• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Can I ask a really embarrassing question, without anyone judging? Is there a reason that the collective we of countries are not having a stronger militaristic response back?

I assume that if we did that it's just full on world War 3?

And we are willing to let Ukraine fall to avoid that?

I know this is dumb.

Nations exist in one of two states:

1. Have nukes or have formal treaties with nuclear powers protecting them

2. Everyone else

Ukraine fell into category 2.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
Can I ask a really embarrassing question, without anyone judging? Is there a reason that the collective we of countries are not having a stronger militaristic response back?

I know this is dumb.

Russia is a nuclear state so if west retaliates then its a full on nuke war

Oct 28, 2017
sanctions heavy enough could destabilize an economic system, but it also affects their trading partners too. I think it will affect EU in the long run but its a necessary step that needs to be taken

It will definitely be expensive in the west as well. Not just because of gas prices, but all the thousands of companies that has Russia as a main market. But that is the price we will have to pay, we can't let dictators invade other sovereign nations and our allies and just give them a slap on the wrist.

Allowing Putin to do this without the strongest consequences will upset the world balance in a mayor way and probably lead to more war and broken alliances down the line.

Cousin From Boston

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Nov 21, 2017

I know this is dumb.
It's not a dumb question. Putin will turn this conflict in a nuclear showdown if the rest of the world interfered.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney

I know this is dumb.

Russia has nukes, so the options are limited.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California

I know this is dumb.
Nuclear war would send humans to the brink of extinction. It's not worth it.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Russia right now is essentially attacking every major city even in the far western parts of the country

They've already bombed every major city on Ukraine's side of the occupied territories. There are Russian paratroopers occupying Kiev airport.

This is a full scale attack on all of Ukraine.

Locations all over Ukraine have been attacked.
I legitimately don't know what to say.

I said multiple times in this thread that I did not expect it to go much further Beyond eastern Ukraine at the most extreme but I never dreamed that Belarus would join in on the madness. It's just a level of escalation that I wasn't expecting despite the obvious I guess.

I am not a very religious person but as soon as I post this I am going to take a few minutes and pray to anybody that happens to be listening for the people of Ukraine.

Zanaffar

Oct 27, 2017

I know this is dumb.
Just adding on it's fucking dumb if you want to stand up what you believe in, but with politics it is what it is unfortunately.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
You I guess it shouldn't be surprising but the shitty propaganda is getting posting as people are getting educated or whatever.

I suggest we use ellipses ... like so to not signal boost dumb ideas in quotes.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
Thats rhetoric and propaganda for the cameras and Russia's domestic audience.

Don't buy into it.

It is much closer to his actual beliefs than the bizarre argument that he doesn't want NATO on his doorstep, therefore he's going to invade Ukraine and put NATO on his doorstep. He is also obviously emboldening NATO countries when there had been talk in recent years of NATO being an unnecessary relic of the past, which, of course was silly, but no one is thinking that today.

Putin has always used the "threat of NATO" as an excuse for his own aggression. The fact that NATO did not step in to stop what he's doing in Ukraine is proof that he's full of shit.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Fuck Putin and fuck everyone who supports that vile piece of shit.

Stay safe Ukraine. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017

I know this is dumb.
Putin all but threatened nuclear war if anyone tried to intervene. No one's risking that.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Just want to add that besides sanctions, I guarantee the West is going to be sending weapons in via Polish and Romania border for quite some time. We did it in Afghanistan, and Russia did it to the US in several of their wars. There just won't be a direct engagement.

Hell in Vietnam and Korea, Russian soldiers were actually active in some roles. Did the wars escalate beyond them? No.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Statement from EU President 👇

We condemn in the strongest possible terms Russia's unprecedented military aggression against Ukraine. By its unprovoked and unjustified military actions, Russia is grossly violating international law and undermining European and global security and stability.

We call on Russia to immediately cease the hostilities, withdraw its military from Ukraine and fully respect Ukraine's territorial integrity, sovereignty and independence. Such use of force and coercion has no place in the 21st century.

President Michel of the European Council has urgently convened an extraordinary meeting of the European Council. The EU leaders will meet later today to discuss the crisis and further restrictive measures that will impose massive and severe consequences on Russia for its action, in close coordination with our transatlantic partners. President von der Leyen will outline a further sanctions package being finalised by the European Commission and which the Council will swiftly adopt.

We deplore the loss of life and humanitarian suffering. The EU and its Member States are ready to urgently provide humanitarian emergency response We call on Russia and Russia-backed armed formations to respect international humanitarian law.

The EU stands firmly by Ukraine and its people as they face this unparalleled crisis. The EU will provide further political, financial and humanitarian assistance.
We are coordinating our response with our international partners, including NATO and G7 whose leaders will meet today.

Zanaffar

Oct 27, 2017

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Putin is not entirely wrong about the Nazi issue. Ukraine has been a hotbed for neo-Nazis since at least 2014 (there's concerts, festivals and events taking place in Kiev where extreme right elements from all of Europe are gathering), and much of the country's population in WW2 sided with Nazi Germany and created the 14th SS Division (still-living veterans and descendants of these fighters are still honouring their legacy - see this article from the Times of Israel for horrifying photos).

On the other hand, Putin is copying the Hitler playbook to the letter, and there's a rampant neo-Nazi movement within Russia as well.
As a German let me say this:
Justifying genocide of Ukrainians just because SOME of their great grand parents sided with the Nazis is fucking disgusting. You should be absolutely ashamed to write something this tasteless and inhumane in this thread.

You should be banned permanently.