• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I've put some time into it on the PCE mini and it has been fun. I'd like to try the PS version sometime.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've heard of Tokimeki here and there over the years but the most recent I've seen it referenced was in the gaming themed Kamen Rider, where one of the fictional games is a dating sim known as Toki Meki Crisis. The cartoon girl on the game cover even looks like Shiori too.

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo

www.youtube.com

ohoho

Updated with OVA + Special + 2weiLuviagelita Edelfelt (Luvia)Sausage Curls Ojou-sama laugh

So I know Naga the Serpent laughs like this too, I'm wondering if anyone knows where this trope started? Or who was the first anibabe to start laughing with her hand in front of her face screamiing OHOHOHO

youtu.be

ohoho

Naga the Serpent (Gracia Ul Naga Saillune)Sorceress Ojou-sama laugh

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
This video, as most of Tim's work, and maybe even the man himself, lives right on the edge of brilliance and insanity. You're almost tempted to wonder, as he did, if it's worth it to even watch the 2 hours of playthroughs in the middle, but this entire thing is just wonderfully scripted and woven together in a way that makes it feel necessary. More so when you get to the epilogue and Tim emphasizes that he played the game another 6 times and was STILL finding permutations of events he didn't through an initial RIDICULOUSLY systematic 14 playthroughs. That's without even getting into the labyrinth of game industry tangents, personal stories, and fun facts littered throughout the piece.

The guy is a madman and his work is singular. Very few people in this space can put together a series of videos like Tim has for this first season of Action Button, much less an enormous 6 hour odyssey of a review for an obscure game 1% of the people watching will ever play. It truly doesn't matter what he reviews or whether you agree with his takes, it's always going to be fascinating.

Last edited:

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Finished the video last night, it's fantastic

Tim is a treasure, I could watch/listen to him talk about games (or anything) forever. I'm so happy that he seems to be doing pretty well on his own

Tim-E

Oct 31, 2017
I will say that after watching the video over the course of the weekend, I ended up continuing my Yakuza Kiwami 2 playthrough and spent seven straight hours playing the cabaret club minigame and feeling like a min-maxing serial killer like Tim does in this review.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I will never play this game but I will watch this entire review. It's almost more interesting that way.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I have zero interest in dating sims and VNs however after this review I would probably try this is there was an English patch

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
You guys should also watch his translation of Final Fantasy VII series. I've never played the original or the remake and I found it interesting.

h8bit

Oct 26, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
about halfway through and it's really great. this is my first video of his that i've watched, outside of the dq one that gets linked around often. i love the deep dive and playthrough. wish he'd do boku no natsuyasumi!

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished the first hour. Whelp, I guess I'm in for the whole thing over the next few days. Did not think I would be watching a six hour long cultural analysis of a Japanese dating sim when i woke up today...

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Took me damn near a week to chip through this video, but very entertaining look at a game and series I've been interested in since watching the Game Center episode years back. Hi Score Girl brought it back some and had me looking up if a translation ever happened. Turns out some of the Girl's Side games on DS and PSP have English patches. Checking again, there is a partially translated version of the SNES version from 2009 recently recovered. Maybe on day.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The talk of bombs made me curious and it turns out there is TokiMemo representation in Bomberman R:

bomberman.fandom.com

Ayako Katagiri Bomber

Ayako Katagiri Bomber appears as a playable Bomberman in Super Bomberman R. She is based off of Ayako Katagiri from Konami's Tokimeki Memorial franchise. A female high school girl Bomberman, who attends school on the Tokimeki Memorial planet. She is an open-minded and artistic person, who loves...

This and the mobile picross game are the only times I've seen Konami acknowledge the series in the west.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago

Bummer that it'll overlap with the end of AGDQ, but I suppose I can have two streams going at once lol

Alfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
His Megumi playthrough stream is live now!

www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I got through almost the whole review in a day (had like 45 minutes left when I had to go to sleep, haha).

Really fascinating game, and an incredible review as always.

Not sure why, but the slowed down, lower pitch anime girl voices made me crack up every time he did it. Absolutely hilarious to me, along with the DOOM shotgun blast when their expressions would change slightly, haha.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Bumping this because:

1. I finished the video, 100% completion get!
2. Watched the Megumi run, Megumi get!

Amazing effort again by Tim.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
So, I found a cheap copy of the Saturn version and decided to give it a punt.

I'm not expecting perfection (I know getting something readable would be a huge victory) but has anyone got experience using RetroArch/ztranslate's OCR stuff to read this?

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
Ballparking some numbers from earlier in the thread, but looks like the success of this review netted Action Button around 15% more on Patreon, which is great!

...I've only made it an hour into the review myself, so far, but as usual it's incredible. Glad to see it resonating with so many folks.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This video, as most of Tim's work, and maybe even the man himself, lives right on the edge of brilliance and insanity. You're almost tempted to wonder, as he did, if it's worth it to even watch the 2 hours of playthroughs in the middle, but this entire thing is just wonderfully scripted and woven together in a way that makes it feel necessary. More so when you get to the epilogue and Tim emphasizes that he played the game another 6 times and was STILL finding permutations of events he didn't through an initial RIDICULOUSLY systematic 14 playthroughs. That's without even getting into the labyrinth of game industry tangents, personal stories, and fun facts littered throughout the piece.

The guy is a madman and his work is singular. Very few people in this space can put together a series of videos like Tim has for this first season of Action Button, much less an enormous 6 hour odyssey of a review for an obscure game 1% of the people watching will ever play. It truly doesn't matter what he reviews or whether you agree with his takes, it's always going to be fascinating.
There are so many interesting facts about this series.

Did you know that Konami put up a stock scheme (some strange fund) for Tokimeki 3 that would directly give all financial exposure to the fans that participated in that scheme? Basically that thing was a bust and the most hardcore fans lost a lot of money. Also Tokimeki 3 was horrendous.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I finally finished the whole thing. Easily the best Action Button video so far, I could watch another 6 hours of it.

I loved how he talked in a bit more detail about his novel near the end of Part 5. I hope it gets published rather sooner than later. He's been promising it for years lol

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
So I played a bit of this game (well, whatever version is on the PC Engine) with a friend. Unlike me, my friend is actually into narrative adventure games, but we both found it not necessarily amazing, lol. It's fun to play with a friend I guess.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
There are so many interesting facts about this series.

Did you know that Konami put up a stock scheme (some strange fund) for Tokimeki 3 that would directly give all financial exposure to the fans that participated in that scheme? Basically that thing was a bust and the most hardcore fans lost a lot of money. Also Tokimeki 3 was horrendous.
I actually wrote about this for Bitmob but they're gone now. My only games piece ever!

Oct 27, 2017
I gotta say he kinda lost me a the Tennis Monster part... like is he serious with the 88 unpublished novels or whatever? I honestly can't tell.

It was a fascinating dive into something I had never, ever considered before. Looking forward to the cyberpunk review. Hope he tackles Ibara, now that would be something.

UnsungVagrant

Dec 11, 2017
Such a great video. I loved his karaoke antedote and I always get a laugh when he references the Japanese tough guy talk from his ffvii vids.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This review was a surreal trip. I don't think I have had a bigger motivator to restart my Japanese lessons. The amount of Wanikani reviews I have waiting on my account could fill a parking spot in the Library of Congress's parking lot.

IzzyRX