• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 30, 2017
I was looking to get the kids into something as they're three and a half, and there was a well regarded BJJ studio near me. I went myself for the first time to check it out on Thursday, and went back to train and took the kids this morning. I'm sore as heck.
Anyone on here do it? I'm 41 - am I too old for this shit?

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I practiced for about 6 months. You aren't too old, Jits is just a lot of fucking work lol. You will eventually adapt like with any exercise. You probably won't get used to mat burn though haha.

Getting your kids involved in martial arts is a fantastic idea both for their physical and mental health. Jits is a good choice.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
As long as you're wrasslin' with other 40-year-olds you'll probably be fine.

I took a semester of BJJ in college. Hell of a workout, and interesting learning the basics of how to handle yourself when a hypothetical fight inevitably ends up on the ground.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I practiced for a few years, along with other MMAs. No, you aren't to old to practice, have fun, exercise, etc. Yes, you are to old to get like professional or anything.

OP
OP
IlGialloMondadori
Oct 30, 2017
I practiced for a few years, along with other MMAs. No, you aren't to old to practice, have fun, exercise, etc. Yes, you are to old to get like professional or anything.
Hah, yeah, not looking to be a professional fighter, just practice regularly and learn the techniques, get fit, and have fun.
Knees are burned to hell haha.

OP
OP
IlGialloMondadori
Oct 30, 2017
I practiced for about 6 months. You aren't too old, Jits is just a lot of fucking work lol. You will eventually adapt like with any exercise. You probably won't get used to mat burn though haha.

Getting your kids involved in martial arts is a fantastic idea both for their physical and mental health. Jits is a good choice.
It's def a lot of damn work. Dude in his 20s rolled with me today and most people just chilled and were teaching me things as it's my second go, this dude just went hard. Was fun, but I was dead after.

Stove

Oct 27, 2017
Trained from 2013-2016 before study took over, have been back to 3-4 sessions a week for the last 6 months.

BJJ is the best.

You're definitely not too old. Just pace yourself! ;D

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
You'll be fine. You will be sore in places you didn't know you had, but it's a sign of progress. As long as you're not one of those dumb fuckers that are too proud to tap and think that you can old man strength yourself out of everything, no one cares how old or young you are or whether or not you're a newbie or the man of 1000 fights. It's a very trusting environment if you open your heart.

Also, take a damn shower and smell nice for your partner. Seriously... no one wants to roll with a smelly hog.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was looking to get the kids into something as they're three and a half, and there was a well regarded BJJ studio near me. I went myself for the first time to check it out on Thursday, and went back to train and took the kids this morning. I'm sore as heck.

Pretty sure Anthony Bourdain started BJJ well after his 40th

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
It's def a lot of damn work. Dude in his 20s rolled with me today and most people just chilled and were teaching me things as it's my second go, this dude just went hard. Was fun, but I was dead after.

The cool thing about jits is that you learn new shit every single day. Like there is an encyclopedia of techniques to discover, it is a bit daunting. I felt it took much longer to become proficient in jits than with muay thai. MT you learn to punch, kick, elbow, knee, and clinch. And that's it. Jits you need to learn how to move your damn body for a month first lmao.

Be careful with those guys who go too hard. I've rolled with some real asshats. If you go with someone who goes too hard don't go into any vulnerable positions, you never know what they will do to try and win. I am a small guy and I rolled with this big former wrestler, and I was able to take his back. This dumb shit tries to buck me off by rolling forward and spiking my head off the ground. I heard my neck crack. I was so pissed.

Most people are cool though haha. *hand slap, fist bump*

Blackjaw

Nov 21, 2017
I'm 38 with two kids and roll twice a week, usually a gi and no-gi. Just remember to stretch and pace yourself...I'm not trying to be a fighter, just stay in shape and have fun. BJJ will keep you mentally and physically sharp.

OP
OP
IlGialloMondadori
Oct 30, 2017
The cool thing about jits is that you learn new shit every single day. Like there is an encyclopedia of techniques to discover, it is a bit daunting. I felt it took much longer to become proficient in jits than with muay thai. MT you learn to punch, kick, elbow, knee, and clinch. And that's it. Jits you need to learn how to move your damn body for a month first lmao.

Be careful with those guys who go too hard. I've rolled with some real asshats. If you go with someone who goes too hard don't go into any vulnerable positions, you never know what they will do to try and win. I am a small guy and I rolled with this big former wrestler, and I was able to take his back. This dumb shit tries to buck me off by rolling forward and spiking my head off the ground. I heard my neck crack. I was so pissed.

Most people are cool though haha. *hand slap, fist bump*
Hahah re hand slap and bump. Love it.
yeah dude tried to put a choke on me, despite being told no submissions on whites and new people. I think he's probably kind of an asshat, but it was fun, for sure.

OP
OP
IlGialloMondadori
Oct 30, 2017
I'm 38 with two kids and roll twice a week, usually a gi and no-gi. Just remember to stretch and pace yourself...I'm not trying to be a fighter, just stay in shape and have fun. BJJ will keep you mentally and physically sharp.
Nice to hear! Yeah, twice a week is probably all I'll be able to manage with the schedule.
Also, nice slime - playing dqxis right now

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018

I do. Definitely not too old. Just make sure you stretch before and after. Just have fun and learn! Most people aren't competing anyway so no worries.

Hahah re hand slap and bump. Love it.
yeah dude tried to put a choke on me, despite being told no submissions on whites and new people. I think he's probably kind of an asshat, but it was fun, for sure.

Wait…No submissions on new people? That's odd. Now, going easy on new people and white belts is common but not trying to submit them isn't. How else will they learn? Now, a good training partner will choke you then explain what went wrong for you and how to defend it the next time. They'll also drill it with you if that's what you want. My very first class was back mount escapes and learning a rear-naked choke.

OP
OP
IlGialloMondadori
Oct 30, 2017
I do. Definitely not too old. Just make sure you stretch before and after. Just have fun and learn! Most people aren't competing anyway so no worries.

Wait…No submissions on new people? That's odd. Now, going easy on new people and white belts is common but not trying to submit them isn't. How else will they learn? Now, a good training partner will choke you then explain what went wrong for you and how to defend it the next time. They'll also drill it with you if that's what you want. My very first class was back mount escapes and learning a rear-naked choke.
I'm sure it'll happen. Yeah, first class was no post-class rolling, but this one had it. Dude got his black belt from Roger Gracie I guess.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
It's fun but as an overweight and tall dude in his 30s, it's kinda like getting hit by a truck. You never really get used to the truck.

It's been a few years since I've done it but my instructors would thrown in a few variants in the drills for the olds to help lessen the pressure on your knees.

The only weird things (well weird to me) that you'll have to get over were having to roll with teenagers and women. It'd always feel a little wrong pinning either of those categories in some kind of hold on the ground.

And just having your personal space bubble violated in general. BJJ isn't Tae Kwon Do and you'll be up against people's strange sweaty bodies on a regular basis.

The age thing was sort of an issue despite being at a fairly large gym in Houston. Most of the older folks are pretty advanced so you'll spend a lot more time with younger people.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
One thing I hated about it is I'm a big sweater so I felt bad for my opponents.

And even if your opponent isn't a sweater, they can still stink pretty bad. :-/

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Same, made it a goal to compete this year so I'm rolling at least 3 to 4 times a week and its fun.
Injuries happen, my left pinky is deformed thanks to getting caught in the gi but whatever. I stopped and restarted training a lot over the years (moves and injuries) but I always miss it and come back to it.
Just spend half an hour looking up LOOP CHOKES that I will try at the open roll tomorrow (no subs on whitebelts is weird)

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
One thing I hated about it is I'm a big sweater so I felt bad for my opponents.

Oh man it's terrible when a bigger guy gets a good top position and leans his weight on you and sweaty chest makes contact with face. Lmao.

You should just mother's milk everyone. Insta taps. Ez mode.

Blackjaw

Nov 21, 2017
Nice to hear! Yeah, twice a week is probably all I'll be able to manage with the schedule.
Also, nice slime - playing dqxis right now

Hell yeah man, I find with my sked two or three times a week just keeps me feeling good, more energy for the kids and I def sleep better.

Yes, I'm on a long flight for work and swapping between DQ and Witcher 3!! Love DQ, it's such a chill game.

Stove

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man it's terrible when a bigger guy gets a good top position and leans his weight on you and sweaty chest makes contact with face. Lmao.

You should just mother's milk everyone. Insta taps. Ez mode.

I felt awful when I was rolling with a new person. Showing something in half guard when a drop of sweat fell from my nose into their mouth.

You probably know this op but wash that gi after every session.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
That's the whole idea of choosing Martial arts as your sport. It's the best physical workout you can wish for. Personally loved Kickboxing and regret not having joined a gym much sooner in my life. My son is having a blast and it's great for his body and mind.

Deleted member 1659

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally, a thread where I can shine.

I have been doing BJJ for 14 years now. I got my black belt in 2016. There used to be a Community OT thread but it died and the OP who was maintaining it was banned. You can literally ask me any question about BJJ and I can answer it. My connections in the community run pretty deep and wide.

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017

I have been doing BJJ for 14 years now. I got my black belt in 2016. There used to be a Community OT thread but it died and the OP who was maintaining it was banned. You can literally ask me any question about BJJ and I can answer it. My connections in the community run pretty deep and wide.

Nice. I am a 40 year old three stripe purple belt, been training four or five times a week for the last seven and a half years. It's the best thing I've ever done in life.
We are expecting our first (probably only) child in April and while it's super exciting I am terrified about having to reduce my BJJ training. It gives me so much In terms of wellbeing, social life and confidence.
OP you are never too old - just don't go crazy and try to see it more as a game than a fight.

OP
OP
IlGialloMondadori
Oct 30, 2017

Nice!
what tips would you give a white belt in the early days? Any links or vids that would be valuable?

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
I'm 45 and train MMA. I only did wrestling for the first couple of years but have been doing jits and striking for almost ten years. I can spar striking for days and feel fine after it but a good roll and I definitely feel a little tired the next day.

As others have mentioned make sure to stretch and I if possible do some cardio.

Deleted member 1659

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice!
what tips would you give a white belt in the early days? Any links or vids that would be valuable?

- Since you're an older white belt, take time to stretch.
- Don't overwhelm yourself with fancy shit on YouTube right away.
- Focus on defense first. Most people don't develop offensive games until purple
- If you get tired, just play guard

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
About to start my 5th year in April. Im a pretty mediocre purple belt lol. The techniques really started to click this past year, physically, Im nowhere near close to my training partners but I can really help them trouble shoot moves and come up with new entries. Its the best.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
Yes for about 3 years now.
Our school has ramped up the no gi classes recently which I've been attending to more and more as I feel like it's more my jam.

We have a 51 year old blue belt there who started a few years ago with his 19 year old son. So no OP, you aren't too old.

Also at least in my case, the first 6 months were the toughest. I was injured all the time, my knees were aching so much and overall I felt like I might just quit. I pushed through and haven't had any pain or anything since. I guess my body just adapted.

OP
OP
IlGialloMondadori
Oct 30, 2017
Nice. I am a 40 year old three stripe purple belt, been training four or five times a week for the last seven and a half years. It's the best thing I've ever done in life.
We are expecting our first (probably only) child in April and while it's super exciting I am terrified about having to reduce my BJJ training. It gives me so much In terms of wellbeing, social life and confidence.
OP you are never too old - just don't go crazy and try to see it more as a game than a fight.
[/Q
- Since you're an older white belt, take time to stretch.
- Don't overwhelm yourself with fancy shit on YouTube right away.
- Focus on defense first. Most people don't develop offensive games until purple
- If you get tired, just play guard
thanks dude!
I started doing yoga a few times a week to assist in the flexibility. I actually pulled a muscle in my side last week, hurts like hell...
Sounds good!

OP
OP
IlGialloMondadori
Oct 30, 2017
Yes for about 3 years now.
Our school has ramped up the no gi classes recently which I've been attending to more and more as I feel like it's more my jam.

We have a 51 year old blue belt there who started a few years ago with his 19 year old son. So no OP, you aren't too old.

Also at least in my case, the first 6 months were the toughest. I was injured all the time, my knees were aching so much and overall I felt like I might just quit. I pushed through and haven't had any pain or anything since. I guess my body just adapted.
I've felt pretty good the last few sessions minus the side muscle injury, but that wasn't even at bjj. Since doing yoga and adding in three runs a week, I feel much better overall.
Still crap at Bjj, but enjoying it massively.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
First lesson done and had a blast.

Learnt some cool take downs from a head and collar tie up. Ridiculously simple but effective.

Sparred with another newbie and managed to get a triangle choke which I was so happy with but then sparred some more experienced dudes and got tied up.

Was setting myself little targets like from guard maintain it for 1 minute and from top try to not get sweeped for a minute.

It's all so strange having in your head what you want to try and do but not knowing how to do it. You think yes I can try for a wrist lock here and bang next second being chocked.

One dude was doing some fancy holds with me rolling all over the place.

Looking forward to next week. Is checking out youtube beginner videos worth it?

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
I can't speak for BJJ, but it is never too late to learn a martial art. 41 is a perfectly good age to do it. We have an 81 year old in my Wing Chun school who is on his green belt (Which is one above black in WC King Fu) and he is not stopping until he becomes a yellow/gold which is basically a master.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago

I am about to start at a BJJ, pretty excited, but what is your advice to someone that might take a really long time to remember moves and certain techniques?

Also, I'm pretty sure they are a no Go gym so will spats do just fine?

Deleted member 1659

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am about to start at a BJJ, pretty excited, but what is your advice to someone that might take a really long time to remember moves and certain techniques?

Also, I'm pretty sure they are a no Go gym so will spats do just fine?

Just spats are fine.

BJJ is probably one of the hardest things you'll ever commit yourself to learning. It's not just you, a lot of people take a long time to "get" it. It's not intuitive nor simple and there is a seemingly unlimited permutations of moves and sequences + you have to try and pull them off vs resisting opponents of various sizes. Do not feel intimidated or like a fraud just because you're slow to learn the sport. Everyone is slow to learn the sport. The belt system IMO gives people a warped sense of where they are:

White to Blue - These are beginner levels.

Purple - This is where your BJJ starts resembling actual BJJ. Not just physically but also mentally with how you process information.

Brown and Black - This is where you learn the most about the sport and your place in it.

On the topic of YouTube videos for beginners: It's difficult for me to recommend anything specific because when I was coming up, there was no YouTube and the early batches of YouTube BJJ videos were from actual frauds. There are guys you should seek out if you want some supplemental video instruction though:

Ryan Hall and John Danaher.

The problem? Their videos are behind a paywall and are wildly expensive.

Dec 24, 2017
Remember to bring your instructor a pineapple.

I'm sidelined with a herniated back. So it'll be 6 months before I can get back to the glorious snuggle struggle.

I am also an old who likes a bit of the South American Ground Karate.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Don't go in with wrong expectations. It's called the gentle art and celebrities like to post pictures with their fake belts on twitter, but its fighting, highly effective fighting, its going to hurt.

After your first session you might think you are too old but your body is just not used to someone sitting on your rib cage or knee sliding over your thighs, no matter your age.
Just don't give up, it gets better quickly, you will learn a lot and probably be in the best shape of your life after a few months.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
Ah, BJJ, I've started and stopped like three different times in as many years. I've never had a solid stretch of training due to injury and/or anxiety. I have some minor surgery coming up soonish so I'm hoping to make it back finally within the next few months.

I swear I hope I can make it stick this time. I'm older, not looking to really compete, I just want to better myself, lose some weight and learn a cool martial art. It's not doing me any good looking up my local gym's Instagram feed. They've blown up over the last couple years and the time slot I usually go in the evening is crowded as shit.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Just spats are fine.

BJJ is probably one of the hardest things you'll ever commit yourself to learning. It's not just you, a lot of people take a long time to "get" it. It's not intuitive nor simple and there is a seemingly unlimited permutations of moves and sequences + you have to try and pull them off vs resisting opponents of various sizes. Do not feel intimidated or like a fraud just because you're slow to learn the sport. Everyone is slow to learn the sport. The belt system IMO gives people a warped sense of where they are:

White to Blue - These are beginner levels.

Purple - This is where your BJJ starts resembling actual BJJ. Not just physically but also mentally with how you process information.

Brown and Black - This is where you learn the most about the sport and your place in it.

On the topic of YouTube videos for beginners: It's difficult for me to recommend anything specific because when I was coming up, there was no YouTube and the early batches of YouTube BJJ videos were from actual frauds. There are guys you should seek out if you want some supplemental video instruction though:

Ryan Hall and John Danaher.

The problem? Their videos are behind a paywall and are wildly expensive.
Tremendously helpful, thank you so much for the help.

kidnemo

Dec 11, 2017
Jiu-jitsu black belt here, 15 years of experience, have my own school.

Stylistically we never use closed guard, open only, lots of leglocks, with a bit of catch and sambo mixed in.

Also lol at the other guy above talking about there being no good videos back in the day, so true! We'd all get together to watch whatever new video someone bought, or all trade around a new book when it came out. When you heard about a new blue belt, it was a HUGE freaking deal... and a blackbelt?? it was years before I even saw my first one.

The access that we have to bjj information now (free or otherwise) is truly amazing!