• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
The info posted above is new to me and does change how I feel about it to a certain extent. My biggest take away though is still my personal experiences in resturant work where people would work sick all of the time. I cant really blame people for this, were talking about minimum wage (or close to it) pay so a lot of the workers are struggling just to get by.

J-Tils

Apr 2, 2020
I have supported local businesses , although it's its a tough way to make a living, Everyone helping makes a difference

NeonCarbon

Oct 28, 2017
My view is absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
There are still going to be low risks, especially while cooked food is transferred to containers and the packaging, however it's probably close to or lower than the risk of going to a grocery store (unless you're fully equipped). I had takeout delivered two days ago.

sca

Oct 25, 2017
We order out here and there. We remove the food from their wrapping/packaging, plate the food, throw the wrapping/packaging out, disinfect whatever the packaging has touched, wash hands, then we eat. It's a bother at first, but we got used to it

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Since the Quarantine started, me and my family stocked up on some food. Nothing too fancy, or super meal worthy, just simple meals like Hotdogs, Hamburgers, frozen foods, luncheon meat, canned good etc. So we've been just eating off of that, but my question is, have anybody been ordering food or using food delivery services? Given the climate of the virus being a contact based, is it even safe to do so?

Yes, we remove the contents from the container and then wash our hands

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston

Posted oty a few times now, but good resource on food prep. Food isn't a vector. The most likely vector would be contact with the delivery person and transferring it to your nose or eyes or lungs.

Contact less delivery, transfer, and then wash hands and you're 99.999% good to go.

Can someone explain to me why COVID can't really be transfered via food, but can via packaging? I mean, I get that no one should be touching my food directly, but since COVID transfers via particles from the mouth, I don't really see why it wouldn't be on the food as well (if just in smaller amounts).

As far as I understand it, the virus only binds to cells in the lungs and nasal cavity. Thus transferring it from touch to the eyes, nose, or inhaling it is how its spread, yet it can't survive being eaten. It needs to bind to respiratory cells via ACE2 receptors (but someone correct me if that's wrong please).

Thus food isn't a vector. Walking through someone's sneeze or touching a surface and then a respiratory entry point is the worry.

Last edited:

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I haven't been ordering, but I think that's probably safer than going to get groceries, so quarantine isn't my reason. Just that it's bit too expensive for me at the moment. I wouldn't eat out, though it's not even an option at the moment. You can only get take out food right now.

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain to me why COVID can't really be transfered via food, but can via packaging? I mean, I get that no one should be touching my food directly, but since COVID transfers via particles from the mouth, I don't really see why it wouldn't be on the food as well (if just in smaller amounts).
There have been a few good replies to you already, but another scientific explanation is that compared to a norovirus (think chipotle), cornaviruses have often been less effective at infecting through the stomach and intestinal tract. It's possible that they are more affected by the low pH in the stomach than a norovirus is.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It can't be any less safe than going out to a grocery store where they are likely the most crowded places in town due to the fact that nearly every other kind of non-essential business is closed. You're coming in contact with one person at most, none if you request a drop off at door. Take the food out and dispose of the packaging and wash your hands before consumption.

What about bread, pretzels, pasta?

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
There have been a few good replies to you already, but another scientific explanation is that compared to a norovirus (think chipotle), cornaviruses have often been less effective at infecting through the stomach and intestinal tract. It's possible that they are more affected by the low pH in the stomach than a norovirus is.

Found a article that states just that:

www.livescience.com

Can you catch COVID-19 from food?

There's currently no evidence of COVID-19 being transmitted through food.

Apparently while the intestines seem to have ACE2 receptors, the virus can't make it's way through the stomach. It nerds to pass through the lungs.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
My wife and I were ordering food more than I'd care to admit the last few months. Since we've both been at home, we've started cooking every day. It's been great for us.

OP
OP
Bman94

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Why not just stock up on stuff to make actual meals out of? Potatoes, onions, rice, pasta, veggies, etc. If you are cooking 3 meals a day there isn't much waste.

I meal prep during normal cases, but not know as when I meal prep the food I buy usually lasts a week or two. And that's with just cooking for myself. If I cook now, I'm going to be cook for my mom and dad as well, which means more materials needed to cook or that the normal amount I get will get eaten way quicker. I'm not trying to go to the grocery store every two or three days for more food. Unless I buy an insane amount of food stuff to make constant meals for three to four weeks it doesn't seem financially smart at this point.

So far we've been doing quick and easy meals. Sausage and rice, Burgers, Frozen family size Lasagna, Chicken rice and veggies etc. Just two and a half days of Chicken and rice is going to take up about 4 boxes of rice alone for 3 adults.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care if it's low risk, I'm not ordering anything until this thing is over. I don't trust the cooks or deliverymen.

I understand they're going through a bad phase, but I'm doing maximum caution and I'd hate to get the damn virus from ordering a stupid pizza.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
I've done 2 carry out orders this week because eating all the same food at home is boring, and not only that, I can't even depend on finding ingredients at the grocery store any more to make all the things I normally make at home. I just found whole wheat flour for the first time yesterday in 3 weeks.

Also, as foolish as it sounds I'm trying to support local business as best I can by doing carry out orders.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
I have a couple of times but all the ones I like are shut now so it's mostly been home cooking.

All I want is a pizza crunch and some curry sauce to dip the crusts in dammit.

Crazyorloco

Dec 12, 2017

Honestly I believe it can be on food as well. I haven't heard or read anything (no studies) from a legitimate source that show it cannot be on food. Even the "Serious Eats" article a few posts above me merely states there's no evidence that covid-19 has spread through food...but lack of evidence does not mean it does not happen. Wording is so important.

Cooking/microwaving could burn off whatever is on it.

Yesterday I ordered a burger and I waited to eat it thinking "if I wait longer the germs will die"

My view is absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
There are still going to be low risks, especially while cooked food is transferred to containers and the packaging, however it's probably close to or lower than the risk of going to a grocery store (unless you're fully equipped). I had takeout delivered two days ago.

Well said. I think this is key.

Last edited:

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You could literally eat coronavirus and you wouldn't be infected. The virus had to get into your lungs to infect you.

TriniTrin

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I've ordered local food almost every day to help support my friends that own breweries or restaurants in the area. I have a YouTube channel that promotes local businesses and I have met a ton of people who are in some deep shit now because of all this shutdown shit. I'm doing what I can to help them by buying their products and promoting them on my social media as much as I can.

I honestly haven't worried about getting sick because I know they are all taking precautions to ensure that doesn't come from the food. I would say you should support your favorite local spots if you can during this time.

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
Twice a week we've been doing take out and eating in car. We've tipped $10 every time.
I know it's not 100% safe though. We have sanitizer in both of our vehicles. We are out after those though. 😬

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I think the supporting of food services is a good thing but I'm also seeing a lot of that sentiment from people I know that have always ordered tons of take out and haven't changed any habits at all but are now championing themselves as doing it to support local business. It's like dude you ordered it because it's convenient and tastes good stop acting like you are doing them a favor. They are doing you a favor. It's such self aggrandizing nonsense.

Sanguine

Jun 10, 2018
I've been eating chinese food, italian (i.e. pizza, strombolli subs, etc.), and even had some KFC like usual. I still want to support some local businesses and I just can't eat at home all the time.

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
Once or twice a week. Just do as others say and removedfood from packaging then wash hands. Also disinfect what packaging has touched.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I think the supporting of food services is a good thing but I'm also seeing a lot of that sentiment from people I know that have always ordered tons of take out and haven't changed any habits at all but are now championing themselves as doing it to support local business. It's like dude you ordered it because it's convenient and tastes good stop acting like you are doing them a favor. They are doing you a favor. It's such self aggrandizing nonsense.
so much this!

I spent the entire winter lazily ordering out because I didn't want to go outside

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
We haven't had food delivered yet, but every two weeks we pick up great and affordable Chinese food. It's not more dangerous than buying stuff at the supermarket right now. Who knows who has already touched the bag of chips or groceries you're buying?

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol at the people doing it "for the local businesses." You're lazy, that's why.

The Benz

Oct 27, 2017
Has the consensus on this changed at all? I've avoided ordering any takeout since this all started but man I'm dying for a big mac right now. It sounds like it's not too much of a risk if I take the proper precautions?

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Nah I've ordered takeout weekly since April, not had any issues. Just don't order from the 1-star place and you should be fine.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Has the consensus on this changed at all? I've avoided ordering any takeout since this all started but man I'm dying for a big mac right now. It sounds like it's not too much of a risk if I take the proper precautions?

The CDC says:

The risk of getting COVID-19 from food, treated drinking water, or food packaging is very low
  • The risk of getting COVID-19 from food you cook yourself or from handling and consuming food from restaurants and takeout or drive-thru meals is thought to be very low. Currently, there is no evidence that food is associated with spreading the virus that causes COVID-19.
  • The risk of infection by the virus from food products, food packaging, or bags is thought to be very low. Currently, no cases of COVID-19 have been identified where infection was thought to have occurred by touching food, food packaging, or shopping bags.
  • Although some people who work in food production and processing facilities have gotten COVID-19, there is no evidence of the virus spreading to consumers through the food or packaging that workers in these facilities may have handled.

Basically, wash your hands before eating, like you should.

After shopping, handling food packages, or before preparing or eating food, it is important to always wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. Cover all surfaces of your hands and rub them together until they feel dry. Remember, it is always important to follow good food safety practices to reduce the risk of illness from common foodborne pathogens.

www.cdc.gov

COVID-19 ARCHIVED WEBPAGE

This historical page is not up to date. Find the latest on COVID-19.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is the danger more in touching packaging with the virus on it and touching your face?

What happens if you eat a coronavirus particle?

Oct 27, 2017
I've done takeout several times, often from a local Chinese restaurant we all like.
I never do delivery. I'm not paying the exorbitant cost of that over just going and getting it myself.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Is the danger more in touching packaging with the virus on it and touching your face?

What happens if you eat a coronavirus particle?

CDC (from the above link) suggests:

Food safety in the kitchen
Use proper food safety practices when handling food and before, during and after preparing or eating food.

• The virus that causes COVID-19 cannot grow on food. Although bacteria can grow on food, a virus requires a living host like a person or an animal to multiply.
  • Currently, there is no evidence that the virus that causes COVID-19 spreads to people through food. However, it is important to safely handle and continue to cook foods to their recommended cooking temperaturesexternal icon to prevent foodborne illness.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017

I've ordered take out multiple times a week since this all started. All things being equal, it still seems a lot safer than going to the grocery store...if significantly less cost efficient. I am pretty much always trying to use my "take out" meals to support local restaurants though, so I feel a bit less bad about getting take out so much. Also, tbf, I live in a city with 13 active cases, though that was down to zero for over a month.

Oct 27, 2017
i wanted to treat myself and doordash'd some five guys the other day, first time i haven't eaten groceries in months. 2 hours later it arrived (boy was i optimistic, ordering a milkshake) and i remembered why i don't get food delivered in Atlanta. i managed to get a credit for like 80% of that order, so i went ahead and used it yesterday and that food showed up on time at least, but then i spent the remainder of the day feeling guilty for splurging in the first place, so it'll probably be October before i order a pizza or something. i'm isolated AF right now so if i do catch the rona, i can just sit tight

TheOther

Jan 10, 2019
Texas
i wanted to treat myself and doordash'd some five guys the other day, first time i haven't eaten groceries in months. 2 hours later it arrived (boy was i optimistic, ordering a milkshake) and i remembered why i don't get food delivered in Atlanta. i managed to get a credit for like 80% of that order, so i went ahead and used it yesterday and that food showed up on time at least, but then i spent the remainder of the day feeling guilty for splurging in the first place, so it'll probably be October before i order a pizza or something. i'm isolated AF right now so if i do catch the rona, i can just sit tight
TWO hours?!?

Castform

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Florida, United States
I'll get carry out/delivery about once a week from local restaurants. Once they arrive we move the food to proper plates and dump the packaging before washing our hands.

It's not foolproof, but I really don't want to see these places close up.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Every Saturday night. Mostly wings or Thai from local places. We'll grab one offs every once in a while when we don't feel like making anything. Mostly Middle Eastern.

Don't go to Wahlburgers. The onion rings are fucking terrible and the burger was ok at best.

Oct 27, 2017
it was a fiasco. the restaurant is like 5 mins away from my apt too. i was tracking them. they picked it up, and then drove across all creation before circling back around to my place. they can't get into my apt parking lot, so i was waiting on the street for them. instead of turning into my building's driveway, they stop in the street, some dude without a shirt jumps out of the passenger side, runs across the street completely oblivious to ongoing traffic, and hands me my bag. so of course everyone on the street is now staring at me like i orchestrated this whole affair and was involved in the decision making process that led to this point. i trudged back to my building with my cold greasy bag, mortified and self-castigating.

probably just make some grilled cheese and tomato soup today

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
I put it on a clean plate, warm it up a bit, throw away stuff it came in then wash my hands and wipe down microwave handle.

Takes a lot these days to enjoy a good meal.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
Since the Quarantine started, me and my family stocked up on some food. Nothing too fancy, or super meal worthy, just simple meals like Hotdogs, Hamburgers, frozen foods, luncheon meat, canned good etc. So we've been just eating off of that, but my question is, have anybody been ordering food or using food delivery services? Given the climate of the virus being a contact based, is it even safe to do so?
I heard that transmission via takeout was very very low, but personally I will avoid people at all costs so 1) I would not go to an actual restaurant and sit down 2) fast food only if it was an emergency which has happened once so far.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
i get takeout lunch one time per week and we order dinner out one time per week.

your not gonna catch the rona from getting takeout,