• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Y'all ever find this asshole terrifying? I remember playing Sinistar as a kid and legitimately being stressed out when Sinistar showed up. That howl still kind of freaks me out.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, whoops. Wrong one

Sinister-2012.gif

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I don't think my local arcades had that, though I have heard of it.

My games at that time were Mr.Do!, Donkey Kong Jr, Amidar, Robotron and Xevious.

Pascal

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
I ain't that old, but I played this game on some arcade collection when I was younger. Sinstar scared the shit out of me. "RUN! RUN! RUN!" And that damn scream he would do as well lol.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who frequented arcades back then should have his voice burned into their brain.

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
The "Beware, I Live!" Followed by screaming as it sharks you from a diagonal within seconds is burned in my brain.

It's a fun game.

When I worked retail, my target clearanced a bunch of stand up arcades after Xmas, and the store GM bought the demo unit and stuck it in the break/lunch room. So we could play sinister, robotron, joust, and a couple others. But sinister above all others were what I played most

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
I love that game. Played it for the first time at a cinema (before watching Howard the Duck, of all films) when I was on holiday in the USA in 1986. I was immediately captivated by the titular character with its booming voice.
Years later I played the hell out of it on Midway Arcade Treasures and MAME. I hope it will be released on modern consoles (along with other Midway hits) someday.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I've heard of this game but never actually seen it.
Awesome voice, and holy shit at that scream! O_O It's so perfectly unexpected, out of place, and blood-curdlingly awesome! It would have been perfect if only they had a few variations of that scream instead of repeating the same sample over and over.
I can only imagine someone hearing this for the first time from a booming speaker of the arcade cabinet in 1982 - it probably would have felt like the cabinet was literally possessed by a demon.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still remember the first time I played it very well even though it was almost four decades ago. It was a lone arcade game in the hallway of a mall. When that thing came on the screen and started talking, it startled me good.

Katori

Oct 30, 2017
I am not old enough (29), but I heard of it through discussion on Penny Arcade and Giant Bomb as a preteen and thought it was a very cool and innovative game.

I still think there's juice to be squeezed from the Sinistar concept, it's a shame these IPs are left to rot.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can't say it ever had an effect on me.
Also, I knew someone who had a Sinistar arcade machine in his apartment.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
That feeling when you had an all night gaming sesh as a kid and as you fall asleep...

"BEWARE, I LIVE"

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
I HUNGER is right up there with BODY BLOW, BODY BLOW, KNOCKOUT for sounds I can picture blasting out of Aladdin's Castle.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't a fav so I didn't play it a lot, but it was loud as shit across the arcade, along with Black Knight. But yeah, he was creepy. Something about those voice samples was extremely unsettling.

davidnolan13

Oct 27, 2017
north east uk
My arcade never had it so never played it. I think it must of had everything except that.
But I do remember my arcade at the fair had the loudest space harrier machine. You could hear that thing a mile away everytime it went arghhh!

Wislizeni

Oct 27, 2017
I know them through pop culture references, and watching gameplay footage at some point. Does that make me a coward?

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
I had it on a Williams Arcade Collection on the SNES. The game was impossible and shit moved too fast for it to really be fun, but I would still load it up all the time because I loved the vocal samples and was amazed you could do that on an SNES.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
Loved Sinistar in the arcades. I didn't appreciate at the time what kind of magic Williams was working with their sound design, but I did know I'd never heard anything like them before.

I still remember being a little confused at how I, Robot worked. Graphics were either the lines of Asteroids/Tempest/Tailgunner/Tac-Scan, or little solid-art things I had no idea were called sprites. What kind of wizardry is this I, Robot game!?

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Yes, and at my local Putt-Putt Golf & Games the Sinistar cabinet volume was jacked up so no matter where you were you could hear "I hunger!" and his howls of rage. I was never good at the game though. It seemed pretty damn hard at the time.

Body Blow? What machine is that from?

Punch-Out!! arcade (and Super Punch-Out!! probably though I don't think I ever saw that cabinet in person)

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
Was one of my first gaming obsessions back in the day. I remember some older guy (older, ha! I was like 9 or 10. This older guy was probably 16, thinking about it now) trying to shoo me away from the cabinet because he wanted to play. But I was doing pretty good, and wasn't going to give up for him.

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Totally unique controller for that game too. The arcade stick has an optical joystick instead of the typical microswitches, so you had no clicking and much more fidelity in terms of movement direction, which you needed to outrun that damn thing. Was way ahead of its time.

Noting better than it hunting you down, screaming RUN! RUN! RUN! as you desperately tried to bomb it.

David Addison

Oct 28, 2017
Because you deserve only the hottest GeoCities content:
The Philisophical Revelations of Sinistar

------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the great, unrecognized, philisophical geniuses of this century or any other is a figure known by some as Sinistar. Sinistar left behind a legacy of seven phrases that encompass his minimalist philosophy. We are fortunate enough to have with us audio records of what he said, so that we may greater comprehend his intent.

Sinistar will always be an enigma, as nothing is known of his life. It seems as if he lived a life filled with motivation and direction, as if desperately yearning to accomplish all that he could, before he could be brought low by those who would destroy him. Sinistar's revelations follow, with an interpretation of their intent.

1. I am Sinistar. Here, Sinistar clearly makes two ideas known. First, that he exists; he is aware and he thinks. The second is that he has a singular identity. He is unique, and, in a sense, alone. Some have argued that this may imply a sense of self-determination, but Sinistar's perspective on the free will debate is unknown. I believe that, with what little is known about his life, Sinistar would be a determinist. People are destined to act out their lives guided by the hand of another force. The rest of us are mere automatons, carrying out algorithms.

2. I hunger. Again, Sinistar asserts his reality. He believes in a very real, physical, world and believes that he takes a part in it. Thus, Sinistar is essentially a monist. He hungers, therefore he has sense, and his senses speak to him of needs that must be fulfilled. He can trust his senses; something of a leap of faith, and therefore interact. There are two other interpretations that must be proposed here. Some have criticized Sinistar as a hedonist, attempting to consume all in his path. This is, however, clearly contradicted below. The second represents Sinistar as a living thing, and all living things must consume, or perish. In this statement, Sinistar acknowledges human mortality and our chain in the natural process of being.
et cetera et cetera et cetera

The punch line:
I greatly enjoyed your analysis! It was my own search for inner truth that inspired my quest to bring Sinistar's philosophy to the public.

Noah Falstein
(project leader on Sinistar)

catskratch

Oct 25, 2017
I am probably LTTP about this, but watching that video instantly made me think of how a lot of the bosses sound and act on Smash TV which was also by Williams. This is probably not a coincidence, but just something I never actually put together until today!