• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
Very interesting! Specially interested in seeing how they'll tie it to Twitch.

Also, surprised that it's launching on iOS. Hopefully Amazon's solution paves the way for Microsoft to bring xCloud to iOS as well.

AllBizness

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
I wonder if they will add this to the Amazon Prime app since it will be on the firestick? I'm sure Sony and Microsoft will block the gaming part of the Prime app on their consoles tho.

killa2max

May 17, 2018
Seattle, WA
I'd like to see Microsoft implement PWA for xCloud seeing as it's clearly possible based on Amazon's claim with Luna. I signed up for early access, but likely wouldn't subscribe for long. I prefer having the option of playing games on local hardware so Game Pass is a better fit for the foreseeable future. Gaming is nuts right now though.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Definitely gonna give this a shot. Seems like a better strategy than Stadia. Hopefully MS copies the PWA option for xCloud on iOS.

The Amazon controller connects to the internet , sit the app only needs to do the streaming.
Xcloud needs an input via Bluetooth or a cable and the PWA may not give access to that part of IOS

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
DXqSCoaWkAEdueb.jpg

Also lmao the controller is literally just a Resetera-purple Pro Controller.

Oct 27, 2017
Smart of Amazon to go after Stadia. This is the biggest threat to Xbox's streaming plans. I do wonder if all of these companies are trying to get those 3 billion potential gamers and will end up chasing a wale that they will never catch, a la "if only 1% of the Chinese bought a console in China" which yes, would be huge in theory, but the market for people who don't game, but want to, but have the ISP speeds and necessary items to use services like this may not be as big a market as it might seem imo.

more competition is a good thing.

I don't look forward to the day that there are timed or outright exclusive games on multiple $10-$15 months subs across Xbox Game Pass/XCloud, GeForce Now, Amazon, Stadia and PS Now if Sony ever shifted to that priority. Would turn into the Netflix/Hulu/Peacock/CBS/HBO/Disney/Prime Video nightmare we have now

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
So if I get this right:

You pay a monthly fee for the Luna+ channel (access to the streaming for $5.99)
Then if you want the Ubi titles you pay another sub fee to access their channel. (price not yet known)

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
How the hell did they manage to scoop up Ubisoft games for day 1 on a service that's cheaper than Ubisoft's own (Uplay+)?

badabeezy

Oct 27, 2017
Wow Stadia is DOA with its business model and content. This seems like a plausible service if they keep up with content. MS still seems like it has a leg up on cloud. Will be interesting to see how fast they can transition to Series X server blades.

slothrop

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Anyone saying that because Amazon sucks at making games, that's the reasoning for why this will suck really doesn't understand that these are two entirely different industries. Making games is one thing. Delivering a game smoothly, at low cost, over a cloud platform is another. And Amazon's cloud platform is the biggest in the world; they probably have the most talent in the industry for cloud computing under their roof, and applying that to gaming is a leap, but it's not a huge one.

This whole thing *could* suck but I doubt it'll be because they're bad at doing this. It'd be because of poor choices in making deals with publishers, failing to price their service to sell, or in not giving gamers what they want in a cloud platform. From a technical perspective, I'm sure they'll be at least as good as Stadia.
Yes. Amazon also sucked at making movies and tv shows just a few years ago. If they invest the money they have plenty of options.

This is strategically more important than Prime Video too IMO since it will allow them to cross-sell AWS services to game developers.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Amazon's solution for iOS is great but makes the entire xcloud/stadia banning seem stupid. Like, if Apple allows Amazon to circumvent the App Store with this, why not just let these apps on the store? Won't MS and the rest just copy Amazon? Wouldn't it be better if Apple retained some control over the main app rather than let everyone use safari? Seems odd to me.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Should effortlessly be more successful than Stadia on the back of it being subscription alone. Stadia's decision to charge for games on top of paying a subscription is an all-time boneheaded move.

Amnixia

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
For sure, but that angle was mostly lost during the discussion of acquisition. People were looking at Sony, how they would respond. Instead of the more likely Google/Amazon/Facebook and, to a lesser extent, Tencent. They'll be next to make a move on that scale. Sony might buy a developer, but nothing even close to the scale of the Zenimax acquisition.
This whole situation is worrying, a few corporations are going to end up owning "everything".

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, Insomniac, known for its multiplatform titles such as Sunset Overdrive and.....
FUSE!!! Don not sleep on FUSE (checks google to make sure it was FUSE and not FUZE). Yeah, Insomniac was Sony through and through, super long history with them, and they had incredibly close relationship with Sony and it's Devs. Ratch Ad Clank remake was a welcome back moment, the prodigal child returned. Now... where is Resistance 4?

This would be like Amazon buying a retail that only sold on Amazon's site, maybe dabbling in Walmart recently with no luck, then going back to Amazon only with success then selling to Amazon.

Before Insomniac tried multiplatform Sony did try to buy them, but Ted didn't want that, they wanted to see if they could find success in their own IPs. Unfortunately EA kind of screwed that up with Overstrike ; ;, it was CG but it looked so beautiful as a Resistance 2 Co-op fan, I miss R2 Co-op, so ahead of it's time. And to no one's surprise, Overwatch, a cartooney gun game was massively popular, thanks EA focus testing.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
This whole thing *could* suck but I doubt it'll be because they're bad at doing this. It'd be because of poor choices in making deals with publishers, failing to price their service to sell, or in not giving gamers what they want in a cloud platform. From a technical perspective, I'm sure they'll be at least as good as Stadia.

Who's denying this? I haven't seen many people attacking the technical feasibility of this, only the fact that Amazon's attempts at breaking into the industry have failed miserable and shown a lack of understanding of the industry, which would arguably fall under the "poor choices in making deals" category.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Wonder if they'll buy big studios to bolster their lineup, they definitely have the money for it... it has been a very popular and accepted business strategy lately.

Oct 29, 2017
Ubisoft games day one? $6/month?

I mean at first glance this looks pretty attractive.

Microsoft has got to be feeling good about being the first to build up a presence in this space. The real competition is on the horizon.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Begun the stream wars have

Not surprised to see Ubi on this. They're early on everything. One of the things I like about em.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The thing with Microsoft versus Google or Amazon, it's a tough ask for the latter to build up and say get a publisher or top studio, the chance of success is way less and not that appealing for being bought out by them over Microsoft, Sony etc.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
It's seemingly not. Because the Ubi titles don't look to be included in that $5.99 fee. Unless I'm misunderstanding the info.

If that's the case then it would make more sense. Because there's no point in Uplay+ if you can get Ubisoft's games on an even cheaper service (granted you will deal with latency on the latter) day 1.

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
Because of the relationship that is already there via Azure. I realize that MS can go toe to toe with the rest of silicon valley. But Sony uses Azure, not Google and not AWS. Like you said Sony is the little guy compared to these tech behemoths but yet Sony has the biggest gaming brand.

Personally I don't really see that as a real "relationship". Microsoft (and here I consider them for arguments sake as "Microsoft, but not Xbox") knows that Sony doesn't have that infrastructure. And they do. Either Microsoft gets the money from Sony, or they go to Google or Amazon. That's all there is to it. They have nothing to gain really by NOT partnering with them in that way, it just means money going to their cloud competitors. But I don't think it really means anything for Xbox (as Xbox, but not Microsoft) and PlayStation. If that makes sense.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if they'll buy big studios to bolster their lineup, they definitely have the money for it... it has been a very popular and accepted business strategy lately.

Probably my number one fear right now for the industry is Google or Amazon spending billions to buy out someone like EA/Activation/Take-Two and making those games exclusive to their streaming service.

Deleted member 78123

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 16, 2020
Digital Foundry is about to have some fun analysing cross gen games!

- PS4
- PS4 PRO
- PS5
- XBOX ONE
- XBOX ONE X
- XBOX SERIES S
- XBOX SERIES X

- XCLOUD
- STADIA
- LUNA

Edit: third-party cross-gen games

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
So if I get this right:

You pay a monthly fee for the Luna+ channel (access to the streaming for $5.99)
Then if you want the Ubi titles you pay another sub fee to access their channel. (price not yet known)
Yeah. Though the current price is for early access so it's going to change once it releases.