• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Javelin preference

• Ranger

Votes: 191 17.8%
  • Colossus

Votes: 253 23.5%
  • Storm

Votes: 366 34.0%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 266 24.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played the Alpha yet, so my assessment might be wrong, but does anyone else think the combat looks too easy (it looks like you can just stay in the air indefinitely?) and that there's little interesting enemy variety?

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
I haven't played the Alpha yet, so my assessment might be wrong, but does anyone else think the combat looks too easy (it looks like you can just stay in the air indefinitely?) and that there's little interesting enemy variety?

If you watch any streams the time you can be on air fighting is quite small unless there's water around, but Storm herself is protected.

Could tell you more from personal experience but not until 22nd Feb! But in the streams they show quite a bit more.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
You can't stay in the air forever, and that was just one enemy type

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
I know people like Destiny-style games and I don't begrudge them that, but it just looks so boring...

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018
Well there are 6 or so difficulty levels to choose from so I'm assuming this is probably only on level 1 or so. The storm can hover almost indefinitely, I think I recall them saying it used to be possible to hover forever in it but they later changed it.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018

Can't just stay in the air indefinitely. Combat does look pretty easy but it should be easy for going through story. Hopefully we can see a higher tier difficulty stream at some point. For enemy variety, Lost Arcanist is an early, low-level mission so not surprised.

I know people like Destiny-style games and I don't begrudge them that, but it just looks so boring...

I really don't know how anyone can see that IGN stream and call it boring gameplay, but to each their own.

KrAzY

Sep 2, 2018
I'm gonna ram into so much stuff as colossus lol... In terms of enemy variety, I hope there is a lot.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This was played on easy, only a couple of elites in there.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017

One of the Storm's abilities to hover for a long period of time. Storm can hover for a lot longer than any of the other javelins AFAIK.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
I wanted to main Storm but I might go with Interceptor, looks too cool for skool...

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Yeah you can play without voice chat. The developers even said they have tried to design mission objectives that are easy for teams to understand and complete without needing to talk to each other.

could be a good thing and bad thing...when even the most difficult stuff can be done without voice chat i don´t know if this really good tbh...sounds like very casual design

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am in the same boat. I was leaning towards PC for the improved visuals + 60fps but I have 0 friends on Origin and a lot on XBL that I'm sure will be playing Anthem. I am going to play the demos on PC and my X then hopefully make my decision afterwards.
I just pre-ordered on CDKeys. Legion of Dawn Edition for X1 for 47,89€

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I'm not sure I see the "Destiny" similarities outside of the abilities. The game is third person, highly mobile and open world. While both games share the games as a service model, I feel like Anthem is approaching it much differently in terms of gameplay and progression - but I guess we'll have to wait and see when the full game is out.

It actually feels really different to play. I remember being somewhat bored by Destiny in it's early showings but I have over 800 hours across Destiny 1 and 2 and love those games for how they feel - the way they play... something you can't really get from a video or a livestream. I'm even a lore nut for Destiny and realize that 99% of the playerbase knows nothing about that world really because the lore is so obtuse to get into... Anthem however will wear it's lore and it's world a little more on its sleeves than Destiny.

Looks like this was played on Easy. I got my ass kicked a few times when I played the game so just know that difficulty plays a big part in this... not just enemy levels/power but also the actual difficulty you set - something games like Destiny don't have.

I wanted to main Storm but I might go with Interceptor, looks too cool for skool...
It's becoming tougher as the days go on. I was actually in for the Ranger as the all 'rounder for a while but now I'm thinking Storm... but Interceptor looks cool too. Ahhh... so many choices.

Just a real quick thing I want to talk about with this game is the fact that people are prejudging it because of "BioWare's track record under EA" - and while I understand this sentiment to some extent, can we not just wait until people have played it and have their own opinions on it before shitting on it's still sealed game case because you didn't open it, you just decided to shit on it because it had EA on it. If this game is bad then the people will say so. Look at Destiny, it got shat on, it still does but Bungie managed to turn that around... twice. Warframe's community has had some pretty big issues with that game at times and DE have turned it around and listened to the community. It seems its hard to get a GaaS right from day one so I am somewhat afraid thousands of people will judge it on that Day 1... which is fair, but in 2020 Anthem may be so good that it eclipses its release. All hypothetical anyway, we have no idea what state this game will launch in but for anyone shitting on it atleast try to public demo for everyone in early Feb and play the game for an hour so you get an idea for the world, missions and gameplay (which I don't think that's long enough to form a complete opinion) so you'll atleast have tried it and said "oh, it's not for me" rather than just saying it sucks because your friend said so, or because EA made it or it looked bad in a video.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
I'm not sure I see the "Destiny" similarities outside of the abilities. The game is third person, highly mobile and open world. While both games share the games as a service model, I feel like Anthem is approaching it much differently in terms of gameplay and progression - but I guess we'll have to wait and see when the full game is out.

It actually feels really different to play. I remember being somewhat bored by Destiny in it's early showings but I have over 800 hours across Destiny 1 and 2 and love those games for how they feel - the way they play... something you can't really get from a video or a livestream. I'm even a lore nut for Destiny and realize that 99% of the playerbase knows nothing about that world really because the lore is so obtuse to get into... Anthem however will wear it's lore and it's world a little more on its sleeves than Destiny.

I agree with absolutely everything you say in your post, but I wanted to talk about this.

I don't have a lot of experience with Destiny, but I played the D2 beta and I've completed the main story and some PVP of D2 and I play Warframe.. and the feeling of these 3 games is not the same at all. Anthem reminds me way more of Monster Hunter World when it comes to the movement and way of playing than anything else.

The presentation of the abilities, yeah. Like, the visual effect. But outside of that,.. nothing else. And after having completed the main story of D2 (without having played D1, all must be said) I still don't exactly know how the world is. In Anthem it's way more similar to Dragon Age.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I agree with absolutely everything you say in your post, but I wanted to talk about this.

I don't have a lot of experience with Destiny, but I played the D2 beta and I've completed the main story and some PVP of D2 and I play Warframe.. and the feeling of these 3 games is not the same at all. Anthem reminds me way more of Monster Hunter World when it comes to the movement and way of playing than anything else.

The presentation of the abilities, yeah. Like, the visual effect. But outside of that,.. nothing else. And after having completed the main story of D2 (without having played D1, all must be said) I still don't exactly know how the world is. In Anthem it's way more similar to Dragon Age.
I agree. Those three games have their base model of being "Games as a Service" but very little else connects them. They all play differently, deliver story differently, handle player interaction differently, have different forms of linear and non-linear play spaces and look different too. Sure they all evolve over time and have frequent patches, content drops and DLC... they also all feature micro transactions in different ways but personally neither Destiny nor Warframe are pay to win and BioWare have said Anthem won't be either. A lot of these games also have some gameplay similarities in the fact you can shoot, melee, throw grenades, use a special/super power and upgrade your character... but these are just staples in a larger genre that apply to a much larger selection of games than just GaaS.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
Judgments about this game are so enhanced by experiencing it. "Feeling" the gameplay is, er, well, there's a demo soon.

Yeah I know. It's just my experience is telling me it looks like a game where you run to a location, shoot enemies and numbers pop out, whilst NPCs natter over a radio, then you go somewhere else and repeat. I just don't find that sort of thing compelling.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I know. It's just my experience is telling me it looks like a game where you run to a location, shoot enemies and numbers pop out, whilst NPCs natter over a radio, then you go somewhere else and repeat. I just don't find that sort of thing compelling.

If you want to be that reductive no one can stop you, but there's more to it than that.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I pre-ordered it but ended up cancelling it since it's under EA.

HonestBraveHamster-size_restricted.gif

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Will this game satisfy my looting min/max itch?
The recent dev stream on loot will answer it more.

Different rarities, inscriptions (Added bonuses on items) random roll, so you may want to keep hunting for the best combination. Weapon and gear loadouts can be tailored around the skills you want, so you start gearing up to link to those needs i.e. extended hovering which feeds into the other systems such as added bonus to X damage while hovering and if you kill with X damage, you also get another bonus that feeds into something else.

Check the video, well worth it.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I think when people say this, they're talking reductively about the high level structure of the game. The game mechanically is pretty obviously different. Or at least I hope that's obvious to people.

labx

Oct 25, 2017
Medellín, Colombia
So I'm super confused is this like a Destiny game with bioware narrative? It focus on CO-OP or I can enjoy all the content by myself? If the game is structured like Destiny, so that the end game is the real game, and the raids are the most important event in the game...I'm out.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I like what I see. However the BIG question is, is with end game and will all of it (or at least most) be tied to a matchmaking system.
Hopefully they have a Dev Stream that focuses more around endgame. They have talked a little about plans but outside of Strongholds they have not talked Raids etc. They have talked about plans for endgame that people want to work towards.

Also, everything is said to have matchmaking.

Oct 29, 2017
Destiny, Warframe, and Diablo 3 have proven that itemization is really, really hard to nail. Best of luck to Bioware, but Anthem seems oddly put together in this area.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm super confused is this like a Destiny game with bioware narrative? It focus on CO-OP or I can enjoy all the content by myself? If the game is structured like Destiny, so that the end game is the real game, and the raids are the most important event in the game...I'm out.
Think of it like this. It's sort of a Destiny like game except when you're in the city doing story stuff and talking to NPCs, it's a single player game with a Bioware-ish narrative. When you go out and do missions and combat, it matches you up with other players or you group up with friends and it becomes co-op. I believe you can do them solo if you want but that's probably not recommended at higher levels. I don't think we know enough about the end game yet to know where it leans.

Oct 30, 2017
United States
So i was rewatching the IGN video, and I noticed that both the interceptor melee and the colossus melee moves set off combos on frozen enemies at various points during the mission. Assuming all of the javelins can do the same,that may give another layer or depth to close ranged builds, and solo builds as well!

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
So i was rewatching the IGN video, and I noticed that both the interceptor melee and the colossus melee moves set off combos on frozen enemies at various points during the mission. Assuming all of the javelins can do the same,that may give another layer or depth to close ranged builds, and solo builds as well!

The javelin power-ups can have increases to different element types that can then be comboed melee attacks.

I think in the stronghold demo the melee attacks built up frost effects on enemies that could be comboed by the other players.

Oct 30, 2017
United States
The javelin power-ups can have increases to different element types that can then be comboed melee attacks.

I think in the stronghold demo the melee attacks built up frost effects on enemies that could be comboed by the other players.

That is good to know! I need to keep reminding myself that there will be abilities tree that provide more depth to what's we've already seen of the gameplay

Status
Not open for further replies.