• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
A lot of good ones already mentioned, I'll throw out Final Fantasy Adventure as another great classic gb game that holds up extremely well.

Other highly recommend classic gb games are (ignoring gbc games that were still compatible with gb)

Mario Land 2
Wario Land 1
Donkey Kong 94
Link's Awakening
Castlevania 2 Belmont's Revenge
Mega Man 3-5
Harvest Moon
Pokemon RBY
Dragon warrior/quest 1-2

I didn't include puzzle games like tetris, dr mario, and mario's picross since I think by their very nature they're basically timeless and function on anything you can play them on.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DK 94

tFhcgBd.gif

Wario Land

tumblr_inline_p7t912xpCS1r2gkqp_400.gif

Kirby's Dream Land series

ThisUnawareArawana-size_restricted.gif

Mario Picross

marios-picross-3ds-1.gif

Mole Mania

mole_mania_bonus_level.gif

Game & Watch Gallery

tumblr_oq3oxk9Z3B1qd4q8ao1_500.gif

John198X

Nov 9, 2018
Recommendable GB games I've played or re-played in the last couple years:

Balloon Kid: A Balloon Fight sequel with scrolling levels and bosses.
Castlevania II: Very good action platformer, and the only GB Castlevania I could call essential. As much as I like CV Adventure, I can't recommend it. CV Legends is bad.
Donkey Kong: Probably the best release for original Game Boy. I say that even as someone that doesn't super dig on puzzle action games.
DuckTales 1-2: Basically the NES games, but with redesigned sprites and levels to fit the GB resolution.
Gargoyle's Quest: I don't actually feel like the RPG "wrapper" around the levels is necessary (drags things out a bit), but a well done game when you're in the action. Unlike any other Capcom ports from NES (I think), the Japanese-exclusive GB port of the NES sequal does not redesign the levels to fit the GB screen, making it kind of obnoxious to play. So, I can only recommend this one.
Kid Dracula: I lied when I said I could only vouch for one GB 'Vania.
Link's Awakening: I'm not as in love with this as some people are. My biggest nitpick comes from the limited amount of buttons. Whenever I have to traverse the overworld, I'm constantly entering the menu to swap feather/sword/bracelet, and it's slightly annoying. That's exacerbated by the overworld being so damn dense (which is otherwise a plus).
Mega Man I-V: The first four are largely remixes of the NES games (once again with care taken in the adaptation), but always at some new bosses and stages added in. Part V is wholly original and great.
Metroid II: Seems awkward and a little intimidating at first, but you may find after a while that it's actually pretty intuitively designed as far as where to go and what to do!
Operation C: Not talked about enough. Very good!
Kirby's Dream Land 1-2, Super Mario Land 2, Wario Land 1-2: As good as their reputations suggest!

I can never remember which GB Color games I like are backwards compatible, so these are all OG monochrome games.

Last edited:

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Both of HAL Lab's pinball games, Kirby's Pinball Land and Revenge of the Gator, are some of my fave virtual pinball games of all time. Less about realistic pinball, more about creative twists to its virtual version. In that sense, I like those more than the Pokemon Pinball game.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Seek out the Konami Collections on GB. Each one contains about 4 GB games, but each one has been boosted to GBC mode, so colors and reduced slowdown.

(edit) Missed OG gameboy, in which case I'd still recommend every castlevania game except the first one. Wonderful music and mostly still hold up. I also keep a copy of gameboy Monopoly which is an almost 100% faithful conversion of the NES one including most of the music/sounds. Great for quick matches against the computer.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I'm also going to recommend that you track down a copy of Donkey Kong for Game Boy. It's an excellently crafted game that still holds up well to this day.

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
The original Super Mario Land, Gargoyles Quest, Tetris, Castlevania Games, and Donkey Kong are all ace. The Ducktales games were good, as well as Battletoads. Solar Striker is pretty fun too.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Heads up OP some of these are in the 3DS eshop.

Thanks, that's how I played links awakening dx, I think. Just sold it last week though. Really 8ts mostly about experiencing the original hardware and a few games. Never had one growing up, game gear was my first portable, and friends only had game boy colors, so I'm kind of excited just to experience the hardware. This yellow one is so pretty.

sox

Oct 27, 2017
Mario's Picross is the GOAT. If you clock that, then there is also a Japanese only sequel đź‘Ś

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
All of these have probably already been mentioned but I need to reiterate them

Donkey Kong '94
Link's awakening
Sword of Hope II
Dragon Quest (Warrior) 1&2
Dragon quest (Warrior) monsters (1)
Revelations: The Demon Slayer (the first MegaTen game released in America, part of the Last Bible series)
Mario's Picross
Super Mario Land 3
Star Wars (limited Run games is planning on rereleasing this apparently on cart)

These were my Life during the mid to late nineties (essentially until Pokemon/slightly after Pokémon changed the game boy game)

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
Pokémon Trading Card game.

Neat conversion of the real-life card game but in the Pokemon adventure/RPG format.

The game cart will be almost 20 years-old, though. I'm sure my save battery bit the dust long ago.

Thanks, OP, now I'm going to check to make sure.

edit: still works! Only got 222 out of 226 cards, though. Wonder what they were.

Some other recommendations:

Mario Golf (only works with GBC)
Metal Gear Solid
(only works with GBC)
Pokémon Pinball

Last edited:

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like everyone already covered most of my favorite original GameBoy games, but don't miss out on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3 or Ninja Gaiden Shadow either. Both are pretty great.

sox

Oct 27, 2017
Pokémon Trading Card game.

Neat conversion of the real-life card game but in the Pokemon adventure/RPG format.

The game cart will be almost 20 years-old, though. I'm sure my save battery bit the dust long ago.

Thanks, OP, now I'm going to check to make sure.

edit: still works! Only got 222 out of 226 cards, though. Wonder what they were.

Some other recommendations:

Mario Golf
Metal Gear Solid
Pokémon Pinball
At least half of those are GBC only games.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

Yes. One of the best puzzle games out there.

I add Tailgator, which of course has a horrible english cover:

tail-gator__44477.1527778955.jpg

It's a puzzle platformer which I really enjoyed back in the day. I would like to show some gameplay, but with the short length it just spoils too much, imo. Still, if interested, here is a gameplay video of the first zone with all 4 areas. The game only consists of 4 zones, the first three have 4 areas, the last one only one.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Link's Awakening and Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins are absolutely incredible games that had no business coming out on a system with graphics that look like a calculator screen.

Oh yeah, Pokemon Red/Blue as well.

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
How Super Mario Land 2 had never been remastered or ported to a newer system is a mystery to me

Tetris in its original incarnation is a must play as well

And obviously Pokemon Red/Blue

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
My mother-in-law cleaned out some stuff, and my wife came back with an original gameboy (in an awesome banana yellow) and two games: Pochahontas, and Pagemaster.

I assume these two are duds. I also assume theres a decent mario game, and of course the OG tetris and pokemon. But are these must plays/experience? I grew up on NES and am very familiar with all those IPs. Are any of the original gameboy games worth hunting down, or should we just sell (or display) the gameboy?
NEver assume, OP. Pocahontas could be a hidden gem.

Deleted member 5549

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen mention of Bubble Ghost yet. Pretty fun puzzle game where you're a ghost who blows a bubble to the goal without popping it.

Deleted member 10428

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ninja Gaiden is really good. And isn't really a NG game but a sequel to the Nes game Blue Shadow/Shadow of the Ninja.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
DK94 and Link's Awakening go without saying, but my pick would be Mega Man V. It's a fantastic original game, one of my favourites in the series. Those three are the ones I usually recommend.

Bionic Commando is another good one too, trades in the green/brown NES military aesthetic for more of an anime/sci-fi one. Mystic Quest (FF Adventure) is a fun action rpg, the forerunner to Secret of Mana.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Wario Blast.

Sure, it's a Bomberman clone, but it's done really well.

If I had to pick just one it would be Super Mario Land 1.