• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Javelin is your go to choice/main when playing Anthem?

• Ranger

Votes: 199 20.2%
  • Colossus

Votes: 254 25.8%
  • Storm

Votes: 330 33.6%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 200 20.3%

• Total voters
Feb 1, 2018
Europe
I can understand the reviews as god damn there are a lot of head scratching decisions that have been made with Anthem but the core gameplay and flying is so damn cool. I hope they keep working on it and fix all the annoyances and it could be something great if they do.

I have to agree, the game has a lot of issues but the combat.... so good. ATM I can probably keep myself busy with the combat loop for a few months (I just play in weekends usually).

If they add some new biomes, strongholds and fix the loading I will be very happy.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I have to agree, the game has a lot of issues but the combat.... so good. ATM I can probably keep myself busy with the combat loop for a few months (I just play in weekends usually).

If they add some new biomes, strongholds and fix the loading I will be very happy.

A lot of the reviews are specifically critiscing the combat. In no particular order:

1) weightlessness and uselessness of guns
2) lack of integration with the flying
3) basically same gameplay at max level as at the start of the game
4) hitting powers on cooldown is basically the whole game

A number have said that Anthem's combat starts off great, but grows increasingly more tedious and repetitive the more you play. It's not like Destiny, which had a superb shirt gameplay loop but a shit ton of other problems - there are issues with the core gameplay loop as well it seems.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to miss it when there are no conversations available in Tarsis, I really hope they continue to build on those characters and add new ones as new content drops.

Watching the credits roll and I've loved every minute so far. Still at 25 so a way to go before I'm on the proper loot grind.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
A lot of the reviews are specifically critiscing the combat. In no particular order:

A number have said that Anthem's combat starts off great, but grows increasingly more tedious and repetitive the more you play. It's not like Destiny, which had a superb shirt gameplay loop but a shit ton of other problems - there are issues with the core gameplay loop as well it seems.

Not sure I agree, maybe it depends on the class but I'm loving Colossus and it seems extremely varied to me. My playstyle running GM's is nothing like it was levelling up. I am able to charge in with my shield and smack down scrubs, wipe shields with the MN marksman rifle with the lightning perk. Switch to MN shotgun to pump out damage on bosses up close while drenching them in acid and popping combos with Lightning Coil. Always shifting from heavy defence and waiting for an opening to attack so i don't get shredded. Yeah sure there is room for improvement but it already feels pretty solid to me.

Also when you see vids like this Interceptor pulling off crazy stuff shows what can be done with the current system:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGame/comments/auos3d/youre_an_interceptor_get_in_there/

BIG J

Oct 27, 2017

That's one of the reasons I don't really listen to reviews. Same issues with Titanfall. People played it like cod when the mobility was the true weapon in the game. In anthem, gunplay is secondary to the abilities and movement.

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
Still haven't got a single legendary on GM1. But got bunch of new MW that I haven't seen before

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London

1&4, and to a certain extent 3, aren't true though. End game gear has shown that gun builds are perfectly viable, some of them are really meaty, and are better dps than power builds, if with less utility, and I say that as someone who previously pushed the "game is about abilities" line. I said that from playing the demo, and the wider component bonuses in full game and masterwork weapons and components generally up the viability of guns immensely.

For 3, There's also enough abilities that there is room to experiment with different ability combinations for changing up your playstyle, at least for a while. Changing class is also easy for experimenting with different ability sets. They absolutely need to keep adding abilities over time though because the amount of experimentation is obviously finite.

Those reviews are from people who haven't bothered to do more than the campaign with playing one, maybe two classes, and then maybe fiddled about for a couple hours at level 30 without trying to switch their builds up much. I'd bank on it.

Having said that, 2 is correct beyond storm hover shooting. Seems like a tricky thing to 'fix', and I don't think they'll try.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
That's one of the reasons I don't really listen to reviews. Same issues with Titanfall. People played it like cod when the mobility was the true weapon in the game. In anthem, gunplay is secondary to the abilities and movement.
I used to say this but gun builds are absolutely possible as a primary playstyle with masterwork gear. Even on my ability combos for days aoe destruction thicc boi I routinely use my autocannon for single target dps, and that's not remotely a gun build.

SoraanTribal

Oct 27, 2017
My husband and I beat the campaign last night. We actually really enjoyed our time with it and the reviews and all the drama over it confuse us lol. It's not perfect but most of our complaints are just the bugs that happened (like missions we couldn't finish and such). The actual gameplay is really fun to me. The story... Has potential. I like some of the people you talk to and the main characters but I do wish the story was a bit more interesting. I wanted to know more about the Anthem of Creation and stuff besides what I can read about in the menus.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Does quick play only match you into missions you've done, or is it anything goes? I've been doing the story missions with matchmaking so far but want to level a bit on the side and get some loot in amongst progression.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
Does quick play only match you into missions you've done, or is it anything goes? I've been doing the story missions with matchmaking so far but want to level a bit on the side and get some loot in amongst progression.

KYU!!!! :-P Yeah I think Quick Play is a bit broken I have been matched with allsorts of players joining my games from it. We had a slot on my team for one of the final missions on GM1 and it got filled by some guy who was level 5 and had barely started the story so that was fun even though as far as I'm aware you have to be level 30 with level 400 power level to access GM missions. Also saw a vid where some streamer was doing the very last mission/boss and a level 3 got matchmade with them so they were telling them to get out because of obvious spoilers.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
So wait, do they really only put out 4 weekly challenges? So it's impossible for people who got the game at actual launch to do 10 and get the path of glory gold rewards? That's so stupid.

Oddhouse

Oct 31, 2017
So I got Anthem on PC on actual launch day and while is see some of the issues (unvaried mission structures), the game does seem anywhere as bad as what the early reviews made out to be. The Fort that everybody complains about is a single player thing (Wolf 2 had the submarine, Metro Exodus has the train; it's what single player games use to move the story forward). I wonder if our expectations were too high for BW and so it was reviewed more harshly than it would have if it was made by a studio without a long history of story driven RPGs.

It's a solid 7 or maybe even 7.5 for me. It's not as bad as Fallout 76 at a 6.

Load times are also a none issue on an SSD. I don't have any load screens over 10seconds.

I think the early access did a lot of damage. EA made the same issue with ME:A. The early access seem to be terrible for BW games and there seems to be massive improvement for actual release.

Liam1884

Oct 30, 2017
So I got Anthem on PC on actual launch day and while is see some of the issues (unvaried mission structures), the game does seem anywhere as bad as what the early reviews made out to be. The Fort that everybody complains about is a single player thing (Wolf 2 had the submarine, Metro Exodus has the train; it's what single player games use to move the story forward). I wonder if our expectations were too high for BW and so it was reviewed more harshly than it would have if it was made by a studio without a long history of story driven RPGs.

It's a solid 7 or maybe even 7.5 for me. It's not as bad as Fallout 76 at a 6.

Load times are also a none issue on an SSD. I don't have any load screens over 10seconds.

I think the early access did a lot of damage. EA made the same issue with ME:A. The early access seem to be terrible for BW games and there seems to be massive improvement for actual release.

You seriously think Fallout 76 is a 6/10?

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
Titans seem a bit unfair as Storm. Somehow those fireballs seem to track me through my dodges, so I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to be doing.
The mission with the trials is the best yet. Previous missions (except the intro) have been so tedious and recycled that I can't remember a single one of them. The trials one actually has a mission design and memorable locations. It feels like what the game should have been from start to finish.

I used a walkthrough to find some collectables and chests for the Tombs. CHest spawning seems a bit random, so I still got most from doing world events. I do wonder about some of the Tomb goals though. One of them is "complete 3 missions", yet the Tombs is about mission 5 in the critical path, so if it tracks all missions, why is this even there? Same goes for stuff like "30 gear kills" or "30 weak spot kills". You'd have to actively avoid using gear and hitting weakspots in all the earlier missions to 'fail' to kill 30 dudes in all the previous missions.
It makes me think the "it's supposed to count all progress so far" is a retcon for what was actually working as intended (i.e. the actual bug was that for some players the tombs remembered past accomplishments when they were supposed to reset, but they reversed that after the complaints about the grind).

Colossus seems to have more interesting and varied gameplay. You have the melee stuff, can pop some abilities when you have no aggro and the autocannon feels good to use. The abilities seem to have a decent mix of utility (I'm using an all-primer build of firewall and flamethrower). It's great as a support class for rezzing teammates behind the shield and knocking down enemies.

Storm is just finding a good 2-ability combo rotation and avoiding damage while they cool down. I think this could get very repetitive. The Ice Storm ability seems insanely OP to me, coupled with a fast-cooldown detonator.
It's really easy to gimp your build though, if your abilities don't work well together. The lightning primers seem utter shit, since they never do enough status to prime, have slow recharge, one charge, are not AoE, and have travel times. They do a bit more damage but that just means they'll only prime a red-bar grunt, who is normally one-shot or left on a sliver of health.
The Ice Storm doesn't do much damage but freezes and primes a fuckload of guys and has a short cooldown, multiple charges and is a hitscan AoE.
Ha, I just had a google and MTashed seems to have spotted how OP this ability is.

You really should be able to switch equipment on the fly. It feels really bad when I enter a mission with a gimp build (or once when the game reset my build to what I was using several hours ago due to some bug). I know I'm just going to hamper the team for the next half hour until I can get back to the forge, and it feels like I'm letting the side down.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Titans seem a bit unfair as Storm. Somehow those fireballs seem to track me through my dodges, so I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to be doing.
The mission with the trials is the best yet. Previous missions (except the intro) have been so tedious and recycled that I can't remember a single one of them. The trials one actually has a mission design and memorable locations. It feels like what the game should have been from start to finish.

I used a walkthrough to find some collectables and chests for the Tombs. CHest spawning seems a bit random, so I still got most from doing world events. I do wonder about some of the Tomb goals though. One of them is "complete 3 missions", yet the Tombs is about mission 5 in the critical path, so if it tracks all missions, why is this even there? Same goes for stuff like "30 gear kills" or "30 weak spot kills". You'd have to actively avoid using gear and hitting weakspots in all the earlier missions to 'fail' to kill 30 dudes in all the previous missions.
It makes me think the "it's supposed to count all progress so far" is a retcon for what was actually working as intended (i.e. the actual bug was that for some players the tombs remembered past accomplishments when they were supposed to reset, but they reversed that after the complaints about the grind).

Colossus seems to have more interesting and varied gameplay. You have the melee stuff, can pop some abilities when you have no aggro and the autocannon feels good to use. The abilities seem to have a decent mix of utility (I'm using an all-primer build of firewall and flamethrower). It's great as a support class for rezzing teammates behind the shield and knocking down enemies.

Storm is just finding a good 2-ability combo rotation and avoiding damage while they cool down. I think this could get very repetitive. The Ice Storm ability seems insanely OP to me, coupled with a fast-cooldown detonator.
It's really easy to gimp your build though, if your abilities don't work well together. The lightning primers seem utter shit, since they never do enough status to prime, have slow recharge, one charge, are not AoE, and have travel times. They do a bit more damage but that just means they'll only prime a red-bar grunt, who is normally one-shot or left on a sliver of health.
The Ice Storm doesn't do much damage but freezes and primes a fuckload of guys and has a short cooldown, multiple charges and is a hitscan AoE.
Ha, I just had a google and MTashed seems to have spotted how OP this ability is.

You really should be able to switch equipment on the fly. It feels really bad when I enter a mission with a gimp build (or once when the game reset my build to what I was using several hours ago due to some bug). I know I'm just going to hamper the team for the next half hour until I can get back to the forge, and it feels like I'm letting the side down.
Lightning is killer for ripping off shields in GM. I run masterwork arc burst and masterwork flame burst and it's fantastic for hitting armor and shields really hard.

Anything goes, which is really stupid, so BE CAREFUL.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
The game is fun as hell.

The story was fine, nothing ground breaking. Lots of room to grow.

The loot is fucking bullshit. I mean, they really yanked the bald chicken on that one. Looter shooter and what not, usually has some actual interesting loot. A single weapon in Destiny, Diablo or Balders Gate had more character and design than every weapon put together in this game.

It's like they're place holders for the real weapons and loot or somthing. Every weapon is a 2d sprite sheet that my kids could have made in MS paint.

Luxor

Oct 27, 2017
This is a great MW for Colossus - flamethrower then melee to get combo damage and get back 20% health per dead guy. Shield slam isn't bad either

2zfL8uR.jpg

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
So it's harder to get masterwork stuff now? If so then I think I might finally be done. I'll probably just help my buddies out with their story stuff and move on. The grind doesn't seem worth it. The grind seems bad.

TCi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is a great MW for Colossus - flamethrower then melee to get combo damage and get back 20% health per dead guy. Shield slam isn't bad either

2zfL8uR.jpg
I have this. Love it. Stacking this togehter with Ranger with component for 40% armor for party when he does combo is great.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017

2zfL8uR.jpg
OMG I need that so bad, running down scrubs and knocking flying enemies out the sky with my shield is my favourite thing to do. I got the epic tier level 36 version of this but that 20% Armor recovery would make me even more unstoppable. Could just use primer skills and wreck with shield charge and ground pound.

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
So now that its been out for a little bit, has anyone been able to compare the PS4 Pro and X1X performance? I'm waiting to see the DF video on the PS4 Pro, but until then I'd really like to hear impressions about the PS4 Pro performance - is it a noticable improvement over the X1X even with all the patches? Similar?

I've tried searching this thread for info but there is a lot of other conversation going on so I havent been able to find it.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Did I miss Temple of Scar? I'm pretty sure I'm on the last story mission (it gives the whole "you can't return to fort tarsis until you're done" message) but still just the one stronghold.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I still think they need different sounds when high tier loot drops. I need a depressed sigh when uncommon drops and I need voice of the gods when a MW drops.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
We had some bad luck (relative to our weekend sessions) with bugs last night. The most common one was not being able to revive each other or others as it wouldn't give the prompt. We had that happen in two or three missions once it resolved itself in mission, others required restarting the game. I also had a couple times where my Ultimate was charged and I couldn't use it.

We also hit some difficulty spikes with the titan fights in Dax's missions on hard. We got through them, but it took a long while and lots of getting downed in one shot. It was also bad about spawning you back already dead on the one that let you respawn yourself. It was odd as the Mathias missions available at the same time were way easier.

Last edited:

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
We had some bad luck (relative to our weekend sessions) with bugs last night. The most common one was not being able to revive each other or others as it wouldn't give the prompt. We had that happen in two or three missions once it resolved itself in mission, others required restarting the game. I also had a couple times where my Ultimate was charged and I couldn't use it.

We also hit some difficulty spikes with the titan fights in Dax's missions on hard. We got through them, but it took a long while and lots of getting downed in one shot. It was odd as the Mathias missions available at the same time were way easier.
Yes, that mission on Hard was a pain in the ass on Hard. Lots of running away screaming and swearing when those homing shots blasted me over and over.

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
Having good fun with the game. I like the Ranger but kinda want to try Storm. Colossus felt too clunky but it is supposed to feel like that. I felt like a damn tank haha. I have a feeling once I unlock Storm that will be what I fall in love with.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Despite the issues, I'm having a ton of fun playing the game and still am ready to get home and play more. Just curious how far into the campaign I am:

I'm at the main mission where you have to go find your old team members from the first mission of the game. I've done all the side missions/contracts that are available up to this point.

Mathmarauder

Nov 14, 2017
Despite the issues, I'm having a ton of fun playing the game and still am ready to get home and play more. Just curious how far into the campaign I am:

I'm at the main mission where you have to go find your old team members from the first mission of the game. I've done all the side missions/contracts that are available up to this point.

I'd say just under 50%?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

You still have a good chunk to go.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Huh, the scene with Tassyn after beating the game seems to hint at
another enemy faction. I wonder when they'll get added.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Ok I can't remember the answer to this:
For components, do you have to craft green to unlock blue, or wait until you find/earn a blueprint?

OP
OP
iFirez

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Huh, the scene with Tassyn after beating the game seems to hint at
another enemy faction. I wonder when they'll get added.
They're actually the alien race all over the lore, they once were the prominent species on the planet - and may still be in other parts of it. They once enslaved humanity and Tarsis fought them to gain independence for Humanity in the area of the planet that Anthem is based in (Bastion). I kinda flipped when I saw that cutscene because it has so many lore implications, it's awesome

knuckles

Oct 29, 2017
I love this janky game so much. But we need to be able to go directly to the mission screen after finishing an expedition. (After fixing some of the game breaking bugs of course).

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
Having good fun with the game. I like the Ranger but kinda want to try Storm. Colossus felt too clunky but it is supposed to feel like that. I felt like a damn tank haha. I have a feeling once I unlock Storm that will be what I fall in love with.
I had the opposite happen. Thought I'd like the Storm, but then got the Colossus and can't bring myself to switch back.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
It's not fixed, the Tomb quest is still in the game. They fixed tracking progression after level 3 but you still have to do the grind quest (world bosses in freeroam, 50 melee kills, 3 lots of 10 kills in 8 seconds etc). It's a piss poor main story quest which highlights the flaws of the game.
I did Freeplay probably 3 times before that quest came up and I was more than 100% done by the time it dropped. Post patch of course. Maybe I was enjoying Freeplay too much.

Oddhouse

Oct 31, 2017
My husband and I beat the campaign last night. We actually really enjoyed our time with it and the reviews and all the drama over it confuse us lol. It's not perfect but most of our complaints are just the bugs that happened (like missions we couldn't finish and such). The actual gameplay is really fun to me. The story... Has potential. I like some of the people you talk to and the main characters but I do wish the story was a bit more interesting. I wanted to know more about the Anthem of Creation and stuff besides what I can read about in the menus.

Totally agree. I think it's much better than the reviews made out. Obviously it's down to preference but I do think it seems to have been 'Group Think' of all reviewers in Anthems case.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
I love this janky game so much. But we need to be able to go directly to the mission screen after finishing an expedition. (After fixing some of the game breaking bugs of course).
Definitely. Mission over with the option of forge (then straight to mission select), mission select or Tarsis would be ideal.