset next year.

Bastos

Oct 25, 2017
Easier than ever.

A console with no exclusives X PS5

I already have a great PC, no need for a Xbox.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know about "at launch", but I'm getting both anyway so this isn't costing me any sleep.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Console buying decision has never been easier this time around. PS5 day 1. Xbox eventually (if there are enough incentives for people who also have a PC).

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
None whatsoever, Xbox hasn't been appealing to me post 360 and I can play all the exclusives on PC now anyway.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Not at all. PS5 for the exclusives, friends, and mainly for the backwards compatibility. Not buying my backlog again (even if only a fraction of it is supported in the worst case scenario). Also, can't even consider an Xbox until FFXIV is on the platform. That being said, I might not be getting a PS5 at launch depending on the price and when XIV is ported over.

Flayer

Oct 28, 2017
Getting a PS5 at launch, it's guaranteed to be at least decent. Not falling for Microsoft hot air again.

Been playing a few online games recently too on the PS4 so would like to keep progress if possible.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
No. I go where the franchises, etc., I like are. At the moment that is PS5. Completely possible I will get an XSX at some point, but yeah.

Castia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ps5 for me.

I'm a PC gamer that didn't have a PS4 so I've got lots of games to catch up on, I'm waiting for pre orders because I'm in day 1.

I had a Xbox one X and it's a very impressive machine. Gamepass is next level brilliant and I'm eager to see the rumoured series S to use as a gamepass machine on the TV.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Xbox at launch. PS5 eventually.

Xbox always gets me with services. Sony eventually convince me with exclusives, but they always take ages.

The barrier to entry into Xbox next gen is so low. The premise behind their vision is very exciting to me as well.

And damn, I hate the way PS5 looks.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
PS5 all the way. Any exclusive I want from XBOX I can probably get on PC, maybe need to upgrade it though.

Faith

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm not torn at all, I'm getting neither. Given my current life situation there are far more important things for me to think about.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Yes and no. I am 99% certain I will be getting a PS5 at launch unless some out of the world blunder happens between now and then. It's my primary ecosystem and am super interested in Miles Morales. My biggest question mark on PS5 is which model to get.

Xbox for me is much more unknown. I love their focus on BC and am excited to see a bigger blow out on their enhancements and which titles may be improved around launch. I'm also interested in seeing their launch titles and something like the rumored Perfect Dark would heavily push me into jumping in at launch. That said, I currently own a One X, and depending on how Series X games scale down, I might be content just hanging on to that and buying a Series X next summer or holiday.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I much prefer the UI and the way that Microsoft operate, but I can't say no to Spider-Man and whatever Naughty Dog do next.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
I'm going with PS5, no questions asked. Not at launch tho. I'll be getting it somewhat 6 months later. I hope.

I'll probably get Lockhart or something like it later on.

Deleted member 62078

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 12, 2019
At this point I'm inclined to stay with Sony: my digital library on PSN has gotten pretty big, it seems like they'll be iterating on PSVR (or they're at least continuing to support the current headset), and I have a fairly competent PC for any MS titles I really want.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Already have a gaming pc so the choice was basically made for me. Not very hard at all for some people.

oRuin

Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap at them votes! Although no surprise with the popularity of PlayStation world wide.
I'm gonna stick with a setup of PC/Switch and add a PS5 to it. Love the exclusives, love the Japanese support, and it's controller looks sweet.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
PS5 at launch and I got a great PC with a long sub to Gamepass so I'm good. What do I need an Xbox for?

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
XBox isn't really much of an option considering where I live and my choice of favorite type of games(most of what I played this generation are Japanese games, and my most played genre is fighting games).

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why buy a console at launch when there will be only 1-2 interesting game but will take over a year to get enough exclusive to be worth it ?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
What's your strategy formdifxhing the old consoles? I'm thinking after ghosts of Tsushima to try and get an ok price. My Xbox has already been 'adopted' by my son so that's not sellable

Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty set on getting a PS5 at launch. What's tearing me up is if I'll actually be able to get one at launch. I know that scalpers are ready to pounce.

Aug 12, 2019
I've got so much to play that I don't really care about the next console, especially if it's coming in at a higher price point with higher priced games in an already uncertain time. Plus, I already bought into the PS4 hype this generation at launch and I just don't really need to do it again I guess.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
A console at launch is just a terrible buy, the best case you are still buying it at the worst point to buy it (most expensive with the fewest worthwhile games) and have to actually put some effort in for that honor. This gen was the last I bother with that.
I'd argue the point of buying a console early and why it's so expensive early, is because you're saving money every year you have/use it. Like, my MacBook cost me 1K. But i have had that for 5 years. At this point it didn't cost 1k. I just woke up so my writing isn't great. But cost goes down the longer something is owned and used

Cocksman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I find it pretty interesting that PS5 has THAT much of a lead over Xbox on a gaming forum.

RhaZo

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, SP - Brazil
I have 3 years of Gamepass left and Xbox seem the way to get the better experience in multiplatform games. Eventually I will get a PS5, but only when some huge AAA First Party Exclusive hit my heart.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
I'm totally open to either. I'm leaning hard towards PS5 at the moment but that's because this gen I went PS4 and I've actually seen first party PS5 games. The gen before that I was on the 360 and had assumed I'd be buying an Xbox One.

I'll probably just go for whichever has the best launch lineup, if either, and pick up the other if and when there's a killer app on it. I think a new Fable would be hard to turn down.

Scanna

Nov 27, 2017
I'm in a weird situation. I'm definitely more invested in the Xbox ecosystem and would want to get a Series X before a PS5 theoretically (even if I'm going to end up owning both in a year or so), what with having Game Pass for two years and not needing then to buy any game at launch (maybe something third party, dunno).
But at the moment I own a Xbox One X which is serving me pretty fine and a base PS4: most first party games are going to cross-gen so I'm legitimately inching towards PS5 for starters, keeping my One X to play Halo and the rest of the stuff, even if the launch line-up of PS so far hasn't done a lot for me (except for Deathloop). I will though wait to see release dates, prices and how big of a difference there's going to be in titles such as Infinite (my priority for this year) between One X and Series X before deciding. If the games will run without too many compromises on the One X, I'll keep it for another year and start my next-gen with PS5, where I also have to play some stuff like God of War and Spider-Man that I left behind.

Oct 26, 2017
Virginia, US
I am getting both at launch. I have about $900 worth of GameStop credit. I will use the XSX for backwards compatibility since I have Xbox 360 games I still own, multiplatform games since the XSX is more powerful than PS5, Xbox exclusives like Halo Infinite and Forza, and gamepass. The PS5 I will get for PlayStation exclusives and PS4 backwards compatibility. I think both consoles look great. Microsoft has really improved throughout this generation with Gamepass and Xbox One X. PlayStation still has the exclusives as well as Japanese games that are exclusive to PlayStation.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
At this time, I'm not getting PS5 day 1. Most likely within 6 months after. And I'm not buying Xbox at all. I don't care for anything they have done, game wise, I dislike their controller design and their ultimate ace aka game pass does not make owning their platform appealing, not even a little bit.