• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I sympathize. Nothing against any anime fans here, I'm sure you're all good people, but the overwhelming anime fanbase I see online is embarrassing and racist and quite frankly stupid so I am not surprised she blew up on them.

I think it's incredibly hard not to have that impression (which is to say it's deserved, lol). I think part of why I first took this a little personally is that I was implicitly giving more credit to queer anime fans (and maybe they should be the type of anime fans that are deserving of more credit), but the horrible thing about twitter is that the awfulness is always just on the fringes of perception (self-preservation, lol), because in actively following it, it really only makes sense observe the ones that post witty memes and thoughtful and brief takes (ie: the cool and less problematic ones)...

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't go as far as to say always (not as long as Netflix wants to make horrendous adaptations of anime at least). But the vast majority of the time probably yeah.
So if Netflix makes a shit adaptations that give those stupid fucks to behave that way ? Nah, they need to always fuck off.

Witch of Miracles

One Winged Slayer
Jun 13, 2019
United Kingdom
Another thing that really amuses me about the show? That Hideaki Anno himself stated in interviews that the religious symbols used throughout the show actually do not have a deeper meaning, he just thought they looked cool. I wonder if he realizes how many armchair philosophers he created or how many hours people wasted trying to decipher the meaning behind certain images.

Hideaki Anno never said that, it was Assistant director Kazuya Tsurumaki who said they used the Christian Symbolisms for the cool/edge factor. (As far as I know) Hideaki Anno has never commented on whether the Angels had any meaning or if they were just used because its cool (as stated by Kazuya Tsurumaki).

As someone said early I don't think they're the same people who are complaining. I've personally only seen LGBT+ folks who were upset (and subsequently memeing) the translation with a few mentions of the loss of Fly Me To the Moon. That being said 20 years of abuse, I can't begin to imagine how fucking hard that must have been.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I think it's incredibly hard not to have that impression (which is to say it's deserved, lol). I think part of why I first took this a little personally is that I was implicitly giving more credit to queer anime fans (and maybe they should be the type of anime fans that are deserving of more credit), but the horrible thing about twitter is that the awfulness is always just on the fringes of perception (self-preservation, lol), because in actively following it, it really only makes sense observe the ones that post witty memes and thoughtful and brief takes (ie: the cool and less problematic ones)...

Yea I mean, the only anime fans I've come across who are cool and normal are on this forum or the Ghibli subreddit. The rest are dumbfounding to me.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So if Netflix makes a shit adaptations that give those stupid fucks to behave that way ? Nah, they need to always fuck off.

You misunderstood my post quite a lot if you took it to mean that Netflix making bad anime adaptations means it's okay to respond to that by behaving like the "fans" that harassed a translator for 20 years for her translation work

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hideaki Anno never said that, it was Assistant director Kazuya Tsurumaki who said they used the Christian Symbolisms for the cool/edge factor. (As far as I know) Hideaki Anno has never commented on whether the Angels had any meaning or if they were just used because its cool (as stated by Kazuya Tsurumaki).
and I believe Kazuya, considering how shallow the christian symbolism is in Evangelion.

It's cool, but man, some fans made it like it was some shit.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
tumblr_pgqfmmlMV51un7uhro3_500.gif

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gee idk, if you're going to have ice cream, why not just move to Antarctica? How is leaving like one word in Japanese like not translating the show at all?

You don't think there's any value to karaoke openings that have the English and Japanese so you can actually sing along? You don't think there's any value in animated special move titles or custom fonts and colors for subtitles? That's all worth throwing out, and getting crappy retconned subs dumbed down for the US is ok just because someone may leave nakama in Japanese? Please.
You'll grow out of it, I think.

I thought the same as well. To be fair, fansubs are pretty great if you want to know more about Japanese culture and why they say or do some stuff that can easily be lost in translation. Certainly piqued my interest when I was younger to pick up and read more about Japan.

After a while it got annoying, and a lot of fandub groups made it worse by just literally romaji'd some of the words that has a perfectly suitable synonym in English.

Now I'm good with relying on Netflix or YouTube for my anime fix.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Good for her. Gave her a follow after ProZD liked that tweet and liked her profile even though I absolutely despise anime since a couple of years back and plus, she's Yukiko.

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Please do not post jokes or content that mock ethnic accents.
This reminded me of this (very old) meme:

Mod Edit: Inappropriate content removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
You misunderstood my post quite a lot if you took it to mean that Netflix making bad anime adaptations means it's okay to respond to that by behaving like the "fans" that harassed a translator for 20 years for her translation work
Just to be clear, Amanda is not a translator. She started out as a voice actress, and later started a voice over production company. The thing people have been going after her for was the 2002 dub of the two Evangelion movies, which her company produced and she among other things served as script adapter - meaning she took the raw, literal Japanese to English translation and turned it into a script that fits with the timing of the mouth moments and sounds like natural, spoken English.

Last edited:

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you were being harassed constantly for 20 years because your anime localization wasnt "literal enough" wouldn't you have the same attitude?

I'm actually surprised by this.

I never knew she was hated and the target of abuse until today. Things would be lost in translation had the translation of been literal.

Are there any specific examples? Somebody said something about strudels and baumkuchens earlier.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But it's inferior to the original dub Asuka.

Tiffany Grant actually spoke German so she was able to speak it fluently for Asuka's German lines.
I remember people loudly bitching about Asuka's VA (including the German lines).

And it's amazing because (for context) when ADV's Evangelion dub came out, DiC's Sailor Moon dub was airing on TV. I thought people were being too harsh on Sailor Moon's dub, so I thought the people complaining about Evangelion's dub were crazy.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
"eat a dick" interesting choice of words considering what this whole thing is actually about.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't blame her, if she's been bombarded with shit for so long and suddenly a more "faithful" translation comes along and suddenly it's "too literal" (but still fine) and they suddenly like her translation for some reason, if I was in her shoes, I'd be banging my head against a wall too.

English to Japanese and vice-versa is not straightforward, it requires a lot of nuance, and it's not easy to get right. Translate it too literally and you get stuff that is either unnatural or outright incomprehensible to English-speakers, but it's also easy to take too many liberties. Dub vs. Sub fights are eternal, and this isn't just because of voice actors - as far as I know, fansubs don't often do more than translate to a reasonable comprehensible standard. There's a reason why, for example, Ace Attorney works so well in English - the translators are really on the ball, knowing where to take liberties and where they don't need to as much. The games are well-known for its excellent localization, and the anime does a good job as well (though I prefer not having suspend my disbelief due to the games supposedly taking place in America when it's obviously Japan, which the anime localization can't do because the very first episode makes it impossible to, but I'm fine with the name changes, since the names are nearly all punny as hell anyway).

Really, it seems like both dubs have their issues, and that's coming from someone who has yet to watch EVA beyond a few clips, and doesn't have any bias on the issue.

Last edited:

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Dealing with less than a year of them is the reason End of Evangelion even exists. This tweet here in the OP? That's EoE times 20 at least.
This is a myth. There were always going to be movies (they were even planning gimmicky spin-offs). The movie had to be made quickly, so it's only logical that The End of Evangelion took the shape it did because half of that story was already planned for episode 25, plus the crew couldn't have been satisfied with making a TV ending that's basically an admission of their defeat under the weight of an impossible schedule; meanwhile Anno's returning depression further shaped its tone.
There's actually no evidence of a major backlash to the TV ending (at least on the western side of the internet and it doesn't seem like anyone actually bothered to research it properly). The death threats everyone loves to bring up are a minor part of a montage of fan mail written in response to DEATH & REBIRTH.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
I feel like "eat a dick" has transcended into a general insult unrelated to any anti-lgbt sentiment.

I mean I hope so, I've been using the insult as a general "fuck off you annoying shitstain" for quite a bit.

Whenever I'm being particularly nitpickly my sister usually asks me what's the point of me being so policing.

So everyone, what's the point of telling her "watch your language" if not chiding her for the use of dick in what some might consider a anti-lgbt context?

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
She's 100% right. I have no anger towards either translation. They're both good.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
It's almost like fans can have different opinions

No point harassing her over it though

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I think I'm confused. Am I missing some context? Is she also involved in the newer translation? If not why is she mad?

For Twenty. Fucking. Years. I've listened to fanboys bitch that I took too many liberties with the translation of Eva. Now their knickers are in a twist because it's too literal. Learn Japanese and translate yourself or eat a dick. Either way STFU

translation: people were mad with her original translation back then because she took some liberties from the original japanese script. Now people were mad because the new translation were more literal (read: closer) to the original japanese script. I.e. People should just translate their own so that they won't get mad (at translators)

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
This kind of post is always gettin on my nerves. Not sure whats your purpose of writing this. If you felt you wanted to say something, you should say it instead of sugarcoating it into ambiguous response. Unless that is your purpose to mock people

Btw dont bother to reply. You are blocked either way. Thank you, next