• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Javelin is your go to choice/main when playing Anthem?

• Ranger

Votes: 199 20.2%
  • Colossus

Votes: 254 25.8%
  • Storm

Votes: 330 33.6%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 200 20.3%

• Total voters

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Uh, this is simply not true. The Division has better A.I for one, and If you really think they're comparable, you're being incredibly disingenuous. Enemies in Division flank, push, try to split your team up with grenades. The endgame enemies are also a lot more difficult.

Anthem does not have a better combat system, it has a more unique traversal system. The actual combat itself? Ha.
Enemies in Anthem do everything bolded too.

Artorias

Oct 25, 2017
Enemies in Anthem do everything bolded too.

giphy.gif

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
AI in Anthem is really bad. I have lost count on the amount of times, I am shooting a mob in the head from the side and they just stand there.
They will push and shoot but they don't play strategically at all.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It is early days but does anyone else have this as a contender for their personal GOTG? It's right up there for me. It isn't perfect by any means but its just so compelling. I don't even mind the tombs quest (all my counters were at 0 as I arrived at it last night) because I can just play more of the game and explore more of the open world at my leisure. Sure its poor, design. But not much has got near the exhilaration of combat and flight in this game. Something that is so so good I cannot think of a parallel this gen.

Artorias

Oct 25, 2017
AI in Anthem is really bad. I have lost count on the amount of times, I am shooting a mob in the head from the side and they just stand there.
They will push and shoot but they don't play strategically at all.

It's why I'm not even bothering to respond properly to the other poster. You have to be delusional or disingenuous or not have any experience with A.I in Division to say they're at all comparable.

Anthem certainly has things it does better, no doubt about that, but A.I? Yeah, no.

Pluna

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 27, 2019
It is early days but does anyone else have this as a contender for their personal GOTG? It's right up there for me. It isn't perfect by any means but its just so compelling. I don't even mind the tombs quest (all my counters were at 0 as I arrived at it last night) because I can just play more of the game and explore more of the open world at my leisure. Sure its poor, design. But not much has got near the exhilaration of combat and flight in this game. Something that is so so good I cannot think of a parallel this gen.
What is GOTG? Game of this generation? If so: WHAT?!?!

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I guess you haven't read the thread.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Frostbite is a fickle creature - a Frostbite game I shipped had to hard launch into another frostbite game in order to use tech/assets that another studio had been working on for us.

The tech developed at a studio utilizing frostbite can seldom be exchanged with another studio's customized version of it.

Its a nightmare engine, in all honesty.

I have played Anthem. The way Tarsis is setup is likely a technical issue related to the engine & its streaming tech. They are load screens in Tarsis to load into what would be an ordinary menu in any other looter-shooter - there is no one at BW actively choosing poor design decisions. These are all related to technical limitations.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit with Frostbite. I remember hearing that when FIFA had to change engines, one of the biggest hurdles was getting replays to work. Frostbite just wasn't set up for such a thing.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
What is GOTG? Game of this generation? If so: WHAT?!?!

I've had such a blast playing it over the weekend with friends. It reminds me of the first few weeks playing OG Destiny. Which is also one of my contenders for GOTG along with Overwatch. But Anthem for me is up there. The fun of the combat and the beauty and interest of the open world make it really compelling for me.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
I've had such a blast playing it over the weekend with friends. It reminds me of the first few weeks playing OG Destiny. Which is also one of my contenders for GOTG along with Overwatch. But Anthem for me is up there. The fun of the combat and the beauty and interest of the open world make it really compelling for me.
I'm happy you're happy, man.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
With the comments on loadtimes I fear heavily for how this is gonna run on an original PS4... Without an SSD...
Load times won't be fun, but the one thing that will be better is the discrepancy PC suffers from where everyone is running on different hardware and with different storage solutions, hardly anyone has SSD in their console and all have same spec hardware, so pretty much everyone will be arriving into the game at the same time and there will be a lot less turning up to find 1 or 2 people have already shot off and end up pulling you through another load screen.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
can you explore the entire map (or most of it) right from the beginning?...one thing I hated in the demo was that most of the map was blocked off so every time you entered a locked area a warning message would appear on screen giving you 5 seconds to turn back...if you didn't make it back then you were booted out...the crazy thing was if you're flying around at top speed and get the warning, 5 seconds is not enough time to turn around and get back into the boundary...was really annoying

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
You do you. But absolutely not. This is fun to play but it takes far more than that for me to call something game of the generation. Holy shit.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
can you explore the entire map (or most of it) right from the beginning?...one thing I hated in the demo was that most of the map was blocked off so every time you entered a locked area a warning message would appear on screen giving you 5 seconds to turn back...if you didn't make it back then you were booted out...the crazy thing was if you're flying around at top speed and get the warning, 5 seconds is not enough time to turn around and get back into the boundary...was really annoying

You can on free roam which unlocks very early.

surr

Oct 27, 2017
I have 0 friends on PSN. Know nobody in real life who plays PS4. I played Destiny 1 and 2 by myself.

Is this game any fun for a lonely gamer like me?

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
"You're a freelancer right?"

"What gave me away?"

"The freelancer logo"

HOW CAN THE DIALOGUE BE THIS BAD

Josecitox

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina

I want whatever you're smoking.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
how big is the entire map?...how long will it take to fly from one end to the other?
It's actually a lot smaller than I thought it'd be to get from one end of the other, however it's very intricate with great verticality. There are also instanced dungeon type zones to find that can be quite large areas to explore. So overall it's big with lots to see, but not so large that getting from point A to point B is an issue.

Diagonal through the map hmmm 10-15 mins. Not long
I think it's probably a lot less time than that if you know the routes.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Gonna slap my tinfoil hat on, but I'm convinced the Tombs grind is purely there to stop people from finishing the story during their 10 hour trial with Origin Access Basic. I think without that quest, the story is easily beatable in under 10 hours.

Gotta say though, I spoke to everyone in town when they popped up, and I've been doing every sidequest and contract, and I've got a good 24 hours out of it over the weekend with friends. About to hit level 30, have two Masterworks weapons and am just shy of 390 power. I've had a blast, besides all the technical difficulties and bugs that need to be ironed out. Hope they add more endgame things to do, but in the meantime I'll be popping in to help others during QuickPlay and hopefully secure better weapons.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
is there a lot variety in the terrain around the map or does everything look basically the same?...meaning are there snowy mountains, rainy areas, desert type areas etc?

There's variety but it's all jungle, caves, rivers and lush looking environments. There are land marks but it's easy to get lost at first. Now that I've pretty much been everywhere I can tell where I am wherever the mission takes me. For the most part. Haha

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Gonna slap my tinfoil hat on, but I'm convinced the Tombs grind is purely there to stop people from finishing the story during their 10 hour trial with Origin Access Basic. I think without that quest, the story is easily beatable in under 10 hours.

Gotta say though, I spoke to everyone in town when they popped up, and I've been doing every sidequest and contract, and I've got a good 24 hours out of it over the weekend with friends. About to hit level 30, have two Masterworks weapons and am just shy of 390 power. I've had a blast, besides all the technical difficulties and bugs that need to be ironed out.

I didn't realize you can get master works weapons prior to level 30. Are they drops or did you grind blueprints for them?

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Uh, this is simply not true. The Division has better A.I for one, and If you really think they're comparable, you're being incredibly disingenuous. Enemies in Division flank, push, try to split your team up with grenades. The endgame enemies are also a lot more difficult.

Anthem does not have a better combat system, it has a more unique traversal system. The actual combat itself? Ha.

The way your skills weave together and how flying actually becomes an essential part of your combat is fantastic. This is almost up there with Black Dessert Online in how satisfying the combat system is.
I will give you that enemy AI in Division is better, but thats it. Other than AI division has some of the blandest combat in the business.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Seems like after reading this thread off and on my time with the game has been lucky / different to the majority - Haven't had a single crash since starting and the loads times are fine although too numerous (SSD....). I am actually enjoying it all so far playing solo, I don't mind fort tarsis (it IS too slow to move around though) and actually quite enjoy the dialogue so far.

I finished the tombs quest last night but I had done all of it with the exception of 8 chests & 20 or so ultimate kills so it took me no time at all.

I hope they get the chance to build on this as I really enjoy the gameplay.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
The chest farming issue has broken the game. It's actually worse than farming public events at the start of Destiny 2 because you don't have to actually engage with the game on any level other than go from A to B to C and press a button.

This better be gone in the day 1 patch otherwise the entire motivation to tackle the game beyond level 30 is gone and players will get bored quickly and move on (as if there's not a danger of that anyway...).

I was genuinely concerned people would be exploiting the game in some way that broke it, there will always be a most efficient and most productive path to getting the loot that everyone will jump at but sometimes there's exploits or tricks that maximise the grind too far, but this is every bit as broken as the loot cave was, but more damaging because if it remains this way into full release, they're going to have to introduce a new player level cap and a new tier of gear to effectively to a reset and make the game worth playing again.

Gonna slap my tinfoil hat on, but I'm convinced the Tombs grind is purely there to stop people from finishing the story during their 10 hour trial with Origin Access Basic. I think without that quest, the story is easily beatable in under 10 hours..

It's there to introduce you to the different aspects of the game. Could it have been done better/slicker? Definitely, but if you think BioWare give the slightest of shits whether you get an hour or two more out of an EA access trial or not, well, nah...

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Hey guys, for someone who usually only plays single-player, doesn't mind playing with people but doesn't have friends to play with, and just kind wants to go through the story - does this look like I will have fun? I've been wanting to play a shooter lately, and this looks cool, but I'm really torn. I can't tell if people's criticisms are against the expectation of an endlessly replay-able game, or even if you breeze through it is still boring.

RedbullCola

Oct 26, 2017
The Tombs thing is doing my head in. I'm 4 hours into it now. Free roam doesn't even Group players together on entry or have a marker system so I'm having to do world events and bosses solo.

It's super poor game design.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017

Future you is screaming at present day you for posting this.

Josecitox

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
The way your skills weave together and how flying actually becomes an essential part of your combat is fantastic. This is almost up there with Black Dessert Online in how satisfying the combat system is.
I will give you that enemy AI in Division is better, but thats it. Other than AI division has some of the blandest combat in the business.

I don't see anything fantastic or revolutionary in the core gameplay design of the game, flying is useless most of the time, it's there to allow you to move around the world and that's pretty much it. For combat is straight up annoying, and the Storm is the perfect proof of this, stay away from enemies and shoot them with whatever. That's not fantastic at all.
And this is highlighted at higher difficulties, where staying far away from enemies is better and playing as Storm is meta.

The Interceptor is a clear example of how bad gameplay feels when you're not doing that, the animations for it's melee attacks are jarring and give you 0 feedback of what you're hitting, the animations and flair when jumping and going to fly are just jarring and unnatural, notice how no matter where or how you jump, the animation to go into flying mode is the same backflip all the time, giving you the feel of a transformer interrupted mid transformation.

The fact that guns feel bad and uninventive makes it even worse.

The only system that is worth praising due it's potential is the combo system, but the game doesn't even care to explain that to you at all.

Last edited:

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sorry if these points have already been covered, I'm just trying to avoid spoilers so haven't read much of this thread:
- Approx. how long is the campaign? What about including side content?
- How is the story (especially relative to Destiny/Destiny 2 and The Division)?
- How well does the game work solo?

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see anything fantastic or revolutionary in the core gameplay design of the game, flying is useless most of the time, it's there to allow you to move around the world and that's pretty much it. For combat is straight up annoying, and the Storm is the perfect proof of this, stay away from enemies and shoot them with whatever. That's not fantastic at all.
And this is highlighted at higher difficulties, where staying far away from enemies is better and playing as Storm is meta.

The Interceptor is a clear example of how bad gameplay feels when you're not doing that, the animations for it's melee attacks and jarring and give you 0 feedback of what you're hitting, the animations and flair when jumping and going to fly are just jarring and unnatural, notice how no matter where or how you jump, the animation to go into flying mode is the same backflip, giving you the feel of a transformer interrupted mid transformation.

The fact that guns feel bad and uninventive makes it even worse.

The only system that is worth praising due it's potential is the combo system, but the game doesn't even care to explain that to you at all.

I disagree hard. Guns feel mediocre yes, but the skills is where its at. This is an rpg at its core and not a shooter.
Once you actually start using skills and flying together with your friends you get very satisfying combat. If you treat this game like destiny it will seem bad to you.
And I like that it doesnt explain everything. Let players discover the depth of the sytems themselves.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Skimmed through the last 20 pages or so and this thread is pretty depressing to read. I don't think the game is half as bad as people are making out. *Most* of the bugs seem to be on PC, which is very annoying if you're on PC but won't necessarily effect a large proportion of people.

Back in page 86/87 I was posting about the tomb quest, it's literally fine. It's certainly not good design but it's not some giant terrible roadblock either. I was doing all the side stuff anyway, so by the time I had done the last one of those, I have nearly everything unlocked anyway.

I literally did 30 minutes of freeroam early on, so everything you do in non-story missions seems to count.

It's mainly chests and world events to do, which I want to do anyway to give me a chance to do free roam, and actually explore. I could also do with grinding a bit of XP and getting more consistent loot levels.

Josecitox

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
And I like that it doesnt explain everything. Let players discover the depth of the sytems themselves.

The depth of the system yes, the system itself? No, that's just stupid on their part, like a lot of design choices in the game.

The game doesn't even give you a stat screen for your character, the game itself doesn't treat as an RPG, that's how stupid and flawed it is.

Literally, the only reason to call this game an RPG is that there's elements and % on the items, and that's pretty much it lol.

RedbullCola

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry if these points have already been covered, I'm just trying to avoid spoilers so haven't read much of this thread:
- Approx. how long is the campaign? What about including side content?
- How is the story (especially relative to Destiny/Destiny 2 and The Division)?
- How well does the game work solo?

- I got a few hours in and hit the Tomb quest, so haven't been able to finish the main quest.

- It's okay. Good vs evil. Not much depth or motivation.

- It's okay until the Tomb quest, which is grind 16 objectives like world bosses etc.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I have 0 friends on PSN. Know nobody in real life who plays PS4. I played Destiny 1 and 2 by myself.

Is this game any fun for a lonely gamer like me?
I'm like you, and I've played every game like this solo. It's totally doable, but at endgame you'll have to deal with random people, which is fine most of the case.

"You're a freelancer right?"

"What gave me away?"

"The freelancer logo"

HOW CAN THE DIALOGUE BE THIS BAD
Read the next line? It's supposed to be an awkward introduction with a supposedly rigid/serious character.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
The soundtrack to this is pretty unbelievable. Not a type of game I'm interested in, but hooked to the soundtrack. Feel it would be in year-end discussions as some of the best of the medium if the game was better received than it seems like it will be.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
- I got a few hours in and hit the Tomb quest, so haven't been able to finish the main quest.

- It's okay. Good vs evil. Not much depth or motivation.

- It's okay until the Tomb quest, which is grind 16 objectives like world bosses etc.

That Tomb Quest sounds terrible. I hope it doesn't ruin the game or stop solo progression from being possible.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The depth of the system yes, the system itself? No, that's just stupid on their part, like a lot of design choices in the game.

The game doesn't even give you a stat screen for you character, the game itself doesn't treat as an RPG, that's how stupid and flawed it is.

Like I said earlier the combat itself feels amazing to me. The ranger feels like Iron man, storm is everything I wanted the warlock in destiny to be and the colossus is like a freaking Space Marine straight out of 40 k. I havent played the interceptor nearly enough so I cannot comment on that, your impressions of it sound like its a worst one of the bunch sadly.

Now outside of the combat itself there are a great deal of issues. Even though my loadingscreens are at most 20 seconds they are simply to numerous, an issue I had with Destiny as well, but at least I could go into my character screen there.
The menu system takes some getting used to aswell and is done better in plenty other games.
Also not beeing able to change loadout on the fly is a massive issue in a loot driven game.

So yes I think Anthem needs a ton of work, but the core gameplay itself feels extremely satisfying to me. And it looks and runs stunning on my rig.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
That Tomb Quest sounds terrible. I hope it doesn't ruin the game or stop solo progression from being possible.
That tomb quest is supposedly retroactive, but there's a bug which makes the progress start from 0 for some people.

If it's working as intended, by the time you reach that quest you'd have probably completed most of the tasks. When I got the quest, I can immediately entered 2 of the 4 tombs because I've already completed the tasks before. And it only took me an hour or so to complete the rest of the tasks.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Like I said earlier the combat itself feels amazing to me. The ranger feels like Iron man, storm is everything I wanted the warlock in destiny to be and the colossus is like a freaking Space Marine straight out of 40 k. I havent played the interceptor nearly enough so I cannot comment on that, your impressions of it sound like its a worst one of the bunch sadly.

Now outside of the combat itself there are a great deal of issues. Even though my loadingscreens are at most 20 seconds they are simply to numerous, an issue I had with Destiny as well, but at least I could go into my character screen there.
The menu system takes some getting used to aswell and is done better in plenty other games.
Also not beeing able to change loadout on the fly is a massive issue in a loot driven game.

So yes I think Anthem needs a ton of work, but the core gameplay itself feels extremely satisfying to me. And it looks and runs stunning on my rig.

Interceptor is hella fun but needs some buffs - which Bioware have confirmed are coming. I think personally all will be viable and important down the line.