• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Best gyro

• DS4

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • DualSense

Votes: 92 37.9%
  • Switch Pro/Joycons

Votes: 102 42.0%
  • Steam

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • SN30 Pro+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • All look same

Votes: 24 9.9%

• Total voters

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
That is - if one were to have DS4, DualSense, Switch, SN30 Pro+, Steam, etc. controllers set up and normalized for sensitivity, are any of them better in terms of the following?
  • polling rate
  • lag
  • calibration/precision
  • drift
  • haptics
  • secret sauce

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm tempted to say no and vote for Switch based on vague feelings, however the quality of the gyro implementation also varies wildly between games, so its hard for me to separate which problems are gyro hardware based and which are software based.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
100% thought this was about Greek sandwich meat.

The Switch has had the best integration I've seen, but I also haven't tried all available options.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The PlayStation gyroscopes are the best, especially the DualSense. The Switch's gyroscopes only poll at 60Hz, while the DualSense can poll at 250Hz (& possibly 500Hz going by some readings) before overclocking.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I like them with Tzatziki

Switch is the best imo haven't used dualsense tho

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm tempted to say no and vote for Switch based on vague feelings, however the quality of the gyro implementation also varies wildly between games, so its hard for me to separate which problems are gyro hardware based and which are software based.
100% thought this was about Greek sandwich meat.

The Switch has had the best integration I've seen, but I also haven't tried all available options.
The Switch's gyroscope is technologically inferior to what Sony has. A 60Hz polling rate is fine for the Switch, but it's not the best choice for PC gyro usage competitively. I'm honestly not sure why everyone is voting Switch.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
The Switch's gyroscope is technologically inferior to what Sony has. A 60Hz polling rate is fine for the Switch, but it's not the best choice for PC gyro usage competitively. I'm honestly not sure why everyone is voting Switch.
It's due to software. Splatoon & BotW are some of the only AAA games I've seen where gyro aiming is treated as the default.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Pork gyros are the OG, beef/lamb pressed meat is garbage that nobody in Greece eats.

Now that that's out of the way, I remember the PlayStation Move gyros working really well.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
PS4 and Switch Pro (including Power A controllers) feel basically identical to me and are both great. Steam controller is a little less sensitive but that can easily be compensated for. Joy-Con are also pretty good and being split controllers makes them feel the best but I haven't used them in a while cause all of mine have drift.

Oct 27, 2017
The DualShock 4 polls at 60Hz via Bluetooth & 250Hz when wired.

Linus consulted JibbSmart (one of the top guys regarding gyro as well as the creator of flick stick) for the video.

Well it depends if this is a HW or software thread. If this thread about HW, then that's not entirely accurate. That's the rate the controller reports readings. The sensors poll much higher
github.com

GitHub - dekuNukem/Nintendo_Switch_Reverse_Engineering: A look at inner workings of Joycon and Nintendo Switch

A look at inner workings of Joycon and Nintendo Switch - dekuNukem/Nintendo_Switch_Reverse_Engineering
The Joy-Con then polls LSM6DS3 every 1.35ms(740Hz) for both accelerometer and gyroscope data in all axises, totaling 12 bytes(6 axises, each axis 2 bytes).

Since the Joy-Con polls MEMS data every 1.35ms but only send out controller update every 15ms, there might be some internal averaging to smooth out the data, needs to go through the numbers to find out.

github.com

GitHub - JibbSmart/JoyShockLibrary: Read DualSense, DualShock 4, JoyCon, and Pro Controller input on PC -- compiled for Windows, but code should work on other platforms.

Read DualSense, DualShock 4, JoyCon, and Pro Controller input on PC -- compiled for Windows, but code should work on other platforms. - JibbSmart/JoyShockLibrary
The Nintendo devices report every 15ms, but their IMUs actually report every 5ms. Every 15ms report includes the last 3 gyro and accelerometer reports.

But again, I don't know if OP meant to ask which actually has the best HW or which has the best...implementation for devs?

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
They most definetely are not.

CiWd_KCWgAAzK5-.jpg

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
It's weird because I feel like at times skyward sword feels like it has better gyro than breath of the wild, and I also think that Splatoon 1 has better gyro than Splatoon 2. So I don't know if the Wii u gamepad for example has better gyro than the switch pro controller/joy cons.

At the same time I'm guessing ring fit Adventure primarily relies on the gyro and it works pretty well for the most part. There's a discrepancy between the hardware and gyro implementation in games.

It's really good in Astros playroom though.

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
Supposedly Dualsense has the better sensor, but honestly I don't feel much difference playing on PC with the Pro Controller, DS4 or DS5.

and I also think that Splatoon 1 has better gyro than Splatoon 2. So I don't know if the Wii u gamepad for example has better gyro than the switch pro controller/joy cons.

I don't know if we ever found out how differently the gamepad and joycon/ProCon sensors behave, but since the gamepad is larger, your muscle memory can make playing with other controllers feel off.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine any hardware differences would be too small to notice but software differences can be very noticeable. Form factors play a role but I don't know if there are any I would say that are better or worse than others, just different. For example I prefer using the Switch pro controller for games with gyro controls now but early in the Switch's life I played a lot with split joy cons. Once I got the pro controller it took a while to get as comfortable with it as I was with the split joycons
It's weird because I feel like at times skyward sword feels like it has better gyro than breath of the wild, and I also think that Splatoon 1 has better gyro than Splatoon 2. So I don't know if the Wii u gamepad for example has better gyro than the switch pro controller/joy cons.

At the same time I'm guessing ring fit Adventure primarily relies on the gyro and it works pretty well for the most part. There's a discrepancy between the hardware and gyro implementation in games.

It's really good in Astros playroom though.
Splatoon 2 doubled the input lag on motion controls, along with introducing more input lag on everything and running multiplayer at a significantly lower tick rate. They never improved it after the game came out and it remains one of the biggest blemishes against the game.

Alex3190

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Thought this thread was posted on the wrong side.

Switch has best software so far for gyro. I figure dualsense will pass it eventually.

Nerrel

Oct 31, 2017
I tried to look into this for a video and found what I think (based on teardowns, emulator github pages, and whatever random info I could find online) are the gyros used by the Dualshock 4, the Switch pro/joycon, and the Steam controller.

I have no idea how to interpret any of that data, but the Steam controller cursor was much less sensitive by default (using the same Steam config settings for all 3) and consistently performed a little worse for me in Aimlab than the DS4 or Switch Pro. The DS4 had the highest scores by a hair (Steam averaged 38,000, Switch Pro was 39,500 and DS4 was 40,000). It's hard to pin the difference on the sensors when it could also be the controller shape, weight and trigger pulls making the difference.

I don't think anyone has confirmed what the Dualsense is using yet but based on the ifixit teardown someone suggested the TDK ICM 40608:

Maybe some smart person with a math brain can say what the different numbers and squiggly shapes on these pages mean.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
There was actually specs released on them iirc. I forgot the video where the person looked into them, but apparently at the time DS4 had better response, Steam Controller's was pretty low end. This was before Dual Sense.

I think it was probably a JibbSmart video (Flick Stick, JoyShockMapper creator). They post here sometimes so maybe this thread will get their attention and bring the stats here.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Dualsense literally has the best Gyro tech in any controller... Like objectively. It's like comparing an Index to PSVR. Don't really know what else to add. Would be funny if the switch won the poll based on nothing tho

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, I would've watched that video in my queue already if he didn't use terrible titles (and thumbnails).
Hah I do that too, avoid his videos because of the thumbnails and click bait titles. He mentioned he has to do them, they do much better to draw in clicks. The colorful and meme looking thumbnails draw the eye. They did a lot of research on this.

Aug 9, 2020
My first impressions with the Switch's gyro was in BOTW, and wow, was that shrine awful. I figured it was mostly a tech issue with the joy con's gyro

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Cool, which are you preferring to use now?

I did just install DS4W and see that I get a choice up to 1000hz but it may just put all the choices in the UI.
DualSense for sure. As for you, that may just be the settings. But it wouldn't surprise me if the Pro Controller could also be overclocked.