• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruu

Oct 28, 2017
My daughter collected almost all the amiibo cards (she loves Happy Home Designer a lot, in fact I think shes in the other room playing it now) so I was pretty excited to get one of my favorites to join my island so easily.

marina-fefba9e76b0c64ac1d7315412d0a065b5e73158e3a506955c336957493d79fb6.png

Oct 25, 2017
I have a couple questions, if anyone has any insight:
  • Every so often I'll hear a noise that sounds like frogs. Little peep frogs or something. Is that just an environmental sound or is that something I can collect?
  • I want to move a couple buildings because I set them right next to a river. Just a single space so I can access the river from that side. I've read that your building stays where it is while the new spot for it is also in place. Will I have to do multiple moves to accomplish this?
I know I had more but idr them right now hahaha

The sound is a mole cricket, the most annoying bug in the game. They hide underground, and you have to dig where the sound is the loudest. They're only worth 500 bells, so after you get one in the musuem, they're not really worth tracking down.

For moving buildings just a square over, yes, you'll have to move it far out of the way one day, and then back to where you want it the next.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Hey recipe experts: How many cherry blossom and sakura recipes are there?

I have 13 + the pond stone (and I don't understand why it's not part of that set going by the background color of the recipe).

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
I have a couple questions, if anyone has any insight:
  • Every so often I'll hear a noise that sounds like frogs. Little peep frogs or something. Is that just an environmental sound or is that something I can collect?

• Might be mole crickets. Go to wear the sound is loudest and dig, you can pull one up if you dig in the right spot and catch it with a net.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
For me Animal Crossing is a cute game where your perform all kinds of activities. As such I really like the crafting and nothing about the tool durability bothers me. It's just another thing to do. If I'm worried a tool will break before I'm about to use it a lot, I customize it so it resets. If it breaks any other time I just make a new one. With the game taking place in real time, I don't feel like it's a setback at all. I'm in no rush, there's plenty of time to accomplish what I want to do. I'm in this for the long haul.

I know people don't like these mechanics, though. I'm aware it's an inconvenience for some, but for me it's just another thing to do in this cute little world.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
AC has always been like that and I can only assume it's a thought out deliberate decision.

I would guess it's because the game is meant to feel like a slow paced interactive experience, rather than feeling like you're going through menus and numbers. This shows from the title screen, in which there's no menu and even settings are made of dialogue interaction.

Even though I also find it stupid and annoying at times, I'm sure there's an unconscious effect on players' experience.

It's not relaxing though if you have to shovel the ground 8 times just to get one bit in the right place . A little Minecraft highlight icon or something would help a huge amount

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I've been struggling with 30 pieces of iron for a while, partially because of being RNG screwed and partially because I didn't understand that you could farm rocks without breaking them so there was a while where my only resource for iron was nook miles.

The game seemed to sense my struggle and blessed me with 5 pieces of iron from the sky earlier today. Now I have 28 pieces. One more nook miles trip should get me there.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It's not relaxing though if you have to shovel the ground 8 times just to get one bit in the right place . A little Minecraft highlight icon or something would help a huge amount

Is the L button used for anything? It doesn't seem to be bound to a function. Would be nice if it highlighted the square/space your character is targeting, like in MC or even Stardew.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
The sound is a mole cricket, the most annoying bug in the game. They hide underground, and you have to dig where the sound is the loudest. They're only worth 500 bells, so after you get one in the musuem, they're not really worth tracking down.

For moving buildings just a square over, yes, you'll have to move it far out of the way one day, and then back to where you want it the next.

• Might be mole crickets. Go to wear the sound is loudest and dig, you can pull one up if you dig in the right spot and catch it with a net.
Hey thanks!!

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

I have 13 + the pond stone (and I don't understand why it's not part of that set going by the background color of the recipe).

wow I still only have the first one. Are you farming for balloons and if so how long did it take?

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I have 2 Switches. If we want 2 islands, we have to buy a second copy of the game, right?

Along with that, if the game is already downloaded on both Switches and we buy a 2nd copy, do we need to delete & redownload the game?

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Happy to report that I now have 13 Cherry Blossom recipes and that I'm only missing the wand! Wish me luck, I'll try to get it in the next hour!

I've been playing online, but only visiting others.
Is there any way to determine when stars will fall? I've been watching every day and see nothing.

There's no way to know, stars will fall at night only, and they'll make a sparkling/twinkling sound that is very distinctive of them when they fall.

You have all of the Cherry Blossom recipes, yes.

Cubo

May 14, 2018
I have 2 Switches. If we want 2 islands, we have to buy a second copy of the game, right?

Along with that, if the game is already downloaded on both Switches and we buy a 2nd copy, do we need to delete & redownload the game?

Not if you bought digitally and share the game in two different accounts.

Edit: I'm answering to the first question. You need only buy one copy.

Last edited:

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
The entire game is a shitshow of QoL considerations for the players, to be honest. Why can't I go into Mabel's dressing room or my own wardrobe with a wand outfit? Why do I have to click through 6 different questions to visit someone's island? Why do I have to manually pull everything out to build DIY, but there's no way to pull a specific amount out, ensuring I'll have to put some materials back in? Why can't I select making multiples of an item at once? Why can I only buy 1 piece of clothing of a designated type at a time in Mabel's dressing room? And literally etc, etc, etc. - I'm barely at the tip of my complaints.

For my first AC, I'm having a blast. But I'm astounded that Nintendo has such an incredibly clunky, unfriendly game in one of their premier franchises.
QoL is practically nonexistent in this game. I'm hoping to god they'll patch some of it in at some point, but not holding my breath.

TangoTango

Oct 30, 2017
How many bunny day recipes are there? I have 37, but I heard there's 38, and I haven't gotten a new recipe in a while.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
How did people get so many cherry blossom recipes wtf.

I only have 3, and it's not like I've been playing for just short bursts here and there.

Maybe the Bunny Day stuff is eating into my recipe count? I'm at least almost done with collecting all of those.

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017
One of my villagers told me she's moving out. What happens to her home? Does it become a plot for a future house or just disappear?

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017

I only have 3, and it's not like I've been playing for just short bursts here and there.

Maybe the Bunny Day stuff is eating into my recipe count? I'm at least almost done with collecting all of those.

Ignoring striped egg balloons, and basically just figuring out which side of the island balloons are spawning from and walking up and down the beach on that side every few minutes. I played from 9 am to 2 pm (a lot of that being idle and looking at resetera until the next time I needed to stalk the beach) and got 5 recipes.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Does anyone know if the snapping turtle is in a specific part of the river/at a certain height?

Whenever I caught one, it was from the lower part of the river, not on the cliffs.

Like I said several times in this thread already: I spend hours grinding for them.
Currently the wind goes from west to east on my island, so I'm on the west beach, going up and down catching a look at any wooshing sound I hear and shooting down normal looking balloons (not the Easter egg ones, cherry blossom recipes don't drop from those, they only drop from normal balloons).

One of my villagers told me she's moving out. What happens to her home? Does it become a plot for a future house or just disappear?

Pretty certain it becomes a plot again, that will be used by your next villager moving in.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Last night I successfully created a Tarantula Island. I was hunting them down and I realized I forgot a palm tree on the beach, but as I approached I noticed an Atlas Moth. I left the tree standing and ended up with pockets brimming with spiders and Atlas moths.

What I had failed to know was that Atlas Moths are only worth 3k. Why on earth was I hunting under the assumption that they were $15k?

Lusamine

Oct 25, 2017
Ignoring striped egg balloons, and basically just figuring out which side of the island balloons are spawning from and walking up and down the beach on that side every few minutes. I played from 9 am to 2 pm (a lot of that being idle and looking at resetera until the next time I needed to stalk the beach) and got 5 recipes.
Not every few, specifically on XX:X0 and XX:X5, usually one every ten minutes, but not always. Comes from the East at 6 am, and the West after 6 pm; don't know if this changes in Southern Hemisphere.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bought into the waterfall hype and started putting small rivers friggin everywhere. Hopping around all over the place is a bit much but aesthetics yall

Also I'm surprised they kept a lot of features from NL considering how they feel awfully outdated by now.
I'm confused why they kept the placing of structures/buildings system (having to vaguely put your chara somewhere and hope the game understands what you mean, not understanding what the exact space limitations are, the "imagining" of the structure is in a locked view) the same considering how frustrating it was in NL. It's improved in that I can actually see the rectangle of space now, but it's still.. ??? bruh

Oct 25, 2017
you can rate as often as you like - I got my 2 start rating, went and crafted some fence, laid it and went back and got another rating of 3 star - all in then same day
I guess I really just don't know what it wants then. I have lots of fruit trees, all fruit trees, a huge variety of flowers, probably 200 pieces of fencing now, tons of furniture outside that is a mixture of stuff, and it keeps telling me that I need either more "appealing scenery", "more fences", and now "more storefronts" even though I have the Tailor, Museum, and Nook's Cranny all sitting there; what other storefronts can I even get?!!?!

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
Lucking out and finding tarantula island, having an almost full inventory of tarantulas and having spike on my island = over 400,000 bells made in 20 mins lol

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
silly question but: I've 2 empty houses, any chance i can do anything to increase the likelihood of lucky, ankha or someone interesting moving in?

I've got gym stuff we could catalogue swap for!

Pull up Stand (blue)
Weight Bench (black)
Speed Bag (blue)
Heavy Bag (Black or Red)
Exercise Bike
Exercise Ball (Blue, Pink or Gold)
Protein Shakes (Green and Purple)

Let me know if you're down!

nice - i could go for a weight bench & exercise bike! I've an extra barbell about too

Oct 25, 2017
Just counted 35 Bunny Day items that I've crafted. Is the number 36 or 38, and do I have to do anything special to get the final recipes? Thanks in advance.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I really just don't know what it wants then. I have lots of fruit trees, all fruit trees, a huge variety of flowers, probably 200 pieces of fencing now, tons of furniture outside that is a mixture of stuff, and it keeps telling me that I need either more "appealing scenery", "more fences", and now "more storefronts" even though I have the Tailor, Museum, and Nook's Cranny all sitting there; what other storefronts can I even get?!!?!

maybe *less* fruit trees? Don't know if it likes some of each type. Clear of weeds and 8 animals?

storefront comment sounds odd

Oct 25, 2017
The only recipes that you can't find are the costume ones for when you collect each kind of egg, right? Well, that and the two you get for getting all those costume ones.

I've crafted all the egg costume pieces after having epiphanies for each one, plus the egg party hat and dress, which I also had epiphanies about. Are there egg party shoes that I didn't somehow realize that I could craft?

Other than that, I've crafted a bunch of other stuff that I got from bottles or egg-presents, eighteen items in all.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018

I saw you only have the 50 pieces Of fencing Tom nook gave you—it wants you to use way more than that, in my experience.
Also I have no clue what the storefront comment is about but a friend got it as well. Bizarre.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Not being able to buy all the colors of shoes (for example) in one go of Mabels dressing room is an absolute joke. Just check off everything you want and purchase it all. Have a cart to verify the list of what you checked off.

Also, house storage and closet storage should be separate.

Status
Not open for further replies.