• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
in a moment you will get the new "2020 responses" ...
- Consoles sold does not matter anymore.
- This is why they go for subscriptions instead.
- They are well set for next gen because they are getting lots of subs to their services.
- Services are the future, not consoles.
- etc.
-that's not true
-no according to Matt Xbox was/still never profitable to them so they have to find new ways
-we don't know sbout that yet (could be/couldn't)
-maybe i find myself liking Sub more and more since i can play more games (My budget for games was really one old game evey year and now around 50$ for the whole year.... so sub is the future for me

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Looks like Microsoft will be forced to do a press event before e3 in order to change narrative.

Edit: ahhhh i see the people who still think console sales matter next gen when everything will also be sold on pc and playable on phones have arrived. Joy

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
i still don't belive that sony will release their flagship titles on PC even after jasen saying that and releasing them Day one their will affects the console...

i still don't believe sony will release their games on PC
The PC has a few Sony exclusives from this generation on or coming to PC, Detroit Become Human, Death Stranding, Horizon Zero Dawn, The Show... Rumors about Dreams coming to PC too. Sony has even published that smaller 'ready set heroes' on PC and that other Sony game Tiny Army or whatever it was called, came out on Switch.

Sony seems to be chasing the same strategy on PC as Nintendo is with mobile, the difference being that Nintendo is making separate smaller games for mobile.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
And my Samsung galaxy phone is a desktop hybrid since it has a dock that connects to a monitor. Its not a hybrid, its a 6 inch screen tablet handheld console that connects to a TV via a dock. I have a switch, it only goes in the dock to charge and I bet folks seldom use it in the dock.

the original switch was designed and marketed as a hybrid. It's both. It's a hybrid because Nintendo says it is, and because of common parlance.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised by so many people not being surprised. That's not what the prediction threads about Nintendo NX threads said in 2016, that the weird handheld/console hybrid successor to WiiU will surpass Xbone in less than 3 years.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
It's not a hybrid if I don't use the dock right? In japan since 2017, you've been able to buy it at ~$240 without a dock, was it still a hybrid system?

I'm not knocking the Switch, but the PSP and Nomad were able to play on the TV before too right? What I said is that the Nintendo Switch is a portable that can be used as a home console, that makes it both, but it is clearly a portable device.
Eh.....no. First the dockless Switch was available since May 2018, not 2017. And that sku is literally called "2nd unit set". It's targeting households who already own a Switch + dock and other accessories. Hence why it doesn't come with the Joy-con grip, dock, hdmi cable. An AC adapter is also NOT included. That alone says enough. The Switch is a through and through hybrid. The Switch Lite is the pure handheld.

This is literally what's included in the box:

00001116_820_461.jpg

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
the original switch was designed and marketed as a hybrid. It's both. It's a hybrid because Nintendo says it is, and because of common parlance.
The need to separate portables and home consoles have disappeared with the platform holders supporting both devices at one time anyways. The name is no longer a sales category anymore, Switch is a portable, even if you look at it as a home console device, you have to admit that it takes extra pieces of hardware to achieve this, it doesn't simply allow USB-C to HDMI, you need a separate, sometimes sold separately device, in order for it to work, and now a cheaper model has dropped that function all together to chase a lower price point.

The Switch is a portable, it can also be described as a hybrid or home console, but it is a device you can play on the go, and that feature dominates every design choice made by Nintendo, from the controllers that remove, to the screen that covers 40% of the body, to the large battery that takes up 40% of the inside space of the device.
Eh.....no. First the dockless Switch was available since May 2018, not 2017. And that sku is literally called "2nd unit set". It's targeting households who already own a Switch + dock and other accessories. Hence why it doesn't come with the Joy-con grip, dock, hdmi cable. An AC adapter is also NOT included. That alone says enough. The Switch is a through and through hybrid. The Switch Lite is the pure handheld.
It's all semantics and opinions here, but if you want to call the Switch a portable, you are 100% correct. If you want to call it a home console or a hybrid, well you'd only be mostly accurate.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Based on the last stats we have about docked/undocked usage from the end of 2017, you'd be wrong

Edit: these stats from mid 2018 tell a similar story
Both stats is interpreted from this chart. Its not really clear but what is clear is handheld is favored over dock. I play sometimes when is docked too but majority of the time it used handheld. Still not a hybrid. It is clearly a portable console with a dock.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Looks like Microsoft will be forced to do a press event before e3 in order to change narrative.

Edit: ahhhh i see the people who still think console sales matter next gen when everything will also be sold on pc and playable on phones have arrived. Joy

what everything will be sold on PC and phones? Just because Microsoft will do it.. does not mean that the others do the same.
Nintendo will not sell their games on PC or Phone, Phone market is already doing well for them with their Phone games. Sony we don't know .. we know they have PS Now, but that still needs consoles to sell. We have rumors saying 3 year old games will come to PC, that still changes nothing.. maybe it will change soon, but what we know now is that MS is the only out of the 3 that is betting big time on subs and other platforms to play their games on.

Last edited:

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
what everything will be sold on PC and phones? Just because Microsoft will do it.. does not equate the others doing the same.
Nintendo will not sell their games on PC or Phone, Phone market is already doing well for them with their Phone games. Sony we don't know .. we know they have PS Now, but that still needs consoles to sell. We have rumors saying 3 year old games will come to PC, that still changes nothing.. maybe it will change soon, but what we know now is that MS is the only out of the 3 that is betting big time on subs and other platforms to play their games on.
Newer games like detroit become human came to PC sooner than that though, there also seems to be hints about PC getting Dreams eventually here too, also The Show is coming to PC too now. It's not just a couple games, but it isn't every game either... I think Sony is just using the PC market like Nintendo is trying to use the mobile market.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
It's all semantics and opinions here, but if you want to call the Switch a portable, you are 100% correct. If you want to call it a home console or a hybrid, well you'd only be mostly accurate.
Tbh, I don't care what you call the Switch, that's whatever. Just wanted to point out how wrong you were about almost anything about the "2nd unit set". Date available wrong and usage also wrong. It's not for people who wants a "portable-only" Switch. Because that wouldn't even work, since it doesn't come with the AC adapter.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Newer games like detroit become human came to PC sooner than that though, there also seems to be hints about PC getting Dreams eventually here too, also The Show is coming to PC too now. It's not just a couple games, but it isn't every game either... I think Sony is just using the PC market like Nintendo is trying to use the mobile market.

makes sense.. but this comment
does not fit into that .. and that was the comment I was responding to.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
The need to separate portables and home consoles have disappeared with the platform holders supporting both devices at one time anyways. The name is no longer a sales category anymore, Switch is a portable, even if you look at it as a home console device, you have to admit that it takes extra pieces of hardware to achieve this, it doesn't simply allow USB-C to HDMI, you need a separate, sometimes sold separately device, in order for it to work, and now a cheaper model has dropped that function all together to chase a lower price point.

The Switch is a portable, it can also be described as a hybrid or home console, but it is a device you can play on the go, and that feature dominates every design choice made by Nintendo, from the controllers that remove, to the screen that covers 40% of the body, to the large battery that takes up 40% of the inside space of the device.

portability is a requirement of it being a hybrid. Saying it is a hybrid console tells you everything about it and is consistent with marketing. A hybrid is a subset of portable by definition. So calling it that is correct but doesn't tell you as much as calling it a hybrid which is appropriate as well

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
The design is a handheld. The dock is a separate unit that connects it to the TV. They market it however they choose. Heck the WiiU is more of a hybrid in terms of design to me. Switch is a stand-alone portable console. The dock doesn't even need to exist as a USB C to HDMI cable should have worked but of course Nintendo does not allow that.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
The PC has a few Sony exclusives from this generation on or coming to PC, Detroit Become Human, Death Stranding, Horizon Zero Dawn, The Show... Rumors about Dreams coming to PC too. Sony has even published that smaller 'ready set heroes' on PC and that other Sony game Tiny Army or whatever it was called, came out on Switch.

Sony seems to be chasing the same strategy on PC as Nintendo is with mobile, the difference being that Nintendo is making separate smaller games for mobile.
well if they aren't day one then it will not effect them much

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh, I don't care what you call the Switch, that's whatever. Just wanted to point out how wrong you were about almost anything about the "2nd unit set". Date available wrong and usage also wrong. It's not for people who wants a "portable-only" Switch. Because that wouldn't even work, since it doesn't come with the AC adapter.
Being wrong on the internet is a capital offense sure, but being wrong about timing is really the only thing here imo. N3DS didn't come with the AC Adapter in the states either, were these suppose to only be sold to existing customers? USB-C is a very common cord, the lack of it's inclusion isn't a big deal.
portability is a requirement of it being a hybrid. Saying it is a hybrid console tells you everything about it and is consistent with marketing. A hybrid is a subset of portable by definition. So calling it that is correct but doesn't tell you as much as calling it a hybrid which is appropriate as well
Like I said, this is more about opinions than objective facts, over 10% of Switch units can't be described as hybrid consoles. All I said is that it's a portable that can be used as a home console, that is really not something bold or even outside of Nintendo's own marketing, as they show it as a portable in all their marketing and sometimes show it docked.
well if they aren't day one then it will not effect them much
I agree, I'm not trying to say Sony is in trouble or that all their games are going PC, I'm just pointing out things that seem to distress a lot of people I guess. Sony is going to make some money on the PC market with their games, not a bad business and if it starts effecting the Playstation brand, they could always stop doing it.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
The design is a handheld. The dock is a separate unit that connects it to the TV. They market it however they choose. Heck the WiiU is more of a hybrid in terms of design to me. Switch is a stand-alone portable console. The dock doesn't even need to exist as a USB C to HDMI cable should have worked but of course Nintendo does not allow that.

The dock does need to exist because the switch can't draw enough power over USBC-HDMI to power docked mode. The dock is part of the original concept hand-in-glove. The switch requires 15v adaptor to output in docked mode I believe

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
The Dock isn't optional but part of the Switch SKU - that's like saying the PS4 isn't a console because the Dual Shock 4 is a separate unit, making it miss a controller.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
The dock does need to exist because the switch can't draw enough power over USBC-HDMI to power docked mode. The dock is part of the original concept hand-in-glove. The switch requires 15v adaptor to output in docked mode I believe
Actually can't believe there are still people who argue against the fact that the Switch is both a handheld and a home console nearly three years after release.

There's even a dedicated handheld version of the Switch, you'd think some clarity would hit them at that point that original version having both traits differentiates things...

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
The Switch can be powered by the battery to reach docked mode, you can find proof of this all over the internet with hacked Switch units. Yes it would eventually die, but the real problem with USBC to HDMI is that Switch requires a decoder chip inside the dock, so it can't be done without a custom made cord anyways, and now Nintendo sells it without the ability to connect to the TV at all, meaning that the Switch is definitely a portable, and also a hybrid or a home console some of the time.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Xbox sold 41M at the end of last year and 3M this year in usa, to be above 52M they need to have sold 8M WW.

Not 8M WW, but 8M Rest of the World! Which it hasn't.

Generous aproximation would be 2M RotW, for a total of 5M WW

No mate, we are at 46M now.

They sold 3M in 2019 in the NPD.

The NPD is around 66-68% of total sales, that makes 5M total, Worldwide, in 2019.

So 41M +5M = 46M

I predict that, if they sold 5M in 2019, they won't sell more than 4M in 2020.

46M now, + 4M in 2020 = 50M January 2021

Edit: If the 41M was correct a year ago

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Actually can't believe there are still people who argue against the fact that the Switch is both a handheld and a home console nearly three years after release.

There's even a dedicated handheld version of the Switch, you'd think some clarity would hit them at that point.
I don't think I'm saying that it isn't a hybrid or a home console. I'm just saying it IS a portable, and at least sometimes it is also those other things.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Wait. Xbox One managed to break 50 million? Seriously?

Wow. Thought it MIGHT eek it's way to 50 by the end of the gen, but it might even clear it it seems. Not a bad turnaround from the disastrous launch.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have much to say other than I'm thrilled Nintendo found success with the Switch. I hope it continues to sell well.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017

There's even a dedicated handheld version of the Switch, you'd think some clarity would hit them at that point that original version having both traits differentiates things...
That is not the argument being had. No one here is denying that it functions as a home console. From purely design, it is a handheld but it has a dock which makes it function as a home console. To me it is not a hybrid, Wii U is a hybrid.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
The Switch can be powered by the battery to reach docked mode, you can find proof of this all over the internet with hacked Switch units. Yes it would eventually die, but the real problem with USBC to HDMI is that Switch requires a decoder chip inside the dock, so it can't be done without a custom made cord anyways, and now Nintendo sells it without the ability to connect to the TV at all, meaning that the Switch is definitely a portable, and also a hybrid or a home console some of the time.
its designed that way because it's intended to be a hybrid. It is marketed as a hybrid. Which is a subset of portable consoles. It's both

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
That is not the argument being had. No one here is denying that it functions as a home console. From purely design, it is a handheld but it has a dock which makes it function as a home console. To me it is not a hybrid, Wii U is a hybrid.
It's a portable that also functions as a home console. It has functions of both, so it's a hybrid. I don't get what's wrong or controversial about calling it such, or what's different about calling it a hybrid from saying it functions as both a handheld and home console...

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
I took a long hard look at XB exclusives before purchasing a PS4, all I can say is they seem to be boxing themselves into a particular selection of genres and not catering to those that Nintendo and Sony do, as far as variety on consoles Sony is killing them, and now that Nintendo have cracked the case with 3rd parties and Indies none of this is surprising.

In my very honest and simple opinion, not to dig at the Xbox because they are great consolse, but I think MS are still chasing hardware and not enough software, I couldn't find a single first-party system seller on the XB1 but found many on the PS4, I know I'm not representitive of every gamer, but I just found a lot of hardcore, masculine, shoot everything, look-how-bad-ass-i-am types of titles that simply don't appeal to me, I dunno, could be my age but I want substance in story and more emotion in those big first-party titles, and for me Nintendo & Sony have got that cracked.

Jun 10, 2018
THANK YOU

To put it more aptly: Wii U is far more deserving of the "home console you can take on the go" moniker than the Switch, precisely because the stationary TV experience isn't sacrificed for the inclusion of portability.

The Switch is the virtual inverse of the Wii U right down to it's design, which is why it always humored me when the anti-handheld crowd proclaimed the Switch was "everything the Wii U was supposed to be". Those words are (and still is) a tacit admission marketing was the only difference between their acceptance of the Switch vs. prior handhelds.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
I took a long hard look at XB exclusives before purchasing a PS4, all I can say is they seem to be boxing themselves into a particular selection of genres and not catering to those that Nintendo and Sony do, as far as variety on consoles Sony is killing them, and now that Nintendo have cracked the case with 3rd parties and Indies none of this is surprising.

In my very honest and simple opinion, not to dig at the Xbox because they are great consolse, but I think MS are still chasing hardware and not enough software, I couldn't find a single first-party system seller on the XB1 but found many on the PS4, I know I'm not representitive of every gamer, but I just found a lot of hardcore, masculine, shoot everything, look-how-bad-ass-i-am types of titles that simply don't appeal to me, I dunno, could be my age but I want substance in story and more emotion in those big first-party titles, and for me Nintendo & Sony have got that cracked.

Before the Xbox one I would agree with this statement nowadays I would increasingly disagree. The stigma of the dude bro console really needs to die as it's not been true for nearly a decade.