• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
If you guys get the chance, I'd recommend watching AAA's show from last night.

They had some pretty fun matches, including three women's matches (Lady Maravilla vs. Keyra was legit great) as well as LA Park vs. Laredo Kid and Pentagon vs. Nino Hamburguesa:

Deleted member 35217

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Hey guys. I'm done with Resetera but I just wanted to say thanks to the folks who were kind to me in the AEW threads. Can't wait for things (AEW included) to get back to normal. Stay safe in the meantime.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys. I'm done with Resetera but I just wanted to say thanks to the folks who were kind to me in the AEW threads. Can't wait for things (AEW included) to get back to normal. Stay safe in the meantime.

I hope it's not the pervasive negativity that's driving you away, (not just in this thread) but understand if it is. But more so than that, I hope everything outside of this forum is alright with you.

These times are testing us all and I think that it's becoming difficult for many to find the positives. And when you can't do that, the negatives seem that much more apparent. It's oppressive, but I can't blame others for getting swept up in it considering the circumstances.

At any rate, as AEW transitions back to a more normal format I suspect that this thread will be a lot of fun. And it would be awesome to see you back. (or even better, for you to have a change of heart sooner and stick around) At any rate, I'm not on here a ton but I'd be stoked to get a PM from you if you just want to discuss whatever in a less public format. Take care, my friend.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Hikaru-Shida-vs.-Anna-Jayy-1.gif

That's a very good neck breaker (?) from someone who is still green. She's got potential.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

They had some pretty fun matches, including three women's matches (Lady Maravilla vs. Keyra was legit great) as well as LA Park vs. Laredo Kid and Pentagon vs. Nino Hamburguesa:

pentagon murdered that dude

Neutral_Jump

Mar 21, 2020
Saint Louis
Canceled AEW plus last week. Love this company but wish they would take a break from shows right now. Voted with my wallet. I don't really see how it has to be any more complicated than that.

That said, looking forward to seeing the quality shows they put on later this year. There's just no way they don't acquire some of the released WWE talent and as long as they go with the right people, the roster is going to be unreal.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Try and change the negative vibes around here for a minute.

If the full roster was available, who do you think would be TNT champion? Do you think the guy they've pencilled in right now was always the plan?

I think guys like Cody, Sammy, Darby, Lance were always gonna be in the tournament but I wonder if PAC, Page, Fenix and others would've been included or if that would've meant the tournament was too stacked with guys that they don't necessarily want to lose.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
I think guys like Cody, Sammy, Darby, Lance were always gonna be in the tournament but I wonder if PAC, Page, Fenix and others would've been included or if that would've meant the tournament was too stacked with guys that they don't necessarily want to lose.

Assuming the TNT belt was always planned to be introduced, I suspect the plan was always to get to Cody vs Archer through the tournament, so I don't think the major beats would have changed much. I do wonder if it would have been a larger tournament and I wonder if they would have done some of the rematches they went to (Cody/Spears, Allin/Guevara, Cody/Allin). I could have seen guys like Jungle Boy, Scorpio Sky, and Janela being included.

I do wonder if they originally had plans for a different tournament (trios belt) and had to shift to this when the pandemic made the former an impossibility. I still feel like the formation of Death Triangle was a harbinger of their becoming inaugural trios champs.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela

If the full roster was available, who do you think would be TNT champion? Do you think the guy they've pencilled in right now was always the plan?

I can see Orange Cassidy in it. Building to him vs Archer as a semi would've been cool.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017

I'd still say it's Archer. With Jake coming in for those promos during the live shows, it was always really clear that Archer was going to be given a really quick build. Especially because of how Jake was focusing so heavily on Cody -- who we know is completely disconnected from the AEW World Championship picture.

If it wasn't Archer, I'd think it was MJF. Best heel heat in the company, but not necessarily the draw for main event status yet. Then again, as others have been saying, he could have been fed to Mox and the build for that would have been awesome.

If it wasn't those two, probably PAC. Man, how great would a PAC vs. Darby feud be right now? Mr. Brodie is going straight for the World Championship, imo. Same with Page after the tag story is over. Fenix still gotta be on a path to the tag title. Sammy's still being built up, have that relationship with Jericho lead to something. Darby's a better person to chase the belt than to hold the belt, at least to start. Hager's hopefully going in the bin for a while. Wardlow needs more matches.

Yeah, definitely Archer IMO.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
I'd still say it's Archer. With Jake coming in for those promos during the live shows, it was always really clear that Archer was going to be given a really quick build. Especially because of how Jake was focusing so heavily on Cody -- who we know is completely disconnected from the AEW World Championship picture.

If it wasn't Archer, I'd think it was MJF. Best heel heat in the company, but not necessarily the draw for main event status yet. Then again, as others have been saying, he could have been fed to Mox and the build for that would have been awesome.

If it wasn't those two, probably PAC. Man, how great would a PAC vs. Darby feud be right now? Mr. Brodie is going straight for the World Championship, imo. Same with Page after the tag story is over. Fenix still gotta be on a path to the tag title. Sammy's still being built up, have that relationship with Jericho lead to something. Darby's a better person to chase the belt than to hold the belt, at least to start. Hager's hopefully going in the bin for a while. Wardlow needs more matches.

Yeah, definitely Archer IMO.

You know what I dig?

The roster is stacked already with possible feuds, returning feuds, fresh match ups and an intrigue in that many people could go for Moxley. AEW really feels fresh and fascinating. I'm not some anti WWE guy, in fact I dig it, but AEW has that vibe that they could start booking for friggin' Jimmy Havoc vs Moxley and it'd feel completely organic and plausible.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Imo, the women's matches were the best. Extremely impressive stuff, some cool moves I've never seen before too

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like Archer is destined to get that tv belt. Can't see anyone else winning. He's the perfect heel champ to terrorize people. More money in a heel champ too.

Salivating at the thought of Rusev coming to AEW. Out of all the people released I feel like he'd be the perfect pick to bring in. He's been radio silent since leaving the WWE though. Could also see him potentially going to NJPW where he'd be a monster.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
Seems like Archer is destined to get that tv belt. Can't see anyone else winning. He's the perfect heel champ to terrorize people. More money in a heel champ too.

Agreed- while I can see some logic in Cody getting a different championship that he isn't barred from, and establishing it as an important title, they've masterfully build up Archer as a monster with the potential for a great title run and an eventual big payoff when someone unseats him. Cody doesn't need any title belt to be a big deal in the promotion.

This study's results suggest that the incorporation of exercises which challenge the vestibular system is an important consideration for athletic trainers and clinicians evaluating patients following concussion.

He'll be a superstar in AEW. I'm about as big a WWE critic as there is, but I still can't even fathom how they didn't see the star potential in him and couldn't unlock it. Dude is a chiseled, extremely agile hoss that is absolutely brimming with personality which shined through even though he was given the generic foreign heel gimmick. Unless he doesn't want to wrestle anymore, he seems like a mutual no-brainer for AEW.

TrafficCoen

The Fallen
Feb 22, 2019
You know what I dig?

The roster is stacked already with possible feuds, returning feuds, fresh match ups and an intrigue in that many people could go for Moxley. AEW really feels fresh and fascinating. I'm not some anti WWE guy, in fact I dig it, but AEW has that vibe that they could start booking for friggin' Jimmy Havoc vs Moxley and it'd feel completely organic and plausible.
I'm 100% convinced the push they were giving Havoc on Dark before the pandemic was leading to a Deathmatch between him and Moxley

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017

if it's true that AEW is quarantining folk prior to recording the may 6 live episode, it looks like Jake isn't part of it. he's still home with DDP.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
if it's true that AEW is quarantining folk prior to recording the may 6 live episode, it looks like Jake isn't part of it. he's still home with DDP.

I'm not sure they were bringing them anywhere specific to isolate, I read it as they just asked people to isolate for two weeks before the taping. Regardless, I think and hope that they'll continue to leave the older folks like Jake home, at least until things are more settled. His pre-taped promos have been excellent and just as effective as anything he'd do in person right now IMO.

captainzombie

Nov 29, 2017
I hope it's not the pervasive negativity that's driving you away, (not just in this thread) but understand if it is. But more so than that, I hope everything outside of this forum is alright with you.

These times are testing us all and I think that it's becoming difficult for many to find the positives. And when you can't do that, the negatives seem that much more apparent. It's oppressive, but I can't blame others for getting swept up in it considering the circumstances.

At any rate, as AEW transitions back to a more normal format I suspect that this thread will be a lot of fun. And it would be awesome to see you back. (or even better, for you to have a change of heart sooner and stick around) At any rate, I'm not on here a ton but I'd be stoked to get a PM from you if you just want to discuss whatever in a less public format. Take care, my friend.

Good thing is that we don't have a lot of negativity in our AEW OT threads. I also frequent wrestlingforum.com, and that place is the sesspool of negativity. You end up getting depressed after reading some of the stuff that is posted there with all of the bashing of the product. For the most part we have a pretty good amount of people posting here that aren't anywhere near over the top as those guys.

Should be interesting reading that mid-May AEW will do a live dynamite, then record for the next month after that. It will allow them to probably use any of the new talent that they have signed. I know it is getting tiresome for a few people watching the same 8 guys wrestling each week.

If they locked up any talent from the recent WWE releases, would hope they did get The Revival, Rusev, and Zack Ryder. Even these 4 guys are pushing it as they already have so much talent that is going unused right now.

Do you guys think that they try to charge a full $50 for the PPV?

NoRéN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If it the constant negativity here, thread included, I'm sorry. It's understandable though.

likewise, stay safe. Take care of yourself and loved ones.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019

I bet they do. Some have suggested that because of their PPV contract, they won't have a choice. Even if they do have freedom to pick the price point, I think at least for this one they'd keep it at $50. Undoubtedly, they're not going to pull their usual ~100,000 buys, but they're retaining ~75% of their typical live TV audience, so if they managed anything close to that for PPV buys then it would still be well worth their while to keep the usual price point. I think they'd only lower it for future empty arena PPVs (assuming at least the next 1-2 still have to be without fans) if this does substantially lower buys.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Good thing is that we don't have a lot of negativity in our AEW OT threads. I also frequent wrestlingforum.com, and that place is the sesspool of negativity. You end up getting depressed after reading some of the stuff that is posted there with all of the bashing of the product. For the most part we have a pretty good amount of people posting here that aren't anywhere near over the top as those guys.

Should be interesting reading that mid-May AEW will do a live dynamite, then record for the next month after that. It will allow them to probably use any of the new talent that they have signed. I know it is getting tiresome for a few people watching the same 8 guys wrestling each week.

If they locked up any talent from the recent WWE releases, would hope they did get The Revival, Rusev, and Zack Ryder. Even these 4 guys are pushing it as they already have so much talent that is going unused right now.

I have a hard time believing they would pick up many people right now. It just seems like a bad move for them right now.

Also, I think B/R Live is going to want their $50. The only exception I could see for this is if AEW decides to do another Fight For the Fallen this year. Personally, I think that would be a great first event to do for when they can wrestle in front of an audience again. A free PPV that they do in their home base and AEW donates a bunch of money to a COVID-19 related cause.

captainzombie

Nov 29, 2017
I bet they do. Some have suggested that because of their PPV contract, they won't have a choice. Even if they do have freedom to pick the price point, I think at least for this one they'd keep it at $50. Undoubtedly, they're not going to pull their usual ~100,000 buys, but they're retaining ~75% of their typical live TV audience, so if they managed anything close to that for PPV buys then it would still be well worth their while to keep the usual price point. I think they'd only lower it for future empty arena PPVs (assuming at least the next 1-2 still have to be without fans) if this does substantially lower buys.

That is a very good point there, even if they get 50% buys of what they have been getting it is better than 0. Hoping that AEW can survive through this pandemic, would suck if they didn't as this is probably our last chance against a true alternative to WWE on the national stage.

I have a hard time believing they would pick up many people right now. It just seems like a bad move for them right now.

Also, I think B/R Live is going to want their $50. The only exception I could see for this is if AEW decides to do another Fight For the Fallen this year. Personally, I think that would be a great first event to do for when they can wrestle in front of an audience again. A free PPV that they do in their home base and AEW donates a bunch of money to a COVID-19 related cause.

If they pick anyone up from that list, I bets its going to be The Revival/and or Rusev just to get them under contract. I would think FTR would be a lock due to their interactions with the Young Bucks.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
That is a very good point there, even if they get 50% buys of what they have been getting it is better than 0. Hoping that AEW can survive through this pandemic, would suck if they didn't as this is probably our last chance against a true alternative to WWE on the national stage.

If they pick anyone up from that list, I bets its going to be The Revival/and or Rusev just to get them under contract. I would think FTR would be a lock due to their interactions with the Young Bucks.

Yeah if they pick up anyone it'll be The Revival as that's pretty clearly been inthe making for awhile now.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania

When things get back to normal I'll likely be fully back into AEW like I was before.

But yeah, I just can't bring myself to invest myself in crowd-less wrestling during a pandemic that I'm in the thick of as an actual essential worker. It's a no go.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019

I think it depends. I think they were originally preparing on not being profitable by this year, but then they got a reworked TV contract early and everything changed. If they can keep running shows, the pandemic may not hurt their profits that much because it's largely coming from the TV deal, plus some PPV revenue. I'm not sure running the live arenas and the attendance does much for their business at this point anyway.

So, they still may be in a position where they're in better shape than originally expected with revenues and so I wouldn't be surprised to see them still make some signings. I think it's more an issue that they don't currently have the TV time to support a much bigger roster, until whatever the second show is happens, and who knows if that's still being planned right now during the pandemic.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
When things get back to normal I'll likely be fully back into AEW like I was before.

But yeah, I just can't bring myself to invest myself in crowd-less wrestling during a pandemic that I'm in the thick of as an actual essential worker. It's a no go.

That's understandable. Stay safe and healthy! Hopefully the world will turn the corner on this sooner than projected rather than later.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019

I think FTR has been a lock for a long time now. I'll be surprised if the plan for DoN isn't Bucks vs Revolt.

As far as the recent WWE firings go, I don't think any of them can even be signed for three months so it'll probably be a while. I could see them bringing in another handful of people from that bunch.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia

I think they have to deliver 4 full price PPVs per year. We've only had 1 so far and we're a 3rd the way through the year so I don't think they have a choice.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
I think FTR has been a lock for a long time now. I'll be surprised if the plan for DoN isn't Bucks vs Revolt.

As far as the recent WWE firings go, I don't think any of them can even be signed for three months so it'll probably be a while. I could see them bringing in another handful of people from that bunch.

I think the no-compete clauses were dropped this time considering the circumstances but AEW will probably be wary of throwing around money right now. Maybe just some "touching base" conversations. FTR, Rusev and Deonna should be no-brainers if they are interested. Maybe Ryder because he's probably still popular enough to add some value to the midcard.

Toli08

Oct 27, 2017
I think the no-compete clauses were dropped this time considering the circumstances but AEW will probably be wary of throwing around money right now. Maybe just some "touching base" conversations. FTR, Rusev and Deonna should be no-brainers if they are interested. Maybe Ryder because he's probably still popular enough to add some value to the midcard.
Only the Revival don't have the 90 day compete clause. By all reports everyone else that got released has the usual 90 day compete clause.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
Only the Revival don't have the 90 day compete clause. By all reports everyone else that got released has the usual 90 day compete clause.

That's what I thought I had read. I think they're actually still paying them for 90 days, which is why they're still considering using some of the people they fired.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
On Fite the PPV is the regular €20 but I agree with most peopke that asking $50 right now is problematic. Not just because of the economic pressure many people are under but because it's very natural and tempting to invite others for viewing parties to split the costs which you shouldn't do while social distancing is still mandated.

Stooge

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Jungle Boy and MJF would have been in the tournament and a few other names would have been in it, but I think

1) PAC, Page and Fenix are all past this belt in their status.

I think the secondary belt should be for younger/mid tier rasslers to have something to fight for and above that level its World Heavyweight or bust.

I think that Archer (by booking) and Cody (by status) are also above it.

I think Darby takes the thing personally and I think that is the right call. You could argue MJF is already a bit above this belt bc of his feud with Cody + he has the diamond ring. And I think Jungle Boy is still in a tag team at the moment.

In a "perfect" booking world the final 4 would be Darby/Sammy/Jungle Boy/MJF in my mind. They are the future of the business guys in AEW.

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
Is it too much to ask, whenever the time is right, for rusev to show up with a promo saying that he's here to fill the lack of BEEF in AEW? He's charismatic enough to be self aware and make it work and I'd love to see what he could do unrestricted and maybe add some new moves to his set.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Well that's as blatant as you can get and I guess the start of the build for a match at DON.

It does make me wonder though what is going to happen with Omega and Page.

If corona hadn't happened then it seemed like they were continuing the feud with the Bucks. Ignoring that post match tease from Hangman obviously but then again MJF turned on Cody and 3 months later we got the match so I guess one way or the other we would likely have got Omega vs Page at DON. Previous timeline anyway.

I'm also guessing that Page chose to stay home and if he's smart enough to do that then then he's probably smart enough to not go back now.

Assuming things go how they seem to be going, it's fair to say that the top four matches for DON appear to be:

Moxley vs MJF
Cody vs Archer
Bucks vs Revolt
Elite Deletion: Matt vs Sammy or Jericho

Omega vs Page (?)

Nyla teased she was coming back on the last Road To. Have to figure Best Friends are pencilled in since they can just keep the feud going with Sabian and Havoc. Could always run Britt and Shida again. If the California crew are coming in then I would assume Brodie/Uno/Grayson vs SCU would be in the works too. Or at least a 2v2 version of that match.

Status
Not open for further replies.