• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I felt like the rise of "bacon" was tied to things like Ron Swanson-isms and uptick in Paleo culture during the mid 00s

I agree that the bacon meme and bacon-flavored-things-that-shouldn't-be are dumb, but I had spaghetti carbonara for the first time a few weeks ago and it was seriously one of the most delicious things I've ever stuffed into my fat mouth. And it wasn't even gourmet or restaurant stuff, just some frozen shit I bought and cooked up from Kroger's.

Carbonara is, should, be pancetta which is different from bacon.

Oct 26, 2017
What? A huge industry jumping on the meme wagon, artificially propping up its proliferation and pretending to be among the hip kids? Colour me shocked.
It's almost as if marketing has long since embraced social media... who would've thought.

But people need to realize that this kind of marketing only works if people are receptive to it. People love bacon, so it was an easy sell.

Deleted member 9838

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've seen those "I care about the environment yall but what about bacccoonnn?? I can't live without my bacccoonnn" posts thrown around here all the time whenever the modern diet is challenged

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bacon memes/jokes are pretty pretty insufferable, I mentioned this just yesterday in the Impossible Burger thread. It bothers me a great deal because I frequently hear these types of jokes coming from self-described "liberal" people who claim to be familiar to the drivers of climate science. It's almost as if their compassion for the environment ends where the impact on their diet begins.

Large organizations using astroturfing campaigns to sow social media with dank memes is also nothing new, I feel like we just saw this in macro form with Bird Box.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So many obnoxious bacon memes just in this thread alone. Sounds legit.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's cute that he thinks hipster soda brands needed a marketing campaign to consider doing bacon soda. They'll make soda taste like ANYTHING. Isn't that so random?

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
Forget bacon strips. Give me bacon chops. Or pork belly from Chinese places. It's all the same part and it's delicious.

o.jpg

20140731-meat-hook-meat-book-chinese-bbq-pork-michael-harlan-turkell.jpg

The latter half is pretty revisionist history IMO. The real manufactured controversy is how saturated fat (especially animal fat) is bad for you so here, have several decades of hydrogenated oil made from plants marketed to you as "healthy" to actually fuck up your health instead!

A lot of the processed foods sold to you in general is pretty bad for you though, but then it's not really about bacon or meat anymore.

Last edited: