• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
It's not like Asian men aren't already stereotyping themselves to make themselves feel better.

Here in Singapore there's this colloquial term often aimed at white folks, about how they have bigger penises. In situations when used by men on women who chose to be with non Asian partners, it is a derogatory term about how these women only chose white men because of their larger penises. So these men think they're better in many aspects except in the one thing they cannot beat white men in, which are larger penises, and "women like big dicks" so it's not their fault that women didn't choose them for the one thing they cannot control. It's pretty messed up.

Hmm...

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Lol. You're telling me a minority literally being killed by their opppressors had some clap backs based on the same nonsense they are being oppressed for (because its not women who made up the small penis is less masculine or any other "im more man than u, bro" nonsense) to the point they were throwing bows in bars?

I love it.

Also, I need to push back at how body-shaming and toxicity is always wrong. The women were forced into radical action because "talking" obviously didn't work, its not as if emoji's existed for decades on decades. You have entrenched misogyny that wasn't being solved by reaching out, I can't get mad at them for going a more "radical" route. And it's honestly these pushbacks are weak-sauce and not that radical, "reading a book" on basic empowerment and trading insults at hateful protestors isn't like The Weather Underground.

So like is this their Ice T-Cop Killer?

If it wasn't for those ladies brave pushbacks, the conversations would not be being had, news-media wouldn't be focusing on it, etc. Let em rock, and im praying for em.

Sal_S

Oct 30, 2017
Hamilton
Cannot believe some of y'all in this thread are treating an emoji as if it's somehow equivalent to women being murdered nearly everyday.

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California
I recently read Kim Jiyoung, Born 1982, and it's an eye opening book about sexism in South Korea. The fact that a man could feel victimized is absolutely incredible.

Magneton

Banned
Jul 31, 2018
User Banned (2 weeks): Concern trolling about misogyny
Lol. You're telling me a minority literally being killed by their opppressors had some clap backs based on the same nonsense they are being oppressed for (because its not women who made up the small penis is less masculine or any other "im more man than u, bro" nonsense) to the point they were throwing bows in bars?

I love it.

Also, I need to push back at how body-shaming and toxicity is always wrong. The women were forced into radical action because "talking" obviously didn't work, its not as if emoji's existed for decades on decades. You have entrenched misogyny that wasn't being solved by reaching out, I can't get mad at them for going a more "radical" route. And it's honestly these pushbacks are weak-sauce and not that radical, "reading a book" on basic empowerment and trading insults at hateful protestors isn't like The Weather Underground.

So like is this their Ice T-Cop Killer?

If it wasn't for those ladies brave pushbacks, the conversations would not be being had, news-media wouldn't be focusing on it, etc. Let em rock, and im praying for em.

Women are a minority?

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Willing to bet that the same people posting here saying "the womeen are not wrong but shouldn't use that language!" are the same people who'd say that they totally support protesting!... as long as it doesn't actually cause any inconveniences to them.

Likely.

No one should be tone policing the women using this emoji and gestures. Women are being oppressed and decided to fight back. Nothing wrong with that.

Saying "Please don't abuse, beat, or kill me" doesn't seem to be working.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Women are a minority?

In most societies, numbers of men and women are not equal. Though women are not categorically a minority,[SUP][32][/SUP] the status of women as a subordinate group has led to many social scientists to study them as a minority group.[SUP][33][/SUP] Though women's legal rights and status vary widely across countries, women experience social inequalities relative to men in most societies.[SUP][34][/SUP]Women are often denied access to education, subject to violence, and lack access to the same economic opportunities as men.[SUP][35][/SUP]

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 month): Racist stereotyping. If you are not Korean you should not be directing this at Korean men
This works surprisingly well both ways...

HQFVF3W.gif

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Korea sounds like a version of Japan that didn't even bother trying to reform its misogynistic culture (and only went harder into the deep end).
Perhaps consider a better comparison when Japan literally used Korean women as sex slaves.

People have been banned for implying that Netanyahu's administration is comparable to Nazi Germany. Why is this different? It's the same historical context that makes this an extremely problematic comparison.

Mathiassen

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I though it was an emoji of the woman-pointing-at-confused-cat meme šŸ¤

šŸ¤
šŸ¤
šŸ¤

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
It's not like Asian men aren't already stereotyping themselves to make themselves feel better.

Here in Singapore there's this colloquial term often aimed at white folks, about how they have bigger penises. In situations when used by men on women who chose to be with non Asian partners, it is a derogatory term about how these women only chose white men because of their larger penises. So these men think they're better in many aspects except in the one thing they cannot beat white men in, which are larger penises, and "women like big dicks" so it's not their fault that women didn't choose them for the one thing they cannot control. It's pretty messed up.
Not to defend the misogynist culture in Korea, but one must put it under historical context to better understand this phenomenon. The militant conservative culture in Korea largely flourished during the Korean War and beyond (with decades of dictatorships and coups). And Korea has a complicated history with the US. On the one hand, the US prevented SK from falling to the hated Communists in the North (and just like the US during the Cold War, the SK culture became reactionary to any left leaning ideology.) But on the other hand, due to war time poverty, many SK women turned to prostitution with American GIs as their main clienteles. Before the American Military Government handed power back to SK regime, White Americans were simultaneously saviors and occupiers, which put the already fragile national image under stress.

Last edited:

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
There is a lot to unpack here. My first thought it that just from Gamergate and the anti-SJW/feminist movement a few years ago, I don't think you are winning broader support doing the "eye for an eye" sort of retaliation since this reinforces the idea that there is some sort of hidden misandry in feminism that not only gives the anti-feminist movement ammo, but pushes people that might otherwise be on the fence, ignorant, or that could support feminism if it didn't appear "men-hating" on it's face.

I certainly don't have a problem with the similar sort of jabs that women get thrown at them for their bodies, especially when pushing back against broader and systemic gender inequity, but I think making it the rallying cry of your movement, not a response in-kind to a similar retort or just about men's insecurities, starts getting into gross territory that just makes the whole entrenched gender warfare a scenario that only polarizes things. I assume it's a sign of how polarized and bad things are already, but the more it can appear to be framed as "men vs. women", I can't think that is a good strategy.

Also this is yikes, not gonna lie.

As if it isn't already a global stereotype that Asian men have small dicks (like someone unironically said in this thread about South Park jokes and their multiple "Asian guy has a small dick" jokes), a bunch of Korean woman trying to use science to shame and humiliate Korean men? Big oof.
There's a reason why women have had to resort to this, it's like you're willfully ignoring the background history leading up to this moment with the facts and misogynist culture in South Korea. Respectability politics is nonsense. Feminism is never acceptable no matter how polite to misogynists. You're just protest policing and telling women to watch their language if they want more support, and blaming their way of protest for the misogyny instead of focusing on the men.

Tristam

Oct 25, 2017
The average penis size in South Korea is 2.7"? There's no way that's true

I don't think it's possibly true either. I've spent a number of years in Korea and and sometimes go to the public baths to relax with teammates after a soccer game. In a public bathhouse you see a lot of penises even if you're not trying to look. Like anywhere else in the world some dudes are well-hung and others aren't. And I don't think it's selection bias. Just about everyone goes to the bathhouses here and nudity - at least sex-segregated nudity - is not as big of a deal as it is in the States.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Official Staff Communication
Thread has been locked while we review a large number of reports. This may take an extended period of time. Any updates will be added to this post. Thank you for your patience.

Update: After review it appears that this thread has not been generating good discussion and for that reason it will remain locked. Sexism in Korea is a serious problem that should not be dismissed or excused. At the same time, there is a world of difference between Korean women using that emoji in this context to protest sexism, and westerners who are not Korean using it to stereotype Korean and Asian men.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.