• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When is 1.1 firmware dropping?

• Friday (28th)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Weekend (29-30)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Monday (31st)

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • February

Votes: 20 58.8%

Votes: 8 23.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Looks good, $200 isnt too bad if you compare it to what modded GBAs are going for, especially with the better screen and extra features this will provide.

Not too happy with the design, they really should get rid of that fpga logo on the bottom corner and move the start and select buttons. Also interesting that they went with a vertical style design when the GBA, NeoGeo Pocket, Game Gear and Lynx were all horizontal systems.
GB, GBC and for most the GBA's life the systems were vertical so I can see their reasoning.

OP
OP
SoH

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
they really should get rid of that fpga logo on the bottom corner
But how would you lord your superior reference quality product over the rubes playing their video games on lowly software emulators? I can't possibly catch em all unless I am sure the person sitting next to me on my flight knows I'm no chump.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I feel like the shoulder buttons are in the best possible spot they can be in. It'll feel like an SP but just always flipped open.

*Edit: Also, RIP the modded GBA I bought a little while ago. Not sure I'll ever play it again.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I wonder what the battery life will be like?. The GBA SP had like 10-20 hours depending on the brightness or something right?; that thing used to last fucking forever.

OP
OP
SoH

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what the battery life will be like?. The GBA SP had like 10-20 hours depending on the brightness or something right?; that thing used to last fucking forever.
"presumably longer than a Lynx's six AAs." Jeremy Parish, in the year of our lord Luigi, 2019, October of the new moon.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spoting fakes is prety easy
Yup.

-Look at the label, are there two small numbers engraved on it? Is it glossy? If not, likely fake. The label not being well positioned is a good, but not perfect, indication too. (for GBA I mean)
-Shopping on Ebay, is the price too good? Is it shipped from China? If yes, likely fake.
-Ultimately, buying a 1$ screwdriver is the best way to spot a fake as well. Once you compare a repro board to an authentic one, you can make the distinction easily. But the two options above are good steps to do when shopping as well to avoid some unwanted frustrations.

In my ten years of collecting I ended up buying a fake once, I promptly returned it and got a refund. Ebay will take your side, especially if it's not written anywhere in the item description that it's a repro. Surely it won't be as easy today as back then, but heh, I see this as some little extra challenges.

Oct 27, 2017
This looks great, but I'd prefer a clamshell design like the GBA SP if possible. I think I want one. I love that it's >600 ppi.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
it probably will, but don't think that CPUs are linear ramps like this. The GBA uses a RISC processor, which is inherently less mechanically complex than, say, the 68000, which is a CISC architecture. That's quite literally what the the "reduced" in "RISC" is about -- less physical opcode/instruction circuitry.
Sure but it's not as simple as CISC vs RISC either. The ARM7TMDI used in the GBA might have a simpler instruction decode unit but it also has a chunkier excution unit than the 68000. If you actually look at the transistor counts, the 68000 has 68K transistors (hence the name) whilst the ARM7TMDI has slightly more at 74K. As for how that translates to logic element usage on an FPGA, I'm not sure, but I imagine it'd be fairly close overall.

Anyway the CPU is hardly the only chip that needs to be implemented in the FPGA. The GBA has a far more complex video processor but saves a bit on complexity by not having a dedicated sound processor. So overall it'd be hard to say which core actually uses more logic elements. I'm guessing they'd be pretty close overall.

Last edited:

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I feel like the shoulder buttons are in the best possible spot they can be in. It'll feel like an SP but just always flipped open.

*Edit: Also, RIP the modded GBA I bought a little while ago. Not sure I'll ever play it again.
I was looking up modded SP prices with the AGS 101 screens and they're typically like $150 so this definitely seems like a better deal if you don't mind not having actual Nintendo hardware.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure but it's not as simple as CISC vs RISC either. The ARM7TMDI used in the GBA might have a simpler instruction decode unit but it also has a considerably chunkier excution unit than the 68000. If you actually look at the transistor counts, the 68000 has 68K transistors (hence the name) whilst the ARM7TMDI has slightly more at 74K. As for how that translates to logic element usage on an FPGA, I'm not sure, but I imagine it'd be fairly close overall.

Anyway the CPU is hardly the only chip that needs to be implemented in the FPGA. The GBA has a far more complex video processor but saves a bit on complexity by not having a dedicated sound processor. So overall it'd be hard to say which core actually uses more logic elements. I'm guessing they'd be pretty close overall.

Don't get me wrong, my post wasn't to say either machine is necessarily easier to simulate than the other. The point was that technology is not a linear ramp, that something that comes later isn't necessarily "more difficult" or "harder" to simulate. There are trade offs on every CPU.

But speaking about other chips on the machine, the GBA lacks a dedicated sound chip and a sound processor to run driver code on. With regards to the Megadrive, you need to also simulate the YM2612 and the Z80 on top of the m68000, the Texas Instruments VDP, etc.

Overall point -- technology is not conducive to DBZ style power level ratings. Tech is a series of trade offs.

OP
OP
SoH

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
YdLOQjt.png

That's a big deal.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
Don't get me wrong, my post wasn't to say either machine is necessarily easier to simulate than the other. The point was that technology is not a linear ramp, that something that comes later isn't necessarily "more difficult" or "harder" to simulate. There are trade offs on every CPU.

But speaking about other chips on the machine, the GBA lacks a dedicated sound chip and a sound processor to run driver code on. With regards to the Megadrive, you need to also simulate the YM2612 and the Z80 on top of the m68000, the Texas Instruments VDP, etc.

Overall point -- technology is not conducive to DBZ style power level ratings. Tech is a series of trade offs.
True. I can definitely agree with the moral of your argument.

Oh cool. I'm in the early stages of designing my own custom NES core, for fun, to run on the DE10-nano/Mister. It'll be pretty awesome to be able to run it on this device too (if I ever complete it) without too much modification.

Last edited:

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
So both FPGA's will be available to developers then? Damn, That means any MiSTer core should be able to be ported

OP
OP
SoH

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
So both FPGA's will be available to developers then? Damn, That means any MiSTer core should be able to be ported
Some might destroy the battery, hard to say, but yeah, pretty much everything should be possible except maybe those massive memory neo geo games.

Radokat

Oct 30, 2017
Heck, the SuperNT can already run gameboy games if jailbroken.
I don't think it can - the NTmini yes but not the SuperNT.
The additional cores on the NTmini after the jailbreak were a big part why I'm so sad that I didn't buy one.

That both FPGAs are accessible to devs is nice - I wonder what the community can do with this assuming they get enough devices out to the public.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I know it's not an emulator but it would be amazing if someone figured out a way to run pico8 games on this.
I'm pretty excited for this, as I use my Game Boy Light pretty often!!

pikablu

Oct 28, 2017
This is hands down the most excited I've been for an analogue system. My hype is sky high.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
I'm in. Wonder if it will work with an ever drive.

Also wonder if the black model has a glossy finish. The black looks better than the white but I don't want a finger print magnet.

Their consoles usually work with pretty much everything so it probably will work.

I'm SO in on this. Has anyone purchased any other Analogue items in the past? I know they have a good reputation, but how was your personal experience with using their hardware?
Their products are great and I've never had a defect so I don't know how their service really is but when I had a question they were very quick to reply and were very friendly.

knowing analogue's history-- the only cores this will handle will be the ones for the announced cartridge adapters.

My guess is no nes/snes/genesis

The MiSTer being so popular might have changed how they support their products. That second fpga chip is promising

I kind of dig it. However, how does it work ? Did they reverse engineered the GBA ?

Basically if it's anything like other FPGA implementations like their other consoles and MiSTer

Last edited:

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I know it's not an emulator but it would be amazing if someone figured out a way to run pico8 games on this.
I'm pretty excited for this, as I use my Game Boy Light pretty often!!

Can't really see Pico8 happening, it isn't a design based on actual silicon. This has been discussed before in the FPGA community FWIW though I don't have a link saved.

galvatron

Oct 27, 2017
Austin, TX
Wow, they had me at GBA, but possible Mister cores and having access to experiment with developing some myself make this seem like a steal. Hope the dock is $100 or less and that it allows native res output for each core, though doing neither of those would likely not deter me.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
So what's the main fpga?
I really like they give you another one for devs. Seems my VHDL will come in handy lol

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Again not necessarily. The Cyclone V variant used by Analogue has 45k LEs, the Cyclone V in the DE-10 nano has 110k LEs

Space can (and will) be a limiting factor. Sorg mentionned it when someone asked for cores to be ported to the DE-0 Nano which has about 80k LEs

milkham

Oct 25, 2017
This looks really good, my only concern is how hard/easy it is to replace the battery down the line.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Does it support bluetooth audio? I don't see it mentioned on their website. Being able to use my wireless headphones with this would actually be the biggest advantage over the original hardware, in my opinion.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Yup.

-Look at the label, are there two small numbers engraved on it? Is it glossy? If not, likely fake. The label not being well positioned is a good, but not perfect, indication too. (for GBA I mean)
-Shopping on Ebay, is the price too good? Is it shipped from China? If yes, likely fake.
-Ultimately, buying a 1$ screwdriver is the best way to spot a fake as well. Once you compare a repro board to an authentic one, you can make the distinction easily. But the two options above are good steps to do when shopping as well to avoid some unwanted frustrations.

In my ten years of collecting I ended up buying a fake once, I promptly returned it and got a refund. Ebay will take your side, especially if it's not written anywhere in the item description that it's a repro. Surely it won't be as easy today as back then, but heh, I see this as some little extra challenges.
Why worry about it? Unless you want genuine carts for collection purposes. I have several "fakes" but they work as well as the real thing. I live with it instead of fighting sellers. Better things to do with the time.

Last edited: