• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

You live and let live?

• Save the animals!

Votes: 138 45.1%
  • Screw those fur babies!

Votes: 168 54.9%

• Total voters

ieo

Aug 7, 2019
Hewie from RE4 can't actually be killed, but I always remove the bear trap from his leg manually instead of shooting at him.

The crows must die though. They were plotting something with all those grenades.

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
Interesting to read "it's a game they're not real" retorts .. Why does that make a difference? I'd feel bad killing a cute furry mammal and I don't wanna feel bad in my computer gamez.

StiLteD

Nov 11, 2017
London
I've not even tried to shoot any of the animals in Division 2. I don't know if you can or if they give you anything for doing it, but I don't see that changing.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've killed everything. Even cats, which don't appear often enough in games and are never designed to be an enemy. However, when Fallout 4 adds cats and I can just dangle their bodies in NPC's faces, I'm sorry, but that's just what is going to happen.

Last edited:

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
A turtle crawled away from me in Uncharted 4 today and I instantly thought, "I wonder if I could have shot that?"

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
BlondCanineBluejay-small.gif

They're going down

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
It is just a game, but anyway I usually kill just if there is a good reason. Survive, get items to build gear, etc... lets say I dont like much to attack animals if these are just pacific...

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
The most amazing thing in these discussions is how people can't even begin to process that human beings are animals as much as the next cat 🤷‍♀️

Brood

Nov 8, 2018
Interesting to read "it's a game they're not real" retorts .. Why does that make a difference? I'd feel bad killing a cute furry mammal and I don't wanna feel bad in my computer gamez.
Then the developer shouldn't make them killable/severely penalize the player who kills animals.
I don't kill animals since I like the world feeling populated and being 'alive' but I roll my eyes when someone takes issue with other players who kill animals in a game when their grievance should be at the developers who 'allowed that'

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
I have a rocky position on this. Generally I hate killing wildlife in games in most cases and find the attraction to games that are based on it - Monster Hunter and Lost Planet spring to mind - just incomprehensible and bizarrely callous.

This is in relation to the killing of magnificent beasts. IRL my response would be to sit and watch for as long as I possibly could; not pull a gun. And while games are often fantasies, I tend to roleplay them a fair bit.

Somehow though, I don't really register the killing of critters, eg. in things like Horizon where you craft useful things out of them. Something about the setup there just seems fair somehow.

And IDK why but I'll kill valuable animals in Far Cry 3 without really thinking about it.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I won't hunt any of them, there's nothing enjoyable about a simulation of preying on helpless creatures. I'd hunt the hunters though, with great satisfaction!

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
I felt a bit sad shooting racoons and foxes in Horizon Zero Dawn (that squeek they make when shot) but hey, pouch upgrades aint no joke.

I'm currently playing Days Gone and wondering what wildlife there is besides deer. I already almost completely wrecked my bike hitting one that came out of nowhere lol. Most realistic part of the game probs.

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
Then the developer shouldn't make them killable/severely penalize the player who kills animals.
I don't kill animals since I like the world feeling populated and being 'alive' but I roll my eyes when someone takes issue with other players who kill animals in a game when their grievance should be at the developers who 'allowed that'

Don't give two hoots what anyone else does.. You enjoy the game the way you want and so will I.

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
I've got softer as I've got older and I'll usually only kill an animal if it's directly threatening me.

Having said that, I've even started trying to avoid killing attack dogs in games now where possible.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
Whaling and shark hunting in Ass Creed Black Flag. Just, wtf.

I don't do hunting in games, anyway, unless I really need those resources or it's a story requirement. I'll kill enemy beasts, but I won't go out of my way to kill animals just chilling - except to progress.

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
How can you "Responsibly" and "respectfully" kill an animal to later hang his head on the wall?

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
It makes a difference because I don't feel bad. I don't kill people in real life. It's separate in my head.

Do you not feel bad when you kill people in games?

OP
OP
Bigwombat

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
The more realistic game graphics become, the more hesitant I become at killing things.

Goodness knows what I'm going to do next gen?

I've been thinking about this over the last few years. Like at some point am I going to get ptsd and have nightmares from killing virtual people cause it's so photo realistic? Tlou is one of my favorite games and I'm nervous as hell to play the next one cause it looks so visceral,which I belief is the point.
not killing animals in games does noting for anyone or anything. If you find a cause you're passionate for I advise you look for agencies aimed at protecting that cause and put your time, effort, and/or resources towards that.

Meaningless protest in video games or any other form of entertainment is wasted potential.

I admire your passion OP, just redirect it towards more meaningful action.

Trust me I do. I wrote and talked to my rep about the coyote thing, I give money to Audubon, and volunteer at our local wild animal rehab place and conservation trust. Like I said I have no problem with hunting but the weird ritual they had with the coyote hunt was too much.

The most amazing thing in these discussions is how people can't even begin to process that human beings are animals as much as the next cat 🤷‍♀️

True, humans are definitely animals and our defining evolutionary survival feature is our brain. Humans are such assholes to other animals though. Not everyone but we're causing another mass extinction for all the species. Just depressing is all.

Whaling and shark hunting in Ass Creed Black Flag. Just, wtf.

I don't do hunting in games, anyway, unless I really need those resources or it's a story requirement. I'll kill enemy beasts, but I won't go out of my way to kill animals just chilling - except to progress.

Going to go to the new Bedford whaling museum this weekend actually. Whales got fucked hard during that era. That shit is heinous to think about. And interesting. For some reason it makes me think of Aztec human sacrifices.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Nah, there's always that disconnect for me that they're not real. I'm always aware I'm playing a game, and if I need to skin that sumbitch, I'm gonna do it lmao.

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
It makes a difference because I don't feel bad. I don't kill people in real life. It's separate in my head.

Do you not feel bad when you kill people in games?

As I said earlier you do you.. I personally just don't find harming living things enjoyable in reality or virtually.

I do feel bad killing people yeah .. Why I don't play any games that accurately simulate that kind of thing.
And I'd suggest we all do that to a certain extent.. My separation from 'realistic' killing is just considerably greater than the average is all.

Thronazuug

Mar 30, 2019
So much blood in this thread. Ow the edge.gif

I even have hard time with goombas. But like Miyamoto says they're all actors so it's fine.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
True, humans are definitely animals and our defining evolutionary survival feature is our brain. Humans are such assholes to other animals though. Not everyone but we're causing another mass extinction for all the species. Just depressing is all.
Well, won't argue with you on that 🤷‍♀️

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
As I said earlier you do you.. I personally just don't find harming living things enjoyable in reality or virtually.

I do feel bad killing people yeah .. Why I don't play any games that accurately simulate that kind of thing.
And I'd suggest we all do that to a certain extent.. My separation from 'realistic' killing is just considerably greater than the average is all.
I'm curious about your phrase 'accurately simulate'. Which game that does NOT 'accurately simulate' killing people feels ok for you?

Deleted member 4292

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I won't go out of my way to, if the game calls for it and its an objective then I'll do what I have to.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I would not hurt cats. Everything else is fair game.

But for hunting, i'm usually too lazy for it.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Anything goes, tho that said in RDR2/RDO if I fuck up a shot and the animal goes into bleedout, I mercy kill them. Pelt quality be damned.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Generally no, because I don't care about pixel animals but one exception exists, Mr. Bigglesworth in Naxxramas in WoW. Any time I go there to farm transmogs or whatever, I make sure I leave him alone.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I've been thinking about this over the last few years. Like at some point am I going to get ptsd and have nightmares from killing virtual people cause it's so photo realistic? Tlou is one of my favorite games and I'm nervous as hell to play the next one cause it looks so visceral,which I belief is the point.
I can only speak for myself, but I think the problem is twofold. First, yes, the "realism" is getting more and more disturbing. But I wouldn't be surprised if most "gamers" (or at least SOME of them) after some time finally get some awareness about the fact that soooooo many games are about killing stuff, be them "humans", "aliens", "animals", "monsters", "demons" (can demons even die?), etc.

At some point this simple understanding will probably get to a number of "gamers", which if I had to venture a guess is probably one of the many reasons people start to stop playing video games over time.

It's pretty easy to find movies which are not action flicks. It's much harder to find games which aren't about killing things at some point. Go for it, prove me wrong, you'll see you'll have a hard time finding such games outside "waking sims" and what you could call "pure simulators" (like MS Flight Simulator). Strategy games? Killing things. Puzzle games? Outside of abstract games such as Tetris? How many of them are about blasting stuff? Point and click? Sure, to a degree. And then you have sports game but that goes under "pure simulators" for me. These games exist, but are rarely on the front stage.

Killing is pretty much the most common action of in all the media.

I'm sure I could pull every GOTY from the last two decades years and find they pretty much all involve killing stuff at some point.

I'm not sure if that's depressing, but that sure is disturbing.

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
I'm curious about your phrase 'accurately simulate'. Which game that does NOT 'accurately simulate' killing people feels ok for you?

Either death is avoided through the game lore: Pokemon, Splatoon, Lego games, RPGs where enemies disappear in puffs of smoke rather than leaving a dismembered corpse lying around. Or there's Resident Evil, Sekiro, Doom and the like where the enemy is a fantastic monster for which there would be no real life corollary.

That's an interesting question tho ..I'll try to put it in context..
It's pretty inarguable to say that killing has always been the primary activity in gaming .. I killed my fair share of aliens playing Space Invaders as a kid in the early eighties for sure. A lot of human activities, especially sports, are simulations of combat but safer and less harmful to the loser.. One of the positives of living in civilised society. We play games in part to satisfy these base urges and that's totally cool but, like I said, there's a separation between games/fantasies and real life.. Just like a fight in a movie is cool and exciting but is definitely not cool or exciting IRL.

What I went on to propose was that I believe everyone has some degree of separation between real and virtual violence but where you are on that scale is variable according to your personality and life experiences. So, virtually killing an innocent animal absolutely is inconsequential but, especially given improvements in graphical representation over the years, it's too close to what would be a cruel real life act for my comfort.

Ahhh I dunno .. I may be a huge hypocrite between what I say and play (Ring Fit, Jotun, Civ 6, MK8 online atm.. you decide). Last time I can remember playing what I'd call a realistic simulation of violence was GTAIV 10 odd years ago.. I was so rubbish at that game I'd even obey the highway code stopping at traffic lights and the like!.. Needless to say I don't think I played for more than a couple of hours before realising it wasn't for me even though I played the shit out of Vice City in the day.