• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Javelin is your go to choice/main when playing Anthem?

• Ranger

Votes: 199 20.2%
  • Colossus

Votes: 254 25.8%
  • Storm

Votes: 330 33.6%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 200 20.3%

• Total voters

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm genuinely surprised at how it's not understandable to so many so far but no, it's just a prequel nugget, a short little tease as a lead up to the events of the game as they've been saying.

I thought it was a prequel short but after watching it it seems like a trailer for something. Then you got anthem guys on twitter saying it's a trailer. Why is it surprising people would think it's a trailer to the game?

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So lore wise, Helena Tarsis rocked Colossus, the Sentinels rock Rangers and Storm is adapted from shaper tech and used by the Dominion. Where's Interceptor fit lore wise? lol.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I'm genuinely surprised at how it's not understandable to so many so far but no, it's just a prequel nugget, a short little tease as a lead up to the events of the game as they've been saying.
If so many people are confused about what the story is about, and (what they claim to be) a story-focused trailer still has most people scratching their heads, then it's a marketing failure. But that's par for the course with Anthem, which has always had confusing marketing ever since its reveal. I still fondly remember reading dev tweets about flight ceilings, time limits, and loading screens through canyons, and telling people here that meant free flight as we all expected wasn't going to happen - that the reason we never saw gameplay with flight above tree lines or canyons was because you literally couldn't fly above them, and an "open world" was nothing but an illusion akin to Destiny's. Even you skewered me against the wall for that analysis, telling me not to worry because flight ceilings would probably be like GTAV's (lol) and yet here we are today, knowing after all that there is no open world, it really is a series of rooms and corridors disguised as open, with super low flight ceilings preventing you leaving canyons and going above the forest canopy, and canyons/waterways acting as loading screens between areas. On top of all that, time limits for what limited flying we have.

It's a confusing and intentionally misleading PR strategy. It always has been. They even had you fooled. Don't be surprised that so many people are still confused about the premise of the game. I don't think even Bioware knew what this game was really going to be until 2017.

I used to work there. I'm just saying this is separate from the game story, it's a concept piece.
Like FFXV's Omen trailer..?

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Conviction is here

In Anthem, players must venture into an evolving, living world and battle the dangers that threaten the safety of the people in Fort Tarsis. Through exploring the world, completing missions, and protecting humanity, players are introduced to intriguing characters and a unique BioWare story.

In Conviction, Academy Award-nominated director of District 9, Elysium, and Chappie Neill Blomkamp (with Oats Studios), explores the vast world of BioWare's Anthem through a new narrative set decades before the beginning of the game. Neill's live-action short is a chance to see the world of Anthem through a different lens, with stunning locations, new characters, and a new story.

That was rad.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
If so many people are confused about what the story is about, and (what they claim to be) a story-focused trailer still has most people scratching their heads, then it's a marketing failure. But that's par for the course with Anthem, which has always had confusing marketing ever since its reveal. I still fondly remember reading dev tweets about flight ceilings, time limits, and loading screens through canyons, and telling people here that meant free flight as we all expected wasn't going to happen - that the reason we never saw gameplay with flight above tree lines or canyons was because you literally couldn't fly above them, and an "open world" was nothing but an illusion akin to Destiny's. Even you skewered me against the wall for that analysis, telling me not to worry because flight ceilings would probably be like GTAV's (lol) and yet here we are today, knowing after all that there is no open world, it really is a series of rooms and corridors disguised as open, with super low flight ceilings preventing you leaving canyons and going above the forest canopy, and canyons/waterways acting as loading screens between areas. On top of all that, time limits for what limited flying we have.

It's a confusing and intentionally misleading PR strategy. It always has been. They even had you fooled. Don't be surprised that so many people are still confused about the premise of the game. I don't think even Bioware knew what this game was really going to be until 2017.

Like FFXV's Omen trailer..?
Not familiar with it (or that game).

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Not familiar with it (or that game).
Shortly before release they put out a CG trailer that was similar in style to this one (quickly moving between different scenarios, painting a vague overview of the world and some key characters). After the game launched we found out the trailer's story had literally nothing to do with the game at all. It's like someone took the visuals of the world/characters and made their own trailer story for it with no developer input.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
Shortly before release they put out a CG trailer that was similar in style to this one (quickly moving between different scenarios, painting a vague overview of the world and some key characters). After the game launched we found out the trailer's story had literally nothing to do with the game at all. It's like someone took the visuals of the world/characters and made their own trailer story for it with no developer input.
Ah. Sssssorta like that I guess.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I thought it was a prequel short but after watching it it seems like a trailer for something. Then you got anthem guys on twitter saying it's a trailer. Why is it surprising people would think it's a trailer to the game?
Official accounts on Twitter said more than once it takes place decades before the game.

There's nothing confusing about the flight. The developers have been extremely transparent and answering people's questions over the years. No one should have expected a "fly absolutely anywhere" scenario, that's not realistic for this type of game. You also upgrade flight time over the course of the game, so it's difficult to judge that aspect at this point in full. I prefer to be reasonable and see how that is after the fact. But yes, my assumption was fairly high ceilings given the environments, but that was later clarified through more information being given. It wasn't confusing, just something you learn along the way. Same with jets not being indefinite (also unrealistic expectation). It IS open world in freeplay, even if you go through cave systems, tunnels etc.

Phew, a maniacally cynical way to approach it, and. No, I don't feel "fooled" or misled at all. There's always things in every game's marketing that end up becoming clearer the more it's shown. Clearer, not intentionally misled.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
They're misinformed. The trial for Anthem should begin tomorrow too, but you can't pre-load for the trial. https://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin-Access/Will-origin-access-basic-include-anthem/td-p/7325558
So if I have Anthem on Origin from the Nvidia RTX promo, Origin Access Basic, and Anthem's 50GB pre-load downloaded, I... can't play the trial tomorrow or the trial would be a seperate download? I'm so confused.

The pre-load is only for the full game available next week?

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Conviction is here

In Anthem, players must venture into an evolving, living world and battle the dangers that threaten the safety of the people in Fort Tarsis. Through exploring the world, completing missions, and protecting humanity, players are introduced to intriguing characters and a unique BioWare story.

In Conviction, Academy Award-nominated director of District 9, Elysium, and Chappie Neill Blomkamp (with Oats Studios), explores the vast world of BioWare's Anthem through a new narrative set decades before the beginning of the game. Neill's live-action short is a chance to see the world of Anthem through a different lens, with stunning locations, new characters, and a new story.

If this is a trailer for an upcoming actual short film, neat, I'm interested.

If this is the actual short film....that was visually cool but entirely pointless from a lore standpoint because it was cut and edited like a trailer.

Hawkian

Oct 26, 2017
So if I have Anthem on Origin from the Nvidia RTX promo, Origin Access Basic, and Anthem's 50GB pre-load downloaded, I... can't play the trial tomorrow or the trial would be a seperate download? I'm so confused.

You can start the 10 hour trial tomorrow. Don't blame you for being confused.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
No one should have expected a "fly absolutely anywhere" scenario, that's not realistic for this type of game. You also upgrade flight time over the course of the game, so it's difficult to judge that aspect at this point in full. I prefer to be reasonable and see how that is after the fact. But yes, my assumption was fairly high ceilings given the environments, but that was later clarified through more information being given. It wasn't confusing, just something you learn along the way. Same with jets not being indefinite (also unrealistic expectation). It IS open world in freeplay, even if you go through cave systems, tunnels etc.
It's not realistic for Frostbite I suppose, but after recent AC games have let us fly as an eagle across much of Egpyt and Greece in colossal open worlds, to extreme heights, it's certainly possible. The initial reveal gave a lot of people that impression. If you're making an Iron Man inspired game, why would you have tree canopies and canyons as the flight ceiling? Why would you have a "no more fun" time limit for flight duration while exploring? My best guess is it's a similar situation to Andromeda - they had much higher ambitions, that didn't involve these restrictions, but for whatever reason couldn't achieve them. And I assume Frostbite is a big part of that when it comes to large open worlds.

As for whether it's an open world or not... I guess that depends if you consider Destiny's planets open worlds. They had a similarly misleading reveal when they first showcased the Cosmodrome environment to crowds, pretending the pretty distant environments/mountains were explorable. At least Bioware never specifically claimed their distant environments were explorable like Bungie did, but most people assumed they would be, given, you know, Iron Man flight =P

anthem-3840x2160-4k-screenshot-gameplay-e3-2017-13821-2060x1159.jpg

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
For the life of me, I'm going to be waiting for next week to roll around to start playing Anthem. Still, I hope to hear some good responses for those getting the game early. This month is starting to make me a touch concern for releases and I hope Anthem can turn that around (or at least for when I start playing Crackdown 3, it will be more fun than what reviewers have said).

Balmung421

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to start this game tomorrow; I finally decided on the interceptor class.

While wrapping up work for the week I have also had the soundtrack on repeat--Sarah Schachner killed it! Up there with Nier and God of War soundtracks for me.

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Why would you have a "no more fun" time limit for flight duration while exploring?

In combat, for balance. They'd have to rework most enemies if you could just fly about indefinitely.

Outside of combat, you pretty much can fly indefinitely as you can cool off by flying downward quickly a la the batman games, by skimming water surfaces (game is full of them).

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
It's not realistic for Frostbite I suppose, but after recent AC games have let us fly as an eagle across much of Egpyt and Greece in colossal open worlds, to extreme heights, it's certainly possible. The initial reveal gave a lot of people that impression. If you're making an Iron Man inspired game, why would you have tree canopies and canyons as the flight ceiling? Why would you have a "no more fun" time limit for flight duration while exploring? My best guess is it's a similar situation to Andromeda - they had much higher ambitions, that didn't involve these restrictions, but for whatever reason couldn't achieve them. And I assume Frostbite is a big part of that when it comes to large open worlds.

As for whether it's an open world or not... I guess that depends if you consider Destiny's planets open worlds. They had a similarly misleading reveal when they first showcased the Cosmodrome environment to crowds, pretending the pretty distant environments/mountains were explorable. At least Bioware never specifically claimed their distant environments were explorable like Bungie did, but most people assumed they would be, given, you know, Iron Man flight =P
From my understanding, Frostbite has a lot to do with it, yeah. Streaming is a very difficult issue with it. The engine literally wasn't designed from the outset to accommodate huge open worlds. BioWare built that into the engine along the way.

As for flight duration, they actually did say they played around with having indefinite flight, but it made combat too easy and was difficult to nail down a satisfying combat loop. Understandable.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Official accounts on Twitter said more than once it takes place decades before the game.

Sure but they also said it's a short now say it's a trailer, what ever it's not surprising the people get confused. It's a trailer for a prequel of something that doesn't exist in the game yet is label as a trailer for Anthem (with anthem splash screens and everything in the trailer). Anthem hook was it's one of these games with a story so the only story trailer they show has nothing to do with the game? With the change in time for early access and charts needed to see when you can play a game, everything about Anthem has been confusing.

I can't wait to play Anthem and I enjoyed the video but dam anthem is a confusing clusterfuck at this point.

OP
OP
iFirez

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England

You're all good to play tomorrow. The Origin Basic trial download for members who haven't preordered isn't coming out until tomorrow but as you have it preordered and preloaded you'll be able to jump into the trial.

OP
OP
iFirez

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Interesting... they seem to have changed the messaging for Coviction to call it a Live Action trailer for the game now, rather than a short film prequel for the game. Makes sense, I guess, a little less confusing as it totally is edited like a trailer - the story it's telling will also be in findable/discoverable ingame and readable in the Cortex to some extent so.

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
Cool - the bad performance in the beta made it hard to judge the combat gameplay imo. If it is fixed it would be a major improvement to the whole game
Yes I was unlucky. Played on X1X and technically the game was off for me! But I read other people had smooth beta technical wise on the X

Landford

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
W......What was that video? Did they made a teaser video to something else that is coming? Is that the story of the main campaign? What? Its edited like a trailer!

KrAzY

Sep 2, 2018
Awesome trailer, hopefully they can expand on that, maybe make a web series. World looks real interesting

Landford

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
well, YouTube description says it's a trailer for the game
Is the trailer a "Story from Neil Blokamp?" It was advertised as a short prequel story set in the world of Anthem.

I want this game to do well, but man, there isnt a single aspect of it that wasnt botched.