• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Good episode of Dynamite, but the lack of a crowd is finally starting to get to me. It's just not the same.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Thoughts on the show -- I really enjoyed it! Fun and funny matches+promos. One of the best pre-recorded episodes, for sure. That said, I think everyone can agree that the matches and storylines written for these recorded episodes were very clearly planned out in a rush. That all of the matches were wrestled in just a matter of days. Lot of dudes got scratch marks on their chests from the match they musta finished just hours earlier.

I'll definitely keep watching week to week, but I'll admit I'm looking forward to the next chapter. Since there's zero chance AEW stops making episodes, I'm just hoping they do another big recording session, only this time with a lot more planning and preparation.

I miss matches feeling more meaningful. It really isn't the absence of the audience for me, though the audience definitely helps. It's the polish and planning.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
So does any one know when they put the latest episode up on the tnt app? I normally watch it at my moms because I don't have satellite.. but she got sick. And I missed the live feed of it.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Good episode of Dynamite, but the lack of a crowd is finally starting to get to me. It's just not the same.
Yeah, I was really enjoying the show without crowds at first but I haven't got round to watching the last couple of weeks.

It's a mix between the lack of crowds but mostly the fact it's the same 10 people who they managed to get for the tapings and just mixing them all up with some jobbers thrown in.

Really miss some of the other wrestlers like Page etc. It's making the roster feel tiny at the moment and killing my hype for the product. Shame because I really like Sammy and he has been a trooper during this but when it's the same people every week it just loses its appeal for me.

OP
OP
Naijaboy

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Overall, that episode was great.

Whoever made that ladder's about to get a lot of sweet ads for durability.

The squash matches were all surprisingly entertaining. Wardlow > Kenny > Brodie

And yes, that's a better spear from Brandi than Charlotte.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
It was par for the course from me. They continue to make the best out of an impossible situation. Darby/Sammy was a really good match with or without crowds.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
That said, I think everyone can agree that the matches and storylines written for these recorded episodes were very clearly planned out in a rush. That all of the matches were wrestled in just a matter of days. Lot of dudes got scratch marks on their chests from the match they musta finished just hours earlier.

I think that's a given. They made a quick decision as the country was shutting down and in a rush squeezed together a few days of taping with less than half the roster. I would imagine the next round of tapings will go a bit differently as they've had a while to plan their next steps and probably will have access to more of the roster.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
That was one bland episode of Dynomite.

My enthusiasm for AEW has been fading for some time now but I kept getting these bright spots like Omega or Lucha matches that kept me going, or some fun Orange Cassidy antics and sometimes something genuinely spectacular like that tag match in Revolution.

This week had nothing and it ain't the only one.

AEW needs to get its creative juices flowing, it can't just rest as some generic wrestling show.

I'm going to give it a couple of chances but I'm gonna start skipping through until something catches my attention, if it doesn't for a while I'm out.

Hybrid Hunter

May 9, 2018
Sydney, Australia
I like that even though they had access to a limited roster for a short period of time they were still able to put weeks of simple storylines together so there's something for fans to follow.

- Brodie Lee's squashes lead to a proper match with an AEW wrestler in Stunt.
- Kip/Havoc/Penelope faction building to matches with Best Friends (good to see OC get a win)
- Shida and Baker's mini fued, which is probably now over since they can't fight again, but who knows
- Matt Hardy vs Inner Circle via promos (great seeing Damascus and Matt coexist and can switch back and forth as needed)
- And the obvious TNT championship building to possible Cody vs Archer, though I'd prefer Allin vs Archer so Cody gets his fight against Archer with a crowd.

Let's hope the next round of tapings build upon what they've learnt so we get a good atmosphere with some crowd noise.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Did Jericho eyeball his Roomba as a kind of Inner Circle equivalent to Vanguard-1?

Oh god, if I see a Vanguard-1 vs Jericho's Roomba poster I would lose my shit.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Another good Dynamite last night! Just watched it as i missed it due to working late.

Tbh there was only one real great match, but the promo work as usual is on point. Everything they did promo-wise was fantastic. That's been kind of a highlight of this whole audience-less wrestling era for both promotions (well, at least to the lead-up to Wrestlemania in WWE's case lol).

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
Darby and Sammy was awesome. Loved that match. Kenny and the jobber actually put on a great match too. Everything else was good. I think only the Kip/Dustin match had me a little bored. Promos on point too.
That was one bland episode of Dynomite.

My enthusiasm for AEW has been fading for some time now but I kept getting these bright spots like Omega or Lucha matches that kept me going, or some fun Orange Cassidy antics and sometimes something genuinely spectacular like that tag match in Revolution.

This week had nothing and it ain't the only one.

AEW needs to get its creative juices flowing, it can't just rest as some generic wrestling show.

I'm going to give it a couple of chances but I'm gonna start skipping through until something catches my attention, if it doesn't for a while I'm out.

I think they are doing about as good as they can considering the circumstances. I get not feeling the empty arena format but saying they need to "get the creative juices flowing" is a strange criticism given they are pre-taped, working with no crowds, in a warehouse, with a limited roster. For what these shows are, I think they are doing a fantastic job but of course they aren't as good as a full, normal wrestling show. Not sure what else you expect them to do.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
Loved Sammy/Darby and OC/Havoc as well as the various videos. Main event was decent but the retirement stipulation didn't work without a crowd reacting to nearfalls. Nice to see the TNT title being treated as a big deal not just a way to get jobbers and low midcarders on TV.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
In terms of the sheer amount of matches and promos that delivered compared to those that didn't, that was one of the best episodes of Dynamite that AEW has ever done.

Obviously still lacking a real crowd knocks it down the list of the absolute top episodes but not since the pre-Revolution shows has their been a show that absolutely captivated me and it just flew by.

The only misses of this episode, and I would say misses may not apply, were the Best Friends promo and the layout of the Orange/Havoc match. I'll explain my reasons for that later.

Yes this episode was so good it made me wanna do one of my big reviews again so here we go....

The show kicked off in a dark room with Cody watching a bunch of monitors, featuring the participants of the TNT championship tournament. Cody puts each guy over while pondering if he has become complacent, he says his competition hasn't, they've all got their own reasons and motivations to become the next champion. It was just a great promo to make the TNT title feel important, with a throwaway line from Arn in there about who wants it vs who needs it, potentially signalling Cody may have to take drastic actions if he is to become champ.

The first match is a rematch from arguably the second best match from Revolution, Sammy vs Darby.

It starts with a throwback to that first match but this time it is Sammy attacking before the bell, setting up a ladder across ring and barricade with Darby laid on it before doing a massive splash onto Darby and this wasn't a gimmick ladder, it did not budge an inch, Sammy squashed Darby and just bounced off him. It looked brutal and brutality was a main theme of the match. These guys hate each other and it showed in the intensity and in their offence. They didn't wrestle, they fought. If they weren't just striking each other, they were doing big spots. Like their Revolution match, this was excellent and didn't outstay its welcome, both guys going for broke, both displaying their dislike for the other in their offence, both coming across like future major stars.

Following that was two strong Matt Hardy promos, one as Broken Damascus, the other as regular old Matt Hardy.

I loved the Broken promo, it was no doubt silly and featured a bunch of jokes and wacky face ticks but it was also serious when it needed to be, with callbacks to previous encounters with Jericho. But after that we get this awesome regular Matt Hardy promo explaining why he decided to come to AEW, that it was because the Elite decided to create AEW to create a brighter future for wrestling and future wrestlers, he loved that idea but when he saw Jericho and the IC trying to tear it down, he chose to fight for the future. As much as I like Broken Matt when he's on form, hopefully we get to see more of regular Matt Hardy in AEW.

The next match was an "enhancement match" between AEW superstar and tag team champion Alan Angels and local jobber Kenny Omega.

I think I got these guys the right way round?

Wow.

Totally not what was expected but I loved it, though I'm sure will argue Kenny gave Angels way too much. AEW very, very rarely does straight up squashes and it's all the better for it. The result was never in doubt though and Kenny won this surprisingly competitive match.

We then cut to a taped promo that basically served as an introduction to Scorpio Sky, focussing on his family and his trials and tribulations to become a wrestler. It was a strong promo. AEW Dynamite should've launched with 1-2 promos like this every show for the first month or so. Hopefully this is something they're going to continue doing in future and not just a one off to fill time.

Speaking of things AEW should've done months ago, there's a quick plug for the BTE 200th episode featuring Matt vs Nick. I know it's not technically cannon or essential watching but yeah BTE is a part of the AEW universe, promote it a bit.

The next match was OC making his Dynamite in-ring debut against Jimmy Havoc.

The quality of the match was good, I enjoyed it, I'm not disputing that or who should've won or any of that jazz.

AEW laid this match out like everyone watching at home knows how OC can go in the ring. 100k people saw OC's match vs PAC while it's likely that 600-700k will be watching this match. I know you don't have the hot crowd and maybe that's why they didn't do it but I thought this should've basically been a repeat of the PAC match with Jimmy playing around with him, getting confused and frustrated with OC's laissez faire demeanour before unleashing the real OC. Instead it was just OC getting killed for 10 mins before getting a sneaky distraction pin. It was definitely entertaining but I just wouldn't have gone about it the way they did.

A little later in the show we get two crap promos from Chuck and Trent aka Best Friends. God do these guys suck.

Before that though was a video promo from MJF, who hadn't been seen in weeks, from outside one of his "rat's" houses.

MJF hasn't been around for a while because he suffered a hang nail while gambling on Dynamite a few weeks back. Like the trooper he is, he carried on with the show but unfortunately made his injury worse. The best thing about this was the padding in his sling was Burberry, like his scarf.

MJF is absolutely fine folks.

Following this was two squash matches with Wardlow and Brodie Lee.

Brodie Lee made quicker work of his jobber than Wardlow did but both men were impressive and both matches effective.

What I would rather talk about is the Brodie promo before his match.

The Dark Order are still recruiting and we see some troubled soul applying to join on his laptop after his GF dumps him after his career in sports falls apart. This soul was given the go ahead by Uno and he gets invited to a sit down with Mr Brodie Lee.

Other than this promo being shot with shadow partly covering Brodie's face to make him and his cold eyes look even more sinister, the main reason I wanted to talk more about this was the lack of Vince-ism's.

For those that were always panicking about it, you can stop panicking, at the very least they're not going to do it every single week like you feared.

Our final promo of the night was part 2 of the hit web series, The Bubbly Bunch.

Sammy Guevara is sad because Hager didn't beat Mox. Hager, Ortiz and Santana try to cheer him up to no avail. Jericho comes up with the idea of a dance off to cheer up Sammy with the winner receiving some hand sanitizer. We then cut to vertical Tik Tok footage of each member of the IC doing their best flim flam dance. Sammy goes last and gets really into it, going OTT with it. Jericho declares him the winner but in a little hissy fit, calls him a fucking show off and throws the sanitizer at his phone screen before flouncing off. The end. This was fantastic. Jericho and Hager in particular were amazing.

The main event is the TNT tournament match between Dustin vs Sabian.

It was a decent match but the retirement stipulation and the fact that the winner faces Archer just made it all too predictable. The match was good, they had decent chemistry, it just never reached the next level and that is also something I was thinking about Kip Sabian in general. He's a good looking guy, can go well enough in the ring, the act with Penelope is working but when I watch him in the ring I'm just not invested in him, but I can't decide what it is that he is missing.

Very enjoyable show, it certainly brightened up my day, I hope next week can do the same.

captainzombie

Nov 29, 2017
Forgot about AEW last night. How was it?

It was much better than last weeks show. They also had more promos/taped vignettes from wrestlers that couldn't make it to the tapings integrated in the show. I think it also helped that I watched this 30 minutes into the show via DVR as fast forwarding through the commercials helped a lot. Until they go back to being live I think I'll be doing that moving forward.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
It was alright. I'm not feeling any wrestling right now, to be honest.

Same. I'm sighing way more these days and few things have been able to lift my spirits. Dynamite is still keeping me afloat, but I'm watching out of obligation and wanting to keep up with stories. Lance Archer and Jake is my favourite thing going on the show.

Last edited:

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
Darby and Sammy was awesome. Loved that match. Kenny and the jobber actually put on a great match too. Everything else was good. I think only the Kip/Dustin match had me a little bored. Promos on point too.

I think they are doing about as good as they can considering the circumstances. I get not feeling the empty arena format but saying they need to "get the creative juices flowing" is a strange criticism given they are pre-taped, working with no crowds, in a warehouse, with a limited roster. For what these shows are, I think they are doing a fantastic job but of course they aren't as good as a full, normal wrestling show. Not sure what else you expect them to do.
The weeks since Revolution, most of what I've seen is bland heels doing generic heel stuff to bland baby faces.

Nothing of interest is happening any more, stuff like the Elite imploding or some kick ass matches like some of the early Luchas or Bucks matches.

Am I really supposed to get excited about Brodie Lee vs Marco Stunt? big guy comes squashes little guy which we've seen multiple times this past couple of weeks and neither of their characters are interesting, hell I've stopped giving a shit about most of these guys.

Even the characters I once liked lost their sheen, Jericho is a generic as fuck heel, Orange Cassidy just had his most boring showing yet and even John Moxley which once came off as this unpredictable renegade is starting to sound like another average babyface going on and on about "this is for the fans", what happened to that renegade?

My problem is that a lot of it is stale, there used to be a few stand out moments but even those feel few and far between.

I wanna see them mix things up, do something different, not rest on generic wrestling tropes.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
One thing to keep in mind is that they taped all this stuff 3-4 weeks ago now, so I probably wouldn't expect many big changes in presentation over the next few weeks as they already have much of the content taped so there's probably not a ton different they're creatively able to change with these.

I hope/expect they can apply some bigger changes for the next set of tapings.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I see this like Filler in anime. There's no one at shows. Viewers at home have a shit ton of other things to worry about. Everything was shot so quickly. I am not really expecting any major changes, nor am I going to hope for them. They are giving me 2+ hours of still pretty fun entertainment every week. I'll take it.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I see this like Filler in anime. There's no one at shows. Viewers at home have a shit ton of other things to worry about. Everything was shot so quickly. I am not really expecting any major changes, nor am I going to hope for them. They are giving me 2+ hours of still pretty fun entertainment every week. I'll take it.

Yup, that's pretty much how I'm viewing it. There's some teases of interesting stories, but the major thing is the tournament. I mean, it's just reality. Things were really building up to some really amazing storylines and then Covid happened and they had to put all that stuff on hold. These aren't the best episodes of Dynamite but for the most part they entertain me for 2 hours and I look forward to it each week. They recorded these episodes forever ago and had to make due with who they had on hand for like....the week they recorded them? Realistically they probably only recorded over a handful of days, not even a full week. It's cool if people aren't feeling these episodes, but I wouldn't judge AEW as a whole based off them.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Its a wash rn but there are bright spots like sammy guevara and darby allin who both always deliver super good matches

Plus shawn spears has been more charismatic without tully blanchard tbh and being given a bit of room to heel out

Filler is a good description for these covid-era episodes.

What i dont get is why theyre going ahead with $50 empty arena Double or Nothing. Shits gonna be a ripoff and feel kinda dull too

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I was really enjoying the show without crowds at first but I haven't got round to watching the last couple of weeks.

It's a mix between the lack of crowds but mostly the fact it's the same 10 people who they managed to get for the tapings and just mixing them all up with some jobbers thrown in.

Really miss some of the other wrestlers like Page etc. It's making the roster feel tiny at the moment and killing my hype for the product. Shame because I really like Sammy and he has been a trooper during this but when it's the same people every week it just loses its appeal for me.

I've been watching weekly over discord with some friends which helps! But yeah nothing can recreate a live crowd. They're really hurting without their tag titles being able to be defended which IMO are the most exciting belts in the company by far. Hoping after Double or Nothing they're able to take some time off and produce some more excited no crowd episodes (for now). I am really hoping by the end of the year things are relatively safe enough AEW can at least return to small crowds... I don't expect full arenas for at least a year but maybe 100 people would be fine and help the product a lot.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
What i dont get is why theyre going ahead with $50 empty arena Double or Nothing. Shits gonna be a ripoff and feel kinda dull too

Has it been confirmed it's still $50? I'm assuming it's a pretty good chance it will be, but there may still be a chance they charge less, if that's possible.

I mean, I think I can see why they would still do the PPV. Besides their TV deal, PPV is really their only source of revenue. I would guess they typically have been bringing in several million dollars per pay-per-view. Even if they're undoubtedly going to do less buy rates on an empty arena show, they probably still stand to make some money from it. If they're set to tape shows anyway, and they feel enough people would pay for a PPV to make it worth doing, I don't really blame them. Again, reality is that saving big shows for crowds probably isn't a good option, because it could be a year or longer before that's even possible.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Seems Ryan Satin and Meltzer are going at it on twitter.

Subject is Ryan taking offence at the fact the Kenny match wasn't a full squash and saying it hurt him. From what I can gather Dave is coming back with fair comments and Ryan is returning with OK boomer gifs and quote tweeting comments from Dave that actually hurt Ryan's arguments.

I didn't see the match so have no idea about all this but just from looking at twitter, I would say Satin is being a complete mark as usual.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

Subject is Ryan taking offence at the fact the Kenny match wasn't a full squash and saying it hurt him. From what I can gather Dave is coming back with fair comments and Ryan is returning with OK boomer gifs and quote tweeting comments from Dave that actually hurt Ryan's arguments.

I didn't see the match so have no idea about all this but just from looking at twitter, I would say Satin is being a complete mark as usual.

Why is it not being a full squash a problem?

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Why is it not being a full squash a problem?
Haven't read everything but it seems Sati is a thinks the jobber got too much offence and because he kicked out of a v trigger (which Sati the is calling Kenny finisher) it makes kenny look weak.

Dave is pointing out that Flair and other classic wrestlers would have jobbers kicking out of piledrivers and all sorts back in the day and it didn't hurt them.

Satin is also trying to pivot it to dave saying that flair was nothing compared to the rock and dave is rightly pointing out that flair is only considered a cultural icon among the South Region and in no way as bog as the rock is.

That's what I have gathered, don't follow Satin myself but know people mock him as a wwe mark and he really is coming off badly.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

Arguments like these are dumb to begin with. Did the guy have a stopwatch and yell foul after the match lasted more than 3 minutes? It's a dumb way to look at things. They criticize anything outside of this boring, tiny little box that they've put wrestling into.

Jericho even went out of his way to specify that Kenny, being a nominal face, was going somewhat easy on the guy to help him out and allow him to get good experience fighting a seasoned pro. When the guy got cocky and kicked out of the V-trigger, Kenny was like, "Okay, wiseguy" and put him to bed.

What's so hard to understand about that? It's a squash, but it's good Face variant and a contrast to the big heel monster squashes that are happening on the same show. It helps break the monotony.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

that was a really great match! kenny came off as a bit arrogant and didn't take the match seriously. angel surprised Kenny and caught him a couple times, got to look like more than just a jobber (which he really does deserve. they all do! the less jobber squashes, the better). kenny got to get frustrated and murder angels with a touch of heelish flair. super fun and as-expected Omega match full of personality.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
Realistically, a few months from now, nobody is really going to remember that Kenny took a little offense from a jobber, so it seems like a dumb thing to get worked up over. Considering that they are doing 2-3 enhancement matches per show, it's nice to throw a little variety into them which overall they've done a nice job with. Whether it's Archer or Brodie or Wardlow tossing people around, or giving "Pineapple Pete" some back story, or Kenny letting the jobber have a competitive match, it at least makes things somewhat interesting.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Realistically, a few months from now, nobody is really going to remember that Kenny took a little offense from a jobber, so it seems like a dumb thing to get worked up over. Considering that they are doing 2-3 enhancement matches per show, it's nice to throw a little variety into them which overall they've done a nice job with. Whether it's Archer or Brodie or Wardlow tossing people around, or giving "Pineapple Pete" some back story, or Kenny letting the jobber have a competitive match, it at least makes things somewhat interesting.
Yeah. The alternative is not using the local talent and 50:50 booking for a month and a half. I'll take what they went with over that.

And I hope they keep enhancement matches as a semi regular thing. No one is complaining about win loss records anymore :P.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't read everything but it seems Sati is a thinks the jobber got too much offence and because he kicked out of a v trigger (which Sati the is calling Kenny finisher) it makes kenny look weak.

Dave is pointing out that Flair and other classic wrestlers would have jobbers kicking out of piledrivers and all sorts back in the day and it didn't hurt them.

Satin is also trying to pivot it to dave saying that flair was nothing compared to the rock and dave is rightly pointing out that flair is only considered a cultural icon among the South Region and in no way as bog as the rock is.

That's what I have gathered, don't follow Satin myself but know people mock him as a wwe mark and he really is coming off badly.

It's an old-school wrestling convention that in a enhancement match, the jobber isn't supposed to get much/any offense because it makes the established wrestler look "weak."

That seems odd. How does a younger wrestler climb the ladder then? Like Barcelona or Liverpool are not beating teams at the bottom of the league 10-0 when they play.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
That seems odd. How does a younger wrestler climb the ladder then? Like Barcelona or Liverpool are not beating teams at the bottom of the league 10-0 when they play.

Traditionally, the people used as jobbers aren't considered important and are just there to get beat up and take a fall. A lot of times they're young and inexperienced and so just being in the ring on TV with an established performer is an important step for them. Whenever somebody is at a point where they're taken more seriously as a wrestler, they typically don't book them in those type of matches because they're now expected to be more competitive.

But yeah, you raise a good point. I don't know if they're interested in this Angels guy or not, but Kenny giving him a competitive match did help him stand out and so if they see some potential in him, this did accomplish giving him a bit of a rub for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.