• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
Can I play this without being confused with plot if I haven't played any of the other ones? Going through SOMA and would like to keep this style of game going for the month :D

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Very glad to see lots of mentions of storytelling and character work. Looks like they learnt all the right lessons from SOMA and no more loading screen only narrations like The Dark Descent lol

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RPS gave it a solid review but thought it was bogged down by trying to be too much of a sequel (as in, likes the new stuff and character, but not the attempts to tie into TDD)

www.rockpapershotgun.com

Amnesia: Rebirth review

An accomplished horror adventure, Amnesia: Rebirth is a worthy entry in the Amnesia series that never quite gets as original as you might hope.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I remember liking the original until I realized what it was doing behind the scenes.

The game tries to teach you that you're constantly being hunted and that you're always in danger. It's just not true for the vast majority of the game. What actually happens is that the game spawns enemies at preset locations and moments (such as when you walk across a trigger), have them walk a predefined path, and then despawn them as soon as you or the monster reaches another trigger. This happens over and over and over again. It likes to pretend that you messed up and was accidentally spotted by something at a dramatic moment. Not true at all. It just spawned an enemy behind you where it would automatically and instantly spot you.

It's not until the final area that the game actually has roaming enemies that behave as you'd expect.

I realized this pretty early on in the game, and it immediately sucked all the tension out of it (until the final area). I knew that I could stand in a perfectly visible, exposed spot in any level and be perfectly safe since no enemies existed in the level anyway. I would only be in danger once I walked across a trigger, and when I did, the danger would permanently pass as long as I stayed out of sight for a minute or two, despawning the enemy. In some cases, I would have to reach a trigger instead, with the same effect.

Honorable exception: the water monster. Now that was a truly frightening and inspired bit of gameplay.

I'm going to hold off on this sequel until I know that it doesn't fall into the same trap as the original.
The water monster is an iconic moment of horror games imo

Jun 7, 2018
Germany
Glad Amnesia: Rebirth seems to score so well. I've way too much to play at the moment but I'm confident to play it early next year. Have fun everyone!

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I remember liking the original until I realized what it was doing behind the scenes.

The game tries to teach you that you're constantly being hunted and that you're always in danger. It's just not true for the vast majority of the game. What actually happens is that the game spawns enemies at preset locations and moments (such as when you walk across a trigger), have them walk a predefined path, and then despawn them as soon as you or the monster reaches another trigger. This happens over and over and over again. It likes to pretend that you messed up and was accidentally spotted by something at a dramatic moment. Not true at all. It just spawned an enemy behind you where it would automatically and instantly spot you.

It's not until the final area that the game actually has roaming enemies that behave as you'd expect.

I realized this pretty early on in the game, and it immediately sucked all the tension out of it (until the final area). I knew that I could stand in a perfectly visible, exposed spot in any level and be perfectly safe since no enemies existed in the level anyway. I would only be in danger once I walked across a trigger, and when I did, the danger would permanently pass as long as I stayed out of sight for a minute or two, despawning the enemy. In some cases, I would have to reach a trigger instead, with the same effect.

Honorable exception: the water monster. Now that was a truly frightening and inspired bit of gameplay.

I'm going to hold off on this sequel until I know that it doesn't fall into the same trap as the original.

As much as I fully understand and get this - these games are still just as insanely scary to me. What you're describing is basically just pulling back one layer of the "illusion", but there is still many many other layers that add to the fear and horror factor for me. I found The Dark Descent borderline unplayable due to the atmosphere and I only finished SOMA to see the story and characters through to the end, even though I found it utterly terrifying the entire time.

OP
OP
Wollan

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
There's a some later(?) story glimpses and visuals in that Easy Allies review that probably should be avoided if you're sensitive to that stuff.

There's one key story element that is mentioned in several reviews but seeing as it is revealed in the intro I wouldn't be chuffed about that. But there's later game imagery in the video mentioned.

Skatterd

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't 100% sold on this game but this paragraph from the Gamespot review did it for me
If a creature catches you, it doesn't kill you, forcing you to reload a checkpoint and pretend nothing happened. Instead, if things get bad enough, the black tendrils overtake Tasi and you find yourself somewhere else. You'll sometimes have to try to complete a task, run through a set piece, or solve a puzzle a second time if you're caught while in the middle of it, but by and large, Rebirth doesn't create a bunch of failure points that force you to replay a section of the game over and over. It goes back to the message that opens Rebirth: "This game should not be played to win." It's also not designed to beat you, but to keep you engaged with Tasi's story.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
RPS gave it a solid review but thought it was bogged down by trying to be too much of a sequel (as in, likes the new stuff and character, but not the attempts to tie into TDD)

www.rockpapershotgun.com

Amnesia: Rebirth review

An accomplished horror adventure, Amnesia: Rebirth is a worthy entry in the Amnesia series that never quite gets as original as you might hope.
Hmm, less interested after reading that. They really went with a pregnant woman lead? It's pretty novel for a video game, but sounds like it does nothing new that other horror media has already done.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Played the first 90 minutes and it's pretty damn good. It definitely feels a lot more like Soma with how it throws you into the deep end, the sense of mystery is more captivating and it's more show than tell. Hyped to see what else it's got but I shouldn't be playing horror games in the middle of the night.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
As it's now the 20th in Australia a Twitch streamer is currently playing it (she is the only one on Twitch so far):

Live: https://www.twitch.tv/crystalxelement

or you can watch the stream from the start if you want to get an idea about the gameplay:

www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017

There are already Youtube quick looks about the game. And yeah, it looks like an Amnesia sequel all right.

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
I have The Amnesia collection on my PS4, yet to play any of them. Should I play the first before playing this one or just skip to Rebirth? Any thoughts?

Also, halfway through Soma right now. I love this time of year and playing scary games. Really gets me into the mood for Halloween!

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
I have The Amnesia collection on my PS4, yet to play any of them. Should I play the first before playing this one or just skip to Rebirth? Any thoughts?

Apparently there are references to Amnesia: The Dark Descent in Rebirth, also bearing in mind that Rebirth is set a few decades after The Dark Descent I guess you'd get a little bit more out of Rebirth by playing The Dark Descent first. It doesn't sound like it's essential to play TDD first though.

Tpallidum

Oct 28, 2017
I thought the Amnesia games were neat but Soma is what really blew my mind. I'm super hyped for this. Can't wait for tomorrow. Perfect haloween game!

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
I loved SOMA so I'll give this a shot too, even if it doesn't have a 'Safe Mode' like SOMA for a wuss like myself.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Preload is up on Steam with a 13.8GB download size

Is it? It doesn't let me preload at all.

Also, to be expected, but the steam forums seem up in arms that you're playing as a WOMAN. SJWs ruined Amnesia!!!

Did they forget that Amnesia: TDD and Justine both had ample amounts of naked dicks?

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Also, halfway through Soma right now. I love this time of year and playing scary games. Really gets me into the mood for Halloween!
I played Amnesia for the first time last month. Yes, you should play it first. It's a great game.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa

Also, to be expected, but the steam forums seem up in arms that you're playing as a WOMAN. SJWs ruined Amnesia!!!

Did they forget that Amnesia: TDD and Justine both had ample amounts of naked dicks?

Really? Some reactionaries will forever remain stuck in 2014 I guess lol

As for the preload, it should be up as far as I know as mine completed a couple of minutes ago. I'm in South Africa though, so I don't know whether preloads are gradually unlocking for different territories at different times. Frictional's twitter post didn't seem to indicate that this was the case though so it should be available for you too

Oct 26, 2017
Soma is one of my favorite stories in gaming, but it seems this is a proper sequel so ima give it a miss. Amnesia was really not very interesting to me

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't realize this wasn't on Xbox until now, not a big deal cause I was originally going to get this on PC but also wanted to play at midnight. Horror games should be played at night dammit! Maybe I'll double dip should a VR mode ever get released or modded in :P

OP
OP
Wollan

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Just had my first little play session of the game. Will have to squeeze in hours where I can across a busy week. Already it's nice to see an Amnesia game feature SOMA++ production values.

Neuromancer

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
I got a PSN notification saying it was "ready to use," but the countdown still says ~20 minutes to go. Then when I click on the game, I get a never ending loop with a timer of 00:00:00. What gives?

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

Don't tell the misogynists about horror movies, so many women as leads!!!

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017

Such weak and immature little children are best ignored. Maybe they'll grow up one day and perhaps even grow some balls.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
Seems like quite a rocky launch on Steam:

For those of us who've already bought and preloaded it, can confirm that the .exe issue is fixed and the game works now. Zero issues with performance so far

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
I'm very impressed by the voice acting of main character Tasi, played by Alix Wilton Regan - https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2542896/

The rest of the voice acting is great too.

Havent played yet, but can I just say FINALLY some great voice acting in a Frictional Game.

Simon from SOMA was really just passable at best. Tho it might have been the voice direction. Either way the VO in that game was weirdly offputting, and not in the way I think they intended lol

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
About 90 minutes in and I am digging what they are going for narrative-wise.

Just reached the

Legion Fort

and will carry on a bit later.