• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FairyEmpire Brad on the Bombcast spoke to the devs about this, as it is using the (now fairly old) Source engine. They said getting the map as big as it was, and getting up to 60 players, was as far as they could push it. Anecdotally they said they spent as much time getting those player counts to work, as they did on the rest of the game combined.

It made it sound like anything beyond 60 was very unlikely.

Sounds fine by me, the game is fun as is, I don't see more teams as a necessity. Given how the game focuses on teamwork far more than something like Fortnite, I've seen far more final two circles with many teams alive, still, whereas there's usually <10 players left in the last 3-4 circles over there or on PUBG. It's very fun and balanced as it is, but I was wondering if they planned to increase numbers, like Blackout did (it started with 80 I think, at one point also had like 120). Don't mind if they don't, the map could get quite hectic with twice as many players.

Deleted member 47076

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
I got placed on a Champion squad last night with two clearly high level players, so I decided to play support role. Ended up with 3 respawns, 3 revives, 2 kills, and I imagine a few assists but we died with 3 squads left. Our team had 14 combined kills. Closest I've come to winning a match.

Getting a little better though, getting a better feel for the weapons and how firefights flow. Still a mixed bag on playing solo with matchmaking, I feel like I can waste a half hour getting dud teammates.

Yeah this morning I felt like an hour of my time was wasted by only getting dud teammates. Maybe I could talk some irl friends into playing this game but idk... wish there was a solo mode.

Nov 1, 2017
Are a lot of those folks like myself that aren't really good at BR games enjoying this? The anecdotal internet consensus I'm seeing says its a lot of fun for the rest of us that suck at shooters and/or BR games.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad I got an early win because as players get better I feel like it's becoming less and less likely I'll get another.

This is how Fortnite worked with me, in like December 2017 we were winning at least once a night, by the end of 2018 I just quit because I couldn't keep up with the crazy building strategies and higher skill level. I feel like Apex is a little more raw in the sense that you don't need that extra building skill level so I think I can stay competitive longer once I get a feel for weapons and abilities.

Are a lot of those folks like myself that aren't really good at BR games enjoying this? The anecdotal internet consensus I'm seeing says its a lot of fun for the rest of us that suck at shooters and/or BR games.

Not having to have that building mechanic from Fortnite is a world of a difference for me. It just complicated firefights so much trying to switch between building and shooting and positioning. This'll appeal to the FPS shooter crowd more as it's a more level playing field in that you just have to be somewhat competent at shooters. Everyone can point and pull the trigger, a lot of people struggle with the rapid button combinations required in building. I haven't been getting pissed that someone insta builds a giant tower, flanks me, and then shotguns me.

That and overall the matches seem much faster paced but the TTK is fair. I felt like I could run around for 20 minutes in Fortnite, not see a soul, and then get mowed down in an instant by someone I never saw, felt like a big waste of time. At least in this if someone is firing at me I can attempt to regroup.

BIG JODY

Nov 21, 2018
Got 3 wins last night... all from the circle. People underestimating the circle dps at the end of the game apparently.

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017
KingRichard is absolutely tearing this shit up on Twitch right now. Like 4 in a row right now.
Sure4, Big Goose and Shaz from OW Gladiators were playing last night and they basically won every match. Sure4 flanked every time. This game rewards aggressiveness more than anything. It was an eye opener and really contrast to my more defensive play style. So this morning I played a few and tried flanking every time and it was working out.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'm a little confused. How come sometimes my shields are represented by two grey bars, and othertimes it's purple? I try to use shield items but it says I don't have shields? I thought that's what the item is for! Haha.

The shield items recharge shield, but you need to have a shield first. Shields are the body armor-looking pickups and come in three colors (grey, blue, purple), each one giving you more shield than the previous. The shield items you're trying to use will re-fill those shields after you've taken damage.

Creatchee

Oct 26, 2017
Sarasota, Florida

I was good at PUBG and mediocre at Blackout. I'm pretty terrible at Apex but I'm having a load of fun. My one friend that has had shooter fatigue for the past three years has been playing it with me and loving it too, which might be part of the enjoyment factor.

It is definitely a very good game - just needs some tweaks (the armor is frustrating to me).

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Is it just me or is Banalore's Ult kind of bad? It's only really effective late game if the circle is in an open area or if you need to funnel a team into a building.

Oct 25, 2017
This is how Fortnite worked with me, in like December 2017 we were winning at least once a night, by the end of 2018 I just quit because I couldn't keep up with the crazy building strategies and higher skill level. I feel like Apex is a little more raw in the sense that you don't need that extra building skill level so I think I can stay competitive longer once I get a feel for weapons and abilities.
The building always put me off of that game. I do think I'll get more wins in Apex for the reasons you mentioned. I'm not so terrible that I won't be able to close the deal given a fair chance.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Some matches seem to have a lag/stutter movement issue on Xbox One which affects everyone in the server (as far as I can tell) when it occurs. It doesn't stop once it's begun, but doesn't necessarily start at the beginning. It's not that common but it's happening every so often, gives your movement a whole weird juddery feel.

Not seen any chatter about it online, the subreddit seems to be mostly chitchat / memes as opposed to response to any issues or feedback from Respawn. Any others here ran into it?

FLUXCapacitor

Oct 25, 2017
Sure4, Big Goose and Shaz from OW Gladiators were playing last night and they basically won every match. Sure4 flanked every time. This game rewards aggressiveness more than anything. It was an eye opener and really contrast to my more defensive play style. So this morning I played a few and tried flanking every time and it was working out.

I can't wait till this game hits the eSports and competitive scene. Right now a lot of these big streamers are racking up wins pretty easily not only because they are good, but probably because the game is so new and people are still learning. It will be really fun to see high level players go head to head in this game.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Got first place 3 games in a row last night with a couple other wins. Two straight games as Champion Squad was pretty cool, and we got the profile badge for winning a match without anyone getting knocked.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some matches seem to have a lag/stutter movement issue on Xbox One which affects everyone in the server (as far as I can tell) when it occurs. It doesn't stop once it's begun, but doesn't necessarily start at the beginning. It's not that common but it's happening every so often, gives your movement a whole weird juddery feel.

Not seen any chatter about it online, the subreddit seems to be mostly chitchat / memes as opposed to response to any issues or feedback from Respawn. Any others here ran into it?

Yes, I saw that, but I couldn't tell whether others in the server had it or not for sure as I usually play with randoms with no voice chat. Once it was very likely since we were all trying to run towards the next circle and I started this wobbly lag thing. I was in front so I expected them to catch up on me and overtake me, but they kept on moving at my same speed. So yeah I think I saw that. I'm sure the servers are getting hammered hard right now, there's hundreds of thousands of players online at the same time.

Oct 25, 2017

I can confirm this happens on PC. Had it happen 3 times.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017

Maybe it changes you to another data center for some reason before the match? Haven't run into that issue but I'm on PC so it's probably different.

Can you manually change data center on consoles too?

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I just got out of gall bladder surgery. Didn't really have a chance to really dig in, one thing I do like is that they keep you together when you touch down. Or the option to do so. The shooting felt great too

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
Got my first win in a pretty anticlimactic way but a dub is a dub.

Im about lvl 14 and i think its safe to say this is my favorite Br game.

The gunplay is on point, the map feels pretty welll designed, all the characters feel usefull and meaninful on their own way, the movement of the game in general is pretty good and the game has so many QoL things to it that just make it feel just right.

I really think Respawn has a good thing on their hands and i hope they're on it when it comes to adding new content and keeping a steady stream of it coming ala fortnite.

My main wants from the game is the ability to lean while zoomed in and a 4man squad game mode.

Last edited:

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Gibraltar is the best legend. Being able to pull up a shield is so useful.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
extremely agreed on this game rewarding aggressiveness. i've had some wins/high placements with good pubbies where we didn't even have to communicate, we just deathballed up and slid directly onto enemies. felt very natural and fluid

i'm a flatline nut

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
What I really like about this game is that it doesn't give you the "hey, you gotta camp now" feeling. The only thing this game gives me is "hey truck, time to go hard down the hill" and I love it!

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
You can tell if a person is going to be a weak link by how they drop and the area they pick (or if they drop without picking an area).

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I really really hope they add custom controls sometime soon.
Fortnite has spoiled me when it comes to button mapping now that I feel like it should be standard.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
Has anyone else tried the Triple Take with the accuracy mod on it? That thing is such a beast, like a mini Kaber.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like Gibraltar is the best legend. Being able to pull up a shield is so useful.
Yeah, he's definitely good. His ult+shield is essentially a free revive during combat. Pair it with Lifeline's drone and you can get a whole team damage reset off quick mid-combat. I'd imagine he would make a crazy rescue team paired with Pathfinder too.

VoidPlot

Nov 1, 2017
I reached 250 kills with lifeline and have enough currency for one of the legends to get. Who should I buy ? I see a lot of mirages

benj

Oct 27, 2017
i think every legend is good, except maybe caustic, who i've never seen do a damn thing. it's way too easy to just not push a house he's in

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is this boosting trick you speak of?

It's a bit like Blackout, you need to gain speed by going downwards in order to be able to fly "horizontally" for larger distances. Say the plane is going on the side of the map, if you just press forward the whole time you can barely reach like half of the map. But start going down, then go in the direction you need, then when you are losing speed just go down again and gain some more momentum, and use it to fly towards your destination. If you do it right you'll be able to reach the other side of the map, or go close to it. Since there's plenty of people not aware this works like Blackout rather than something like Fortnite or PUBG, a lot of people fail to reach the farther areas, thus you've got decent chances of finding fairly calm places. Of course you could find the "wrong" match where there's actually a lot of good players which would make those distant locations more likely to be populated.

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
I reached 250 kills with lifeline and have enough currency for one of the legends to get. Who should I buy ? I see a lot of mirages
Mirage is fun but I'm not sure how good his abilities are. Decoy can be nice to try and bait some shots when looking a direction, but decoys in games kind of blow and his ultimate is nice for the invisibility but you can't do too much with it. On the otherside I haven't had any luck with Caustic's poison abilities yet. The damage doesn't seem to high and only seems effective in keeping people out of spaces which can be good.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Think Pathfinder is my favourite so far - the grapple physics are very exploitable in combat and the ziplines can really give your team positional advantage in fights.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
*shoots triple-take at long range targets*

Me: This gun is trash.

*kills 7 opponents in the midrange with it 2 minutes later including the game winning snipe*

Me: This gun is not trash.

Triple-Take tip: Think of this sniper rifle as a long range shotgun. Use it with a 4x scope or ideally no scope at all. Maybe a red dot sight or similar if it can be equipped on the gun. Fight targets at the range that machine guns and auto rifles want to fight at. Enjoy the utter destruction as you 2-shot them. The gun is not viable at all for long range trading. Don't even bother. Use one of the scouts or real sniper rifles for that.

Def buying the founder's pack. Game is too good.

Oct 28, 2017
I think people are giving Caustic too little credit. His gas shit blinds people quite well. I expect not many have been on the receiving end of his shit but its a bit of a windup with how long it lasts after exposure.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
I had someone drop and take a left turn without any decent. Looked like they took a left at a for way stop sign.

The drop boost can definitely get you across the match. It's great to get heavily looted up with no distractions and then move onto hot areas. Also breaking off before landing seems to give another boost to the descent.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had someone drop and take a left turn without any decent. Looked like they took a left at a for way stop sign.

The drop boost can definitely get you across the match. It's great to get heavily looted up with no distractions and then move onto hot areas. Also breaking off before landing seems to give another boost to the descent.

Yeah, unless you're a shooter god, dropping to less populated areas with good loot is definitely the best chance to stand come the final circles. You'll also be moving from the outside towards the circle, so chances are most enemies you find you'll be coming from their back, and rarely you'll have to watch behind you. It works more or less well in any BR. Perhaps a bit less in Fortnite because engaging in the chaos allows you to gear up and get tons of materials real quick - if you survive it, of course.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I fkn love this game

I ended up playing with my buddy who just got the game, it must have been his 3rd, 4th, 5th match maybe. Our other friend was only a little more experienced (level 6-7).

Had a fairly quiet time looting until we got pinned between 2 squads near Skulltown. I died. The other experienced guy died. And it was just our super newbie friend left in the middle of 2 squads having an ult filled firefight. I wrote off the match there, but he stayed in it by hiding behind a rock and waiting.

The two squads were still fighting right near our spawn banners and the timer was going down. With about 10-15 seconds to spare on our banners our newbie friend sneaks up to them, extracts our banners and got out without being seen.

We spawned in (somehow uncontested despite a small circle at this point) and did our best to pick up the leftover loot from already looted areas when we got jumped again. This time newbie and the other guy got knocked, and I had a flatline and a EVA with no reserve ammo. I somehow ended up killing all 3 of the squad that attacked us with like 3 bullets to spare. Felt like a god.

Fortunately they had great loot, including a yellow chest (finishing an enemy gives you shields back). With one squad left my team managed to kill one, distract another for me to down them, but taking off my entire shield and a bunch of health in the process. Took the risk and did the finish animation. Got the shield back, and outgunned the last guy.

CHAMPION

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
The cure to this is grasping the BR nirvana of understanding that nothing matters, no one cares, and everything is probably always your teammates' fault somewhat maybe but also likely definitely.
This is the first time I'm actually going to try to get into a BR game. Is this really true that people don't care? I mean I don't play like a jerk, I stick with the team, try to be useful, have a endgame MMORPG background (which is why I'm loving the class roles), and all that jazz.

I have played around 5 matches so far. When I get into a firefight I freak out since it hasn't happened much for me and I have little practice, which ends with me not hitting targets, or knowing how to approach the different legends and compositions. In my last game I managed to get one of my team mate's flag, and had to abandon saving the other, not knowing where the revive station were as I tried to stay alive. I eventually died after they tracked me down, but after seeing the stats 0 kills, 100s damage, no revive, etc. it felt like I let them down (I was the shield guy).

I wish there was a solo so I don't feel guilty, and I could practice encounters, and controls. I don't even think they have to turn off the skills. Just reduce the effectiveness, especially lifeline, for her support drops have it so 2 items are there instead of 4 I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.