• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
The Amazon Music subscription is $80 annual charge or $7.99/mo. with Prime, or $9.99 per month stand alone. For gaming, I imagine they'll offer similar options, but maybe a bit more expensive due to higher bandwidth usage. I highly doubt it's $5.99/mo stand alone.

Music is a little different because they have to keep a catalog of millions of songs to compete with all the other $10 services and are forced to pay license holders on a per play basis. With gaming they can limit their costs by doing lump sum deals and limiting catalog size since that model has yet to be standardized. I don't know what they need to charge and how many subscribers they need to make a profit, but it scales a lot better than with music which is pretty linear in costs.

AllBizness

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
I'm going to guess that once out of Early Access, Luna+ will be

$5.99/mo. for Prime members
$9.99/mo. without Prime

They aren't going to add this as part of Prime. People would lose their shit if Prime got a price increase for this, and they're not going to give it away for free.
I guess you dont know how Prime works. There's tons of separate TV apps you can subscribe to separately. I suspect they will just simply add a Luna app to that which will be billed separately it's not like your Prime membership price is increasing.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Get ready for all amazon videogame search results to default to the Luna listing, like they do today with music and books.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Music is a little different because they have to keep a catalog of millions of songs to compete with all the other $10 services and are forced to pay license holders on a per play basis. With gaming they can limit their costs by doing lump sum deals and limiting catalog size since that model has yet to be standardized. I don't know what they need to charge and how many subscribers they need to make a profit, but it scales a lot better than with music which is pretty linear in costs.

Good point, thanks for the insight.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Why should Google pay a licensing fee to Microsoft for Windows on a game that doesn't use Windows at all?

Huh? Linux is the only option for Stadia, devs can't put their Windows games that they already have working for Steam onto Stadia. Why should game devs spend weeks or months porting a game to Linux/Vulkan to reach Stadia users which are a tiny fraction compared to Steam or consoles?

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
fucking wow. Stadias vulkan API porting requirement looks so much stupider now.
Lowers the bar significantly, especially for smaller devs who don't have resources or experience with porting. Stadia requiring Linux is just arrogance.
It's common sense that Google wouldn't rely on Windows to do something like that. I'm a bit surprised that Amazon did go that way actually.

Microsoft has so much power in the cloud (gaming specifically now) space it's crazy, from hosting PS Now to licensing Windows to Amazon for Luna, not to mention their own service skyrocketing thanks to Gamepass.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
So I suspect no offline option as well? Meh. Need at the very least a PC store on windows for these games.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't see a purely streaming future ever working out, even Microsoft understands xCloud is a nice add-on to their console business not a replacement.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
It's common sense that Google wouldn't rely on Windows to do something like that. I'm a bit surprised that Amazon did go that way actually.

Microsoft has so much power in the cloud (gaming specifically now) space it's crazy, from hosting PS Now to licensing Windows to Amazon for Luna, not to mention their own service skyrocketing thanks to Gamepass.

It'd be common sense to make it as easy to develop for/port to your platform as possible, especially when you lack first party games and your userbase is tiny.

Without games and users (chicken and egg), it matters very little that you're getting an OS for free.

dyne

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Huh? Linux is the only option for Stadia, devs can't put their Windows games that they already have working for Steam onto Stadia. Why should game devs spend weeks or months porting a game to Linux/Vulkan to reach Stadia users which are a tiny fraction compared to Steam or consoles?

Exactly. They won't for old games. It'll be the next games' backends that can be built on Vulkan. Google wants to keep that entire stack Open Source.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
The Amazon Music subscription is $80 annual charge or $7.99/mo. with Prime, or $9.99 per month stand alone. For gaming, I imagine they'll offer similar options, but maybe a bit more expensive due to higher bandwidth usage. I highly doubt it's $5.99/mo stand alone.

Amazon Music Unlimited Single Device Plan | Just $4.99/month

Play your favorite music hands-free with innovative voice controls powered by Alexa. Unlimited access to 90 million songs on a single eligible Echo or Fire TV device for just $4.99/month. Always ad-free and on-demand.
Music Plans are available for as low as $3.99, they won't go that low, but I could see them keeping the $5.99 price point for Prime members.
I guess you dont know how Prime works. There's tons of separate TV apps you can subscribe to separately. I suspect they will just simply add a Luna app to that which will be billed separately it's not like your Prime membership price is increasing.
I know how Prime works, thanks.

They aren't including Luna+ in the price of Prime, nor would they bundle it or increase the price of Prime and force it on people who don't want it. It will stay as its own separate thing.

Those in this thread who are imagining Amazon bundling Luna+ WITH Prime are headed for disappointment.

If anything, Amazon has been UN-bundling services. Twitch Prime becomes Twitch Turbo, a separate purchase, if you want to remove ads.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
I'm convinced their team is just way too little for this. They squandered such an opportunity to be at the forefront

The absolute largest missed opportunity was Sony.

Sony had PSNow up and running in like 2013 - off of PS3s and Vita(!) and even some select Smart Tvs. Then, when the PS4 was such a smash hit; they consolidated a lot of services and only had PSNow running on PS4's and Desktops.

They were at the absolute forefront of this sort of technology and could have been the market leader regarding it; but its 2020 and they still don't even have a phone app to directly access the service.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
The difference is that the gaming session occurs in the browser (well technically a PWA), something that Microsoft could easily do as well but probably has severe performance issues on mobile compared to a native app.
There shouldn't be any performance issues. Progressive web apps are just a way of launching a browser instance, and all that browser instance needs to do is stream a video. Modern smartphones generally don't have performance issues with 1080p streamed video on a browser.

Wait the Ubisoft channel could be an extra $15 a month?

DOA.
That price seems like a good guess. It's the same as what Ubisoft charge for Uplay+.

The Ubisoft channel on Luna doesn't look like it'll be as comprehensive as Uplay+, but I doubt that Ubisoft are going to want it to be much cheaper, since the lower the price gets, the better it looks compared to Uplay+... and Ubisoft presumably will not get 100% of the Luna channel's subscription costs from Amazon. For Ubisoft the option that makes the most sense is to set the cost at or near the same price as Uplay+ and then offer a subset of what Uplay+ offers - perhaps a large subset, but still a subset.

That makes a lot of sense, especially in terms of the number of games that they're able to launch with and how Amazon are able to launch with a subscription service. It should also mean that they're able to grow from their launch library pretty quickly, which might be important, since quick growth would not only demonstrate their key advantage over Stadia, but it'd also start filling in the gaps that are still evident in the range of games they've announced.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017

Amazon Music Unlimited Single Device Plan | Just $4.99/month

Play your favorite music hands-free with innovative voice controls powered by Alexa. Unlimited access to 90 million songs on a single eligible Echo or Fire TV device for just $4.99/month. Always ad-free and on-demand.
Music Plans are available for as low as $3.99, they won't go that low, but I could see them keeping the $5.99 price point for Prime members.

That's only available on Echo or Fire TV though. I suppose Amazon could do something similar by making it cheaper on a single device.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Exactly. They won't for old games. It'll be the next games' backends that can be built on Vulkan. Google wants to keep that entire stack Open Source.

There won't be next games on Stadia if they have no users (because they have no games now). They could be smart by supporting Windows to build up a catalog of games and once there are enough users, giving devs financial incentives to port. But no, they're Google, they think they're big and good at tech, so they think devs automatically will meet their requirements.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
It'd be common sense to make it as easy to develop for/port to your platform as possible, especially when you lack first party games and your userbase is tiny.

Without games and users (chicken and egg), it matters very little that you're getting an OS for free.
Yes and there are many ways they could've enhanced that prior to launch without conceding into a Windows back-end, having a shitty launch doesn't rule out the nature of some choices, execution is mostly to blame.

They could've put a portion of their workforce into contributing to Steam Proton enabling them to better run Windows DirectX games, promote Vulkan to developers, creating more tools, prepare more games for launch, a better pricing model, supporting more devices etc.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
The absolute largest missed opportunity was Sony.

Sony had PSNow up and running in like 2013 - off of PS3s and Vita(!) and even some select Smart Tvs. Then, when the PS4 was such a smash hit; they consolidated a lot of services and only had PSNow running on PS4's and Desktops.

They were at the absolute forefront of this sort of technology and could have been the market leader regarding it; but its 2020 and they still don't even have a phone app to directly access the service.

I don't think Sony had the R&D pockets to fund cloud the way Microsoft, Google, and Amazon do. Those companies make billions from their general purpose cloud platforms and had over a decade to build up that tech all while making profits, which paved the way for what they can do with gaming now. Sony simply can't compete that way. It's not like they can leverage their movie studio or LCD TV business.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Yes and there are many ways they could've enhanced that prior to launch without conceding into a Windows back-end, having a shitty launch doesn't rule out the nature of some choices, execution is mostly to blame.

They could've put a portion of their workforce into contributing to Steam Proton enabling them to better run Windows DirectX games, promote Vulkan to developers, creating more tools, prepare more games for launch, a better pricing model, supporting more devices etc.

Or they can do what Amazon's doing which is easier for both parties. Then if Amazon is successful with a large enough userbase and they've crossed the chicken and egg threshold, they can incentivize devs to use Linux instead. Amazon isn't locked into supporting Windows. They just realized it creates the least friction when you are launching in a competitive market.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
That price seems like a good guess. It's the same as what Ubisoft charge for Uplay+.

The Ubisoft channel on Luna doesn't look like it'll be as comprehensive as Uplay+, but I doubt that Ubisoft are going to want it to be much cheaper, since the lower the price gets, the better it looks compared to Uplay+... and Ubisoft presumably will not get 100% of the Luna channel's subscription costs from Amazon. For Ubisoft the option that makes the most sense is to set the cost at or near the same price as Uplay+ and then offer a subset of what Uplay+ offers - perhaps a large subset, but still a subset.

I understand the benefit to Ubisoft, except for adoption rate. Once the cost gets this high, the available audience starts shrinking rapidly.

I get the Ubisoft "channel" is supposed to be a premium service, but I just don't see it taking off if the price for each of these channels is north of $10. It's just not a good value anymore.

If each of the premium publishers were to get a channel, the subscription to get what you want as a gamer goes through the roof.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If each of the premium publishers were to get a channel, the subscription to get what you want as a gamer goes through the roof.
That's why you only sub to one channel at a time when one of them releases something you want

if you sub to multiple channels at once your only hurting yourself

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
So they named their service "moon" but the logo is just a weird triangule. That's lame.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
So is this like Stadia where you have to subscribe and also buy the games separately, or is it like PS Now?

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Service doesn't seem interesting as of now but Twitch might help this. The channel approach sounds also good for enticing publishers who want to earn a bigger cut from streaming.

Sucks that my mfi controller feels so useless right now. Wish Apple didn't botch the layout so badly.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I get the Ubisoft "channel" is supposed to be a premium service, but I just don't see it taking off if the price for each of these channels is north of $10. It's just not a good value anymore.

Yep, but that's the risk Amazon take by even allowing this system to exist. Players will effectively need to build their own package, and publishers will need to be careful not to overvalue their own catalogue of games.